Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991...

reginos:
    sterio:

Anything about improvments in noice reduction in the cockpit? The 911 has a quite high noice comming from the wheels that I do not like at all, at least at some bad roads in northern Europe.

What make of tyres do you use?

I am almost sure they have reduced tire roar. Porsche knows about this problem. The primary reason I sold my 997turbo. Could not stand that awful drone anymore.  

WAY:
    Carlos from Spain:
    WAY:
    I'm starting to think that the car doesnt look aggressive enough. Maybe it's because I'm comparing it to a gt3. What colour/wheel combination do you guys think will look most aggressive?

Sportclassic wheels are the sportiest IMO, so black/black with thjose wheels would be aggressive, or white/black with black painted wheels Smiley

Yes I think black sportclassic may be the way to go.  There is a platinum silver Cayman R with black wheels at my dealership and I keep thinking how sporty it looks despite it being in silver.  I wonder if it would be the same with the 911?  Perhaps without the side stripes it won't look so aggressive on a 911.

It may work better for the CaymanR with its smaler size and sporty elements like stripes and spyder wheels, etc but no so much for the 991 as you say. I think the most agressive combo would be ala GTS, white ext, black interior and black painted sportclassic wheels Smiley (which is BTW they combo I would choose for the 991 myself). I also wonder how much, if any, will the SportDesign Package change the looks with the new front lip, and if it does anything else visually.

--

993S:
    reginos:
    sterio:

Anything about improvments in noice reduction in the cockpit? The 911 has a quite high noice comming from the wheels that I do not like at all, at least at some bad roads in northern Europe.

I am almost sure they have reduced tire roar. Porsche knows about this problem. The primary reason I sold my 997turbo. Could not stand that awful drone anymore.  

Interesting, I never noticed that at all, or maybe my mind fliters it out as normal rolling  ambient noice and don't even hear it. I guess it al depends of the type of road surface you mostly drive in, since some surfaces do make more noice than others,  and at what  speeds you mostly drive at (ex highway vs B-roads) since at one point the aerodinamic wind noise cancels anything else coming from outside.

--

ISUK:

Making the new car look very anonymous IMHO in dark blue/grey is a huge own goal on their part. Apart from enthusiasts most people will look at that car and not realise it's a totally new model.

Spot on, how can you launch a new sportscar in such a boring hue? Smiley

--

Morgan Aero 8

I hope Porsche marketing are reading this. Please, PLEASE give us some decent colour options for once on your cars. The 991 would look stunning in a metallic white or some of the bold primary colours from the early 70's - tangerine, chartreuse, signal orange etc. The fashion world is looking back to the 60's and 70's for current trends but when Porsche do it all they came up with is metallic brown   The sport classic shows they can do a great interior with contrasting  textured finishes so why are the regular production cars offered with such dull choices? Very, very poor effort from whoever is responsible for the colour pallette IMHO

I'm seriously considering lime gold purely from the frustration at how dull the other choices are. This is a new car that deserves a much better and bolder colour range. Ordering Paint to Sample is a major PIA that takes forever and isn't even available all year round. If you want it it's a lottery when it will be available or when you will actually get a car delivered with this option. It took over 8 months to get the Boxster S my sister ordered with paint to sample and that is just ridiculous.

Here is how interesting a 991 interior could be with bicolour due to the interesting way the designers have created each piece of the interior. This gives it a sporting look that is far removed from a luxury saloon ...

Bicolor interior.JPG

And here is the best that Porsche actually come up with. Straight out of an A8 or an S class

Bicolour black platinum 2.JPG

huge difference

Carlos from Spain:
    993S:
    reginos:
    sterio:

Interesting, I never noticed that at all, or maybe my mind fliters it out as normal rolling  ambient noice and don't even hear it. I guess it al depends of the type of road surface you mostly drive in, since some surfaces do make more noice than others,  and at what  speeds you mostly drive at (ex highway vs B-roads) since at one point the aerodinamic wind noise cancels anything else coming from outside.

All Porsche 911´s have these problem with tire roar (independent of tire type) and motor way driving on bad roads is a pain for the ears. If you drive in Germany (autoban) it is not that bad but roads in other countries are not as good, specially up in scandinavia. They need to put some isolation material and protection inside the wheel arches to stop this roar.

The problem is that insulation=weight.

--

"Form follows function"

ISUK:

That car looks to be painted in Dark Blue Metallic (dunkelblaumetallic) which is code N4. I'd find it hard to think of a colour combination with less wow! factor for a launch presentation.

Certainly nobody in the gathered audience looks captivated by the car and I suspect that is down to the choice of colour rather than polite restraint.

It is just another way of saying this is a GERMAN car.Smiley

--

ISUK:

The 991 would look stunning in a metallic white...

Metallic white..?  Is there such a thing..?

--

Isn't it time you got yourself a !waytag?   www.waytag.com

ISUK:

Here is how interesting a 991 interior could be with bicolour due to the interesting way the designers have created each piece of the interior. This gives it a sporting look that is far removed from a luxury saloon ...

Bicolor interior.JPG

Brown and grey..?  You serious..? 

--

Isn't it time you got yourself a !waytag?   www.waytag.com

It's cocoa and black and was done by a poster on Team Speed. It wouldn't be my choice of colours to put together but it does illustrate the areas that look good for contrasting purposes as opposed to the very simple split Porsche have opted to do.

Yes, there is a metallic white paint that Porsche offer. The special edition Panamera for the Middle East is painted in it as per this pic of the matching key.

1314804758576Middle East edition key.JPG

Cocoa / black, here we go... Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I love the Coca/Brown split colours. Every Porsche I ever owned was black/black and very boring inside.

It was actually me who did the cocoa/black pshop and the idea was cocoa with alcantara split.

Carrara:

It was actually me who did the cocoa/black pshop and the idea was cocoa with alcantara split.

Apologies Carrara, I didn't realise it was you or I'd have given you the credit as your design of where to seperate the colours is very well thought through IMHO Smiley

That's okay, feel free to use it for whatever you'd like!

ISUK:

Bicolor interior.JPG

It might be worthwhile talking to the Exclusive department about it, if anyone is seriously interested. Smiley

It's their business to fulfill "individual" wishes, as long as that is technically and logistically feasible. 

--

fritz

easy_rider911:
    ADias:
    Rossi:
    dxpetrov:

blogs.motortrend.com/lucky-number-seven-2012-porsche-911-unveiled-in-stuttgart-17617.html

More of it in here...

I find this an excellent analysis of the new car:

"But I’m also certain everybody in that room was also thinking the same thing as we politely applauded — has Porsche stretched the visual rules that define a 911 too far this time? The car’s rear is taller than before, and defined by surprisingly beveled details that frame taillights that’ll have Aston Martin calling its patent attorneys. The car’s profile is noticeably elongated (the wheelbase is 4 inches longer, but with less rear overhang) making it seem slightly ambiguous as to which end really contains the engine. Up front, the headlight covers are bulging crystalline shells, and laterally more separated, thus nearer to the car’s flanks — the effect being very Panamera. The wheel diameters — 19s on the Carrera and 20s on the Carrera S (the fronts are carried on a widened track that loudly pronounces them) — are absolutely terrific. But maybe so terrific they compete with the bodywork instead of complement it."

Gee! I said pretty much the same (see bold above) in this forum before.

I thought your remarks in relation to the Panamera similarity were regarding the roofline rather than the width between the front headlamps.

Panamera-like: front, aspects of headlights, roofline, interior, rear creases and hatch lines.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Rossi:

Cocoa / black, here we go... Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Haha that looks familiar!  (for those who don't know, go visit the Boxster section of the forum Smiley)

Carrara:

I have a feeling you may like my Boxster Spyder then. Smiley  Great PS btw!

I'm absolutely in LOVE with your Boxster Spyder! No doubt the hottest interior on any 987.

Guys,

the 991 is on the German car configurator...

Pictures of the Sport Design Package:

11.jpg

And the webspecial is online on the german website, www.porsche.de

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Interesting a Duck-style rear spoiler. I love it on the Sport Classic. Doesn't come across well on these pictures but should look great in real life!

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso delivery Sept. 2011

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

sterio:
    Carlos from Spain:
    993S:
    reginos:
    sterio:

All Porsche 911´s have these problem with tire roar (independent of tire type) and motor way driving on bad roads is a pain for the ears. If you drive in Germany (autoban) it is not that bad but roads in other countries are not as good, specially up in scandinavia. They need to put some isolation material and protection inside the wheel arches to stop this roar.

The tire roar is quite tire dependent. PS2 is one of the noisiest tires around for 911 usage. I suspect it's due to the resonance between the wheel well and the tire noise and the proximity to the driver's ear in a 911. On stretches of un-asphalt concrete at highway speed, the noise is borderline unbearable. I had since switched to Bridgestone 050 and the noise is GONE over the same stretch of highway. There is no more tire roar anymore, no louder than any other car on any other road.

Ferdie:

Pictures of the Sport Design Package:

11.jpg

Thanks Ferdie! That is one of the packages I wanted to see as I said in a previous post, and I love it! The ducktail should look very good in a light color like white.
    --

I love ot too. Here it is in lighter colour:untitled.png

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690456 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409733 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255991 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235267 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65643 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858390 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774663 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM