Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My test drive of the 991

I was talking about amateur sports car driving, not racing. Who would race a 991 Carrera S ? I wouldn't.

If you refer to trackdays, I'm not sure what you mean: A friend of mine races in the Alpenpokal in a GT3 and yes, a 991 Carrera S wouldn't really stand a chance after a couple of rounds but this is not what I meant.

For regular trackdays, nothing serious and without knives between the teeth, I think that the 991 Carrera S can do the job without getting in any serious trouble.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC:

I was talking about amateur sports car driving, not racing. Who would race a 991 Carrera S ? I wouldn't.

If you refer to trackdays, I'm not sure what you mean: A friend of mine races in the Alpenpokal in a GT3 and yes, a 991 Carrera S wouldn't really stand a chance after a couple of rounds but this is not what I meant.

For regular trackdays, nothing serious and without knives between the teeth, I think that the 991 Carrera S can do the job without getting in any serious trouble.

Sorry I should have been more precise.

By trackday, I mean open days for GT cars, no racing at all.

A bit like RMA trackdays  or Pistenclub, or events like rallye de Paris etc.

a 991 would be perfectly fine, I did two rallye de Paris with my 997 Carrera S, but over a 30 minutes session, the lighter GT3 has a clear advantage, that's what I meant.

Alot has already been said about the car so will i have more to say. I got the car in my hand this morning at 9.30 am. Weather conditions: Raining and cold.

Get in the car with my girlfriend next to me, look the inside and said well, nothing really new compare to my cayenne S. Talking about the functions and the central consol. Just find  that the knocks for the AC are really small, you need lady fingers to press it on or of angry and a bit to close up from the radio panel ... but this is a details. I didn't really concentrate on the inside details.

Start the engine and putt directly in sport, left the Porsche Center and went on a small road for test. The shift padels on the steering wheel are for me ok as they are similar to the Cayenne, nothing special and i like them.

To change gear it's ok but not as i would expect, hope that on GT3 will be really good. Then the sound as you change the gear, i kind of like it. I did a test with a friend standing outside to be sure that as the sound of the exhaust, is similar as the inside. The result is almost similar to the inside noise. When you give gas and then get off, you can hear the overrun from the exhaust, it's kind of a nice impressions and it gave me the feeling to hear my Cooper Sangry. Sound that i adore. If you go from the third gear into second you can, from outside also hear a nice sound. So i find the sound of the exhaust quite good.

Now about acceleration. Really nice feeling. you press and the car respond. then from the handling, i really like it alot, the car goes nice into corners and even that the car has not the PDCC, the car gets nicelly into the curve and  you can nicelly play with the gaz pedal to get out of the curve with or without slide. Once you switch off PSM, then it's really fun. Just has to press on the gaz and the car does what you want it to do, so in a round turn or round about it's funny.

i just got surprised with the feeling in the steering wheel. Not easy to feel it.  If the car start to slide you can feel in the steering wheel how the car does his slide correction. Sorry if my explanation is not so good.

what i hate. The roof, really not a good point for me to get the roof sliding on the top of the back roof, i'm sure they calculate all that but not sure that you are not losing speed with the roof like this. Sure it's minimum if you lose something but i wonder yes. For a car been a basic car and  not the GT3, i'm really positiv about it and i'm sure that if you do go on race track with it, you will get some nice sensation. I'm not comparing to a race driver but a daily driver will find his pleasure with this car on the track.

to conclusion: really nice car and really looking forward to discover more about it thru my work.

--

997 GT3,Cayenne S, Cooper S & VW Cross Polo

The pum pum pum when you lift off the gas is called overrun.Smiley

I agree with you about the roof. It is so ugly!Smiley

Headroom was not really an issue on the 996/997, and all that for a sunroof that is only 15% bigger???

What a shame bc I love sunroofs, but this one is awful when opened!

Apart from that, what a beautiful car!!!Smiley

thanks for the overrun correction. Smiley

--

Yes, I agree...the new sunroof looks horrible. What were the designers thinking ?

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Cram:

i just got surprised with the feeling in the steering wheel. Not easy to feel it.  If the car start to slide you can feel in the steering wheel how the car does his slide correction.

Thank you for your comments.

Because the new electric steering is the most talked about issue, could you please elaborate more on your comment above.

--

"Form follows function"

Last saturday in Porsche 991 presentation in Lisbon, when i was seated on the car (with the new sunroof) i also felt that it have less space between head and roof, compared with the normal sunroof on the 997.

Btw, thank`s Gnill! Very good review!

wink

RC:

Yes, I agree...the new sunroof looks horrible. What were the designers thinking ?

I agree, why changing a roof that looks and work perfectly or almost perfectly into a roof that is Smiley And i don't think that if facelift, this part will be re ajusted.

--

Futch:
    RC:

10 laps is a bit extreme for amateur fun driving, don't you think ? 

I don't think so. It's the standard session duration for a sportscar on a trackday I would say.

One lap to warm up the tyres, a good 8 laps of fun and one lap to cool the brakes.

On a F1 track like Monza, that's about 20 minutes.

I remember my first trackdays with my 2003 Boxster S, I would drive for 20 to 30 minutes.

That's why those laptimes have to be taken with a pinch of salt from the media, yes it's really cool that a Panamera Turbo S can lap quicker than a GT3, but for those who enjoy trackdays, the fun is in driving several laps.

A good trackday with a GT3 would be 4 sessions of 20 to 30 mins I'd say.

Agreed.  Our local trackdays usually consist of at least three sessions of 20 minutes each.  On a circuit where most 911s should be lapping in about 1:30, that easily translates into 10+ laps per session.  This is not racing, just fun trackdays for owners of Porsches (and, sometimes, other sports cars).  Any sports car worth the name should be able to handle that without shredding its tyres and frying its brakes.  Smiley

reginos:
    Cram:

i just got surprised with the feeling in the steering wheel. Not easy to feel it.  If the car start to slide you can feel in the steering wheel how the car does his slide correction.

Because the new electric steering is the most talked about issue, could you please elaborate more on your comment above.

I'll try reginos.

ok how can i explain this. Let's imagine that you are in slide with your Carrera and the PSM is on. You come in one of those round abound and you turn left in and put gaz. the car will slide and as it slide and as the steering wheel is now electric, you feel the correction of the PSM. Those correction sensations in the steering wheel are really soft, it's not a huge bang and you lose your steering wheel.

I'm sure that they will be owners they will even not realise that it does that. hope i could explain it better for you

--

Cram:
    reginos:
    Cram:

I'll try reginos.

ok how can i explain this. Let's imagine that you are in slide with your Carrera and the PSM is on. You come in one of those round abound and you turn left in and put gaz. the car will slide and as it slide and as the steering wheel is now electric, you feel the correction of the PSM. Those correction sensations in the steering wheel are really soft, it's not a huge bang and you lose your steering wheel.

I'm sure that they will be owners they will even not realise that it does that. hope i could explain it better for you

I understand. Thank you!

--

"Form follows function"

Roof is not great, but looks much better in person.  Not a deal breaker for me...

The sunroof is part of the reason I am considering a 991 cab, at least US buyers now have a choice if they want a coupe without the sunroof.

Agree that stylistically the front bumper treatment/intakes/blinkers are really out of character with how a 911 should look, I also hope they "fix" this with 991.2.

Still looking forward to driving one, but I'm thinking the 981 might end up closer to the sports car I'm looking for.

Really enjoyed  the review Gnil, thanks. kiss

Whats a 981? Pardon my ignorance

Upsa:

Whats a 981? Pardon my ignorance

The new Boxster coming next year.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

10 laps is a bit extreme for amateur fun driving, don't you think ? 

When I go to open track days (almost every Friday here), I often drive until I need more fuel (small 12 gallon tank).  Somewhere around 45 minutes for the average session - then refuel and do it again (and again)...

I am often tired after 1/2 day (cheaper rates), but sometimes I do this for a whole day and can have 3 hours of hot lapping in a day.

My friend with a Corvette often needs new tires (brand new slicks) just after lunch - mine last for 10 days of this (and my brake pads last even longer - rotors were changed after 5 seasons and were still thicker than spec).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

I would tend to disagree with all the negatives about the new design elements - blinkers, etc. I find them very sleek and modern and the 997.2 seems like an outdated and old model in comparison. The 991 have a lot more presence and agile look overall.

I think however that we all can agree on that independent of how the new 911 would have been designed by Porsche there would be people who loves it and people who hates it and people who are neutral...

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

Lukas:

I would tend to disagree with all the negatives about the new design elements - blinkers, etc. I find them very sleek and modern and the 997.2 seems like an outdated and old model in comparison. The 991 have a lot more presence and agile look overall.

I think however that we all can agree on that independent of how the new 911 would have been designed by Porsche there would be people who loves it and people who hates it and people who are neutral...

SmileySmiley

Thanks for the review.

I don't like the part where you feel that you're sitting on a sofa in a living room without feeling any bumps, that's just wrong in a 911  angry

I just don't get sunroofs. Even in South Africa they are IMO a waste of time: simply too noisy. I only ever used the tilt function to create some ventilation - anything more is just annoying...
    --

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

@Gnil and/or Cram - Two questions...

Did the cars you tested have the Electronic Steering Plus option or not? Would be great if you culd elaborate around this further.

Also - was the car equipped with PDCC or not?

Thanks!

--

On Order: 991 C2S Basalt Black/Black - PDK, PSE, SPASM, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.2 C2S Meteor Grey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, etc.
    Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, etc.

Thanks for the review Gnil and Cram !! kiss So far it seems a step forward for new owners but for purist not so much.

@Gnil, was the 991S equipped with PSE ??

Tomorrow after work will have available a demo car untill Friday !!! i cant seriously WAIT !!!!! Will do a photoshoot side by side of our 997.1 targa 4S vs 991 S.

--

Lukas:

@Gnil and/or Cram - Two questions...

Did the cars you tested have the Electronic Steering Plus option or not? Would be great if you culd elaborate around this further.

Also - was the car equipped with PDCC or not?

Thanks!

Lukas your questions have the answer in my report. but here the answer. Car had no PDCC and had the electronic steering option

--

Alex18_996CC:

Thanks for the review Gnil and Cram !! kiss So far it seems a step forward for new owners but for purist not so much.

@Gnil, was the 991S equipped with PSE ??

Tomorrow after work will have available a demo car untill Friday !!! i cant seriously WAIT !!!!! Will do a photoshoot side by side of our 997.1 targa 4S vs 991 S.

Alex18_996CC, i was driving the same car as Gnil and i can't tell if it had PSE or not. I would say yes but with no guaranty. Sorry. Enjoy the car tomorrow. looking forward to your photoshoot

--

Thanks all for your comments. Sorry I did not have the time to answer sooner.

My reports was brief and left out quite some bits, but I just wanted to put my first impressions and sensations on this short test drive . I am sure we will find out much more with further testings of fellow renntemers.

@J.Seven + John H : The PDK changes gears faster then before  and when down shifting there ar more  shorter ‘bleeps’ ,  and it just feels generaly more harmonious . Just right .

@P-J : I was actually wondering where you are. Nice to see youa round !

@Lukas : Yes, it would be nice to try S-PASM -20mm, and find out more about it.

As my 997.2 is a S-PASM -20mm, I compared the 991 to that setting.

I don’t know if it had the Electric Steering PLUS . It did not have PDCC

@KMM : Yes, the car had PSE . And the new steering does go with the rest of the car, thus making the whole experience more ‘ confortable’  ( I dont’ know how people interprete the word ‘ confortable’ when I write it.  ) It is no sedan feel, but the ride is smoother.

@MKSGR + Reginos : Yes, the car had winter tyres and It would be different with summer tyres + the roads were cold, and slippery  on many parts.  The winter tyres do make the ride a bit softer and accentuate the lightness in the steering wheel.

@derder : I hope you can try one soon to see by yourself  how the car feels and get your own opinion, as we are all a bit different on how we perceive the cars we drive and put emphasis on different things.

@RC :  about the deseign of the front intakes / bumper : As much as I tried I do not like it . Anyway, this is a detail and esteatics is just a personal preference.

I do not agree on your comment that the 991 drives sportier then a GT3 . Come on, just jump in one and everything is more sporty and raw in a GT3. Now you may have a different interpretation of the word ‘ sportier’ then me.

I agree 100% that the 991 will be faster in the hands of most people then a GT3 997.  That’s waht I am saying when I say the car is more ‘ comfortable’ . Everything is easyer to handle. The car is more neutral, there are no parisate comming from the heavy back, the steering is smoother, the car inspires much more confidence etc…. But that is not more sporty to me, even if it more efficiant.

@BiTurbo : Don’t get me wrong. The car is not a sofa !!! It still feels like a sports/GT car , but much more refined as all big bumps are filtered and the car stays more stable , thus making it more ‘ confortable’  ( but not confortable as in a sofa !! J  )

The PASM is actually very good in that sence and has progressed a lot . Even in sport setting , the suspsensions works and does not become jsut hard.

As to track days for amateurs, my experience is that the sessions are usually 30 minutes. So you can easely do 10 laps.  I do for example know that my brakes and street tyres are ok  ( compared to a GT3 with cups ) for 2 laps, then tyres and brakes are too hot and I can’t keep the same pace.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Finally the new Panamera Coupe is here angry if the engine would not be in the back one could even call it the new 928 mail
    Personally, I dont like the direction this is going. the 911 is losing its sporty feel and look - of course thanks to the good engineering work even my mom can now lap the Ring in 7:40 enlightened
    Real shame. perhaps I am an old school Porsche driver who still likes driver involvement.

I also dont like the new trend that all cars are designed so similar - inside and out - sure it saves costs but what is the point

Sorry, really wanted to like the car - perhaps the test drive will change my view in the spring

--
    Off enjoying my car...

100% agree - I am lined up for a testdrive as well but then now in CH the cars will mostsurely have wintertires already....let's see broken heart

TEE:

Finally the new Panamera Coupe is here angry if the engine would not be in the back one could even call it the new 928 mail
    Personally, I dont like the direction this is going. the 911 is losing its sporty feel and look - of course thanks to the good engineering work even my mom can now lap the Ring in 7:40 enlightened
    Real shame. perhaps I am an old school Porsche driver who still likes driver involvement.

I also dont like the new trend that all cars are designed so similar - inside and out - sure it saves costs but what is the point

Sorry, really wanted to like the car - perhaps the test drive will change my view in the spring

--
    Off enjoying my car...

Did you already test drive the 991 Smiley Just asking as you might should do this before forming such a view SmileySmiley

TEE:

I think Porsche do this on purpose in order to be able to offer a whole range of 911s. A Carrera for your mother and a GT3 RS for you.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690825 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410079 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256159 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235379 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65734 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858753 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775040 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM