Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spyshots thread (continued) (for UNRELEASED models only) Thread Closed

Agree ... one or the other, please.cheeky

--

"I don't mean to brag, but I am really good at self-deprecation."

NO PDK FOR GT3 ? Smiley

Rossi:

I'd say Aerokit and it doesn't look that good IMO. enlightened

I'd say  exactly the same  Smiley Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

***** Interview with Porsche CEO Matthias Muller *****

"The View from Weissach..."

New Porsche boss Matthias Muller stops absently stirring his coffee and fixes his piercing blue eyes on me: "Definitely not," he snaps. I'd just asked whether the increase in the size of the new 911 -- it's now more than a foot longer and almost eight inches wider than the 1963 original -- meant it was no longer Porsche's sports car. "The reason for the wheelbase increase is to improve comfort and dynamics. Walter Rohrl has driven the car 13sec faster than a 997 around the Nurburgring."

Porsche seems a touch sensitive to suggestions that the new 911 is more a GT than a pure sports car, even though one of the development goals for the car, code-named 991, was to make it more comfortable as a grand tourer. As it happens, I'd seen Rohrl, the lanky rally and race legend who's now Porsche's hot-shoe at large, the night before and asked him how the four-inch wheelbase stretch -- and the subtle repositioning of the engine further forward in the chassis -- had affected the handling. "Much better," he'd said. "The turn-in response is now very good, and the longer wheelbase gives you much more confidence."

Will there never be a Cayman that will outperform a 911? "If I look at pure performance numbers," says Muller thoughtfully, "then maybe." But then he quickly adds he believes Porsche's two sports cars are aimed at two entirely different customers -- substitution between the two cars is less than five percent in the United States. And with Turbo and Turbo S versions of the new 911 still to come -- as well as GT3 and GT2 variants -- you can bet there will always be at least one 911 variant that will be faster than even the hottest Cayman in the future.

You also get the sense the decision to develop a seven-speed stick shift may not have been part of the original 991 program; that the smooth and lightning-quick PDK seven-speed automated manual was intended to be the only transmission offered on the new 911. The seven-speed stick, which won't be available until March next year, is based on parts from the PDK transmission, and features a sequential shift lock mechanism that will only allow seventh to be selected from fifth or sixth gears -- a subtle acknowledgement that negotiating the tightly-stacked shift gate in a hurry will be tricky.

Indeed, if you look at Porsche's claimed performance and efficiency numbers, the PDK is clearly the higher-performance transmission of the two -- both the Carrera and Carrera S models with the PDK are quicker to 60 mph and more fuel efficient than the stick-shift equipped versions. But as long as the customer asks for it, says Muller, Porsche will build a stick-shift 911. The next GT3, he says, will not have a PDK transmission.

Will there be a 911 in the new line up that will surprise us? "It's too early to tell," says Muller. But be prepared for a big change with the new 911 Targa. Muller says the problem with the 997-series version is that it was "not a real Targa". So the next Targa will look more like the original, with its black roll-bar and wrap-around rear window? "We have some plans in that direction," he smiles.

Porsche is also working hard on hybrid and plug-in hybrid powertrain technologies. Could we see a hybrid version of Porsche's icon in the future? Muller doesn't rule it out: "If this [technology] will be available at 911 level is under discussion," he says simply.

With its flat-six engine still hung out behind the rear wheels, an available stick-shift, and design cues that hark back half a century to Butzi Porsche's original, the new 911 is most certainly still a car defined by its past. But Porsche's new CEO clearly sees no reason to change that: "From our point of view, the 911 is a true icon and represents all the values that are important to the Porsche brand."

Porsche-CEO-Matthias-Muller_MotorTrend-interview-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

This has to be the best angle of any photo that I've seen - a pity about the resolution. 
    To me, the "from-above" angle, as well as the shadows show the haunches really well, and makes the car look smaller that all the other low-down shots.
    I was also in the "more GT" camp, but this angle seems to disprove it.  More proof once again that it needs to be seen in the flesh...

I agree. I think this silver in this light really looks great.Smiley

--

"I don't mean to brag, but I am really good at self-deprecation."

991 Cabriolet spy pics...

c825321092011140444_1.jpg

c825321092011140444_2.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

Porsche 991 Turbo Cabrio spy pics...

13169031804621.jpg

13169031941962.jpg

13169032057283.jpg

13169032182504.jpg

13169032300345.jpg

13169032403796.jpg

13169032531357.jpg

13169032638698.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

991-Turbo-Cabrio-spy-pics_SpyShots-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

The fact that there is a sea blue top under there, pretty much confirms its a canvas wrapped hardtop.

Frankfurt Motor Show: The Future of Motorsports...

Head of Porsche Motorsport, Hartmut Kristen, on technology transfer from track to road and future developments in the world of racing...

Smiley SmileySmiley

2013 Porsche 991 Turbo Cab. Testing on Nurburgring

911 TT will have 21" wheels??? WHAT THE F#$%CK is wrong with these people?

Most of us do not live in Germany :)  Consider roads in Montreal :))  I want to go from home to work without a need of a chiropracter session :))

Calm down! The 991 TT will have 20 inch wheels.

BTW, the tires are also much larger with the 20 inch wheels, so the ride and comfort is actually improved over the 19s on the 997.

Carrara:

BTW, the tires are also much larger with the 20 inch wheels, so the ride and comfort is actually improved over the 19s on the 997.

How can that be - surely the larger wheels have to be conpensated for a lower profile so that the overall circumference is a "standard" size, so that gear ratios/speedo/odometer etc don't have to be recalibrated..?  Or is the 991 built to it's own "standard" such that the circumference is bigger than the 997..?

Come to think of it, do different model cars have different circumferences..?  Surely not - or else the man in the street would wreak havoc with his gear ratios/odo/speedo everytime he decided to change his mags/tyres..?

The wheels look larger than 20" on the pictures... At least 21"... I can be going blind also...

pjd:

2013 Porsche 991 Turbo Cab. Testing on Nurburgring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0lAl00GFN8

Smiley SmileySmiley

Budster:
    Carrara:

How can that be - surely the larger wheels have to be conpensated for a lower profile so that the overall circumference is a "standard" size, so that gear ratios/speedo/odometer etc don't have to be recalibrated..?  Or is the 991 built to it's own "standard" such that the circumference is bigger than the 997..?

Come to think of it, do different model cars have different circumferences..?  Surely not - or else the man in the street would wreak havoc with his gear ratios/odo/speedo everytime he decided to change his mags/tyres..?

Everything about the whole wheel/tire system is larger, therefore there is an extended and larger contact patch, increasing performance and making the ride smoother. 

Basically, not only are the wheels larger, the wheels wells are also larger, and the tires are larger as well.

Budster:
    Carrara:

There is no "Standard" size for all cars. Each is unique and so a new car can have higher profile tires to go along with larger diameter wheels if it was designed that way. The gear ratios etc would be done with that overall diameter in mind. No problems there! If they are using a tire size that isn't normal however alternative tire choices could be hard or $$ for a while though.

--
    Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I was out in streets of san Francisco today and saw 8 turbos on a truck. Took few pictures will post it later tonight as I Amin business meeting right now.

Need to go they are coming in, damn work :-) .
    --
    Happy Driving

Really cool video, thanks! Smiley

Is it me, or is the turbo engine so quite that all you hear is tire noise?

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

awaiting for ur photos!!! thanks for posting

Ron just sent me some nice 991 Turbo/Cab photos from San Francisco. Enjoy. (Thanks a lot, Ron !!!)

1317724277579tt1.jpg

tt2.jpg

tt3.jpg

tt4.jpg

tt5.jpg

tt6.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

kisskiss

wink

Thanks RON!!kiss

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

hmmmmm... I'm curious why they are still camouflaging the rear lights at this stage, the front lights and upper front fascia has no camo anymore, I get the rear wing and rear lower burmper bumper/grils need camo sine this will be different in theTurbo, but why the rear lights as well? will the Turbo get slightly different rear lights than the Carrera?  maybe its only to mayke it look like a 997 from the rear and call less attention to it being a 991 testmule but I think it makes it call even  more attention since those overlays over the rear lights make it even more obvious its not a normal car.

--

If I remember correctly the 997Turbo had camo on the rear lights even they ended up being the same rear lights as the Carrera.

What about that rear wing, there is no camo, so is that the final version?

Carlos from Spain:

hmmmmm... I'm curious why they are still camouflaging the rear lights at this stage, the front lights and upper front fascia has no camo anymore, I get the rear wing and rear lower burmper bumper/grils need camo sine this will be different in 

--

Still camo because the 991 Turbo hasn't been announced yet. Well...Porsche secrecy... Smiley

I know, it is kind of ridiculous and to be honest, I bet they would get tons of pre-orders if the final design/specs would be already available but hey, who am I to judge them ?! Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

In the current "Autobild" it was mentioned that the 991 Cabrio will have a special top with metal front and rear parts covered with fabric.

On such a small roof it means that only a very minor part is left with only fabric.

Also, according to the same magazine, a FL Panamera is coming in spring 2012 with the 991front look.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

I know, it is kind of ridiculous and to be honest, I bet they would get tons of pre-orders if the final design/specs would be already available but hey, who am I to judge them ?! Smiley

I would think so as well, it would make the wait harder and keep people more interested and raise more expectation IMO

--

palenimbus:

What about that rear wing, there is no camo, so is that the final version?

If they still have camo on the rear lights, then for sure the rear wing still has camo, and if you closely it seems that way since it overlaps the camo ovelays of the rear lights and also doens't fit to well into the rear deck (were the porsche scripts go). The bottom/base of that rear wing It looks too massive and out of proportion, if I were to venture a guess it will probably be a lot smaller (less bulky) and won't reach down as far.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688954 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408904 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255619 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234878 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65459 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857732 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773679 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM