Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991...

a928:

Well, what the press says is one thing, but I dont buy cars on what the press says. The press will probably say the 991 is the best car and so on..and certainly in many aspects it wil be the best 911 - for example when it comes to consumption - no doubt about that...whether it offers big gains in performance...I dont see them when I read the figures in the press.

But coming back to the press, the press also said the PDK was such a great thing...when I test drove the 997 S with PDK I was disappointed..disappointed like hell I can tell you. All this media hype for this thing..its nothing compared to the 458 gearbox.

Ah something that will keep me from buying a 991S - is the engine - I drove the 385hp engine...the 991S has 400..so under normal circumstances you wont be able to feel the difference. The 9A1 engine was another disappointment ..I asked myslelf where the 385hp are...compared to my GT3 it felt I was missing 50 or more hp.  Overall the normal 997 will be the better daily car..sure...but I dont use my babys anway for daily drive..

Ah, I havent judged the electric steeringof the 991, as this you need to feel...but from BMW owners - who also own a Porsche - I know that the BMW electric steering is by far not so good as the Porsche 997, 987 etc steering..that we will have to see and feel..

Most of us here are knowledgeable enough to distinguish the media hype from media info, and take what we want from it,mainly data, not subjective impressions, thats what the test drives are for on the track and on the street. And some info about a car you cannot obtain yourself, such as the SA supertest. But then, I never said you should judge a car solely by what the press says, what I said was:

...pre-judgments and apocaliptic sentencing on chasis and engine aspects when the car hasn't even hit the automotive press for tests nor has anyone actually taken it for a test drive

So personally I won't venture a guess until I take one for a spin

--

Carlos: I look forward to your 991 testing. Do not take it in a bad way, but a first test drive is always muffled by excitement and first reaction to a difference - Catastrophe Theory. Have no doubt the car will be a performer. The question is, will it feel like a 911? Will it dance? I know, you know what that means.

With all due respect I know that a 4" WB increase is major. I have driven Panameras (long WB) and they drive fantastic; heck, they may drive better than a 997. But I still want a 997. That's what I mean.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

ADias:

Actual 991 test drive - Planet9 drives the 991.

Notice that this fellow's metric is to bring the 911 to his idea of a 'stable' car like his Cayman... Thanks, but no thanks.

Planet9 is a Cayman-centric Porsche website; hence this fellow's view point is also from a Cayman owner's angle. 

--

93' Guard Red 968 Coupe

What's going on here?  Very sloppy Mr Porsche..

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

I shall call the new 991 face " Geppetto " 

Have you notice that SILVER and RED are diferent models???

The red has 3 intercoolers or radiators in the front!!!, while the silver only have 2!!!!!!!

The red has 2 small cameras or circles in the corners of the radiators, the silver dont have any of them!!!!!

What should be the difference? Carrera S vs Carrera? Third radiator as and option??

Usually the third one is for PDK cars (extra cooling) so that one should be the S.
    --

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:

Usually the third one is for PDK cars (extra cooling) so that one should be the S.

I have a 997.2 PDK and doesn't have the third radiator.

Monster:
    ADias:

Actual 991 test drive - Planet9 drives the 991.

Notice that this fellow's metric is to bring the 911 to his idea of a 'stable' car like his Cayman... Thanks, but no thanks.

Planet9 is a Cayman-centric Porsche website; hence this fellow's view point is also from a Cayman owner's angle. 

Yes, that is the point. He thinks the 991 approaches mid-engine dynamics - which he likes and I do not.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Even if I made a mistake, the third radiator is for extra cooling. Probably the S engine needs more of it.
    --

There is no try. Just do.

Looking at the larger images, they have a tonne of Editing Paths saved within the JPGs.  Lot's of touching up it appears. 

--

- "I see dead pixels..."

^^ These are 3D renderings, so that probably explains it.

The silver one is a Carrera S (red calipers), the red one is a Carrera (black calipers), and has the radiator for PDK.

..well I'm a bit late to the party also, but:

1. Thank you Stefan for the pix, the first revealed one I ever saw about the 991

2. And wow, can't remember never ever a post that long written by you. There are maybe a lot emotions on the thing? 
    But that the point: emotions! And you nailed it close to my personal judgement. 
    The 991 has a well balanced design, very professional and therefore a little bit "cold" for the eyes of a real 911 fan. But we will see and the final judgement will happen after we have seen the 991 in its natural surroundings..

3. ...and thank you Christian for transmitting the pix to Stefan..
    .....I'm just speculating....

4. Nevertheless thank you on the whole Rennteam crew for keeping us updated that fast

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Thanks Rossi!  Looks great, love it! 

Rossi,

thanks a lot for the pictures. I guess you don´t intend to share the source with us but very happy about making it public.

Regarding the design, I guess it is worth noting that we are still talking about the 911. Surprised that some people are missing significant change, others see too many in the car. Let´s face it, Porsche cannot go wrong with this design and even the critics can only find little mistakes in this particular model. In its entire history, Porsche has always been about three dimensions, no car can be evaluated by pictures alone and certainly not a Porsche. The changes made to this car are far more relevant than many people will assume, the wheelbase and front track change the stance in a significant way. The greenhouse has different proportions just as much as the windows feature a different framing.

Every 911 so far has featured some vital design guidelines that have been carried over from generation to generation. Apart from the common references to overhangs, proportions or silhouette one has to note that the bodywork is defined by concave and convex surfaces. There is not one bulge or crease on it for decorative reasons and contrary to e.g. Mercedes´ surface treatment on the E- or S-class. Graphical elements on the other hand can be seen on the secondary items such as the head- and taillights, the air intakes or -outlets or the exhaust. That is accompanied by trademark graphical themes on the above mentioned DLOs or the fuel-filler cap. Understanding all these key values might show which constraints Porsche is exposed to apart from the mandatory legal requirements in terms of crash standards, dimensions or visibility.

Regarding the wheelbase I am very certain that the advantages outweigh the [assumed] lack of agility. Nobody has asked so far whether the short wheelbase was intended that way or a packaging-related necessity on previous models. As being said by someone above, there are more deciding factors about a car´s agility than the wheelbase alone, the wider track up front just being one of them.

I personally don´t care whether I can access the engine directly and none of the watercooled models have had an impressive enginebay yet hardly anybody has complained. If anything, they have abated and therefore I cannot understand why some people appear emotional about that subject.

Nonetheless, I am surprised about the small amount  of criticism. Let´s see how the car will fare asthetically in the long term. It is without a doubt that, under Wiedeking´s regime, Porsche has followed a more fashionable route with their design. I would love to hear some background stories from the 991´s development, especially the episodes involving Ferdinand Piech, and whether Porsche´s design strategy has been recalibrated for the future.

Is it just me but does the front resemble a Boxster/ Cayman?  I like the rear but the car needs to be seen in person to make a final judgment.

One thing we do know which has been the case with Porsche, no one will look at this car and say WOW! Rather it will EH. What more can you expect from Porsche?Smiley

--

Our beloved 911 has aged with many of us and like many of us need bifocal eyeglasses Smiley

--

93' Guard Red 968 Coupe

Quick PS before I get some sleep...

--

- "I see dead pixels..."

Perhaps as important as the leak of the 991 pictures s the fact that they -in one day -have generated seven pages of replies so far! Good to see others as excited about the new model as am I. 

--
    2008 Boxster S

The car is astonishing. Period.

artur777:
    The car is astonishing. Period.

Agreed.

--

Thanks ResB...SmileySmileySmileySmiley

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

New 991 Special Edition.  I was bored.

991 black edition smalled.jpg

I agree w/ Rossi's analysis completely, very well stated.  Look, the fact is that this car is going to be a big success and in a year it will be fully integrated into the scheme of all things Porsche.  We'll have plenty more to discuss like the GT3 and it's power plant as well as the possible role of PDK.  Also the variants and their respective features. I said on the other thread that I thought that after all the often wild speculation the actual car would result in something of an anti-climax, and to some extent that's the case.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

Thanks Rossi!

Now I'm gonna wait and buy the 991 turbo for sure.. Black on black with the deleted badge option!

--

SmileySmiley

--
    Happy Driving

Overall my perspectives on the exterior run pretty much with the crowd on the highs and lows.

Interior...I'm scratching my head on how to get the sporty look that I prefer...I'm fond of an interiour setup like RC's GTS...I'm wondering it with would work with the big console etc.

Time will tell.

Thanks Rossi - greeeeat post, you are the first! 1. Car looks great, no doubt! 2. Interior is missing the wow-effect, Is this window switch panel a VW part/new second fuse box seems to make co-pilots leg room very tight 3. The rear looks superb, cant wait to see a pi wi the upfolded wing 4. the head lights Ive seen before have been different and been purley LED (it was at a vendor) 5. I have to feel and ride the car for a judgement, the look itself doesnt give me the must have feeling yet

Thanks Rossi

I cant tell for sure but are the windshield pillars thicker in the 991 than a 997?

The front end is hard to judge because there is no visual reference next to it.

The new wheelbase has to be a plus for high speed stability, the sides and rear look ok.

Something special may have been lost in this "evolution." Cayenning its interior may not have been a good idea. Why abandon the 911 identity inside where owners spend most of their "Porsche" time?

ResB:

Quick PS before I get some sleep...

How do you do that??? I tried so long to change the color but.....got crapy quality.Yours looks fantastic

--

2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

2007 997 GT3

2006 Mercedes G500

1993 964 Turbo (Sold)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763072 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435689 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257689 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80988 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872596 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808036 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM