Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Nine-Month Profit Rises 25% on Demand for Cayenne

SoCal Alan:
    nberry:

Regarding the Turbo, I admit that my wife was the driving force in that purchase. Had it been me I would not have bought the car. That said, I am not sorry I bought it. It is a terrific sport car so much so I have already advised my dealer to call me once they can started taking orders on the 991 TT.

You're are a wise man! Smiley

He absolutely is. If MY wife INSISTED I go out and buy a 911 TT, I would have no choice but to go along with her wishes. Smiley

--

"I don't mean to brag, but I am really good at self-deprecation."

nberry:

Once I drove th Honda, I knew immediately it was the car for me. It is comfortable, priced right, economical on gas and had an excellent ride. Of course it did not thave the power of the Cayenne but I asked myself do I need it in a UTILITY vehicle and willing to pay almost $50,000 more for it? My decison was a no brainer; Honda all the way.

Can't wait to hear your Toyota Pruis vs 991 Turbo comparison Smiley

--

http://i54.tinypic.com/i4ixbr.jpg

nberry:

I don't understand the Cayenne success. If the car was branded as a Chevolet it would be a failure. The Porsche brand really has carried this car. After owning one for a few years, I was not impressed especially when you consider the price. 

Good thing I did not go into automobile marketing.indecision

Next time I come to California, I get myself a Cayenne Turbo loaner and you join me in your wife's 997 Turbo. The track of your choosing and I bet you will have a very hard time to follow me in the Cayenne Turbo (you driving the 997 Turbo).

The Cayenne is an excellent and very sporty SUV, comparing it to a Honda SUV, any other SUV with the exception of the X5/X6 M maybe, is comparing apples to oranges.

The Cayenne, especially the Turbo, is so much fun, I really don't get it, Nick. Not this time.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Christian, my purpose in buying a SUV apparently is considerably different from yours. Do you drive aggressively in the Cayenne while your family is in the vehicle? If so, you're nuts. FWIW, apparently Porsche is connecting the dots. They will be offering a Cajun SUV and probably will be priced far less the the Cayenne.

BTW, I never extol my relatively modest driving skills. Nor should you because that attitude could get you killed especially if you believe you are the reincarnate of Sena. I would miss your occasional self-praising posts.Smiley

--

Please:  S E N N A !!!

Thanks

Blueflame Smiley

Nick, have you cosider the possibility that RC can take the Cayenne from home, drive the kids to sleepovers, drive back alone?

There are numerous times where someone will be alone in a car that can seat the whole family. In that alone time one do wish to ENJOY the car, not get bored to death.

That's the beauty of a fast SUV that handles. It is a multipurpose car, you can use it to haul people, haul stuff when needed yet it can give you driving satisfication when needed. It's like having the cake and eat it too.

nberry:

Christian, my purpose in buying a SUV apparently is considerably different from yours. Do you drive aggressively in the Cayenne while your family is in the vehicle? If so, you're nuts. FWIW, apparently Porsche is connecting the dots. They will be offering a Cajun SUV and probably will be priced far less the the Cayenne.

BTW, I never extol my relatively modest driving skills. Nor should you because that attitude could get you killed especially if you believe you are the reincarnate of Sena. I would miss your occasional self-praising posts.Smiley

--

Nick, I'm 46 years old. I had my last "self-inflicted" accident at age 19 (looking at a beautiful girl walking on the boardwalk and "kissing" the car in front of me because he stopped and I didn't...).

My secrets for 27 years of accident-free (not even hit by others, with the exception of parking lots) driving:

1. I never drive at my limit, not on a public street, not on the track. Never, not even if I'm provoked. I don't know why but there is something always keeping me from trying the limit, which is a good thing...unless of course you want to win in a professional race (the reason why I wasn't too successful during my group N Rallye racing days, I always was too worried about the well-being of my car and my co-pilot).

2. I always pay attention to others and how they drive. This has saved me from many potential accidents.

3. I always keep my cars in perfect shape, tires, brakes, engine, everything. This is why I don't like and/or trust old(er) cars.

4. I love driving, I pay attention to every detail when driving and believe it or not, I'm even using my turn signal correctly all the time. Driving like a jerk on the street reflects on the track in a way or another.

I have no points on my driver's license either and I can tell you, that I'm not somebody who drives slowly. I can spot radar traps and even laser traps, I pay attention and a very good eyesight (175% vision sharpness) helps too. Unfortunately I have trouble reading my mail without reading glasses, so somebody blessed me with a fantastic far distance viewing capability but everything else is degrading slowly. Smiley

This doesn't mean I can't make mistakes and this also doesn't mean that I drive like Senna. I probably drive better than most drivers around me but I'm not even close to somebody like Senna, I suppose this was kind of a joke.

My attitude about my driving skills is simple: I know how I can drive and I know my limitations. 

I never drive aggressively, I always drive very fast. People who ride with me for the first time, usually think that I want to show off or that I let myself provoked easily. I heard this many times. Ask my wife, she knows me and knows that I drive for me, not for others. I do not show off, never. This is not my style, on the contrary. I have however a certain driving "rhythm" which some people may consider extremely fast or aggressive. It isn't.

The reason why I would never ever drive a Honda SUV is simple: Driving fun. This is very important for me. We have a Mini Countryman Cooper S in our family and to be honest, I really don't enjoy driving it. I need power, I need that special feel of a powerful engine, it is difficult to explain. The chassis is also very important and the overall feel of the car. Take the Infintiy QX56 I drove during our last trip to Miami a week ago. Very nice and powerful engine, very comfortable and safe ride but the tires started squeaking at half the curve speeds I usually do in my X5 M. Horrible. Such a SUV can't be fun.

My daily driver is usually the family car, usually a SUV. I could easily afford a 911 GT3 RS 4.0 if I would stick with a much cheaper (and boring) family car as a daily driver but daily driver already says it all. I wouldn't want to sacrifice my driving daily driving pleasure for a few hours of pure driving ecstasy on weekends. This is like being married to a beautiful and sexy woman but cheating on her from time to time with an even more beautiful and more sexy woman. I would sacrifice my marriage and my happiness for that, so I wouldn't do it.

Bottom line is: Car guys suffer when they have to drive boring and/or slow cars. I suffer like a dog. We had a Smart as a delivery car for my company and I was driving this ugly "thing" almost every day and I hated it. I hated it so much that I was in 7th heaven when we returned back this thing to the lease company.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC: Bottom line is: Car guys suffer when they have to drive boring and/or slow cars.

Christian, you don't need to explain yourself to nick, the above paragraph says it all and one I and 99% of the members here fully subscribe. That is the reason for the demand for vehicles like the Cayenne, that is the reason some people prefer to pay extra over a japaneese or french SUV.

That is the reason why I drive a 997S-20mm as a daily driver myself, when its not the most confortable daily driver, nor the most practical, nor most spacious, doesn't give the best milage, etc but its all outweighed by not having to suffer at the wheel in "practical people mover daily drivier" type car. Life is too short.

--

RC:

Nick, I'm 46 years old. I had my last "self-inflicted" accident at age 19 (looking at a beautiful girl walking on the boardwalk and "kissing" the car in front of me because he stopped and I didn't...).

If you're going to be involved in a little fender bender, I've always believed that at least, it should involve being distracted by looking at a beautiful woman and not paying attention to your driving.  You MIGHT end up with a date, afterwards.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

SmileySmiley

I like and understand your explanation. I am more of a situational driver. There are spots where I cut the car loose and go for the gusto. Sadly, there are not many of them.

FWIW, I have tried it with the Cayenne and no matter how much I pushed it, it still was no Ferrari or 911.Smiley

Christian, pick your spots. Driving fast ages you much faster than you realize.Smiley Oh, BTW, I am older than you.Smiley

--

nberry: Driving fast ages you much faster than you realize.Smiley 

Actually Einstein says otherwise Smiley

--

You go me on that one!SmileySmiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    nberry: Driving fast ages you much faster than you realize.Smiley 

Actually Einstein says otherwise Smiley

Smiley

--

lol Carlos! Brilliant!

--

There is no try. Just do.

nberry:

SmileySmiley

I like and understand your explanation. I am more of a situational driver. There are spots where I cut the car loose and go for the gusto. Sadly, there are not many of them.

FWIW, I have tried it with the Cayenne and no matter how much I pushed it, it still was no Ferrari or 911.Smiley

Christian, pick your spots. Driving fast ages you much faster than you realize.Smiley Oh, BTW, I am older than you.Smiley

--

Nick, of course the Cayenne isn't even close to a Ferrari or 911 but if one has to drive a SUV (family car, transport tool for company, etc.), the Cayenne is the next best thing. The BMW X5 M is also a very nice family car and daily driver and I really love this car but I was always a Porsche guy and I never realized how much I would miss driving a Porsche on a daily basis. I was so stupid going for the Carrera GTS Cab, it is a fantastic car but for me...just another garage queen. I could have gone for a GT3 as well for the same money and I somehow regret not doing that.

If I would have all the money in the world, I would have so many cars in my garage, you can't even imagine. I'm crazy about cars and unfortunately my son has inherited this passion too. Poor little fellow, you should have seen him in Miami...drooling about almost every expensive sports car passing by (and there were many this time, especially Lamborghini and Porsche).

My wife found a new love in Miami...Bentley GT Speed Coupe. She was pretty sure she would get this car for her to replace her M3 Cab...until I told her how much money this thing costs. Never saw her so sad... Smiley

--

Earlier in this thread, I made comments about preferring to spend my money on actual sports cars, rather than family cars. However, I was alerted to the utter bogusness of my position when I found myself lusting after the following two vehicles.

First, the $110,000 handbuilt Icon CJ

cj_overview_2.jpg

For 1/20th of the price, I could get a real CJ anywhere around here, but I lust for the aircraft precision of this one.

Second, the $120,000 E63 Wagon.

Mercedes-Benz_E63_AMG_Wagon_Estate_18.jpg

Why do I lust after this? I dunno. Fast, fun and stylish?

So the truth is, I just don't lust after Cayennes even though I have a suspicion that if I actually had some serious seat time in a Cayenne Turbo vs the E63, I'd probably prefer the Cayenne.

So the moral is: Life is short, drive what you love.wink

--

The E63 would present one serious problem to me (actually two): Ride height and RWD. With our snowy winters and our trips to the Alps, the E63 would be completely worthless.

Without snow, I would probably take the new M5 as a family car but with rain, snow and a long winter, the Cayenne Turbo or even the Panamera would be just perfect.

--

Snow and ice are fairly infrequent here in Austin, but since I head up to Santa Fe fairly often the E63 might present problems in the winter. And it's funny to me, in the context of this conversation, that I do find the Panamera very attractive, but not so much the Cayenne.

I haven't owned a sedan (saloon, limousine) for decades -- I've always had sports cars and utility vehicles designed to carry stuff up mountains. But I look at the Maserati Quattroporto, the new Audi S8 or a nice Panamera S and think I should be rethinking my needs a little. Obviously, I need a 911, a fast four-door like a Panamera and something to haul dogs and groceries.

AND a $110,000 handmade Jeep. I have to be practical SOMEwhere!indecision

--

I like the new Cayenne because the interior looks very nice, performance is great and the exterior doesn't really attract attention. This combo is really interesting. The Panamera started to grow on me and I like it but I would only by it in Turbo or Turbo S flavor and this makes it more expensive thant the Cayenne.

--

Yes, the new one is definitely more attractive on the exterior. Haven't been in one yet but I'm sure the interior is great. The first generation was certainly very nice.

But why only a Turbo Panamera? I would have thought a 4S would have plenty of high-end speed and also be usable in winter. And also extremely well-balanced on the road.

2010-Porsche-Panamera-4S-Rear-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

--

Carrageous:

Yes, the new one is definitely more attractive on the exterior. Haven't been in one yet but I'm sure the interior is great. The first generation was certainly very nice.

But why only a Turbo Panamera? I would have thought a 4S would have plenty of high-end speed and also be usable in winter. And also extremely well-balanced on the road.

2010-Porsche-Panamera-4S-Rear-Angle-1920x1440.jpg

I love power and the 4S wouldn't be faster (0-200 kph or 125 mph) than my current BMW X5M.

Also: A 4S is pretty close, price-wise, to Turbo territory because the Turbo already has some options as standard.

In the end however, money is the most important issue since I don't know if I can afford the Turbo/Turbo S.

--

Porsche USA is offering a very nice lease deal on the Panamera 4S right now -- $1250 a month. I'm sure that price leaves lots of options out, but still it's attractive. My problem is a) I don't need one (office at home at house in the country, so if I drive anywhere I'd rather take the 911, so it's hard to justify having it just to have); and b) we're about to add a new wing onto the house, so this is not a great time.

Maybe when the new house is built...

--

1250 sounds interesting. Without any down payment ?

The lease offers in Germany for the Panamera are pretty bad, a special lease offer has just been cut down a while ago but it is still better than for the Cayenne for example. There is no special lease offer for the Cayenne available over here, not even for the Turbo. Even the Cayenne Turbo has 6 months delivery time, which is very unusual for this model in Germany. The only Cayenne available at dealers for immediate delivery seems to be the Hybrid most of the time. Apparently the Hybrid doesn't sell too well right now.

--

Correction, it's for a 4, not a 4S. $7000 down, plus taxes, etc. YMMV on the actual payment and costs. Here's the ad...

Panamera Lease.png

--

Hmm...not as good as I thought...for European lease offer standards.
    Interesting...thanks for posting.

--

Lease deals, IMHO, are never as good as they look.

Here's a helpful rule of thumb: the likelihood of an offer being good for you decreases with the number of lines of fine print below it. indecision

--

Always pay cash for shoes and cars.

A leased car cannot be taken by a divorcing wife.............

RC:

The E63 would present one serious problem to me (actually two): Ride height and RWD. With our snowy winters and our trips to the Alps, the E63 would be completely worthless.

Without snow, I would probably take the new M5 as a family car but with rain, snow and a long winter, the Cayenne Turbo or even the Panamera would be just perfect.

RC, You should also consider the newupcoming Audi RS6 Avant. Both BMW & MB can't compete with the craftsmanship & quality of Audi, and with the 4WD it will be a great news for people driving in snowy/slippery roads.

--

RC:

I like the new Cayenne because the interior looks very nice, performance is great and the exterior doesn't really attract attention. This combo is really interesting. The Panamera started to grow on me and I like it but I would only by it in Turbo or Turbo S flavor and this makes it more expensive thant the Cayenne.

I see you guys are finally starting to see the light Smiley i guess i'm ok Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690298 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409625 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255913 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235160 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65630 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858323 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774555 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM