Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

Well said Carlos....SmileySmiley  My 997 C2S is just plain fun to drive.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

While I can understand the enjoyment of a "dancing" rear end (on a Porsche and a beautiful woman), I am in the camp of stablizing it more.  I have driven and raced dozens of 911 variants over the years, and the danciing rear end has always been difficult at best to control consistently, and at worst downright dangerous.  Spin outs can happen so suddenly, and few mortals can control them effectivelly.  If you do enjoy this oversteer tendency, please, please, please be careful....

nberry:
    If you all enjoy the old 911's, you're not interest in performance.Smiley

Wrong!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a PDF posted by Chris Harris on drivers-republic.com when he tried the 997 with the new DFI block, this document refers about the new engine and all the technical characteristics.

Does someone still have it ?

Thanks

Porsche engineers are improving performance in 991 they don't care weather you like bouncing rear end or the way you enjoy driving your Porsche . There are many competitors out there and the engineers are working hard and doing a real good job . I have no doubt it will be better and I have no choice but to buy one so let's hope this one will kick asses

I decided to browse the Google Patent search to see if Porsche has filed anything soon that might be glimpse of the next cars. I have a strong feeling this might be for the upcoming GT3. Looks racy..... 

http://www.google.com/patents?id=TQBhAQAAEBAJ&printsec=drawing&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized it's the same wheel for the 918! Just got too excited.

agree with Carlos and  faster doesn't necessarily mean more fun....lot's of conclusions these days are that the limit of modern sportscars are higher than most drivers can manage - t4 sometimes a slower car that reach their limit at slowers speeds are more exploidable that going in a corner with huge speeds just to feel the back once hanging out a bit......- this is why I personally agree with most Clarkson verdicts as it's not about fastest - but again - most fun....

nberry:

MY God, you guys live in the past. You all are probably the same owners who insist on manual transmissions. Smiley

Bottom lined of any sport car is performance. Anything that deflects from performance is bad. The squirrelly backend and floating high speed front end all serve to impede its performance.  A twitchy car is not what I call fun.Smiley

If you all enjoy the old 911's, you're not interest in performance.Smiley

I do not live in the past. I was one of the very first to get PDK .

But you need to try your Turbo on other roads then your city or highway boulevards...to find out about what I am talking about.Smiley

Faster is not always better . Look at PDK . It is much faster then manual, but many people still prefer a stick for the added involvement it gives, even if loosing on performance.

I do believe Porsche will come out with a great car , but I do hope it keeps it's  unique feel ( which they have managed to do until now )

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

But you need to try your Turbo on other roads then your city or highway boulevards...to find out about what I am talking about.Smiley

You mean, that you can start with the acceleration much earlier - come out of the curve with incredible speed? And all just secure without getting panic attacs! You don´t have to take care about the weather conditions? This is speed - this is performance and this makes a sports car.

A dancing tail is only fun if it is under control - the first time you loose this control - it won´t be fun anymore.

From inside guys, I can tell you, that the new 991 awd will have less understeer - which is the only negative point of a 911 4, 4s or tt. And as said before the 991 tt will accelerate in 2.9 seconds to 100 km/h - which is incredible.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

choupaps:

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a PDF posted by Chris Harris on drivers-republic.com when he tried the 997 with the new DFI block, this document refers about the new engine and all the technical characteristics.

Thanks

I think I have saved it.

--

"Form follows function"

ALDO:

You mean, that you can start with the acceleration much earlier - come out of the curve with incredible speed? And all just secure without getting panic attacs! You don´t have to take care about the weather conditions? This is speed - this is performance and this makes a sports car.

A dancing tail is only fun if it is under control - the first time you loose this control - it won´t be fun anymore.

Smiley

From inside guys, I can tell you, that the new 991 awd will have less understeer - which is the only negative point of a 911 4, 4s or tt. And as said before the 991 tt will accelerate in 2.9 seconds to 100 km/h - which is incredible.

2.9 sec???  Smiley    I want a 991 TT!!!!!

I would even predict under 2.9 sec., because even now 997.2 TT accelerate in 2.9 sec in various tests...

ALDO:

I am not talking about lateral dancing  ( samba like ) ,  but about the vertical dancing ( more like in a lap dance ) Smiley  ..when you feel the work of the weight of the engine on the suspensions, and then the work to the wheels and on the road ! That's the pleasure that feeds me most on a 911  , and right  after that the 2.9 s would do it Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

If speed is not the issue but fun and testing driving skills, you would be better of with the Boxster, Miata or Lotus. These cars would certainly challenge your skills but not be powerful enough to kill you in the process.

--

nberry:

If speed is not the issue but fun and testing driving skills, you would be better of with the Boxster, Miata or Lotus. These cars would certainly challenge your skills but not be powerful enough to kill you in the process.

They do not have a rear engine Smiley and speed is also an issue , and so is safety Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

How about a Corvair?

--

nberry:

How about a Corvair?

Early Corvairs had swing-axel rear ends rivaling 356 geometry. However, the later designs with A-arm rear suspensions handled better than 911s of their day. Too late to un-do the civilization-scale jury tampering of Ralph' Nader's "Unsafe at Any Speed" screed. Don't believe me? Check out historic lap records of SCCA D-production set by Yenko Stinger versions of Corvairs!
    --

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T

I was aware they were pretty good handling cars but not to the extent you cite. Smiley Nader really did a job on this car. Smiley

--

The Corvair was developed in cooperation with Porsche. It was Porsches first "shadow" attempt at a 4 seat convertible and coupe.

It took me a while to figure this about my c4s - It understeers if you are shy.. If you are confident, are in the right gears at the right revs, it tracks true through corners with the slingshot feeling as you power out...

At town speeds I am on 1st gear very often through corners..

I think thats what makes 911's great.. the feeling that it took you a while to learn about it, and more you learn, the more satisfying it is...

What we dont want is somehting that's too easy and predictable to drive, as a boxster. More the challenge, the better.

choupaps:

Thanks

Hi there -- not sure if anyone might still have the pdf of the original press briefing pack...

2008 Porsche 997 DFI press briefing - original filename:
    • "DR_911_Carrera_Coupe_Cabrio_GB.pdf" Smiley

...but here's a link to the feature article by Chris Harris on the 997 with the new DFI block from June 2008! Smiley

Chris-Harris_Porsche-997-DFI-PDK-article_2008.jpg

...all due credit and many thanks to Chris Harris!

Smiley SmileySmiley

HeavyMetalThunder:

What we dont want is somehting that's too easy and predictable to drive, as a boxster.

You mean well balanced with perfect weight distribution? Smiley

(From my humble track experience I found the 911 a lot easier and more predictable on the limit than the Boxster. With the 911 there is more progressive feedback when approaching the limit, while the Boxster simply snaps and then one has to be bloody fast to get it back)

Which one is more satisfying is obviously a personal preference Smiley 

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

rpRSR:

I decided to browse the Google Patent search to see if Porsche has filed anything soon that might be glimpse of the next cars. I have a strong feeling this might be for the upcoming GT3. Looks racy..... 

http://www.google.com/patents?id=TQBhAQAAEBAJ&printsec=drawing&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized it's the same wheel for the 918! Just got too excited.

I would also tend to say that this is more for the 918....what the patent would remains unclear..a steering with many buttons..is not something new..Smiley

a928:
    I would also tend to say that this is more for the 918....what the patent would remains unclear..a steering with many buttons..is not something new..Smiley

The patent is for the "ornamental design" of a steering wheel, so its just intended to register the styling of the wheel, not protect any technical function.

It says on there that the broken lines (showing the switches and controls) are just for illustration purposes.  

--

fritz

More shots on that cayman spied

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/boxster-cayman/61325-spied-2013-porsche-cayman-hits-nuerburgring.html

--
    Gee Tee Two, dangit she is fun Chevy Tahoe, dangit are you a big pig

New Cayman will be also a great car, no doubt!!

(There is a section on Rennteam for the Cayman)

...wonder if the new Cayman will be a similar size to the 993?

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Porsche Cayman (2012) the first spy photos...

(5 July 2011)

The next Porsche 911 debuts at the Frankfurt motor show this September, the wraps will be pulled off the Mk3 Boxster at the 2012 Detroit motor show, but there’s a third all-new Porsche on the way too. It’s the second-generation Porsche Cayman, caught by our spies while on test at the Nürburgring; it’ll be on sale in the UK by the end of 2012.

I know  this car – the new Porsche Cayman is just a revised version of the current Porsche Cayman, right?

Not quite, as it’s an all-new model – albeit one that shares a lot of DNA with the new 981 Boxster and 991 911. However, Porsche is determined to spread its offerings over a much wider range of market segments, so differentiation is the new name of the game, not standardisation and simplification. Items like bespoke doors will now help you tell the mid-engined cars apart from the rear-engined icon, and Stuttgart’s designers have made further effort to differentiate all three. Inside expect a heavy Cayenne/Panamera influence, with a rising transmission tunnel.

Like its forthcoming Mk3 Boxster sibling, the current Cayman’s 2415mm wheelbase will be stretched by 60mm, increasing legroom by 18mm; overall length is up, but the front overhang will be decreased by around 25mm. But despite the increase in size, bigger wheels and tyres (18s rather than 17s will standard on the boggo model, 19s on the S) and extra crash structures, both the standard Cayman and Cayman S will weigh less than their predecessors – reckon on at least a 15kg weight saving for each. 

When does the Cayman get four-pot power?

Not until both the Cayman and Boxster are facelifted in 2015/2016, and if marketing agrees, the entire range could eventually switch to the new drivetrain. The pair are expected to receive the bigger-bore 2.5-litre twin-turbo flat four, which comes in various power guises up to 355bhp and 347lb ft.; a smaller 1.6 version is reserved for the 356 and its VW and Audi (and potentially Seat) cousins. The first hybridised Cayman (and Boxster) models should also appear in 2016.

In the meantime, the Cayman sticks with its famed flat sixes. Just as the new Boxster will gain an extra 10bhp to put it on par with today’s entry level Cayman (and the S will move up to a Cayman R-equaling 315bhp), so the new hardtop car will be subtly boosted to justify the extra Porsche charges over the Boxster. The lighter weight, more efficient engines, honed aerodynamics and new features such as start-stop, extensive thermo-management, recuperation and a new electrically-assisted power-steering add up to an 18% drop in consumption

And as an aside, the next, next Boxster and Cayman will appear in 2018 and 2019, using a development of the new platform, as the two-generation lifecycle was signed off before VW took charge.

Porsche-future-plans_Car-magazine-link

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Next Porsche Cayman - new pics...

(5 July 2011)

These are the best spy pics yet of Porsche's second-generation Cayman in action.

Spied in high-speed testing at the Nurburgring ahead of its 2012 launch, Porsche's small sports car will receive lightly reworked versions of today’s 2.9 and 3.4 six-cylinder engines, delivering around 280bhp (in the 2.9) and 330bhp (3.4).

Other changes from the first-gen to second-gen Cayman include a new electro-mechanical steering system and a stop-start system to help boost the Cayman's economy and reduce CO2 emissions.

Longer term, Porsche plans to give the Cayman a new turbo 2.0 flat four being developed for its 2014 mid-engined sub-Boxster roadster.

The next-gen Cayman will be launched alongside the third-generation Boxster, which is also at the Nurburgring for high-speed testing. Every panel in the new Cayman and Boxster models will be new, as will the Boxster's fabric roof. The new panels will be lighter, too, to keep weight to a minimum.

The wheelbase and overall length of both cars will both grow, the length to nearly 4.4 metres, providing more passenger and luggage space. These changes will also help create space in the Porsche range for the smaller roadster.

The timing of the arrival of the new models coincides with the end of Porsche’s contract with Valmet Automotive in Finland, where the current Boxster and Cayman are made. Production of the next-gen cars will switch to Stuttgart.

2012-Porsche-Cayman_Autocar-link

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Porsche Cayman spy shots...

All-new coupe spotted camouflaged, but showing off its revised silhouette...

(4 July 2011)

Porsche has always taken an evolutionary approach to design. The timeless silhouette of the 911 for example, has barely altered over a period of nearly 50 years, and it would appear that the company are sticking with this design philosophy with the next-generation Cayman, as these spy shots reveal.

At the front new LED headlights provide a sharper, fresher look and deep air intakes in the bumper add aggression. In profile, the model appears to be similar to its predecessor with the most significant changes consisting of more flared wheelarches and what appears to be a slightly higher window-line positioned above sculpted rear flanks.

The biggest changes are reserved for the rear end, which appears much lower to the ground than before, with a strikingly large rear window providing greater rearward visibility and hinting at increased practicality.

It’s likely the new Cayman will follow the trend set by the second-generation Cayenne and the upcoming next-generation Boxster by shedding some weight as Porsche looks to improve economy across their range and lower combined CO2 output to comply with increasingly tough Euro V emission standards.

Buyers can expect the Cayman to make its debut at a major motor show in late 2012, ahead of its 2013 on-sale date.

2012-Porsche-Cayman_AutoExpress-article

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM