Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, the new 991...

RC:

Official technical data available now too:

Carrera: 350 hp at 6400 rpm, 3.4 l engine

Carrera S: 400 hp at 7000 rpm. 3.8 l engine

0-100 kph (Carrera S with PDK and Sport Chrono Plus):  4.1 seconds (4.3 seconds without Sport Chrono Plus but with PDK), Top speed (Carrera S): 302 kph.

Carrera GTS owners surely don't need to worry. 

Weight is 45 kg lighter than 997 models.

The new 991 is 5.6 cm longer, 1.1 cm lower and 6.5 cm wider than the 997.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Is the 0-100 @ 4.1 only when using launch control? If that is the case, I think it is a somewhat  meaningless number as LC is a function rarely used in day to day driving. The non-LC times are more a reflection of how the car feel to drive.

a928:
    Budster:

That's a great looking engine!  Of course I'm entitled to my own opinion...  Oh God, I just said that!  I'm going to throw up! 

Oh..dont say that here..otherwise you will end up here like me..I will not post on the "engine issue" anymore (not here in this forum) ....

@a928: the humour was obviously lost on you. Budster was sarcastically making fun of the fact that it has actually been necessary to spell it out to you that people are merely expressing their opinion and that spelling this out is vomit-inducing.

People have been polite and patient but read spudgun's and davew (cincy)'s posts. They summarise the views of many people.

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Carrara:

Here's an interior pshop I made:

Can't believe it.  Just done exactly the same thing, so you stole my thunder lol !!!! Smiley  Hey Carrara, we seem to live exciting lives. Smiley

Here's mine (Think you got a better colour though as I introduced too much blue and it's too dark.)

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

easy_rider911:
    a928:
    Budster:

That's a great looking engine!  Of course I'm entitled to my own opinion...  Oh God, I just said that!  I'm going to throw up! 

Oh..dont say that here..otherwise you will end up here like me..I will not post on the "engine issue" anymore (not here in this forum) ....

@a928: the humour was obviously lost on you. Budster was sarcastically making fun of the fact that it has actually been necessary to spell it out to you that people are merely expressing their opinion and that spelling this out is vomit-inducing.

People have been polite and patient but read spudgun's and davew (cincy)'s posts. They summarise the views of many people.

Hi easy rider,

Of course I knew they were sarcastic..I was just replying with some humour...but lets forget the engine bay 991 discussion..for the sake of keeping the harmony Smiley

PS: no comments on the 991 article? already known here? But I will leave you guys now..SmileySmiley

:), almost looks like a dark sea blue, I like it!

a928, I'm not denying what I said, but I said that before the leaked pictures came out, and honestly, I didn't like the interior that much until I saw the leaked pictures. And feel free to be upset about the engine bay, you know deep down inside we all have some sort of regret about that.

Carrara:

a928, I'm not denying what I said, but I said that before the leaked pictures came out, and honestly, I didn't like the interior that much until I saw the leaked pictures.

No problem Carrera..

PS: are you driving a Carrera GTSmiley?...one of the few Porsches I havent been in...

take care,

@ResB: actually your p'shop effort IMO gives a good idea of what Ocean Blue (or its equivalent) may look like 

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

WOW! what a difference a day makes. 

When I first saw the initial pics I was thinking, ok, it doesn't look to bad. I was in the same boat as Ron when it came to the 997.1. I wasn't impressed at all, and I went for an 05' 996 C4S.

Now after seeing all the new angles it looks stunning. The only thing I would want different is still the slight change of the front indicator lights and the model designation to look different. Otherwise, it looks so good 

Time to start filling up my piggy bank for a Turbo or GT3...probably a GT3 

a928:
    Carrara:

a928, I'm not denying what I said, but I said that before the leaked pictures came out, and honestly, I didn't like the interior that much until I saw the leaked pictures.

No problem Carrera..

PS: are you driving a Carrera GTSmiley?...one of the few Porsches I havent been in...

take care,

I could only wish!

For now, any of my arguments for or against the 991 are over! Smiley I think its astonishing, nothing more, nothing less. Smiley

Cheers!

fritz:
    Ron (Houston):

Now that I had some time to relax and look at the pictures, I would like to share my humble personal opinion.  In 2004/2005 when the 997.1 was introduced, I wasn’t impressed with the photos and when it came to the showrooms I went to check it out in person to do a touch and feel.  No offense to the 997.1 owners (strictly my personal impression) it didn’t capture me or made me say: I MUST have one urge.  If you recall I ordered the 4.2 R8.

However since yesterday that Rossi posted the pictures, this burning urge inside me (like a little kid) is back.  Every time I see the pictures I keep telling myself: I MUST get me one of these.  I feel rejuvenated kind of like when the heat was on during early 996 era.

I love the looks of the 991 the front, the back the proportion and the grace.  I love it and I’ll do my best to get one when available.  Thanks Porsche for fueling the fire in me again, well done.

Ron, have you been buying those little blue pills on the internet again? Smiley

How did you know Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

Carrara:

With every new picture the 991 looks better and better! Check these out! What a properly sexy car!

Dear God, my 997.2 is looking more & more dated next to this beauty. 3/4 rear is the way I like it most, simply amazing.. J.Seven

MKSGR:

This thread makes clear to me that traveling for two days is a major mistake...

Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I think it would be good to make the Turbo S 50ps more not 30ps, just like the difference between the Carrera and the S variant.

Carrara:

With every new picture the 991 looks better and better! Check these out! What a properly sexy car!

WOW, this looks phenomenally good ! I really didn't expect such an outstanding design ! I thought it would be dull/boring like the previous model. But it looks much more upmarket now, more like a real supercar (aston martin, ferrari) than a, excuse me for saying it, sportified beetle. 

Anyway, when is the cab due for release ? I just can't wait to see how that turns out, especially with the new metal roof it should be something else. Oh, and please don't wrap it in cloth, porsche, that would be just...lame.

The design seems to "grow" on people...nicely done, Porsche (and no, again...I've not been paid by Porsche to say this ).

@a928: It is not common over here to advertise, even in your very subtle way, other forums, even if many of our users are members in other forums too. The reason: The other forums actually get paid. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

I love the design of the new 991. (despite the similarity with the Panamera back).

I'm anxiously waiting for the convertible - see what that hard folding top will look like and for the 4S. The back window is narrower at the bottom and the back looks so much nicer.

Will take a test drive as soon as it is available. My car is still pretty competitive from a performance standpoint (391hp +) if you stick with the manual. I've been on the fence about the PDK, maybe I'll be ready to make that change in a few years, but not for now.

I'm in. Manual. PCCBs.

The 993 time was my teenager time and so it was one of my dream and poster car.  When the 996 was introduced, because it looked so different both in term of shape and proportion to the 993 inside and out, who managed to perpetuate the classic (air-cooled) shape of the 911 (inside and out), I disliked it.  But when they introduced the 996.2, and while the front lights still looked weird although better, I became fond again of the 911. At that point in time, I do not know why, but I felt that Porsche turned from a traditional and small sportscar manufacturer to an acomplished sportscar manufacturer fully embracing modernity.  I was turning from a cars nut to a cars and Porsche nut.  Note that this perception may be wrong as I was young(er) and not so knoledgeable Porsche-wise as I am now, but this is part of the imagery I had and still have a a young man. We all have one, right?  Smiley  And when the 997 was introduced with the return of the traditional front lights, I instantly felt it was the right 911, just like Rossi so rightly put it. Yesterday as I saw the first pictures of the 991, my stance against the brand and Porsche only reinforced. This the perfect evolution of the 911, or to be more specific, this is the perfect evolution of the 997.  They managed to transpose the classic and iconic 911 shape into today's modernity, just like they managed to do so 7 years ago upon the introduction of the 997. I love the 991 inside and out...And I love Rossi even more.  Smiley

booger:

I'm in. Manual. PCCBs.

+1.  turbo, manual, PCCBs.  

WOW!!! I was a few days "out" and join only now on the party.

My comments:

So far i am..... IN LOVE!!!! Really hopping to see and test drive this new machine!!! 

A very good job from Porsche on "evolution design"... The interior is also great!!

The new 991 it`s a very modern, mature, elegant and sportier 911 then ever before....

p.s.: I`m also not being paid by Porsche to promote the new 911 . Loving this car don`t make us less critical about it... 

Glad to see you posting your thoughts pjd! I know you were very nervous about the headlights, what do you think now seeing them? I think they're fantastic!

Carrara:

Glad to see you posting your thoughts pjd! I know you were very nervous about the headlights, what do you think now seeing them? I think they're fantastic!

Hello Carrara! Can`t be more relief!! Smiley

From what i see so far the headlights look soo great!! Nice proportion...

The final result exceeded my expectation Smiley

Now i need to see it in real

Does anyone know what the deal is with the different bumpers...the top pics have a wide license plate area, and the lower ones have a small area. Since the top pics are C2 and C2S with the same bumper, and the lowers also appear to be C2 and C2S, are the bumpers for different countries? Since there are no bumperettes, I would assume there would even be a 3rd look, for the US?

I sure like the wide license plate area bumper in the upper pics much better.

The yellow and silver cars you posted are U.S spec cars. The U.S cars will have the small liscence plate area with no more bumperettes, while the R.O.W will get the wide liscence plate are as pictured in the latest photos. 

The newer photos reveal a very sexy, sleek door line.  I really love this design.

Just one question to Porsche marketing:  Why include the front plate in all the press photos?  Many (including me) don't have front plates, legally and otherwise.  It's like a supermodel wearing a "hello, my name is..." sticker on her, er, chest...

Who else does this in press photos?  (never paid close attention before)

I'm really starting to like the rear view, but keep hearing Clarkson say ...in the front  the crack design team put  Boxster intakes on it and then misaligned the foglights. Smiley

1313724738039991.jpg987S.jpg

These latest pictures, specially the silver car look very very good. I'm well on my way to loving the 991

RC:

a928:

.....Come on..your loosing every sense of neutrality here...if youre afraid to agree that even the 991 has some flaws..then..becomes clear by whom you are paid..

If you know somebody at Porsche who wants to pay me (or just provide a nice test car for my weekends Smiley), feel free to tell him to contact me, I gladly accept any interesting offer.  Smiley

To be serious: Rennteam is a forum like no other on the internet. Do you know why ? Because all of us, the Admins and the Moderators, have real life jobs and none of these jobs is connected to the car industry or to Porsche. Yes, we even pay our bills ourselves, the crappy Google Ads advertisement barely covers the server cost and we already had to switch servers twice because of the huge traffic and usage load. None of us gets paid by anybody, we put our private money and time (which for most of us equals a lot of money considering our high profile jobs) into it and sometimes we even get slapped into the face but new users for our commitment to the community, which is a shame.

Even the forum software is unique, the programmer programmed it for us as a pro bono work and we really appreciate it because it gets better and better every day.

The best part however are our users: Many of our users are unique because they are not some Playstation kids arguing about some cars they never drove but real owners who usually not only own a Porsche but two or three or even other sports cars. Many of the users here are serious people with serious jobs and this is why I think this place is unique. Even follow the non-car related discussions and you can actually learn how people who actually have different political or even cultural views, can find a common ground and discuss even the most passionate topics in a very civilized way. This is why I love this forum.

Yes, I felt a little bit offended by your comment but I give you the benefit of doubt because you are new here. 

To make it short: I am 46 years old, I'm a professional in the medical/pharmaceutical field, I'm married and I have two kids. Money is tight (for somebody who loves high performance sports cars not really a good thing) but I still enjoy driving a Porsche and of course this forum. I am not paid by anybody, unless you want to volunteer. Smiley

Smiley

--

I for one, RC, would like to say thanks for the effort you make for this community, and to the other participants of the forum as well.  

Cheers to you all for creating a mature, entertaining, informative Porsche community.

Smiley 

BlackOctober:

Here's one more

1313691958572Porsche-911-991--fotoshowImage-84a21d0b-524980.jpg 

--

2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

2007 997 GT3

2006 Mercedes G500

1993 964 Turbo (Sold)

That's the money.

RC:

Now you may know why I went for the 997 Carrera GTS but don't get me wrong, I love the new 991, it is a very nice evolution of the 911.

Why didn't Porsche go for a sportier and flatter design ? You will get the answer over the next 2-3 years...I guess. 

RC, I applaud you for saying you love the 991 even though you have a 997 Carrera GTS. It takes a strong secure man owning a 997 to say that. Most people who own a 997 will say they hate the 991 or find fault with it.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763104 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435714 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260705 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257690 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80994 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872610 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808059 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM