Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991...

dr.j:

I'm really starting to like the rear view, but keep hearing Clarkson say ...in the front  the crack design team put  Boxster intakes on it and then misaligned the foglights. Smiley

1313724738039991.jpg987S.jpg

1313732527854rotfl4.gif Yes! I I can just hear him say that. Unfortunately what he wont say is just how superb this car looks!

DavidSF:
    RC:

Now you may know why I went for the 997 Carrera GTS but don't get me wrong, I love the new 991, it is a very nice evolution of the 911.

Why didn't Porsche go for a sportier and flatter design ? You will get the answer over the next 2-3 years...I guess. 

RC, I applaud you for saying you love the 991 even though you have a 997 Carrera GTS. It takes a strong secure man owning a 997 to say that. Most people who own a 997 will say they hate the 991 or find fault with it.

I love the 991 already, and my 997 GTS is only arriving in November!  It's because I love them both (and everything that went before).  Nothing wrong with that.

Also, surprised no-one has pointed out the "issue" of camera lens perspective (although it's the same point perhaps of wanting to see it in the flesh that many have said).  Long and wide angle lenses can make a huge difference. 

For example, the following shots of the 997 GTS and the new 991 bring both cars closer together again, looks-wise, with the angles and  perspective similar (sorry they're different sizes...)

As I said, I love 'em both....Smiley

GTS.jpg

Porsche-911-991--fotoshowImage-a29203c9-524979.jpg

--

Isn't it time you got yourself a !waytag?   www.waytag.com

Carrara:

With every new picture the 991 looks better and better! Check these out! What a properly sexy car!

Guys, you all like this pictures because of the close-to-the-ground camera position! This is not the same viewing angle with the one of a person standing next to the car. This is why I wait to see it in person at Frankfurt before making any decision. Shouldn't we all be better if we focus on less subjective discussion like the car's interior and exterior design and more on the technical novelties like weight reduction, the new steering, the longer wheelbase, etc? Just saying...
    --

There is no try. Just do.

For instance I am very curios on how the front visibility was affected by the more inclined windshield. Or the trunk size possible increase (front track increase). Rear seat space is also important for many of us too. We all love the 911 because of the whole excellent "daily" package...
    --

Being a short -a$$, I am quite close to the ground.1313734234935duck.gif

WAY:

Here is an interesting comparison between 997 and 991.  Makes the 997 look like a beetle (taller) in comparison.  http://www.ausmotive.com/2011/08/18/porsche-911-991-compared-to-997.html

You say: 

Makes the 997 look like a beetle (taller) in comparison. 

Meaning... the 997 is closer to the 901 and the 991 is not. Agreed and not in a good way. :)

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

looooooollllllllllllllll
    --

To RC's comments: I do not live in the past. I love the new Cayenne and love the Panamera. The Panamera may be safer and more stable than a 997.2.

But I love the dynamics of a 911 up to and including the 997.2. For me, high speed stability is of no import. I care about canyon driving, curvy mountain road dynamics and the classic to 997.2 911 is fabulous for that. When the 911 loses that, there's nothing there for me. I could as well drive a Panamera.

I look forward to Carlos opinion on the 991. He and I drive the same kinds of roads.

P.S. - if the 991 becomes more neutral, more stable, more refined... oh well... there's always the Cayman R. I would not consider a mid-engine car until now, but that may change. :)

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

[Post edited by Rennteam Moderator]

Please see 991 Turbo spyshots on the 991 spyshots thread - thanks Smiley

@ Moderator :  Maybe we should start a new thread for the spy pics 991 Turbo   ( which seems to look VERY nice )

The 991 is stunning and I am getting used to the small design imperfections.

@ the photo shoper : Could someone  please p-shop  with color the plastic parts on the red car ? ( the part between the exhaust + the part on the side mirrors )

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

i am glad that porsche resiswted slapping on fins at the rear valance like most italians do.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I like the 991 very much. A great 911 design. There are some styling elements that I would call peculiar and idiosyncratic but definitely not ugly, that give the car some individuality vis a vis the 997.1 and 997.2.

However, I was looking at my car and I thought how perfect and well proportioned it is! Very minimalist design, very flowing and  not even one superfluous, unnecessary detail in order to create impressions. I love the profile of my 997.2. I think it will be a classic 911.

1313741601423KVE 003.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

This new shape is growing on me all the time and the fact it's now a desktop pic on my PC means it's only going to get worse!  God I hope this car drives like we all hope, then I know what my next car would be. (Save of course me starting to like the interior!)

Desktop Pic.

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

DavidSF:

RC, I applaud you for saying you love the 991 even though you have a 997 Carrera GTS. It takes a strong secure man owning a 997 to say that. Most people who own a 997 will say they hate the 991 or find fault with it.

Thank you but I actually cheated a little bit. Smiley I already knew the precise technical specs many months ago, this is also the main reason I liked the GTS a lot.

Yes, I like the 991 a lot but when I ordered the GTS, I took in consideration the following points:

1. A Cab (my wife wanted one) would be available earliest next summer (2012).

2. The GTS special lease offer I got from Porsche Financial (18 months only, switching to any other Porsche model afterwards possible without any problems), would very likely not be available for the 991.

3. It would be very unlikely to get the generous rebate I got on the GTS for the 991.

4. Performance-wise (engine, straight line), the GTS and Carrera S are practically the same.

5. New model, new quirks (not that this would really have kept me from getting the 991).

6. The 991 (Coupe) is available starting December 3rd in Germany...in the middle of the winter (I live in Bavaria, winters are usually snowy and unpleasant).

I could continue this list but the truth is, I took in consideration each and every point and made my decision based on logic, money and of course my family situation.

Those who actually bought the Carrera GTS, should be happy...I guess. I don't think that the value of the GTS, especially since it has more power than the brand-new 991 Carrera S and of course the wider rear, will drop as much as on other 997 models. I even think that demand for the GTS will be pretty high on the used car market, which reminds me a little bit of the situation of the 996 Carrera 4S back in the days. Compared to other 996 models, the C4S dropped in value only after some considerable time after 997 introduction.

What will I choose after my 18 months lease period runs out ? To be honest, I don't have a clue. The 991 GT3 or 991 Turbo would probably be my favorites but since my family comes first, I could also go for the Cayenne Turbo S (should be available by then) or even a Panamera Turbo S (more unlikely since this car has only four seats and costs substantially more than the Cayenne). Money is tight, like I said before, so it may not be a 911 anymore, which would be very very sad.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Spyderidol:
    dr.j:

I'm really starting to like the rear view, but keep hearing Clarkson say ...in the front  the crack design team put  Boxster intakes on it and then misaligned the foglights. Smiley

1313724738039991.jpg987S.jpg

1313732527854rotfl4.gif Yes! I I can just hear him say that. Unfortunately what he wont say is just how superb this car looks!

Oh..for me the boxster looks so much better..would really like to have the boxster spyder..ok the roof is maybe not so practical..but I like the idea of the car..Smiley

The Boxster is a superb car. It is considered as a poor relative and snubbed at. Very wrongly IMO. I enjoy the 987 as much as the 997 for a fraction of the cost.

The Spyder is only good for sunny climates of around 25 C max. 30 C. Where is such a place? Maybe Los Angeles and around. 

--

"Form follows function"

Ron (Houston):

Now that I had some time to relax and look at the pictures, I would like to share my humble personal opinion.  In 2004/2005 when the 997.1 was introduced, I wasn’t impressed with the photos and when it came to the showrooms I went to check it out in person to do a touch and feel.  No offense to the 997.1 owners (strictly my personal impression) it didn’t capture me or made me say: I MUST have one urge.  If you recall I ordered the 4.2 R8.

However since yesterday that Rossi posted the pictures, this burning urge inside me (like a little kid) is back.  Every time I see the pictures I keep telling myself: I MUST get me one of these.  I feel rejuvenated kind of like when the heat was on during early 996 era.

I love the looks of the 991 the front, the back the proportion and the grace.  I love it and I’ll do my best to get one when available.  Thanks Porsche for fueling the fire in me again, well done.

My feelings as well. I haven't found the styling of the current Porsche models exciting enough visually, to the point where I have been Porsche-less this last year for the first time since 1980! 

I'm so happy that the retro-ish curves are gone, replaced by more dynamic lines, with more tension. 

Gnil:

@ Moderator :  Maybe we should start a new thread for the spy pics 991 Turbo   ( which seems to look VERY nice )

Hi Gnil, hope you're well Smiley

Thanks - IMO, rather than starting a new 991 Turbo (Cab) spyshots thread, it is more logical IMvHO to continue the spyshot photos on the existing 991 spyshots thread which I will re-open, re-label and make into a sticky thread again.

Guys, please can you keep this thread for actual 991 launch photos ONLY.

All spyshots for the rest of the 991 range (that have not yet been released) should continue on the 991 spyshots thread Smiley

Thanks for your cooperation guys - hope you all continue to enjoy these boards Smiley

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

DavidSF:

+1 Smiley I have a 997.1 which I enjoy as much as ever but I would be the first to readily admit that the 991 is streets ahead in terms of looks, performance, modern design etc Smiley

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

reginos:

The Boxster is a superb car. It is considered as a poor relative and snubbed at. Very wrongly IMO. I enjoy the 987 as much as the 997 for a fraction of the cost.

The Spyder is only good for sunny climates of around 25 C max. 30 C. Where is such a place? Maybe Los Angeles and around. 

The Spyder is rather more a car for Las Vegas or Dubai, not for Los Angeles (where it rained a couple of times in June during my stay). The roof "mechanism" is really a pain in the ass. Smiley

As to the ordinary Boxster (S): I like the Boxster but the reputation of this Porsche model is very unfortunate. Performance-wise, it may be capable to keep up with the 997 on the track in tight twists and turns but in real life, the 997 is usually always faster. From 0-200 kph, there is a 4 seconds difference between the 997 Carrera GTS Cab and the latest Boxster S and 4 seconds are really a lot. This is the performance difference between the Turbo S and the Carrera GTS Cab.

From a design point of view, I like the 911 much better than the Boxster. The Boxster looks more "compact", more sports car like, I know but still...the 911 is the 911, I can't explain it.

I think it would be time to offer more power in the Boxster and Cayman because not many 911 buyers would choose the Boxster or Cayman instead. The reason is the rear space of the 911, it allows to transport passengers and especially a lot of luggage. I really doubt that a Boxster or Cayman with 400 hp would seriously hurt 911 sales. Maybe only a little bit but hey, it would stay in the family. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Hey all, when are the cabriolet pics coming out...any idea?

The problem with very hot climates (around 40C for many weeks) is that you cannot stand the heat and the strong sunshine for more than a very short time. So even if the chance of rain is zero, you need to be able to raise the hood quickly at any time. Anyway, I wonder how many sales the Spyder has generated . I drove one during a Roadshow and subjectively it was very close to the normal Boxster S.

I had a 986 and now 987 (which I don't use personally very often). Much slower than the 911 but I find the 987 sweeter in the ride/handling department  and easier to drive casually, for example when I drive the 100kms to the beach at 7pm. 

IMO Porsche should raise the car's status above the BMW/Mercedes models and offer it as a parallel product to the 911

--

"Form follows function"

Upsa:

Hey all, when are the cabriolet pics coming out...any idea?

Spring 2012...if you are lucky. Cars should be available in some markets summer 2012...again, if you are lucky.

Maybe one of our talented users could do a photoshop job on the coupe ? Thank you.

--

RC, what is the date for the turbo? I remember you guys mentioning that Porsche has accelerated the introduction of the turbo compared to the 997tt.

palenimbus:

RC, what is the date for the turbo? I remember you guys mentioning that Porsche has accelerated the introduction of the turbo compared to the 997tt.

According to the latest rumor we heard, summer 2013.

530 hp (like 997 Turbo S), aprox. 50 kg lighter than 997 Turbo, active aerodynamics (whatever this means) and LED front lights (maybe optional).

--

German market prices with Mwst.

991 Carrera 88037€

991 Carrera S 102463€

RC:

Official technical data available now too:

Carrera: 350 hp at 6400 rpm, 3.4 l engine

Carrera S: 400 hp at 7000 rpm. 3.8 l engine

0-100 kph (Carrera S with PDK and Sport Chrono Plus):  4.1 seconds (4.3 seconds without Sport Chrono Plus but with PDK), Top speed (Carrera S): 302 kph.

Weight is 45 kg lighter than 997 models.

The new 991 is 5.6 cm longer, 1.1 cm lower and 6.5 cm wider than the 997.

RC, i remember Kreso said that the dimensions (on rear) are the same from 997.2 (1808 mm).

Were this 6.5 cm wider came from? On the front

Tks

The 997 is1808mm  for the body but 1952mm with mirrors. The larger mrrors could account for the extra 65mm on the 991.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:
    The reason is the rear space of the 911, it allows to transport passengers and especially a lot of luggage.

Now that you mention it, I'd like to see pics of the new rear seats as well.  Maybe next week?

pjd:

RC:

Official technical data available now too:

Carrera: 350 hp at 6400 rpm, 3.4 l engine

Carrera S: 400 hp at 7000 rpm. 3.8 l engine

0-100 kph (Carrera S with PDK and Sport Chrono Plus):  4.1 seconds (4.3 seconds without Sport Chrono Plus but with PDK), Top speed (Carrera S): 302 kph.

Weight is 45 kg lighter than 997 models.

The new 991 is 5.6 cm longer, 1.1 cm lower and 6.5 cm wider than the 997.

RC, i remember Kreso said that the dimensions (on rear) are the same from 997.2 (1808 mm).

Were this 6.5 cm wider came from? On the front

Tks

wow -a very fast car for 400 hp !

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689815 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409364 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255811 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235038 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65559 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858122 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774215 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM