Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My test drive of the 991

I had a 991 Carrera S PDK for 90 minutes today.

The weather was not great,  with some wet rods and as I got the car at 15:45, there was the end of day traffic.

DSCN0878.JPG

I am not going to comment too much about the exterior look, exept that I do find the front pumper/intakes/blinkers to be a flaw in the design . No harmony, unnecessary gimmick ( the black plastic that is towards the center of the car in front intakes ) , and the blinkers still would fit better a lexus then a Porsche. The line that goes to the outside after the blinkers is also not my taste and does not suit the car to me . I bet the 991.2 will fix this , just as it did with 997.1 to 997.2

Here is a comparaison:

DSCN0869.JPG

DSCN0871.JPG

The new shape of the lights is nice.

DSCN0872.JPG

As to the inside, it is nice and feels more luxurious  and spacious , but I am still not a fan of the big central tunnel. I do find it intrusive . The PDK gear lever does also hide some of the buttons, as it is now so high. As RC has said, Porsche should make a smaller and more sporty looking lever. I bet this will also be a new option on 991.2

The back is also a bit too tamed to me, maybe with the ducktail option the car will look more sporty.

DSCN0882.JPG

DSCN0881.JPG

Now the driving impressions :

The car feels immediately more ' luxurious' as the chassis/suspensions filters all bumps  and roads joints/holes ...whatever.  I was driving the car mainly in sports mode with the suspension setting in hard , and that was still much softer ( or should I better say , more comfortable ) then normal PASM mode on my 997 with sport chassis.

I tried the car on very bumpy roads, where usually everything shakes and I have to hold tire on the steering wheel, but with the 991, nothing of this. The car stays in his line, and filters all the bumps.  A sporty driver might be a bit disappointed, but the wife will surely appreciate Smiley On the highway, it was extremely smooth.

DSCN0894.JPG

DSCN0891.JPG

The understeer has gone !!!!!!!!!!! That is now so different. One can enter tight corner with much greater speed then with the 997, and the car just rolls around the corner . Very nice ! Through round a bouts it is also so much faster.

The down part is that as one can enter with much more speed into the curb, the back tends to slide  also faster . ( It happened to me twice on the wet roads Smiley ) But generally the car is easier to drive fast , more confidence inspiring as the front feels planted , and generally all is more neutral. New customers will like that. The older ones might regret a bit that slow enter,  then waiting to have all the weight on the back wheels , feel it glued to the ground, and accelerate out of the curb.  But I was definitly felt I was faster with the 991 on the slippery roads then with the 997.

DSCN0885.JPG

DSCN0883.JPG

I forgot to mention the sound : it is now loud, and you can hear all the ' burps and grawl' when you lift the foot front he accelerator.  At some stage I did actually feel the sound was nearly too much , as you can hear the ' echo chamber' and that makes the sound nearly a bit artificial ( which it actually is )

DSCN0884.JPG

DSCN0886.JPG

The engine does pull better then in my 997.2 and feels more torkey , but that is not the main difference.

The brakes bite better .

The steering is still very precise, but is also very ' soft' and ' comfortable ' . You feel the road but you do not feel the rocks on the roads anymore. Again, new customers will love it, older ones might regret the steering of the 997.1  ( the 997.2 already lost some to the feed back )

The new PDK is faster and better tuned.

So, to me, generally, this car has not made me want to go and order it , as I did not feel I was gaining much compared to my 997.2 .

If you are looking for more stability, easier driving, more comfort, more ' luxurious' feel, and being faster at the same time, the this car is for you.

As I had anticipated....... I am looking for something more ' raw'  . I will not jump on the Carrera S 991, unless the car with all the sport options will feel different.

Otherwise I will wait for the GT3 to make my choice.

DSCN0889.JPG

DSCN0890.JPG

DSCN0893.JPG

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Re: My test drive of the 991

Great review Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

Very pleasant review, I think I can relate to your findings!

Thanks for the effort!

Thank you Gnil! Great write up!! kiss and nice scenic pictures wink

--

Many thanks for this report. That is much more and fare better for my understanding than the short reviews you can read in the magazines in this dayskiss

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Great report and very nice pics  Smileycan you elaborat a bit more on your PDK findings please!

J.Seven

Thank you very much Gnil - for the great pics and the honest report Smiley It  makes a big difference reading a first hand review from a Porsche buddy rather than from a car journalist Smiley Now  I am afraid that the new Boxster will show the same characteristics Smiley Waiting for the new GT3 will be the right decision for you - and if you become unpatient you can't go wrong with a 4.0 L RS Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Gnil:

So, to me, generally, this car has not made me want to go and order it , as I did not feel I was gaining much compared to my 997.2 .

Otherwise I will wait for the GT3 to make my choice.

Nice review and I am also eager to see what they do with the next GT3.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Thanks for a useful review.  I have to agree with your conclusion - wait for the GT3.  Smiley

Thanks for a very informative report Gnil. Would be very interesting to hear more reports about the S-PASM -20mm. Unfortunately very few of them at the dealers from the beginning.

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

Thanks, Gnil - very interesting Smiley
    --

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Awesome review and pictures! I hope one day a "Carrera R" model comes!

Fantastic Gnil!

Thank you for a great report and nice pics!

Thanks for the review. 

From your report, I get the impression that the concerns about the steering system may have been overblown. It seems like the steering is in keeping with the new general tuning of the car; you don't single it as a weakness.

Regarding the sound, did the car in question have the sports exhaust?

Many thanks for this write-up Smiley

It is a pity they launch this car in winter time. Thus, we need to wait for the test cars with summer tires until we can feel the steering and traction with real tires Smiley

good writeup. thanks

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

thanks for sharing - so let's wait for the GT3 indecision

thanks for that

the first real life review of the 991 for me.

one question.

why every new version seems to be less "raw" than the previous one?  steering, handling everything seems to be very artficial (or safer)...

are drivers nowadays getting lazier and lazier?  

or are car manufacturers only target people who buy "sports" cars so they can cruise around town?

I hv been eyeing the 991 with great interest and expectation, lso hoping it to be my next car but the looks and initial reviews kinda put me off.... maybe I should find a nice preloved 997 GT3 or TT instead.

--

BMW 1 M + C63. 

Superb review Gnil - many thanks..kiss

I would also be interested to know how you found the PDK to be different from your 997.2?  wink

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Thank you for the review!

I wonder what difference winter tyres make in handling and steering feel compared to summer tyres. I presume, you have winter tyres fitted on your 997.2 too, so you are comparing like with like, but some characteristics of the new "friendlier" chassis might be accentuated on winter tyres. What is your opinion?

--

"Form follows function"

MKSGR:

It is a pity they launch this car in winter time. Thus, we need to wait for the test cars with summer tires until we can feel the steering and traction with real tires Smiley

I got one with summer tires, don't worry. Smiley  I just didn't have the time to summon up my experience, sorry about that.

Next week maybe...during my nightshift. Smiley

I don't agree with Gnil's findings about the design but I'll get back to that in the full review.

On a short note, I think that the new 991 Carrera S actually feels and drives sportier than the last generation 997 GT3...just trying to make a point here. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

the car is at least 130kgs heavier than a 997 GT3 with less HP - so let's no exaggerate.....

RC:
    MKSGR:

I got one with summer tires, don't worry. Smiley  I just didn't have the time to summon up my experience, sorry about that.

I don't agree with Gnil's findings about the design but I'll get back to that in the full review.

On a short note, I think that the new 991 Carrera S actually feels and drives sportier than the last generation 997 GT3...just trying to make a point here. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

You have to keep up, man! 

This guy just took the honors of being the first one here with the 991 driving review! Smiley

SmileySmiley

RC:
    MKSGR:

--

That sounds promising Smiley SmileySmileySmiley

BjoernB:

the car is at least 130kgs heavier than a 997 GT3 with less HP - so let's no exaggerate.....

I do not. It is much easier to drive fast and if you put equally skilled drivers behind the steering wheel of both, I bet that the 991 Carrera S would be as fast or even slightly faster on the track.

Weight is crucial but I think that especially the Panamera Turbo S made a point by proving that it isn't only the weight which needs to be taken in consideration. A good setup and a lot of fancy technology can do a lot of good stuff... Smiley

--

RC:
    BjoernB:

I do not. It is much easier to drive fast and if you put equally skilled drivers behind the steering wheel of both, I bet that the 991 Carrera S would be as fast or even slightly faster on the track.

Weight is crucial but I think that especially the Panamera Turbo S made a point by proving that it isn't only the weight which needs to be taken in consideration. A good setup and a lot of fancy technology can do a lot of good stuff... Smiley

Over one lap, sure.

But a one lap session is pretty boring...

A hot laptime gives a good indication of how the engineers have overcome the burden of additional weight due to design, safety, comfort, gadgets, etc.

But if you really want a sporty car for trackdays or moutainpasses trips, the rule is simple, light is right.

I like that with Porsche, there is an obsession about weight that is almost too extreme with this company.

I have no doubt a 991 with all the right options can be quicker than a 997 GT3 on one lap on the right track, but over 10 laps, I really don't think so.

The Panamera Turbo S would have no brakes nor tyres after 10 laps...Smiley

10 laps is a bit extreme for amateur fun driving, don't you think ? 

--

Futch:
    RC:
    BjoernB:

Over one lap, sure.

But a one lap session is pretty boring...

A hot laptime gives a good indication of how the engineers have overcome the burden of additional weight due to design, safety, comfort, gadgets, etc.

But if you really want a sporty car for trackdays or moutainpasses trips, the rule is simple, light is right.

I like that with Porsche, there is an obsession about weight that is almost too extreme with this company.

I have no doubt a 991 with all the right options can be quicker than a 997 GT3 on one lap on the right track, but over 10 laps, I really don't think so.

The Panamera Turbo S would have no brakes nor tyres after 10 laps...Smiley

So why do you think they hadn't made the Panamera lighter, if so obsessed with the weight? Chassis/size restrictions? SmileySmiley

So why do you think they hadn't made the Panamera lighter, if so obsessed with the weight? Chassis/size restrictions? SmileySmiley

I was talking about their sports cars and race cars.

The Panamera is a sporty sedan, not a sports car.

RC:

10 laps is a bit extreme for amateur fun driving, don't you think ? 

I don't think so. It's the standard session duration for a sportscar on a trackday I would say.

One lap to warm up the tyres, a good 8 laps of fun and one lap to cool the brakes.

On a F1 track like Monza, that's about 20 minutes.

I remember my first trackdays with my 2003 Boxster S, I would drive for 20 to 30 minutes.

That's why those laptimes have to be taken with a pinch of salt from the media, yes it's really cool that a Panamera Turbo S can lap quicker than a GT3, but for those who enjoy trackdays, the fun is in driving several laps.

A good trackday with a GT3 would be 4 sessions of 20 to 30 mins I'd say.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM