Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

A bit dropped off my GTS...!

Not a large bit but very annoying just the same..

I left the car to be cleaned at a 'hand-wash and dry' centre and when I returned the guy was very apologetic that, when drying the rear, his cloth stuck in the badge and pulled off a part of the 'S' (see below)

Before..

Rear Badge as was.jpg

After..

1318865774791Rear Badge.JPG

Rear Badge (2).JPG

Why do Porsche make these badges so flimsy... please don't tell me it's to save weight...Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Re: A bit dropped off my GTS...!

I had the same thing happen to the S on my Carrera 4S. Got caught on the fabric while drying and lifted it half way off. Didn't break like yours, but wouldn't re-stick. Had to get a new S. 

It's annoying, I know, but you can easily buy a replacement ... (although you shouldn't have to do this in the first place)!

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

That sucks John !  but honestly the people from the carwash should cover the replacement cost. It was their fault after all.

This is exactly what happened with my C2S. A wash mitt going over the deck lid broke the same piece off the S. A replacement S was $20. I tried to get it covered under warranty but had no luck.

John H:

Why do Porsche make these badges so flimsy... please don't tell me it's to save weight...Smiley

I'm annoyed myself by reading your post. When I have my car washed I dread this thing happening and I keep telling the people to be careful. I've seen it before.

OTOH if the badge was stronger the cloth would have lifted it (instead of breaking it) and your paint would most probably be damaged.

--

"Form follows function"

yep its not bad. They are light plastic bits and not meant to be strong.

A towel going from left to right that catches the edge will be broken very easily..

I'd quickly put of up for sale since you now have a Carrera GT in white (very rare)

smiley

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Just peel the rest of the S off and you get the most awesome model designation of them all... Carrera GT smiley

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

They probably make them flimsy because without permantly installing via through holes in the decklid you need to keep them very light. This area is always where I'm very mindful of the "turbo" to keep from snagging it when I wash & dry my car. It's a common thing to see happen. Also just speculating but if it was a stronger, heavier piece & still got caught, we could be looking at damage to the paint..

The center should pay for your dealer to repair but this is an easy fix if you want to repair yourself. Before you remove the old "S" I would use some blue painters tape to map out exactly where the current "S" is placed.... Then use some denatal floss to removed the letter & soap & water,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, adhesive remover (if necessary) . 

Such a beautiful car....... It would give me hives to bring my cars to a handwash center. If you don't have easy access to wash it yourself, don't you have a professional detail place that you can bring it (especially if you own it, not lease) ?

Big deal...
    The guy didn't do it on purpose and told you straightaway
    Buy a new S, fix it, and enjoy the car.

One reason I always order my cars without these badges. smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

pierre:
    Big deal...
    The guy didn't do it on purpose and told you straightaway
    Buy a new S, fix it, and enjoy the car.

Great post!!... did I catch you on a bad day...?  Smiley

I've owned Porsches for 35 years and it's never happened to me before.. The main reason for mentioning it here was to warn others to take care with the current flimsy badging.... Smiley

--

John - It's a very worthwhile heads-up for the forum. You probably have saved someone else from having the samething happen so no worries.

John, how about taking all the letters off, and go the Fawlty Towers route by rearranging them:

Car Arse (well, that would be useful on a boxster, for those that still get confused as to which end is which)

Arse Car (some might say we are a bit retentive about our cars..!)

Gear Cart (to point out that you can squeeze some golf clubs in the back)

mmmm. Maybe RC has a point!

Let's keep this quiet - I may start a craze here, and you guys wouldn't be pleased if you came back to your car after a trip to Tesco and found the local kids had re-arranged it into "Rats Cage!"

No, but another anagram of Carrera GTS is.... "Great Carrs"   kiss

--

That would bug me, John.

These operators should have public liability insurance to cover the unforeseen though.

The window cleaners were cleaning my house windows the other day when his ladder lost grip on my drive (the other guy was not footing the base of the ladder). The ladder slipped down the window crunching my window seal and then just missing my X5. The impact left deep scratches in the seal. The guy was okay lucky enough. On asking if they had liability insurance,,,,, they did not (no shock there). I had to tell them to stop and come back when they do have the cover, however, we all know of course that they will not be back. My bill to repair seal was £100, had to get it done because it would have bugged me silly, my eye would draw to it all the time.

Would you use them again, John.?.

All the best.

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

throt:

That would bug me [...]

Come on, guys... it´s a piece of decal. It´s not as if they drove around in it, flooded the trunk or scratched the bonnet. Please put this in perspective. Doesn´t mean you can´t trust them with your car anymore...

I keep wondering if the badges on older models have been attached differently as even on the aircooled models they must´ve been attached with glue.

throt:

On asking if they had liability insurance,,,,, they did not (no shock there). I had to tell them to stop and come back when they do have the cover, however, we all know of course that they will not be back. My bill to repair seal was £100

Even without insurance, aren´t they liable to their mistakes? I assume, sending in the bill, they would still have to cover the cost?

On my old 80s 911SC there were holes on the engine cover and the metal badge was inserted and secured with 3 small nuts. It seems over-engineered nowadays.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

...It seems over-engineered nowadays.

Agreed.  Plus I think the holes would be a place for moisture to accumulate.

John: does this qualify as a "flimsy, broken piece of S...?"  angry

Hope you get it replaced without too much trouble.

throt:

Would you use them again, John.?.

I've been using them for years with excellent results, both for wash/dry visits and for full detailing.

That probably explains why he told me about it at the time.  A less scrupulous operator would have said nothing and I probably wouldn't have noticed it.... for a while.Smiley

He's offered to cover the cost and I'll deduct it from his charges for my future visits...

--

Ferdie:
    throt:

That would bug me [...]

Come on, guys... it´s a piece of decal. It´s not as if they drove around in it, flooded the trunk or scratched the bonnet. Please put this in perspective. Doesn´t mean you can´t trust them with your car anymore...

Smiley

Sorry to piss you off pierre...but you've returned the sentiment, so that's okay then..1291478530483Forehead slap.gif

--

reginos:

On my old 80s 911SC there were holes on the engine cover and the metal badge was inserted and secured with 3 small nuts. It seems over-engineered nowadays.

When did they change it? I guess with the 964 or 993 they must´ve converted to those glued plastic pieces.

John H:

Sorry to piss you off pierre...but you've returned the sentiment, so that's okay then..

John,

I do understand that you feel bad about this incident but try to see the lighter side of it. On the GTS, the only place to be is behind the steeringwheel. Smiley

On behalf of Pierre, which I solely experienced as a very nice guy, I guess he meant the same.

Ferdie - I didn't appreciate his post's dismissive attitude - like..  "Big deal, why report such a trivial matter"

I've already said that I posted it to warn others that it can happen these days and, although not a major issue, still a PITA...

IMHO...If others can benefit from it - then the post is worthwhile...wink

--

I think we're all getting a little carried away here. John posted it to warn others and frankly anyone that has a new Porsche (any new car for that matter) the smallest scratch hurts. As small as someone elses problem may seem, its important to them and for that reason we should respect them. 

John, I might have been a bit rude in my first post here, yep. Ferdie's version was a bit softer, but the meaning is quite similar.

My honest and frank opinion is that if you can afford a GTS, take it easy and don't waste your time fighting the guys. Those miserable 20 or so USD/GBP/EUR for the fix most certainly don't represent much for you, but they might make quite a difference at the end of the day for these guys at the carwash. So again, relax, take it easy, fix it (or remove it all), enjoy your car and... and invite the car-wash guys for a little drive. Seriously. Next time, you can be sure they'll take even more care of your car, and they will do it with pleasure and pride. And you'll also feel much better.

@Enmanuel: I understand that John also wanted to warn others, and that's all good and nice of him. But I have to strongly disagree with you: no and definitely no, this is not an "important problem". To anybody.

Well it was important enough for him to open a thread about it. But if thats your opinion, sure ... watever.

Ferdie:
    reginos:

When did they change it? I guess with the 964 or 993 they must´ve converted to those glued plastic pieces.

In the development of the 996, Porsche engineers spent a great deal of time at Nissan (and Nissan engineers at Porsche) learning how to take costs out of production. When the 996 came out, my mechanic at the Porsche dealer took me through both, showed me where interior pieces that were attached with machine screws in the 964 were now attached with plastic snaps in the 996.

My guess is that that's when exterior trim pieces became plastic stick ons.

--

"I don't mean to brag, but I am really good at self-deprecation."

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762543 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435422 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260531 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257593 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80958 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872333 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807701 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM