Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Maserati SUV concept leaked?

Sh!t lazy, uninspired design, NO technology, NO great performance...

I sure hope for them that this is not it..

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Obvious photoshop

X6M? 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Looks like a photoshopped X6 to me...

There is a lot of chatter going on right now that Maserati is going to offer a sporty sedan below the Quattroporte next year. According to rumors, this car will have a turbo charged 6-cyl. engine and...surprise, surprise, even AWD. Price tag is also rumored to be very interesting, especially compared to the current model line.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

1315796889806Maserati-SUV-560x373-da3e5c4597e01c93.jpg

Well, everything is possible. This one however looks a little bit different.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

there is no need for a maserati SUV...the cayene is already there!, better to focus on a superb quattroporte and the little sedan..... please NO SUV...

--

993 c2

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/259169/

Maserati Kubang

maserati-suv-kubang.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Not sure I like it, looks more Asian than Italian..

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

I actually thought that Porsche made a mistake by applying a more "japanese" design attempt but compared to this, the Cayenne design is a masterpiece. Nothing really italian about this SUV, looks more like a crossover between a Nissan Qashqai and a Quattroporte with a taste of Audi Q5.

With the right price tag however, this puppy could sell but I doubt that Maserati is going to offer a bargain. At least not before the smaller sedan will be introduced.

Any performance/power figures ? Weight ?

--

Could be worse... it seems to be much bigger than Qashqai or Q5, therefore such a sleek design does not have to be a bad thing.

It's strange that the first Italian SUV comes from Maserati

I would expect other mainstream FIAT Group members to try to capture a share of this large segment.

How many could they sell? If it is in relative terms as expensive as the rest of Maserati range, not many. If  it is based on a Chrysler platform and offered at lower prices they might sell more, but still not that many.

--

"Form follows function"

Must say I really like this. They have managed to incorporate styling cues from the Quattroporte on the side and done a good job of creating a silouhette that is somewhere between an X5 and X6.

13159290939412.JPG

13159291101991.JPG

13159291420343.JPG

13159291714756.JPG

13159291899628.JPG

13159292450724.JPG

13159292592447.JPG

ISUK:

Must say I really like this. They have managed to incorporate styling cues from the Quattroporte on the side and done a good job of creating a silouhette that is somewhere between an X5 and X6.

I suppose it might look OK for someone who has to have a Maserati SUV. Not that many of those, judging by how many buy the other Maserati models.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I suppose it might look OK for someone who has to have a Maserati SUV. Not that many of those, judging by how many buy the other Maserati models.

That is the whole point of Maserati reginos, they are not mass produced so are more attractive to buyers from an exclusivity point of view. The build quality and reliability on the GranTurismo and Quattroporte is very good so if they can manage to emulate that then this car will be a relative success and could easily double their present total annual sales volume of around 7000 cars. As Porsche continue to grow their range with the Cajun and Pajun there will be buyers who will want to switch to something that is more bespoke.

It's like an Audi, seriously why? The rear shows nothing Maserati in it...

Apart from the fact that they are about 6 years too late, it will probably cost quite a bit too

I see no use in the world for this car..

--

Exclusivity doesn't coincide with Sport-Utility-Vehicles in my way of thinking, especially if it will have Chrysler-Jeep underpinnings.

If you start producing SUVs on a different platform you have to go for higher volume sales. Otherwise what's the point? Maserati might invest in bringing  their handsome but old-tech 4porte up to date instead. Sell more of those and still remain exclusive.

--

"Form follows function"

The SUV market is huge so there is great potential for this car. Don't forget that Bentley are also entering this market in the next two years or so. These cars sell extremely well in emerging markets like China and India etc and the Cayenne is proof positive of how having an SUV in your product range can double sales volumes. For low volume players, not being in this sector is akin to commercial suicide.

reginos,

The Kubang sits on the floorpan of the new Grand Cherokee which is actually the same floorpan as the new Merceds ML, a legacy of the Daimler Chrysler days. The new Jeep is getting decent reviews but marked down for interior materials quality and it's old tech 5 speed auto box. If Maserati add in their Ferrari sourced V8 coupled to the ZF 8 speed auto and give it a luxurious interior then the recipe for a successful car is there. This will be a niche product for sure but it's a shrewd move by Fiat Group to gain a luxury SUV out of parts sharing.

reginos:

Exclusivity doesn't coincide with Sport-Utility-Vehicles in my way of thinking, especially if it will have Chrysler-Jeep underpinnings.

If you start producing SUVs on a different platform you have to go for higher volume sales. Otherwise what's the point? Maserati might invest in bringing  their handsome but old-tech 4porte up to date instead. Sell more of those and still remain exclusive.

Reginos,

Did you really expect that you will like a Maserati SUV when you don't even like any of their cars. When someone has a problem with a certain brand, nothing they will do will be good enough. So just leave it alone and stick with the brands you like.

Looks from the side like an Infinity to me. I like the front though, very Maserati like.

--

Matt C
    2009 997 GT3 Mk2  / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

infinity

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

it is true.....the end of the world is 2012!!!!!!!!......this thing cannot be real!!!! they are only 10 years in delay!!!!! it is not time for SUV now..invent something else???? cannot compete with x5 x6 or cayenne......invest money in sportcars instead!!!

IMHO of course

--

993 c2

xander71:

it is true.....the end of the world is 2012!!!!!!!!......this thing cannot be real!!!! they are only 10 years in delay!!!!! it is not time for SUV now..invent something else???? cannot compete with x5 x6 or cayenne......invest money in sportcars instead!!!

IMHO of course

With two kids and a wife, a sports car isn't always an option I'm afraid.

Powerful SUVs like the Cayenne Turbo or X5/X6 M are fun to drive, you shouldn't have that much prejudice, especially if you are into sports cars.

--

do you really think that people would prefer a kubang to a cayenne or a x5 or x6??? no way.....My meaning was tht there is no need for a maserati SUV since there are better and nicer SUV's on the market, I think that almost everyone agree that this machine is not original or a beauty.

The 4porte is so a beauty and classy that even if it is worse than panamera technologically people would prefer it anyway.

This cannot be said for the kubang i guess, so that is why I do not see any reasons to do it since it would much probably be a flop on the market.

regarding 2 kids and wife....which is my family, nothing better than my c 63 amgs.w  in my opinion...superfast, not to big which today is a problem and you can drive it without peoples bad eyes.

--

993 c2

ISUK:
    .... The build quality and reliability on the GranTurismo and Quattroporte is very good so if they can manage to emulate that then this car will be a relative success and could easily double their present total annual sales volume of around 7000 cars. 

I'm very suspicious about this. I had driven Maserati GTS and didn't like it at all. The interiour looks luxurious with all the leather and wood BUT when you look at the details there are still cheap and ugly plastic with poor location and controls. After the test drive, I thought if I were to spent this much money which is around 270K euro in Turkey, I would either go for the Cali. (which is around 320K euro) OR go for the R8 V8 (which can be had for 220K Euro) OR just buy an 911 Turbo for 250K euro.

One of my friend bought a brand new Maserati GTS at the beginning of the year and she was undecided between Aston Martin V8 vs Maserati GTS vs CL500. She regrets a lot and complained about the car a lot when we met last weekend.

So If I were to buy an SUV for daily drive, Porsche Cayenne Diesel would be my first choice if money is no object. If I were to act smart in terms of price-wise, I would choose X5/X6 4.0d.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Really ? You would buy a Cayenne Diesel ? 245 lame horses in a super heavy Porsche ?

I'd rather buy an Audi Q5 3.0 TDi...much better performance and much cheaper.

With a couple of necessary options, a Cayenne Diesel would hit the 80000 EUR barrier. Ouch. 

I drove a Panamera 4S recently, a car equipped with PDK and Sport Chrono. Not as bad as I thought, it was pretty fast and fun to drive. Of course this one is a lot more expensive than the Cayenne Diesel but fairly used versions are available for around 100k EUR and while it is no Turbo, it is much more fun than the Cayenne Diesel.

The Maserati SUV can only win if the performance is right and of course the price tag. 

For over 100k EUR, I prefer the Cayenne.

--

I will be built in Detroit.

--

nberry:

I will be built in Detroit.

If this SUV gets a nice V8 with at least 450 horses and the price tag is under 80k EUR, I would even consider getting one.

There are so many high performance SUVs on the market right now, I really think that a true impact on the market can only be made with superb performance or a very attractive price tag. Since I don't think that this SUV will outrun the Cayenne Turbo, Maserati needs to be very careful about the pricing. If I had to choose between the Cayenne and the Maserati (comparable performance figures), I would always go for the Cayenne. Unless the Maserati is substantially cheaper.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM