--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Re: 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed

bluelines:

I know too, but I am not saying anything... indecision

You are mean... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Not sure what the mystery is. Word is there will be a limited addition .2GT3RS just like they did with 997. AND as they did with the R, very few will be able to order one. This car will go to the 918 owners, Porsche 1%ers and owners of dealerships (yes they buy cars to). I will put my name in with a bible in my back pocket.

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Thanks for the PM, blue.. I now know,, toooo ..kiss ...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Gnil:
    SciFrog:
    What frustrations? The California has given me less hassles than the 3 last Porsches I have owned and at least whenever there is a problem with the car, it comes back fixed which has not been the case with the Porsches...

I owned a Boxster 20 years ago and a 911 convertible 15 years ago. Getting one again would be turning back, there are cars that provide much better ownership satisfaction. A standard GTS doesn't come close.

the frustrations I was mentioning is having a GT3 that you would only drive bellow 150 km/h in around a sub urban area .  The GT3 becomes really alive  above 5000 rpm , before that you only feel the ' potential ' and the extra noises and nervousness of the engine  . 

If you want a GT3 , not a GTS,  then having your California is not logique . The California is the Boxster . So , you should have a Speciale convertible to have the extra sensory experience you say you are looking for . 

But then, in flat and straight Florida, no real sports car makes sence . A good GT might be better .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

The attraction of the 911 line is that it can have rear seats and be convertible. The only real alternative to the California would be a convertible GT3 with rear seats. It is very logical. Two seater sport cars with a fixed roof? To do what with? The only good thing they can do is the track and even then I would much rather have a GT4 club sport for that like Nick.

SciFrog:

The attraction of the 911 line is that it can have rear seats and be convertible.

I realize that is a main attraction to you, but you need to realize that there is a very small market segment who is shopping for a GT Porsche car with those same needs.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

bluelines:

You send me three PM with four different 911 and also a Cayman GT5 you are sure are coming...Smiley

and noone is right,becouse i know the truth...Smiley and you are wrongSmiley

HAHAHAHAHAHAHSmiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Not sure it is that small. Plus it is not about having these characteristics to use them all the time, it is about the possibility...

someone call Woopsy and tell him to wake up(i don't know if is day or night at his place) and send me a PM with the car he know will come,so i can tell him if is right or not...

--

We had discussed/mentioned in here before. Since Porsche hasn't officially announced anything, and I gave my word to  Frank and Andy, I really should keep my promise to them :)

I might have a chance to re-confirm how the projects are going next week. Maybe perhaps I might have a better idea.

--

Whoopsy:

We had discussed/mentioned in here before. Since Porsche hasn't officially announced anything, and I gave my word to  Frank and Andy, I really should keep my promise to them :)

I might have a chance to re-confirm how the projects are going next week. Maybe perhaps I might have a better idea.

Nick we are joking...i know you can't and rightly don't whant to talk.But you know how curious we are.be patient...Smiley

BTW i really appreciate if you can say hello from me to Andy,he was kindly with me answering a mail before my RS was delivered...(Dario Luraghi Italy).Tell him i'm really happy with the salmon RS!!Smiley

--

SciFrog:

Not sure it is that small. Plus it is not about having these characteristics to use them all the time, it is about the possibility...

A GT3 with those caracteristics does not make any sense . A GT3 is oriented for the track . The car is pretty noisy inside, is low so touches often on the speed bumps and drive ways , the suspension is very firm .

What are you looking for in a GT3 ? The look ? The engine ? The drive train ? The logo ? 

As a DD , I would love the GTS with the GT3 engine and front sharpness . But I would not want the extra inside noise, and the too low suspensions .

--

bluelines:

Maybe you can tell me in Swedish......?!!Smiley

Gnil:
    SciFrog:

A GT3 with those caracteristics does not make any sense . A GT3 is oriented for the track . The car is pretty noisy inside, is low so touches often on the speed bumps and drive ways , the suspension is very firm .

What are you looking for in a GT3 ? The look ? The engine ? The drive train ? The logo ? 

As a DD , I would love the GTS with the GT3 engine and front sharpness . But I would not want the extra inside noise, and the too low suspensions .

Why does it have to be a DD?

A fun car for the weekend that car carry the family and occasionally run an errand like picking up the kids and enough trunk to put some shopping...

In my test drive of the GT3, I found it confortable and less loud than my AM V8. Track oriented? No idea but great driving feel and you see that it is a special car.

Whoopsy:

It is really about time that you create a 2nd profile on Rennteam...Smiley

SciFrog:
    Why does it have to be a DD?

A fun car for the weekend that car carry the family and occasionally run an errand like picking up the kids and enough trunk to put some shopping...

In my test drive of the GT3, I found it confortable and less loud than my AM V8. Track oriented? No idea but great driving feel and you see that it is a special car.

The way you want to own it , Is ' s like having a Husky dog in a small flat in a warm city , poor thing ! Smiley Smiley

--

SciFrog:
    Gnil:
    SciFrog:
    What frustrations? The California has given me less hassles than the 3 last Porsches I have owned and at least whenever there is a problem with the car, it comes back fixed which has not been the case with the Porsches...

I owned a Boxster 20 years ago and a 911 convertible 15 years ago. Getting one again would be turning back, there are cars that provide much better ownership satisfaction. A standard GTS doesn't come close.

the frustrations I was mentioning is having a GT3 that you would only drive bellow 150 km/h in around a sub urban area .  The GT3 becomes really alive  above 5000 rpm , before that you only feel the ' potential ' and the extra noises and nervousness of the engine  . 

If you want a GT3 , not a GTS,  then having your California is not logique . The California is the Boxster . So , you should have a Speciale convertible to have the extra sensory experience you say you are looking for . 

But then, in flat and straight Florida, no real sports car makes sence . A good GT might be better .

--

The attraction of the 911 line is that it can have rear seats and be convertible. The only real alternative to the California would be a convertible GT3 with rear seats. It is very logical. Two seater sport cars with a fixed roof? To do what with? The only good thing they can do is the track and even then I would much rather have a GT4 club sport for that like Nick.

To drive it of course! enjoy it like its designed for. Convertible is not necessarily better, its a matter of preference and use you are going to give it. If the 911 came cabrio as no cost standard, I would pay extra to get a coupe option/version for example. I do not like what comes along with the open top, it wouldn't be a plus for me, I want fixed roof.

But getting back to the GT3, if you add 200 pounds to make a GT3 convertible, decrease the chasis rigidity by taking the fixed roof off, and soften the suspensions so the chasis can handle it then you don't have a GT3 anymore, you have a "badge" to cruise open top along a boulevard. Porsche will never do that with a GT3, and does not cater to that market. For that use you will get the same experience from a GTS Cab than from that mongrel GT3, except  the sound now that they have gone Turbo.

Rear seats is a different matter since they have no drawbacks since the space is already there and the weight gain of the cushions and seatbelt supports, ect is negligible. But its a concept thing.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I got your point but since most of the ultimate sport cars come without a top without too many compromises, starting with the 918, maybe the 911 platform is getting too old.

SciFrog:

I got your point but since most of the ultimate sport cars come without a top without too many compromises, starting with the 918, maybe the 911 platform is getting too old.

Its really apples and oranges, the 911 platform has benefits that those other do not have (rear-engined, versatility from a Carrera Cab to a GT2RS beast, etc) and those other have benefits that the 911 doesn't (can be designed specifically to be opentop, or different engine layout like mid, etc), that is why the 911 is the best known sportscar in the world and more popular with every generation, but can't cover every need, that doesn't make it old.

Look how popular even such a special nitch car like the 991GT3RS were, don't think anyone can say that its platform is getting old and you cannot find anything on the market that will provide you with the same ride and experience. I could not find a daily driver that will handle and drive like a GTS while at the same time offer such confort, practicality, and reliability. Same could be said for the usability and performance of a Turbo S Cab. And so on.

The problem is when you try to look for the concept of the other in a 911, or viceversa. That is when you can get frustrated. You are trying to find a 911 for your needs but there isn't one, you have to go elsewhere for that, like Ferrari, Aston, etc were you will be happier, just like if I tried to find an Aston or Ferrari to fit my preferences better than a 911, I wouldn't but it would not be Aston or Ferrari's fault.

--

I guess that's why Porsche is moving the engine in the next RSR angry

The 911 is a fantastic sporty DD, don't get me wrong. And that's why they sell many of them and why they managed to raise the price 60% in the last decade+ while the others struggled to do so. Any serious spor car lover has owned a variant of a 911 at some point. But look around even on this board, many have moved on for various reasons and Porsche doesn't want to build the models to bring them back (yet).

Gnil:
    SciFrog:

As a DD , I would love the GTS with the GT3 engine and front sharpness . But I would not want the extra inside noise, and the too low suspensions for me the suspension issues are over

actually, i did find the RS suspension a bit rough but since driving with a mercedes A series on the same roads i rethought the issue and i do prefer the feeling in the stiff RS. 

The RS is harsher and getting closer to what you could call a weekend track car. That is a very focused offering and it makes a lot of sense.

Carlos from Spain:
    SciFrog:
    Gnil:
    SciFrog:

--

To drive it of course! enjoy it like its designed for. Convertible is not necessarily better, its a matter of preference and use you are going to give it. If the 911 came cabrio as no cost standard, I would pay extra to get a coupe option/version for example. I do not like what comes along with the open top, it wouldn't be a plus for me, I want fixed roof.

But getting back to the GT3, if you add 200 pounds to make a GT3 convertible, decrease the chasis rigidity by taking the fixed roof off, and soften the suspensions so the chasis can handle it then you don't have a GT3 anymore, you have a "badge" to cruise open top along a boulevard. Porsche will never do that with a GT3, and does not cater to that market. For that use you will get the same experience from a GTS Cab than from that mongrel GT3, except  the sound now that they have gone Turbo.

Rear seats is a different matter since they have no drawbacks since the space is already there and the weight gain of the cushions and seatbelt supports, ect is negligible. But its a concept thing.

i very much agree to what you say but i am wondering how ferrari gets away with the 458 speciale spider version. never driven the car but it might be interesting to see how sell executed hardcore design and open top match.

Or Mc Laren... It can be done, no doubt.

SciFrog:

I guess that's why Porsche is moving the engine in the next RSR angry

The 911 is a fantastic sporty DD, don't get me wrong. And that's why they sell many of them and why they managed to raise the price 60% in the last decade+ while the others struggled to do so. Any serious spor car lover has owned a variant of a 911 at some point. But look around even on this board, many have moved on for various reasons and Porsche doesn't want to build the models to bring them back (yet).

Maybe the 960 will get the green light Smiley

--

SciFrog:

I agree with most that you said, except that Porsche is already producing enough car variants to satisfy almost all of my driving needs.

Some Porsche owners moved on because they can now afford the more expensive Ferrari and Lambo.  Doesn't necessarily mean these 2 exotic brands are better, but they are on our hit list from childhood, so why not.

On the other hand, a lot of people move into Porsche from BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc, because they can now afford the Porsche brand.  More people moved into Porsche than moving away.  Sure that most of them are buying Cayennes and Macans, but they are good performing SUVs, nothing to be ashamed of.

I was very close to getting a California last year, but the chance to get a GTS club coupe popped up and it was something that I could not reject (the car is blue).Smiley

I know I will own a Ferrari one day, but I don't know when as I'm running out of garage space. 

Having said all these, best all round daily driver for me has to be a 911.  Perfect size, more than adequate performance and handling, good enough space, and relatively low key so I can park anywhere.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Tim, I am not sure what a Ferrari would add to your garage other than a lot of attention. 

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:

Tim, I am not sure what a Ferrari would add to your garage other than a lot of attention. c

As we all know Nick, we don't need a Ferrari, but it is on my hit list so why not.  Maybe I will consider a very dark blue color to reduce the attention.Smiley 

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Ferrari has a lot of nice blue... TDF like my 612, Mirabeau, Azzuro, Nart...

Think I'm with SciFrog here.. whilst I'm not looking for a GT3 cabrio, I like cabrios and miss that aspect. You have to admit a 911 cab with a GT3 motor would be a glorious thing...

Manufacturers like McLaren have done so well with torsional stiffness of their tubs that even their cabs have superb rigidity. I get the impression Porsche are a bit behind the game in this aspect.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754303 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431218 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258777 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255714 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79725 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5260 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868693 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802492 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM