Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991...

Thanks Stefan for the pics.

For the first couple of pages I was thinking the front fogs/on the bumper had to be PS. Then saw the high res pictures. (Thanks Cararra) Terrible looking imo from the pics anyway. Looks like an after-thought, 4th graders bad interpretation.. Ugly.

The 997 Coupe's roof is a little too round for me. The sleeker, longer proportions of the 991 will probably be one of the nicer visual changes of the 991 in person..The new, lower slung canopy looks very cool, along with the stretched dimensions will probably give the car a more exotic, special look in person that isn't captured fully in pics .

From the pics - The change to the rear of the 991 is probably the best part, love how they did the lights & rear:  AM'ish.. Can't wait to see what the Turbo's rear will look like.

--

08 PORSCHE Turbo Cabriolet - 06 Ferrari F430 - 04 Durango HEMI - 04 Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle - 93 Harley Davidson Nostalgia

Futch:
    palenimbus:

Sunroof is optional?

Yes.

The one I saw was a Carrera S with Sunroof. Not the cleanest design when the sunroof is opened but you get that same feeling as the current Targa with sunroof closed, very airy.

The new 911 appears to have what in the sunroof industry is known as a " spoiler sunroof"

from wikipedia :

Spoiler sunroofs (tilt-&-slides) combine the features of a pop-up with those of a sliding roof system. They tilt to vent and slide open above the roof, requiring little headroom or roof length. ..... Spoiler sunroofs  are ideal for short-roof vehicles .... Familiar examples include Honda CRX, Saturn SC and Mazda RX-8/ Mazda RX-7

Now the 991 joins this exalted Hall Of Fame /Shame  !

Smiley

Yeh I'll be definately ordering it sans sunroof. 

Here is a good photo of the sunroof.

Sunroof.JPG

It won't affect the European market will it.  I mean it's definitely something I would not specify so not a problem to me, however, will this be standard for US spec. cars?  If it is I'd never open it.

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

Amazing how small and almost "delicate" the 997 looks side-by-side with the more "pumped-up", stretched-out look of the 991 in the Auto Motor und Sport picture. The rounder roofline of the 997 is partcularly obvious from this pic, at least relative to the flatter, sleeker roofline of the 991. I'm loving the 991 more the more I see of it - but I'll have it without that sunroof, thanks. If the Carrera looks like this, I can only imagine how good the GT3 is going to look - definitely worth waiting for!

That sunroof may be wonderful for its airiness and ventilation but boy does it make the roofline look hideous when it's open...
    --

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:
    That sunroof may be wonderful for its airiness and ventilation but boy does it make the roofline look hideous when it's open...

I think the same, it looks reaaly wrong when opened.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    easy_rider911:

I think the same, it looks reaaly wrong when opened.

Agree with Easy and Carlos on this one.SmileySmiley Hopefully there will be a glass panel roof available as an option.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

I am sure the glass panel roof will be an option as it has been for the 997 and 997.2.    Regardless of the look of the roofline when its open, its always nice to have an option when u wanted a bit more air comming in....  I personally don't mind the side profile of open roofline, its not perfect, but it does not bother me that much....  Can't wait to see the real car as I had already put an order down...   Don't know if its worthwhile to wait for the 4S

Wow - did I miss a few pages of 991 news in 10 days...   My excuse is good though, we were spending time driving our 997 through some of the best sports car roads in Canada in southern British Columbia, maybe in the world for all I know - amazing set of constantly turning and rising/falling roads with no police (too remote) and virtually no traffic, and I'll post something on a "tours" thread for anyone  interested in these fantastic roads.

But on the 991 - hard to say still until people actually drive it, own it, and even break it (if possible).  But this is a difficult time contemplating replacing our Porsche - our 997 has been so amazing over the last week of concentrated driving that it is very difficult to imagine, right now, wanting a better 911  - exactly how would it be better in ways we would be aware of every day?  And would it have produced any more enjoyment on these classic sports car roads? 

The 991 styling is fine IMO, and I can see that it will have a bit more of that R8 / Aston V8  "sleekness" and pizzazz.   Unlike RC, I am absolutely uninterested in rear seat room - my kids are grown, and for us this is essentially a roomy sports car for 2, and I am disappointed to have size creep even if Porsche have done well in holding weight more or less equal. 

In any event, I will be in Frankfurt in 3 weeks, so I will at least be able to see it for myself, but I would say nothing here stimulates me to plan to trade up.  At least for now.... 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Official press release for German market:

http://www.porsche.com/germany/aboutporsche/pressreleases/?pool=germany&id=2011-08-23

...and the same press release in English (from Porsche.com).  Doesn't seem to be much here we didn't know (or see) already.

The new Porsche 911 Carrera: Tradition meets modernityWorld premiere at the 2011 IAA Frankfurt Motor Show

Stuttgart. At 48, the Porsche 911 Carrera is younger than ever: The completely redesigned generation of the sports car icon is stepping into the limelight with its flat, stretched silhouette, exciting contours and precisely designed details, yet from the very first glance it remains unmistakably a 911. True to the 911 tradition, the distinctive Porsche design language with its tendons and muscles exudes power and elegance.

[+]
    [+]

The 100 millimetre (~ 3.9 inches) longer wheelbase and reduced height combined with the up to 20-inch wheels underpin the athletic appearance.At the same time, the typical sports car compact exterior dimensions were retained. Seen from the front, the eye is drawn to the 911’s trademark wide-arched wings. They emphasise the wider front track, so that the new 911 Carrera models sit even more solidly on the road. The remodelled exterior mirrors are accommodated on the upper edge of the door and not as before on the mirror triangle. Not only is this aerodynamically advantageous, it also emphasises the new design line and visual impression of width.

[+]
    [+]

The all-new, lightweight body is an intelligent aluminium-steel construction. It is responsible for a significant proportion of the weight reduction of up to 45 kilograms. Combined with significantly greater rigidity. Aerodynamic optimisation – including a wider, variably extending rear spoiler – enabled the new 911 Carrera’s lift to be reduced yet further while retaining a very good Cd value.

[+]
    [+]

To complement the modern exterior design, the Porsche designers created an interior, the architecture of which takes its cue from the Porsche Carrera GT. The driver is now even more closely integrated with the cockpit thanks to the centre console rising up to the front with the high-mounted shift lever or gear selector located especially close to the steering wheel in typical motorsport fashion. Classic Porsche elements are also to be found inside, as they are on the outside: the instrument cluster with five round instruments – one of them a high resolution multi-function screen, the central rev counter and the ignition lock to the left of the steering wheel.

Setting the standard in its class, as it has for generations, the new 911 Carrera and Carrera S raise the performance and efficiency bar yet another notch. All versions get by with significantly less than ten litres of fuel per 100 kilometres (28 mpg imp.). Fuel consumption and emissions are up to 16 per cent lower compared with its predecessor. Among other things, this is achieved by systems and functions such as auto start/stop, thermal management, electrical system recuperation, the world’s first seven-speed manual transmission and – in conjunction with the Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) – sailing as it is called. The new electro-mechanical power steering offers not only Porsche’s typical precision and feedback but also helps to increase efficiency and reduce fuel-consumption.

[+]
    [+]

For example, the 911 Carrera with the new 350 hp (~ 257 kW) 3.4-litre boxer engine and optional PDK consumes a mere 8.2 litres per 100 kilometres (~ 34 mpg imp.) based on the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) – 1.6 l/100 km (~ 6 mpg imp.) less than its predecessor. Also, at 194 g/km CO2, it is the first Porsche sports car to make it below the 200 g/km mark. With the 911 Carrera S as well, with its 3.8-litre boxer engine and what is now 400 hp (~ 294 kW), fuel consumption when paired with the optional PDK is reduced by 14 per cent or 1.5 l/100 km (~ 5 mpg imp.) to 8.7 l/100 km (~ 32 mpg imp.) despite 15 hp (~ 11 kW) more power. That equates to CO2 emissions of 205 g/km.

At the same time there are performance improvements in both models. The 911 Carrera S with PDK manages to accelerate from nought to 100 km/h (~ 62 mph) in 4.3 seconds. Pressing the Sport Plus button on the optional Sport Chrono package cuts that to 4.1 seconds. The 911 Carrera with PDK needs only 4.6 seconds (Sport Plus 4.4 seconds) to sprint from a standing start to 100 km/h (~ 62 mph).

[+]
    [+]

The new 911 doesn’t just offer better longitudinal dynamics, however, but top performance at an unprecedented level in terms of transverse dynamics as well. In addition to the longer wheelbase, the greater agility, precision and driving stability are based, among other things, on the wider front track, the new rear axle and new electro-mechanical power steering. Depending on the model, there are other standard or optional active control systems available as well that further enhance the driving dynamics. That is especially true for the Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) active roll stabilisation system, available for the first time on the 911 Carrera S. For example, the system reduces lateral inclination when cornering, the tyres always being in the optimal position relative to the road surface and able to transmit higher lateral forces. Maximum cornering speeds are increased; even faster lap times on racing circuits are possible.

It has therefore been possible in the new model to extend yet further the span of apparently contradictory attributes such as performance and efficiency, sportiness and everyday practicality that has always typified the Porsche 911. That makes the 911 Carrera more of a 911 than ever. The new Porsche 911 Carrera celebrates its world premiere at the 2011 IAA Frankfurt Motor Show. The launch of the new 911 models gets under way on 3 December 2011. Prices in Germany are 88,038 euro for the 911 Carrera and 102,436 euro for the 911 Carrera S, including 19 per cent VAT and market-specific equipment.

[+]
    [+]

GO

LOL... Nice comparison... I'm with everyone in saying that the sunroof looks weird when up but with its closed it would give the car an amazing feel of space and light (my bro has a targa 4S and for me its the best alternative to a convertible, the glass roof is just great)... For me just give me the standard metal sunroof with suede lining... I'm just curios why the glass sunroof pops up and back on the 991 but on the Targa 997 it tucks into the inside of the car, with the 991 the glass sunroof option is the same thing as the 997 Targa... Plus wouldn't the glass sunroof if open fly off the car when going 200+ km/h? Her Roof.jpg 

MKW:

This will look like the vent on top of caravans!

--

Isn't it time you got yourself a !waytag?   www.waytag.com

Has anyone noticed that now the DRLs are now also oval rings that follow the shape of the headlights?!

Is it possible?!! Imagine that thing at night....

Budster:
    MKW:

This will look like the vent on top of caravans!

No, I'm wrong...  This isn't a sunroof at all - it's a pane of glass.  This is the "special edition" made for the British Police's riot squad to replace shop windows. 

--

Isn't it time you got yourself a !waytag?   www.waytag.com

From the official release information, PDCC on the Carrera S is the new thing as regards dynamics.

Lots of consumption&emission measures.

--

"Form follows function"

The price tag of the Carrera S has been raised by 4000 EUR, this is practically a 4% price increase, very brave decision from Porsche.

I'm really glad I went for the Carrera GTS instead. Yesterday, my dealer told me that almost all Porsche models, especially the Cayenne, sell like "warm bread" right now and there are barely financial offers or rebates and especially on the 991 there won't be anything special at the beginning, maybe the usual 3-6%, depending on model and customer.

I got 14% on my Carrera GTS and that special lease offer...so you get my point.

Maybe we should pray for another recession... Smiley (just kidding of course).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

the sunroof looks really odd. and the wind-protection does not make it better either. like some kind of suctio cup...

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Nothing to pray for, the recession is looking like a very high possiblity. Maybe porsche is too optimistic on sales.

I'm not a fan of sunroofs, but the traditional 911 sunroof was useless anyway. Perhaps it had some use in the 60-70s before a/c when it was used for ventilation. At least the new one is bigger and most probably more effective in its objective to let light in, for those who like this sort of thing, always.

--

"Form follows function"

Not every country is in recession though.  Here for example, the economy is pretty good (touch wood) so I see no reason for Porsche to reduce the prices here eventhough the exchange rate is some 30% stronger than it was when the 997 was released. 

Anyway back onto the car itself.  I wonder why they have developed PDCC for the Carrera S?  I mean, PDCC is fantastic on SUVs (like on our X5M) and big heavy sedans where roll is part of the game, but on a relatively light weight sports car?  Is it necessary?  I don't ever recall any of my past and current Porsches suffering from massive roll issue!  I guess it is ok if it doens't add weight to the car, but I am guessing it would add quite a bit?

Is there any explanation how the 7-speed manual is going to be controlled?

Where is the info on the rear seat room?  Looks like nothing has changed, otherwise wouldn't Porsche be crowing about how the rear is now more practical as it is bigger?  That would be a real shame, because one of our key requirement is that my 3.5 year old son can also sit in this car comfortably and his mum can use this car.  In fact, I might even sell her second car and get her to use this instead. 

All the major markets sans china are at stagnent growth. Australia would be a minor market especially with their high taxes on import cars.

USA was one of the top markets for Porsche, but the list price there is one of the lowest if not the lowest, Porsche makes less per sale in the US, plus the US market is being over supplied with cars, lots of dealers has a lot of unsold cars.

I don't mind Porsche cutting allocation to the US and give the rest of the world more cars, even the price increase is not even a factor, the emerging markets like China and Russia can absorb the additional cars with absolutely no problem at all at whatever price point. Heck even Canada can use more allocation.

UK Prices

911 Carrera    £71,449.00 (inc. VAT at 20%)   (was 67,270)
    911 Carrera S    £81,242.00 (inc. VAT at 20%) (was 76,172)

brave indeed, wonder how the base specifications have changed...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688317 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408614 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255490 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234726 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65354 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857498 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773231 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM