Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991...

2012 Porsche 991 press briefing...

...looks good in glorious High Definition!

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Wonder what blue is that? Looks too light to be midnight blue, maybe lapis blue?

Porsche has a million different sliver, a million different grey, half a million blue..............

Boxster Coupe GTS:

2012 Porsche 991 press briefing...

I know every low coupe/sports car struggles with license plate positioning on an aero front end, but with all this design / testing / research on the 991, I would have thought the "home" Euro front license plate would have fit better... just does not line up with the other shapes on the front.  US plates will be worse.... Smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac, Agree with you on license plate. I have  purchased a bracket which screws into  tow hook slot for my 911.   Not pretty but allows me to take off for track days. Cayenne has an integrated mounitng bracket in front bumper.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

why is the rear plate still showing "911" ??  didn't they take it off?  Since this is the press briefing, so this would be the actual production?  adding that "911" just makes it too busy..... 

They should have presented a lighter colour for the press briefing, since it will show better on its outline of the car and the contrast in between the background colours....  However, this is still a very nice blue...  maybe its a aqua blue....

The "911" badging is optional. And typically press cars are fully loaded.

I'm liking the 991 more and more in these new shots!

I'm starting to think that the car doesnt look aggressive enough. Maybe it's because I'm comparing it to a gt3. What colour/wheel combination do you guys think will look most aggressive?

Carrara:

The "911" badging is optional. And typically press cars are fully loaded.

I'm liking the 991 more and more in these new shots!

well... don't think this car is fully loaded since its lacking: PSE and sunroof and Sport Chrono package ( u can tell from the centre console missing the PSE button and sunroof buttons)...  in fact this car only has the standard S wheel... it does not have the classic wheel which been shown in most of the photos.....   so, maybe this is the basic CS they offer....  since the steering wheels are basic (without shift paddle, or the muti functional buttons)... also the centre console at the rear has a bucket, where most of the published photos does not have that bucket, it was convered...  there are just a lot of options u can select I suppose as compared to this very basic factory CS. 

Find it strange why they have the press cars without any options at all??

bigantballs:

videos from the event:

Smiley SmileySmiley

dxpetrov:

blogs.motortrend.com/lucky-number-seven-2012-porsche-911-unveiled-in-stuttgart-17617.html

More of it in here...

I find this an excellent analysis of the new car:

"But I’m also certain everybody in that room was also thinking the same thing as we politely applauded — has Porsche stretched the visual rules that define a 911 too far this time? The car’s rear is taller than before, and defined by surprisingly beveled details that frame taillights that’ll have Aston Martin calling its patent attorneys. The car’s profile is noticeably elongated (the wheelbase is 4 inches longer, but with less rear overhang) making it seem slightly ambiguous as to which end really contains the engine. Up front, the headlight covers are bulging crystalline shells, and laterally more separated, thus nearer to the car’s flanks — the effect being very Panamera. The wheel diameters — 19s on the Carrera and 20s on the Carrera S (the fronts are carried on a widened track that loudly pronounces them) — are absolutely terrific. But maybe so terrific they compete with the bodywork instead of complement it."

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I can’t find anything, that don’t like in this car. Exterior wise, it’s perfect from every angle. Finally 911 has interior, which matches the rest of the car in terms of quality and visual appearance. The technology is top notch once again.

And even the comments here are 95% positive – I remember back in 2004, when 997.1 appeared… A lot of negative comments about 997 being too soft and not muscular enough. Even can remember a picture comparison with a yellow VW Beatle.

Good job, Porsche and interesting times ahead with the following derivatives – Turbo, GT3/2 etc.

Rossi:
    dxpetrov:

blogs.motortrend.com/lucky-number-seven-2012-porsche-911-unveiled-in-stuttgart-17617.html

More of it in here...

"But I’m also certain everybody in that room was also thinking the same thing as we politely applauded — has Porsche stretched the visual rules that define a 911 too far this time? The car’s rear is taller than before, and defined by surprisingly beveled details that frame taillights that’ll have Aston Martin calling its patent attorneys. The car’s profile is noticeably elongated (the wheelbase is 4 inches longer, but with less rear overhang) making it seem slightly ambiguous as to which end really contains the engine. Up front, the headlight covers are bulging crystalline shells, and laterally more separated, thus nearer to the car’s flanks — the effect being very Panamera. The wheel diameters — 19s on the Carrera and 20s on the Carrera S (the fronts are carried on a widened track that loudly pronounces them) — are absolutely terrific. But maybe so terrific they compete with the bodywork instead of complement it."

Gee! I said pretty much the same (see bold above) in this forum before.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

That car looks to be painted in Dark Blue Metallic (dunkelblaumetallic) which is code N4. I'd find it hard to think of a colour combination with less wow! factor for a launch presentation.

Certainly nobody in the gathered audience looks captivated by the car and I suspect that is down to the choice of colour rather than polite restraint.

WAY:
    I'm starting to think that the car doesnt look aggressive enough. Maybe it's because I'm comparing it to a gt3. What colour/wheel combination do you guys think will look most aggressive?

Sportclassic wheels are the sportiest IMO, so black/black with thjose wheels would be aggressive, or white/black with black painted wheels Smiley

--

ISUK:

That car looks to be painted in Dark Blue Metallic (dunkelblaumetallic) which is code N4. I'd find it hard to think of a colour combination with less wow! factor for a launch presentation.

Certainly nobody in the gathered audience looks captivated by the car and I suspect that is down to the choice of colour rather than polite restraint.

interior looks like steel gray to me. The presentation car looks almost like my own car :)

The dark blue/gray combo is even more low key in the real world.

ISUK:

Even in this "limousine type and non Porsche typical colour"  the 991 looks fantastic!

Personally, I'd stick to GT-silber with black interior.

wallpaper1_1280.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

The interior is Platinum grey which is the same colour used on the Panamera  and Cayenne. The object of a launch should be to make people go away thinking "I really want that car and I must have it in that colour combination" not "I wonder what it would look like in ....? (insert any other colour here)".

Porsche seems to be really slow in waking up to the fact that colour choice and ease of personalisation is now huge business and important to a significant portion of the new market they are trying to attract. Making the new car look very anonymous IMHO in dark blue/grey is a huge own goal on their part. Apart from enthusiasts most people will look at that car and not realise it's a totally new model.

I hope they do better at Frankfurt.

ADias:
    Rossi:
    dxpetrov:

More of it in here...

Gee! I said pretty much the same (see bold above) in this forum before.

I thought your remarks in relation to the Panamera similarity were regarding the roofline rather than the width between the front headlamps.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

it looks like Dark Blue Metallic

ISUK:

I doubt that. Smiley

--

I am betting on Porsche doing a anonymous silver with black interior, one just like 50% of the Porsche on the road, just so their current customers can see what it looks like.

When's the last time Porsche did a Guards Red, or a Riviera Blue show car?

I remember one IAA-Porsche stand back in the nineties with lots of candy-coloured Porsches. Looked great IMO. Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

I am betting on Porsche doing a anonymous silver with black interior, one just like 50% of the Porsche on the road, just so their current customers can see what it looks like.

When's the last time Porsche did a Guards Red, or a Riviera Blue show car?

Silver brings out the lines and curvature of Porsche design excellently. It might somewhat ubiquitous but people cannot have too much of a beautiful thing.

We have a silver Porsche and a dark blue one and silver makes the car much more attractive. Besides the PITA of cleaning the dark car.

--

"Form follows function"

Rossi:

I remember one IAA-Porsche stand back in the nineties with lots of candy-coloured Porsches. Looked great IMO. Smiley-

That was a IAA Showcar!!!

gt2evo_copy1.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

ISUK:

The interior is Platinum grey which is the same colour used on the Panamera  and Cayenne. The object of a launch should be to make people go away thinking "I really want that car and I must have it in that colour combination" not "I wonder what it would look like in ....? (insert any other colour here)".

+1

It's a color combo you expect on a Mercedes Diesel, not a sports car Smiley

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso delivery Sept. 2011

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

993Targa:
    ISUK:

+1

It's a color combo you expect on a Mercedes Diesel, not a sports car Smiley

That's how the Chinese market like their cars Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Anything about improvments in noice reduction in the cockpit? The 911 has a quite high noice comming from the wheels that I do not like at all, at least at some bad roads in northern Europe.

sterio:

Anything about improvments in noice reduction in the cockpit? The 911 has a quite high noice comming from the wheels that I do not like at all, at least at some bad roads in northern Europe.

What make of tyres do you use?

--

"Form follows function"

Carlos from Spain:
    WAY:

Sportclassic wheels are the sportiest IMO, so black/black with thjose wheels would be aggressive, or white/black with black painted wheels Smiley

Yes I think black sportclassic may be the way to go.  There is a platinum silver Cayman R with black wheels at my dealership and I keep thinking how sporty it looks despite it being in silver.  I wonder if it would be the same with the 911?  Perhaps without the side stripes it won't look so aggressive on a 911.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688869 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408851 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255603 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234844 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65440 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857701 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773617 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM