Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My new Carrera GTS has (finally) arrived...

GTS1 019a.JPG

After a wait of 6 long months, I finally collected my Carrera GTS on Friday.  (In fact, Budster and I collected our cars from the same dealer no more than two hours apart).  It was a wait made all the more painful by the fact that I was Porscheless for 5 of those months - my agreement with the OPC required me to deliver my 997.1 C2S by the end of June to guarantee the good trade-in valuation they had offered me).  Anyway, all's well that ends well and in this case the wait was certainly worth it.

It feels a little strange to be posting about collecting a new car when, in the eyes of many, that car will already be "old" - so for those who are purely focused on the 991 and have already decided that the 997 belongs to history, please stop reading HERE.  Smiley

As an aside, I gathered some interesting stats from the dealer: In total, 73 GTS coupes and 18 GTS cabs have been sold in the South African market.  Of the 73 coupes, mine is the only manual - while, similarly, only one of the cabs is a manual.  Also, since its launch, a total of 15 GTS4s have been sold in the local market (8 coupes and 7 cabs) - and all of them were PDK.  This implies that out of a total of 106 GTS/GTS4 models sold in this market, only 2 are manual, with mine being the only manual GTS coupe in the entire country.  Talk about exclusivity!  (Before I get bombarded with self-righteous messages educating me on the meaning of exclusivity, let me hasten to add that that was meant as a JOKE).  Smiley

Initial driving impressions?  It's a little early to be too specific, since my roundhouse tour of the Cape Peninsula yesterday added only 200 km and - more importantly - I'm trying to take it easy during the run-in period (shifting up by or before 4,500 rpm and generally trying to be gentle with my right foot - which is proving to be incredibly difficult).  Smiley

What I can say is that this car feels terrific - taut and properly sorted, with all of the controls (steering, throttle, clutch, gearbox, brakes) being properly weighted and responsive.  Apart from the sport exhaust and sport chrono package, my spec also included the -20mm Sport PASM suspension with limited slip differential - and it was a good choice.  While some may feel that this makes the ride too hard on less-than-perfect roads, I think it's just right (and I haven't even fuly experienced the effect of the LSD yet).  I left the short-throw gearbox off my spec list and, again, I think it was a good choice - the standard gearbox already has a fairly short throw, with a very satisfying, mechanical feel to the shift.

How does the GTS stack up against my 997.1 C2S?  Again, it's early days, but my first impression is that the GTS is definitely a step ahead.  It just feels that little bit more special and inspires a great deal of confidence.  I can already feel the effect of the additional 53 bhp and the DFI engine obviously has a somewhat different feel and sound to it - while the PSE doesn't quite measure up to the throaty sound of the one on my C2S, it does add a satisfying soundtrack.  The GTS is obviously not a GT3, which remains the ultimate trackday tool - but given that tracking opportunities here are few and far between, my car will spend 95% of its life on the road, and it feels like the perfect compromise for that purpose.

To hasten the run-in process (and have some fun along the way), I've decided to take off a week or more to explore the +- 25 mountain passes in the Western Cape.  It will take a lot of discipline not to plant my right foot, but I can't think of a better way to run in (and bond with) my new GTS than taking it on an extended road trip.  I'll be covering a lot of the same ground as Easy and will certainly post some pictures when I return - having seen some of his pics from previous trips, I'm sure mine will not match up in quality, but at least there'll be a 911 in the foreground.  Smiley

I took a few pictures yesterday, but later discovered that the memory stick had failed and corrupted most of my pictures.  Smiley   Fortunately, I managed to scrounge some pics from my son (taken on his iPhone, so the quality's not great).

GTS3a.JPG

Re: My new Carrera GTS has (finally) arrived...

Had a bit of a problem there with posting all the pictures, so here are a couple more.

The first is an interior shot.  In addition to the "full leather" option (which retains alcantara in strategic areas like steering wheel, gearstick, handbrake, seatbacks, etc), I decided, as an afterthought, to add "rear section of central console and trim strip switch panel painted in exterior colour" to my spec - and I must say I quite like the effect of the white trim.  It breaks the monotony of the black and grey, and adds a nice sporty touch.  I'm sure some would disagree, but I like it.

The blue car in the background of the second shot is my new daily driver - a Clio RS 200 Cup (in Gordini trim, as this is the only way to spec the optional, stiffer "Cup" suspension in the SA market).  After a number of years of using my Porsches as DDs, I finally decided to go a different route.  My daily commute is so short that the engine doesn't even warm up properly by the time I get to work, while my car is parked in an airport parking garage for the duration of every second week - so it made sense to acquire a DD.  My criteria in selecting a car for this purpose were that it had to be (relatively) cheap, small and - importantly - fun to drive; i.e. a hot hatch.  I must say that the Clio has fulfilled this spec very nicely - it's a little pocket rocket, with a 2 litre NA engine, +- 200 bhp, high-revving, short-geared, and guaranteed to put a smile on my face every time I drive it.  Who said commuting had to be boring?  Smiley

GTS1 014.jpg

GTS1 016.jpg

Many, many congrats PureBlue on taking delivery of your new Carrera GTS. It looks fabulous!

Driving some great mountain passes is a great way to enjoy the first few days and weeks with it and to bond with it :)

Hope you have a lot of fun !!!

I can't wait to see those places myself in a few day's time!

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

GTS Coupe with manual gearbox and -20mm suspension, fantastic car PureBlue! the perfect combination IMO!  wink

--

Very nice congrats!! kiss

--
    Happy Driving

Congrats PureBlue!  That is truly a beautiful car.

The view from your garage is spectacular and the pic of your GTS on the side of the road is gorgeous. kiss

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Thanks for the extended report !!!! Nice to have an exclusive car indecision   I guess the break in will be done quickly . Have fun on those mountain passes .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Wow fantastic! I'll read your extensive report tomorrow, looking forward to it already!
    Congrats with the beauty, and get in touch with budster asap to go for a combined photoshoot PLEASE!!! :-)

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Very nice addition to family. Enjoy her in good health Pureblue. wink

--

ONUR

11 E92 M3 CP 

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Congratulations, mate! Very good choice on both cars, like the idea that you chose very personally-pleasing options. The Gordini certainly fits perfectly to your username but assume that you might still want to change to PureWhite. Or Snowwhite...?

kiss

Many congrats Pureblue, I know exactly how you feel...kiss

Perhaps, in a few weeks, you will feel like adding the rear stone guards in black?

I wasn't sure at first but, believe me, it's a massive plus to the overall appearance of the car.

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Many congratulations Pureblue. May you enjoy it in good health.

2nd picture is FANTASTIC - what a shape the 911's have........

Congratulations, beautiful car and the white color is just perfect for the Coupe ! kiss

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Big big congratulations on the acquisition, PureBlue, thanks for sharing your experience. I admire your individual specification, both the -20mm and manual option, two things that make your car stand out, imho.

Kudos to your DD-choice as well, for a short daily commute, nothing trumps a decent hot-hatch, and as far as hot-hatches go, nothing trumps the Clio 200 Cup. kiss

Congrats, very nice car and perfect time of year to take delivery. wink

Thanks for all the good wishes, much appreciated.  Smiley

@Ferdie: The origin of my username was that I originally tried to order my GTS in Pure Blue (the colour of the 997 Speedster), and I was happy to pay extra for it as a PTS option - but Porsche refused my request.  I think this was due to the fact that it was too close to the end of the 997's production run and also because the colour was reserved for exclusive use on the Speedster.  I briefly considered changing to PureWhite, as you suggest, but coming from a country with a long history of racial oppression, I decided that might not be wise.  Smiley

Anyway, at least I have one blue car now.  In fact, I've just recently bought my wife a new BMW 125i Coupe in "Crimson Red", so my garage now looks like the French flag in red, white and blue (or like the Union Jack, if one compares it to John H's garage).

@John H: I will certainly consider getting the black rear stone guards.  I must say I'm still in two minds about this, so I'll drive the car for a few months before making a final decision.

@Porker & Ferdie: What makes this a great combo for me is that I now have what I (and evo, amongst others) consider to be the best driver's cars in two categories - the 911 in the sports car segment, and the Clio 200 Cup in the hot-hatch category.  Not necessarily the fastest, most expensive or most exclusive - but certainly with the most feel and the biggest fun factor.  What also makes this combo interesting is that these two cars are so different - with the 911 being rear-engined and RWD, while the Clio is front-engined and FWD.  I can't wait to get both of them on a track.  Smiley

Welcome to the club!!!

...great color combo...smiley

1322515548273Kashmir GTS 1.jpg

1322515603818Kashmir GTS 2.jpg

BTW...I don´t think the 997 is now with 991 on the ground an old car, especially not the GTS or other specials of 997.

I had been in similiar sitiuation as you. When ordering my GTS, I had a pretty good picture of 991 to come. Originally I always planned to move from my 997.2 S to the 991. On one side I was really moved and amazed by the GTS, and somewhat not really convinced by the 991 or maybe a little afraid it could turn out to be a 996 situation (I was shocked when the 993 was replaced by 996...). 

Then and now I am completely happy with m choice! I think the 991 is really good and nice evolution. Even with cleaner design and whatever....in my taste overall too GT like.  As said, I think its a good car and 911, likely one day I will drive one. I prefer the pure and stiffer style from 997.

....furthermore I was always about to order a paint-to-sample. Though the uncertainty on deliver made me change my mind. I think white/black is really looking beautiful!

Enjoy your car!!!

Thanks Kashmir.  I couldn't agree more - while I think the 991 looks like an incredible car in many ways, I'm perfectly happy with my choice of a GTS.  It really is the perfect 911 for me right now.  I'll wait for the special editions of the 991 (especially the GT3) to come out in a few years' time before even considering a move.

BTW I almost ordered the Sport Classic wheels - I think a white GTS with these Fuchs-style wheels (like yours) looks just fantastic.  I also like the look of the black stone guards on your car, so I'm definitely going to be considering that as an option.  Smiley

PureBlue:

... I originally tried to order my GTS in Pure Blue (the colour of the 997 Speedster), and I was happy to pay extra for it as a PTS option - but Porsche refused my request.  I think this was due to the fact that it was too close to the end of the 997's production run and also because the colour was reserved for exclusive use on the Speedster ...

If I recall correctly, someone posted a photo of a 997.2 GT3 in Mexico Blue. Could be similar to PureBlue. 

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

If I recall correctly, someone posted a photo of a 997.2 GT3 in Mexico Blue. Could be similar to PureBlue. 

Riviera Blue, actually (which is very similar to Mexico Blue, if perhaps slightly lighter).  Porsche produced quite a few of the 997.2 GT3s in Riviera Blue, although it was never officially shown as an option in the configurator.  It's quite a lot lighter than Pure Blue.  I actually tried a few other shades of traditional Porsche blue - including Riviera, Mexico and Maritime - but PAG wouldn't budge on any of them.  Smiley

Anyway, I'm quite happy with the Carrara White and it's growing on me every day, so no worries.  Smiley

PureBlue,

although a big fan of the new 991 - I can say that your car in those specs is nothing but epic. I really wish you to enjoy it as long as you can and let him serve you well.

Big kudos to you bud!

GTS1 016.jpg

Pureblue - below is the nearest photo-angle of my car that I have to yours above... 

May give you a better idea of how the black guards will look?  Smiley

P1000211a.jpg

--

John, I'm in the same position as PureBlue.  I wish I'd never seen your car, as there's nothing quite as problematic as having too many options!!

I love the black guards, but I think I love the clear ones more...  By a tiny bit!

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

I'm in two minds about this - sometimes I like the look, but from certain angles the black stoneguards look quite big and somehow too dominant.  I don't know if this makes sense, but I kind of like them even more on Kashmir's car - something about the consistent retro look of Fuchs wheels plus the black guards just seems to gel.  Maybe I should buy some Fuchs as well....wait, no, stop it.  Smiley

Yikes, decisions, decisions.  In the end I'll probably buy them just to see how my car looks with them in the flesh.  Smiley

PureBlue:

I'm in two minds about this - sometimes I like the look, but from certain angles the black stoneguards look quite big and somehow too dominant.

I also had the same dilemma when they were first fitted.  The problem is that, when they're new, your eyes are automatically drawn straight to them.  This creates the 'dominant' impression.  To be honest, I was seriously thinking about removing them.  But then you start to look at the car 'as a whole' and this gives an entirely different picture!

Also to be considered is the ugly, dirty black line that soon surrounds the clear ones.. even after washing...

Dirty guards.jpg

I didn't have mine fitted until 5 months into ownership.  By this time the clear guards were already starting to 'yellow' quite a bit, so there's also that to take into account.

Just trying to be helpful - you'll make up your own mind and, either way, you will have a beautiful car..Smiley

--

Another thing I love with the black stone guards is the reference to the past. Only people who have an interest in Porsches will understand it  kiss

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:

Another thing I love with the black stone guards is the reference to the past. Only people who have an interest in Porsches will understand it  kiss

Quite right - that's why I think they go so well with the Fuchs wheels, which are also a reference to the past (hence my earlier reference to the 'retro' look of this combo).

@John H, the cleaning and yellowing issue is certainly a powerful argument in favour of the black guards.  I don't think I've ever had a white car, but I can see how this could become an issue.  I'm 99% convinced.  Will see about placing an order with the OPC when I get back from my road trip.  Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689613 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409256 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255761 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235002 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65525 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858011 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774066 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM