Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991...

roadtrip:

kudos to the entire vw design and marketing team.

I guess that was meant to be humourous, maybe even sarcastic, but we maybe should award an earnest kudos to the VW concern's management for letting the Porsche engineers "do their own thing".

--

fritz

There is a new 991 test drive story here:

http://www.planet-9.com/news-items/60612-driving-new-911-991-a.html

Enjoy!

And though I am willing to admit that my photoshop skills are sub-par, I present to you: the facelifted 991!

Let's hope the facelift will come early on this one...
    Oh, and Dr. Ing. Porsche A.G.: I am available as a parttime designer, and my fees are pretty reasonable.

991_facelift.jpg

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

I was a bit nervous about the design in general... But my God this thing looks astonishing! I'm in love! I didn't think it was possible, but the 997 is starting to look a little old... I love every design aspect, and personally, I think the drooping directional lights actually look good! It looks weird without them drooping over. The only thing I don't like about the 991 is all the badging in the rear, I wish it would just say "Carrera S", but that isn't very much of a problem at all as you could just order the delete.

where is the handbrake....?

--
    997S black/black,PSE,Aerokit, GT3 wheels

zoltan:

where is the handbrake....?

Electronic hand brake like on many new cars now. 

I hate electronic hand brake. Drifts Kings too...

--
    997S black/black,PSE,Aerokit, GT3 wheels

I think there are some common design elements on the front of the bumper with italian exotica...

Ferrari-F430-red-concept.jpg

image.png.jpg

--

911% obsessed

Thanks so much Rossi

I think this car is just gorgeous

It looks very sleek from the side ... very low and elegant.

I love the rear ... except for the lettering ... there's too much lettering for my taste ... so the delete option may be the way to go ...

The front really appeals to me ... the indicators are different but look like I will get used to them in time ...

The only thing I really dislike are the wing mirrors but these have been 'Shrek ear'-like for some time ...

It seems the sunroof is indeed made of metal rather than glass ... it also looks very large so the sunroof may not be a popular choice since it will look a little strange when it is in its lifted position ...

The interior does look like a comfortable GT-like place to be ... the beige colour doesn't help ... but this can be put right with some sporty colours and Porsche Exclusive options I'm sure ...

Of course, like others have said, I will reserve my final opinion once I see it in the flesh ... it will be great to test drive it too  Can't wait for that

Overall, it looks really modern, fresh and sharp to me ... a very nice evolution on the 997.2  It will gradually make the 997.1 and 997.2 look more and more dated as we become more and more used to how the 991 looks ...

All I can say is well done Porsche ... now bring on the GT3 version

PS: Rennteam is smokin' hot right now ...  Over 5000 views in a matter of hours ...

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

zoltan:

I think there are some common design elements on the front of the bumper with italian exotica...

Ferrari-F430-red-concept.jpg

image.png.jpg

The 911 has been around for nearly 50 years, the F430 about 7... But personally I don't see any resemblance.

Rossi:

May I present... Smiley

9911.jpg

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Stefan,

Nice pics!SmileySmileySmiley

BTW, what is your opinion about 991 looks? Personally, I love it since I some same pics that you posted few weeks ago.

Regarding PDK paddles steering wheel-it is an option(and it looks the same as paddles steering wheel on 997.2 models).

For me looks to much on a R8

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

Great photos Rossi!  Thanks!

I'm a fan   Not sure that I ever grew to like the 997.2's "evolution" but I think there is a lot to like about the 991.  I didn't think I was going to like the front LEDs/turn indicators from the spy shots but seeing these photos I don't think I mind em one bit...almost kinda like em.   The car definitely looks a sleeker and meaner and the interior overhaul was long overdue IMHO...

The one thing I think would make it look AWESOME would be to see it parked in my garage next to my 997.1...  Then I could simply choose my flavor for the day...

Anyone notice the new fuse box on the passenger side floor?  Almost looks like you lost a little legroom down there?  What's with that?

Thanks Rossi I like it,is the right evolution of the 911 Can't wait to see the GT/Turbo versions Ciaoo
    --

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

I still don't like the front turn indicators, but it looks ok on the silver 991. I hope the facelift looks like the one posted by davew.

All the lettering on the back looks horrible . Reminds me of people who have a Cayenne with the Cayenne lettering on the back, and then get a license plate that says Cayenne....uh, no SH*T!, we know it's a Cayenne.

Like others have said, I need to see it in person to really judge it...

Looking forward to the Turbo and GT versions though Smiley

My heart sunk when i saw these pics.

Everytime i would look at the pics as the design became evident i would hope that in the intervening time i would somehow love the car when i saw it. 

and yes -- i see why you went for the GTS RC!

i thought either the Auto Bild illustrations or Larson's in Autocar were great!

Of course, i need to see it in person, i genuinely the car will be a leap forward in performance but i'm with Joost, i really hope they do a facelift soon, IMvHO.  

I just really want to fall in love with this car but the design in the front (as other Rennteamers seems to feel simlilary) doesn't cohere for me.    Please forgive my honesty in my reaction to these pics.

i just noticed another design detail...

the squiggly line

running from the front fender flare over the turn signal/light to the bottom third of the head light that makes a jag to the hood lid.

right now everybody is saying is not that good...

did you guys compared both cars  side by side ??

the 997 looks like a beatle now..

this car in live will KILL the 997!!!

im talking not about head or tail lights... im talking like look both from sides , sorry bad english cant explain lol

I hope there's a new extra called NOLED that simply removes the ugly LEDs. It would turn this into a really nice car.

I like it.....particularly the side view/profile....so much sleeker!

a928:
    Pentium:

Thank you Rossi for the pictures! Smiley

On the other hand, I hate it. What is with the front blinkers? Looks like a chinese moustache!

Also the detail inside the headlight is curved down...

The whole front because of those two details looks sad!

And the rear is a bulk of metal!!!

Gone is the subtle part. 997 was looking nimble!

Looks like an old man's car. Born old.

cant agree more pentium..Smiley

(sadly on this one)

I agree more with both of you too!  (and the others)

I hear the 991's electric steering is a bit numb at low speeds, but at higher speeds and with a more sporty driving style, the steering is very direct and responsive. It feels different than the 997's hydraulic system, but it doesn't feel bad at all. Just different... 

Rossi:

9915.jpg

The ovalized headlights are a bit strange, especially protruding in side views (Hyundai anyone?)

Compare it to the 997 side-view:

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

I quite like it actually, and please don't compare a Porsche to a Hyundai! IMHO Hyundai is making some of the ugliest cars in history as of now.

Great looking car in & out, it's a nice evolution and I'm sure on real lfe, this car will have a wonderful stance. J.Seven

964C2:

I like it.....particularly the side view/profile....so much sleeker!

So is the Jag XK... all to fit into EPA's larger footprint rules...

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Carrara:

I quite like it actually, and please don't compare a Porsche to a Hyundai! IMHO Hyundai is making some of the ugliest cars in history as of now.

I am a 911 fan... but just look at it from the side. Doesn't the protruding headlight lens look like Hyundai's? Facts are stubborn things. I was shocked myself.

Same for the horribly Chinese inspired front - blinkers, grills - and the overly complex rear with a crease and a line-breaking rear hatch. 

People may like this, as people's tastes are affected by their surroundings - many cars follow those trends these days. But... it is a very big departure from the 911 line purity.

And of course... the nail in the coffin is the larger wheelbase, driven by silly large footprint regs by regulatory agencies.

I repeat what I said before: the 991 may be a fantastic car, far better than a 997, but it is less and less a 911, it just reminds of one.

--

ADias--

your comparison reveals just how clunky and asymetrical the 991 is in photos... 

the 997 looks so cohesive and purposeful and the protruding, bulbous headlights of the 991 look really awkward (as do the proportions of the rear lights relative to the mass of the back 1/3 of the car).

and personally, i think the side view is the best view of the 991 since the direct shots from the front and rear  leave so much to be desired IMvHO...

And how i wanted to love this car so much!

(now looking back at some of the camoed spyshots and the fantastic video Porsche produced in South Africa I was so excited to see this car --

it looked so elegant yet resolute and

didn't appear to to be frilly and fussy and cluttered and have so many extraneous details!

-- again just expressing my opinions of a sport's car i love and want to love!

ADias:
    Carrara:

I am a 911 fan... but just look at it from the side. Doesn't the protruding headlight lens look like Hyundai's? Facts are stubborn things. I was shocked myself.

Same for the horribly Chinese inspired front - blinkers, grills - and the overly complex rear with a crease and a line-breaking rear hatch. 

People may like this, as people's tastes are affected by their surroundings - many cars follow those trends these days. But... it is a very big departure from the 911 line purity.

And of course... the nail in the coffin is the larger wheelbase, driven by silly large footprint regs by regulatory agencies.

I repeat what I said before: the 991 may be a fantastic car, far better than a 997, but it is less and less a 911, it just reminds of one.

--

They aren't bulging though, the are just wrapping around.

And the rear is inspired by the 918 Spyder and Carrera GT, not the latest trend. No Porsches are trendy cars...

And also I notice the red car has a center radiator, but the silver one does not. They are both Carrera S models. I wonder why this is? 

991-bulbousheadlight.jpg

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759411 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433643 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259708 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256836 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80560 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870609 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805585 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM