Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991...

RC:

I am 46 years old. I drove many different sports cars, regular cars, SUVs and even some real race cars. I love cars. On the other hand, I love Porsche. I have a family, a wife and two kids. They are part of my life and I want to be able to be with them as much as I can. On weekends, we usually love to drive to a lake, to an amusement park or just to a nice restaurant. I want to drive them in my car but Porsche almost made this impossible in the 911. If the new 991 offers more rear space and enhanced performance vs. the 997, I have nothing to complaint. I don't want a smaller car, I want a car I can feel good about it, including taking my whole family with me. I know that Porsche wants to see every 911 owner buying a Cayenne or a Panamera too but most people don't have the money or just don't want to spend that much on cars. So if the new 991 fits my family, I will probably go for it. If not, the Cayenne Turbo S could be my next car. 

I don't know the average age of the typical Porsche owner but I think it is somewhere around 38 or 40, I may be wrong though. Of course I would love to buy a 991 Carrera S Cabriolet for some open top fun, a 991 GT3 for some track fun and a 991 Turbo for Autobahn fun. Unfortunately I can't afford buying three different Porsche, so I have to choose one. I also can't afford a garage queen anymore, so buying a GT3 or GT3 RS just to keep it in the garage most of the time, isn't an option for me, as much as I would love to own one.

I think that many people around my age are in the same situation and this is why a bigger 911 with more interior room but no performance compromises is very welcomed.

Hello Rennteam moderator,
    Thanks for your honest answer..Smiley..I fully understand your situation - it seems our situations are just completely different. Like you Im a Porsche addict since I was born...when I was a kid I remember the glorious shape of the 962, the 959 etc..the 993, the 997, the carrera GT..all really nice cars. Yes, for the siatuation you  describe a 991 is better..

For me everything depends on the 991 GT3 however, if that will also be a car with e-brake, e.-steering support, no engine to see..than my love with Porsche wil be over. Luckily, and if remember correctly the first two criticims I have given on the 991 are forbidden in racing series- at least in some..so I guess I will not see that in a 991 GT3..or hope so..

I cannot imagine a Gt3 with all these buttons on the dashboard..thats why for example i dont like the 458 ..if I will leave Porsche I will go for Lamborghini..the question is how long these die hard sports cars from santa Agata will be like that in the future..with a new economic crisis coming up these die hard sports cars will the first to suffer..

If I want a luxury car for daily driver...there are plenty of other possibilties too..when I drive a Porsche I want to feel the excitement...oh yes...GT3 are more garage queens than a normal 911..fully agree..but that doensnt matter to me, as I have enough other options with 4 wheels..

I have to leave you guys now, ah, keep on posting nice pictures of engines here..Smiley

take care

WAY:
    Gnil:
    a928:

Ah something that will keep me from buying a 991S - is the engine - I drove the 385hp engine...the 991S has 400..so under normal circumstances you wont be able to feel the difference. The 9A1 engine was another disappointment ..I asked myslelf where the 385hp are...compared to my GT3 it felt I was missing 50 or more hp.  

Very strange impression you had Smiley  I regularly track my 997.2 S and I am at par with the 996 GT3 on the track. I let you imagine how these owners feel Smiley

On straight acceleration I am staying right behind the 997.1 GT3 ( and have done the test quite a few times, as my brother ownes' one ) 

Maybe you did not have a good car or just test drove it in a hurry. PDK is actually very fast and good ( with the paddles + sport chrono )

Gnil, what a928 is describing is just the sensory overload that GT3's provide. The noise, the vibration, the feel, its all part of driving a GT3. When I drove my friend's GTS PDK for the first time, I thought the car is pretty slow and has no power compared to my 997.2 GT3. But when we actually raced in a straight line, I realise that it is all just down to the fact that the GTS is much more refined. So no, nothing to do with facts, just perception. But then again that is what owning a GT3 is all about.

ok... I agree on that. Perception, not facts Smiley And of course a Carrera is no GT3 . They can not be compared, as they have very different purposes / driving dynamics 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I for one love the 991.....looks fantastic!! Cant wait for the cabriolet pics to be released....black on black with yellow calipers 

RC, I take your point on being able to see the engine, all things else equal. I am just not sure with the sloped back and the active spoiler how practically one could do that. Difficult with the rear-engine design no?

a928:
    .... what I dont like here is that some (and it seems mostly rennteam moderators?!) are trying to keep down any sort of criticism...and just promoting the idea.."oh whatever Porsche does is great ..."

a928: how can you write this today?

When I already wrote this last night:

easy_rider911:

... you are welcome to be disappointed with the new 991. Rennteam is not a forum that only welcomes positive views only. You should feel free to express whatever complaints you may have.

C'mon man, it's written in black and white Smiley

Your comment today is just plain wrong Smiley

Rennteam members and Rennteam Moderators are entitled to their own opinions - just like you are - and they are expressing them here.

They don't have to agree with you Smiley

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

a928:

Just because Im saying a 911 without being able to see the engine (is for me) not a real 911 anymore? Come on..your loosing every sense of neutrality here...if youre afraid to agree that even the 991 has some flaws..then..becomes clear by whom you are paid..

[...]

what I dont like here is that some (and it seems mostly rennteam moderators?!) are trying to keep down any sort of criticism...and just promoting the idea.."oh whatever Porsche does is great, everything new is always better, and we need now 100 switches on the dashboard..and not seing the engine anymore is great because it doesnt matter anymore"..

Buddy,

your comments are of course welcome but please consider the option that your point of view regarding interior buttons or engine access is a. only joined by a vast minority and b. not very relevant to most people interested in the 991. There are more important aspects about this particular model and the debate might either get more heated once the car is out on the street and offered for testdrives or... will finally be settled.

Accusing the moderators to be blindfolded towards that model is quite a bold statement, don´t you think? I guess you haven´t participated in the discussions when the 997 or the Panamera arrived, otherwise you would not keep this point of view. The arrival of the 991 has been assimilated better than any other model before, might it be because of the long thread with spy shots or the design execution itself.

Smiley

Exactly Ferdie  There was (and still is) plenty of criticism of the Cayman and the Panamera on these boards. Accusing Rennteam of being biased is baseless ... we're car fans pure and simple.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

ResB:

Nice work - looks great from the side IMO .. looks sleek and elongated ... I personally like it very much Smiley

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

WAY:

Here is an interesting comparison between 997 and 991.  Makes the 997 look like a beetle (taller) in comparison.  http://www.ausmotive.com/2011/08/18/porsche-911-991-compared-to-997.html

Very useful comparison WAY Smiley

IMHO there's certainly been a significant evolution from the side profile. I think the rear looks much sharper and more modern. IMvHO the least development has been on the front. I think the side indicators will be an acquired taste for some people.

Let's see ... this is just the first pebble making a splash in the water ...

--

997.1 C2S

KresoF1:

After reading some critics here(honestly-totally negative posts) about new 991 and after excellent post from rossi I decided to offer some of my views.

Critic No.1 Electrical steering wheel...

Well, I am a bit sceptical here as well. But, Porsche is not known for crucial errors, so system should work fine I pressume.

Critic No.2 Longer wheel base...

No doubt from me here-it is a good thing. Nervousness that is a signature of 997 design some drivers interpet as surgical drive dynamics. 997.2 is the best 911(996,997 and 997.2) with 2350mm wheelbase. Just, Porsche couldnt do anything more in drive dynamics department with 2350mm wheelbase. They wanted more highspeed straight line stability and better stability in wide high speed corners. I guess that excellent narrow corners agility is remained intact.

Critic No.3 Engine is not visible any more...

Hmm... What actually can you see when you open 997.2 Turbo engine bay? A beautiful piece of metal? Or maybe some piece of plastic? Want  to look at your engine in garage? Buy 458 or R8.

Critic No.4 Exterior look...

What did people expect? Totally radical new design? RC wrote excellent post about new 991 design and its relationship to current 997.2 design.

Critic No.5 Interior look...

Most critics do not like interior inspired by Pana. Personally, I like new interior. Again, what critics expected-a spartan look  a la CGT?

Porsche created some very wise design. Current 997/997.2 owners wont be in a hurry to get new 991 and this will be an excellent thing for 997 used market value stability. People who want 991 will order one since it is more advanced sportscar afer all. As RC wrote win/win scenario for both current owners of 997 models and future owners of 991 models.

Great post Smiley Agree 100% ...

Not accessing the engine bay didn't put people off the Boxster or the Cayman ... indeed, less user access is indicative of the need for less user maintenance which can only be a positive sign.

In my own ownership experience, the only times that I ever access the engine bay is to check the fluid levels and to connect/disconnect the PSE hose. If I can do that via an engine 'flap', then that's enough for my purposes Smiley

Most owners will care about how the car looks (outside and inside) and how it drives ... most will not care too much how the engine looks. They will care more about how it sounds!

IMO if people care that much about seeing the engine bay (to the extent that not seeing it would actually put them off buying this car), then maybe they should just buy an engine on its own, put it on a pedestal and look at it all day long SmileySmiley

Me? I would rather drive the car and enjoy every minute of it SmileySmiley

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

RC:

... there are two kind of 911 fans: Those who are always seem to live in the past, claiming that the older 911s have always been better, faster, sportier, more attractive and there are those, who enjoy the subtle but constantly moving on evolution of the 911.

... The 911 is a legend, no doubt about it.  ...

It really depends on what you are looking for: I am looking for the most refined and fastest 911 (at the level of each model)  and I couldn't care less about vintage or classic models. To be honest, I actually don't like them too much, they are unsafe ....  they are pretty slow compared to modern Porsches and while I like how they look, I couldn't dislike more how they drive.

Don't get me wrong but it fascinates me a lot to see how Porsche succeeds in modernizing the 911 and keeping it alive. ...

I didn't like the 996 too much and I think that the 997 is actually Porsche's 911 masterpiece but the new 991 is not much different and if it drives better, I'm satisfied.

As to the GT3 perception, yes, it is part of the GT3 experience. I don't say the GT3 is slow, no way but take the first 997 GT3 and compare it to the current Carrera GTS Coupe with sport chassis and both cars are actually the same performance-wise, which is surprising (or not).

I agree, the 385 hp Carrera S engine is a little bit lazy in the upper rev range but I think that Porsche proved very well that there can be done something about it...hence the powerkit and/or Carrera GTS engine.

+1 Smiley Very well said Smiley

--

997.1 C2S

RC:
    Guy:

That said I love that some people like older cars, love them and preserve them as I love seeing them, I just don't have a single desire to own/drive them.

Perfect description of my feelings.  Smiley

Smiley

+1 Smiley Exactly my view too Smiley

--

997.1 C2S

OMG, where have I been.

9 pages and I just realised photo's been leaked....

mmm... dont really like the interior.  too GT.... 

can't imagine them doing much to make it look more racy in the GT3.... will see.

a928:
    .....Come on..your loosing every sense of neutrality here...if youre afraid to agree that even the 991 has some flaws..then..becomes clear by whom you are paid..

RC is fully entitled to, and is expressing, his personal opinion as the owner of multiple Porsches and as a true car fan. He is certainly not paid by Porsche AG.

Rennteam is an independent and international forum for sports car fans that is privately funded. We don't owe any manufacturer any favours.

A high proportion of members are owners of sports cars which makes this forum very different from many other forums.

But your comments are really below the belt and offensive Smiley

Kindly remember the politeness and mutual respect that should form the basis of your conversations here.

--

easy_rider911:
    WAY:

Here is an interesting comparison between 997 and 991.  Makes the 997 look like a beetle (taller) in comparison.  http://www.ausmotive.com/2011/08/18/porsche-911-991-compared-to-997.html

Very useful comparison WAY Smiley

IMHO there's certainly been a significant evolution from the side profile. I think the rear looks much sharper and more modern. IMvHO the least development has been on the front. I think the side indicators will be an acquired taste for some people.

Let's see ... this is just the first pebble making a splash in the water ...

Well compare above pictures with a GTS also being a 997.2 and it looks different again.....guess only real live will tell...

derder:

The picture below is of a 2009 997 interior, in a light colour.

Why is it more "sport" or less "GT" than 991's Smiley

On a comparison, IMO the new sloping console is nicer without being too limousine-like and I like the dashboard silver strip that continues on the door skins. The 997.2 buttons are all in the small area below the PCM and thus too tiny to locate without concentrating. The new ones on the console although appearing busier will be more functional.

porsche-911-carrera-2009-interior.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Can't understand the excitement not to see the engine.

How often do we open the lid to see the engine? I opened the lid of my not-Boxster cars only one time to see the engine. Afterwards I opened the lid only to refill water or oil. I don’t remove the wheels to see the beauty of my brakes, too. And I don’t have to reach the engine because I can’t fix anything of the engine. I never understand how people spend money to optimize the look of the engine compartment with expensive carbon parts.
    991: beautiful 911. I say with intent not “beautiful car”. This is the modern interpretation of THE sports car icon. Nobody will need more than five seconds to identify this car as 911, as THE Porsche.  The silly blingbling badges on the back of the car can be removed (I hope). I only dislike that the area between the exhausts seems to be black plastic. Probably it will cost you some extra money to order this area in the color of the body. And I share the opinion that all 997 owners will be very happy with this light evolution in design.
    I was lucky to see the interior live. I like it. Modern, sporty, perfect daily driver. Which other car can be used to commute to your office and to have fun at weekends? No old-school handbrake? Can’t remember when I used the handbrake the last time.
    Well done Porsche (can’t say anything about driving the 991, hope not to change my judgment after driving the car by myself. But I always heard words like “better, improvement, you won’t be disappointed”)

easy_rider911:
    a928:
    .....Come on..your loosing every sense of neutrality here...if youre afraid to agree that even the 991 has some flaws..then..becomes clear by whom you are paid..

RC is fully entitled to, and is expressing, his personal opinion as the owner of multiple Porsches and as a true car fan. He is certainly not paid by Porsche AG.

Rennteam is an independent and international forum for sports car fans that is privately funded. We don't owe any manufacturer any favours.

A high proportion of members are owners of sports cars which makes this forum very different from many other forums.

Kindly remember the politeness and mutual respect that should form the basis of your conversations here.

I'm glad you said this. Clearly a928 has not spent enough time here. I remember the number of times RC dissed Porsche for not providing value and not listening to it's customer, like when he bought the X5M. In fact he was considering Aston and Maserati before his latest Porsche purchase. So to accuse RC and Rennteam of owing favours to Porsche is just ludicrous.

reginos:
    derder:

The picture below is of a 2009 997 interior, in a light colour.

Why is it more "sport" or less "GT" than 991's Smiley

On a comparison, IMO the new sloping console is nicer without being too limousine-like and I like the dashboard silver strip that continues on the door skins. The 997.2 buttons are all in the small area below the PCM and thus too tiny to locate without concentrating. The new ones on the console although appearing busier will be more functional.

porsche-911-carrera-2009-interior.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

Fully agree, I like the new interior style. It is the color that makes it look GT-like. Will look sportier in a darker color.  I'm surprised though that they still haven't changed to paddles. Smiley

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso delivery Sept. 2011

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

For those who miss the Mules Smiley  I think I'd take one in black. Smiley

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

Well, actually I'm not in the market for the new 991. However, I would like to add my point of view:

1- I like the rear and side profile of the new 991 the best. I very much like the LED rear lights of 997.2 and I think 991 has more futuristic rear lights and more pronounced rear bonnet. I didn't like my 997.1 rear bonnet. The design was too soft.

2- I like the front lights and front bumper design; but dislike the front LEDs because of the extended lower sides. However, all-in-all, it is a good evolution of the current car. As Christian said before: 991 will not up-set 997.2 owners and will attract new people to 911.

3- I quite like the interior since I dislike 997's center tunnel. When it is plastic, it looks cheap. Therefore I had painted center tunnel on my ex-997.1 The dash - doors - center tunnel - insturments are all look veri nice.

4- 30-35 kg lower weight is a good direction for Porsche. I read somewhere and totally agree that finally "Horse power wars ended; commence the weight wars". So soon we will have much lighter cars with mare power increase.

5- About not seeing the engine. Personally I never open my 997.1 Carrera S trunk to see the engine. There wasn't much to see anyway. Now there is nothing to see. So what? I think it is a very small detail to decide on a car. Of course I would love to have a 458 engine on my car and would love to see it everytime I look at BUT it won't be my biggest decision factor.

6- As for increased WB: Actually I have never been a Porsche guy. I never liked my 997.1 Carrera S which had -20mm sports chassie and was 6MT. My biggest issues with the car were that: a. it has too stiff chassie (S-PASM and LCD w/PASM solved that problem), b. was 6MT (I love double clutch and Semi automated gearboxes but HATE auto box. This problem is fixed w/PDK) and c. chassie dynamics of rear engine/rear drive. Now, this increased WB might solve this problem. I always like how boxster drives more than rear engine 911. So now, 991 Carrera S w/LSD + PDK w/SC meet with all of my expectations for a sports car.

Will I buy one? If I cannot afford to buy a F458 in two-three years, I might switch back to Porsche w/991.2 Carrera S/GTS. 

Why I bought a 997.1 in the first place? I had had 3 M3s before and wanted to drive something different and I was single at the age of 26 (that is 5 years ago). 

Finally, IMO, 991 is a good improvement over 997.2 in general. I would love to test drive one. Let's wait for a while for our final judgements till driving the new car.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

I'm surprised though that they still haven't changed to paddles. Smiley

--

You can choose between the paddles and the buttons.

A good friend of me just got a new 997 4S - the first time I have seen the car I asked him: why on earth didn´t you order the paddles?? Smiley He said: This is his daily driver and he prefers the buttons.

I never thought that this point of view still exists - so Porsche is right to offer both on the 991.

BlueflameSmiley

996FourEss:

RC, I take your point on being able to see the engine, all things else equal. I am just not sure with the sloped back and the active spoiler how practically one could do that. Difficult with the rear-engine design no?

I made a point on being able to see the engine ? Smiley Maybe you misunderstood me.

I actually don't care about seeing the engine, what for ? Do I see the CPU of my PC or Mac ? I couldn't care less. Not really important to me.

For me, it is important how much fun the car is and of course if it fits my needs. Nothing else.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

blueflame:

You can choose between the paddles and the buttons.

A good friend of me just got a new 997 4S - the first time I have seen the car I asked him: why on earth didn´t you order the paddles?? Smiley He said: This is his daily driver and he prefers the buttons.

I never thought that this point of view still exists - so Porsche is right to offer both on the 991.

BlueflameSmiley

Actually this is what I hate about Porsche marketing. Porsche offers some performance options at extra cost that cannot be accepted on a 400-hp sports car. I really find it stupid to pay extra for LSD - Sport chrono - paddles on a 400-hp sports car.

If I want my 911 to be the same color as my pink tie, I should be ready to pay for it.

BUT if I get a PDK, the faster shift programs and launch control MUST come with it. If I want to have a "stop watch" on the dash, I can understand the extra money charge.

I never understand how come a 385 hp rear wheel drive sports car from Porsche does not have LSD Smiley 

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

easy_rider911:
    a928:

- thats good to hear..but unfortunately he tends to act in such a was that leads to believe one...first he wrote in the 991 spy thread that the 991 will not be a drastically different car, then he writes here that it is so different and much better than the old 997Smiley

- Smiley Thats what I like about rennteam - and I hope it stays that waySmiley

- hmm...so and so...cant really agree for 100%...look at the teamspeed forum..but you have in comparison to others  - and like in the past - had the best insider info...here great thanks to the moderator...although for not all info of the 991 is positive (for me)..he has been able to get itSmiley

- simply disagree - to give you another example, I like my work, I think my employer is on average a good one - is the company and everything they do therefore perfect: in NO WAY is this so..although I am a die hard Porsche fan..this company also has made some silly things..just remember the story of the 996 headlights...or trying for many years to negate the RMS issue..which I think is totally overhyped in the media. By the way, I m getting more and more painful reports of the 9A1 engine having failures in the injectors ..that causes serios problems for the engines...hope this issue wile be solved soon ..so that we can all enjoy our beautiesSmiley

- yes..thats always good..agree

Hi easy rider,

thanks for your answer.see my points under each line above.

By the way, its good to hear that Rennteam moderator has critisiced Porsche in the past..nobody is perfect..so we all have the right to say things even if they are not always positive. There were criticsms for the cayman and the panamera here in rennteam..hmm...thats a bit strange for me ..somebody critising the cayman and the panamera ..but not the 991 for getting similar panamera intererior?

I have no criticism towards both these models:

1) Cayman: good - agile car..maybe lacks a bit hp...but overall a good value for money..probably even better value for money than with a 997..see even I can find a flaw on the 997

2) panamera: well, was never a big fan of that car..but its not a sports car..so if it has 100 buttons, looks like a sedan car..fine with me...its purpose is different than a 911-  or 991. I have been in one..would I buy one...no..sinply because I think there are better/nicer cars for that money..but its all in all a good car..I have less criticims towards it than to the 991..again - the reason being that the pana has a different purpose..

all the best with your 997 and keep in good condition:)

a928:

If you know somebody at Porsche who wants to pay me (or just provide a nice test car for my weekends Smiley), feel free to tell him to contact me, I gladly accept any interesting offer.  Smiley

To be serious: Rennteam is a forum like no other on the internet. Do you know why ? Because all of us, the Admins and the Moderators, have real life jobs and none of these jobs is connected to the car industry or to Porsche. Yes, we even pay our bills ourselves, the crappy Google Ads advertisement barely covers the server cost and we already had to switch servers twice because of the huge traffic and usage load. None of us gets paid by anybody, we put our private money and time (which for most of us equals a lot of money considering our high profile jobs) into it and sometimes we even get slapped into the face but new users for our commitment to the community, which is a shame.

Even the forum software is unique, the programmer programmed it for us as a pro bono work and we really appreciate it because it gets better and better every day.

The best part however are our users: Many of our users are unique because they are not some Playstation kids arguing about some cars they never drove but real owners who usually not only own a Porsche but two or three or even other sports cars. Many of the users here are serious people with serious jobs and this is why I think this place is unique. Even follow the non-car related discussions and you can actually learn how people who actually have different political or even cultural views, can find a common ground and discuss even the most passionate topics in a very civilized way. This is why I love this forum.

Yes, I felt a little bit offended by your comment but I give you the benefit of doubt because you are new here. 

To make it short: I am 46 years old, I'm a professional in the medical/pharmaceutical field, I'm married and I have two kids. Money is tight (for somebody who loves high performance sports cars not really a good thing) but I still enjoy driving a Porsche and of course this forum. I am not paid by anybody, unless you want to volunteer. Smiley

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Can anyone elaborate on why they opted for an electrical power steering assistance rather than the hydraulic system they had in the 997? It was one of the driving traits 997's were praised for, what clear advantage has an electrical power steering as to make it worthwhile risking putting that praised characteristic on the line?

Weight? Fuel consumption? Cost?

Porker:

Can anyone elaborate on why they opted for an electrical power assistance rather than the hydraulic system they had in the 997? It was one of the driving traits 997's were praised for, what clear advantage has an electrical power steering as to make it worthwhile risking putting that praised characteristic on the line?

Let me guess: Better adaptation to certain driving situations like pavement, driving dynamics, lateral acceleration, speed, etc ? Emissions and fuel consumption ?

Is that so bad if it actually feels the same ?Smiley

--

@a928

I forgot to ask you: Why is your user name a928Smiley

I'm also curious about what car(s) you are currently driving because I'm not sure I understood that very clearly from your posts. Thank you.

--

RC:
    Porker:

Can anyone elaborate on why they opted for an electrical power assistance rather than the hydraulic system they had in the 997? It was one of the driving traits 997's were praised for, what clear advantage has an electrical power steering as to make it worthwhile risking putting that praised characteristic on the line?

Let me guess: Better adaptation to certain driving situations like pavement, driving dynamics, lateral acceleration, speed, etc ? Emissions and fuel consumption ?

Is that so bad if it actually feels the same ?Smiley

Of course not, but it remains a gamble. Why change if it's not broken, or even better why change what's being praised...

But, if the upsides outweigh the downsides, I'm all for!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763775 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436132 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260877 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257836 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82575 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876459 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808495 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM