Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

I agree with Carrageous, it looks much more muscular. However, the new spoiler reminds me a lot of the Audi TT one...

--

Matt C
    2009 997 GT3 Mk2  / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

2013 Porsche Cayman Spy Photos - Future Cars...

No surprise here: The next Cayman looks a lot like the current one, and we’re okay with that...

Update: We now have much closer shots of the next Cayman, and they reveal a more 911-like silhouette and front end. The roof appears flatter than the current car’s, and we can see just how much the stretched wheelbase affects things like the size of the rear window. Less exciting: This prototype appears to have a sensor in the front fascia’s center opening, suggesting some kind of laser- or radar-based system like active cruise control will be offered.

We’ve already spotted the 2012 Boxster in the wild—our editor-in-chief, Eddie Alterman, even snagged a few shots himself—but now we have the first spy photos of the next-gen Boxster’s hardtop sibling, the 2013 Cayman. Since the two cars share a platform, most of what we know about the Boxster will apply to the Cayman as well. This means carry-over flat-sixes, with a new flat-four as the base engine. The current Cayman engine lineup starts with a 265-hp, 2.9-liter flat-six, moving to a 320-hp, 3.4-liter flat-six in the Cayman S. We don’t know much about the new four-cylinder, but it most likely will be a shortened version of the six, rather than an all-new engine. Transmissions are not likely to change much, and the new Cayman should make do with the existing six-speed manual and seven-speed PDK dual-clutch automatic.

The upcoming Boxster will ride on a slightly longer wheelbase, and the Cayman will inherit the same extension. The longer wheelbase shows itself here in the Cayman’s longer rear-quarter windows and the longer roofline. Aside from an expected boost in interior space, perhaps the biggest benefit of the stretch is that the lengthened hatch affords a larger rear window.

Moving down from the roofline, the appearance of the next Cayman will change little from today’s car. The fenders are just as curved and pumped-out as the current Cayman’s, and the vertical intakes ahead of the rear wheels remain—how else are you going to feed a mid-mounted engine? While our shooter failed to snap any pictures of the front of the car, we got a clear look at the Boxster’s schnozz, and we can confidently say that not much will change up front for the coupe, either. (This is sort of a habit at Porsche; note how similar the next 911 will be to the current car—and the one before that, and the one before that, and so on.)

Then again, we can’t think of much we want to change. In an era of tremendous upheaval in the auto industry, Porsche’s mid-engine coupe is one thing we’re glad to see stay the same. Look for better, crisper pictures of the Cayman as its official debut sometime in mid-2012 draws near.

2013-Porsche-Cayman_Car-and-Driver

Smiley SmileySmiley

Impressions from Topgear:

"First, the big surprise: it felt less rear-engined. Less 911-ish, more Cayman-like" hhhmmm...

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-porsche-011-991-driven-review

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:

Impressions from Topgear:

"First, the big surprise: it felt less rear-engined. Less 911-ish, more Cayman-like" hhhmmm...

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-porsche-011-991-driven-review

Didn't I predict that a year or so ago?

It will be an awesome car - higher performer, better handling, faster, but... less 911. It won't matter a bit to the crashing majority of 911 buyers, but it will matter a lot to some.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

"Aside from an expected boost in interior space.."

A little more legroom, please.

--

"People ignore design that ignores people."

New Porsches are always better and faster than the ones they replaced.

With the longer wheelbase will likely come better hi speed directional stability, better resistance to crosswinds and reduced front end diagonal yawing in some dynamic situations.

The only other car company to ever even hint about a 7spd manual gearbox was Lamborghini when they announced the Urraco but they couldnt get it light enough.

Interior does look busy and not really more spacious for its additional size.

The sensor in the aboveposted bumper pics looks like a combination device for optics and a laser. So perhaps Porsche is joining BMW and Mercedes in the offering of one.

in today's times, 7 speed manual sounds like HD TV but just in black and withe...
    --
    ALL PORSCHE ARE REAL PORSCHE!!!

porsche is giving you the chance to wait & see on this 991 and if it just doesn't cut it for you,you still have time to order a 997.2 turbo as they intend on continuing the builds of the coupe and cab until Dec 2012 although the release said they could shut things down earlier.

anyway - that was enough for me to put the 997.2 turbo coupe sitting on my dealor's lot on hold and sit it out for this unveiling. if the 991 doesn't do it for me it will be a turbo cab.

--
    08 RS 60 Spyder 08 GTS-6spd Manual 06 LR3-V8 HSE 04 C4S sold 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

ed_moree:
    in today's times, 7 speed manual sounds like HD TV but just in black and withe...

Smiley

--

That Cayman looks real nice! 

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

When I tried my first  911, I instantly fell in love with the 'dancing' back .

Today I had a fantastic drive on an uneven curvy mountain road, and the way the back of my 997.2 Carrera S was dancing on every little hole, bumpy surface, uneven asphalt, different surface was just a dream !!! I do want to feel this in the next generation !!

I do want to feel the heavy back,  the unbelievable traction at the back, the fantastic grip, even if that means loosing a bit on front grip and more understeer.

The 991 will probably be more balanced and a bit more neutral , more efficient, but the 911 can not give up on that dancing back feeling !!!! That's the soul of this car !!!

I hope it stays intact !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

I do want to feel the heavy back,  the unbelievable traction at the back, the fantastic grip, even if that means loosing a bit on front grip and more understeer.

The 991 will probably be more balanced and a bit more neutral , more efficient, but the 911 can not give up on that dancing back feeling !!!! That's the soul of this car !!!

I hope it stays intact !

You are not alone Gnil SmileySmiley

--

Gnil:

Today I had a fantastic drive on an uneven curvy mountain road

I had the same today Smiley and I subscribe every single word in your posting, Gnil Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Smiley Smiley Smiley 

--

Gnil:

Today I had a fantastic drive on an uneven curvy mountain road, and the way the back of my 997.2 Carrera S was dancing on every little hole, bumpy surface, uneven asphalt, different surface was just a dream !!! I do want to feel this in the next generation !!

I hope it stays intact !

Intact? No, it cannot be intact, not with a WB larger than the Cayman and a reported push of the engine forward with oblique (pointing rewards) semi-axles; it's just Physics. I predict that it will handle very well but it will not 'dance' as you've described. You, I and a few others will miss that, the smashing majority of 911 buyers will not.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

IMO the 997 compared with the 996 was better when you approach the limit of the grip by sending better feedback to the driver. There were more "ahead of time" warnings that you are going to get in trouble. The 997 was/is more civilized and less "snappy" than the 996. I believe the 991 will take it even further and by doing so it will make the car too numb/dull for the passionate driver. Until we test drive a 991 there is no way of knowing the truth. However, in the same time, if the car is numb approaching the grip's limit and then suddenly is loosing it, there will be more accidents with the new car. Either that or the new electronics a so great that they will save the "standard" drivers.
    --

There is no try. Just do.

I doubt that the car will be boring. But I also doubt that it gets more room. The guy on the photo looks like he does not have enough place to seat... I want slightly bigger rear seats... The kids are growing up :)) And what's up with the 20" wheels? The designer team is a bunch of teenagers? :) I live in Montreal. If you have runflats here you have to stop at the chiropractor daily. Same with 20"s... Unless they really manage to get the wheel bigger overall by having more rubber. God knows... But with all the complaining and whining we are all going to order the new ones :) I hope 4s is not too far off in the pipeline...

Gnil:

I hope it stays intact !

+ 1 - that summs it up perfectly Smiley 

Huh... 991 will be a 911 BUT... My personal opinion (base on my P source info) is that many current 997 and 997.2 models will be more happy with their current car then with 991-despite the fact that 991 is faster and safer car overall.

Just... That also means that some of 997 drive dynamic signatures will be tamed. Much, much better high speed stability, less front end lightness at high speed, just small understeer and still amazing traction-that is 991. Gap will be bigger in case 997.2>991 then in 993>996 case.

If you have for example any GT3/GT2 997/997.2 series derivat and you are very happy with it-keep it in that case! That is my honest advice. 991 will be more mature sportscar...

I think this 991 whinging reminds me of the reaction to previous Porsche model changes. Main example of that was the 993 a model which for many owners continued to be considered (wrongly) as the best Porsche for many years after its demise.

In reality the 993 was very insufficient next to the 996/early 997 cars.

I expect that when the 991 comes the 997 will also look like a relic in comparison and all its inadequacies (dynamic and otherwise) will suddenly be revealed.

Remember, the best Porsche is the latest Porsche, even within the same range and more so when models change.

--

"Form follows function"

KresoF1:

Just... That also means that some of 997 drive dynamic signatures will be tamed. Much, much better high speed stability, less front end lightness at high speed, just small understeer and still amazing traction-that is 991. Gap will be bigger in case 997.2>991 then in 993>996 case.

Smiley Only in some strange parallel universe, where inversion of reality rules, would better high speed stability and less front end lightness be considered regressive developments. 

Luckily for the woe-is-me / the-sky-is-falling crowd, there is hope (and an opportunity for an enterprising tuner...) With all the electronically controlled systems in the 991, all that's needed is some retuning/remapping. I'm sure the electronic steering control algorithm could be tweaked to bring back that unique front end feeling of floatiness and disconnectedness at high speed Smiley 21.  And steering, PASM, and electronic LSD retuning would easily bring back any amount of instability that's desired. Now that I think about it, they should add a big knob on the dash (similar to the old aftermarket turbo boost knobs), with markings for "901", "911", "996", "997", "991", so the driver can dial in the particular dynamics of these models at will. Manettino anyone?

I don't want a mid-engined car, there are tons of those, I want a rear-F6-engined 911 with its special dinamic character, and maybe I'm naive but I'm confident Porsche engineers will bring us a 911 just as 911'ish to drive as a 996 or 997, but again one step higher in handling, stability, safety, braking, etc. Its always been like this. We now praise the 997 as the 911, but before it came out we were saying the same thing as we drove our 996's, "its heavier", "its got variable rate steering", "its got electronic suspensions"...... "it not a 911 anymore". And now we all love the 997 and regard it a a perfect 911. Same thing when the 996 came out replacing the 993, actually even more so.

--

Gnil:

Best description I ever heard! SmileySmileySmiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

I don't want a mid-engined car, there are tons of those, I want a rear-F6-engined 911 with its special dinamic character, and maybe I'm naive but I'm confident Porsche engineers will bring us a 911 just as 911'ish to drive as a 996 or 997, but again one step higher in handling, stability, safety, braking, etc. Its always been like this. We now praise the 997 as the 911, but before it came out we were saying the same thing as we drove our 996's, "its heavier", "its got variable rate steering", "its got electronic suspensions"...... "it not a 911 anymore". And now we all love the 997 and regard it a a perfect 911. Same thing when the 996 came out replacing the 993, actually even more so.

+1 and we will love the 991 turbo -> 0-100 km/h in 2.9 seconds :) :) :)

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

My 997 4S was much more planted , did not have a such a light front at higher speeds then my 997.2 S.

The 4S was a '' safer and more stable car '' , but I sold it to a 2S with a lighter front, and have absolutely no regret, actually I enjoy it so much more !

The 991 will be better . I just hope that the characteristics of the 911 will not be ironed out too much. And if so, that the steering feel + the feel we get under our buts , are preserved, or at least give us as much pleasure then now.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

MY God, you guys live in the past. You all are probably the same owners who insist on manual transmissions. Smiley

Bottom lined of any sport car is performance. Anything that deflects from performance is bad. The squirrelly backend and floating high speed front end all serve to impede its performance.  A twitchy car is not what I call fun.Smiley

If you all enjoy the old 911's, you're not interest in performance.Smiley

--

nberry:

MY God, you guys live in the past. You all are probably the same owners who insist on manual transmissions. Smiley

Bottom lined of any sport car is performance. Anything that deflects from performance is bad. The squirrelly backend and floating high speed front end all serve to impede its performance.  A twitchy car is not what I call fun.Smiley

If you ask me the discussion is the same as when the 964 was replaced by 993, 993 by 996, 996 by 997... People are always a bit concerned about what might happen... In the past most (existing!) 911 customers were always happy with the new model generation.

My bet: no need to worry Smiley

Gnil:

My 997 4S was much more planted , did not have a such a light front at higher speeds then my 997.2 S.

The 4S was a '' safer and more stable car '' , but I sold it to a 2S with a lighter front, and have absolutely no regret, actually I enjoy it so much more !

Exactly the same for me. I enjoy my current S so much more than my previous 4S. 

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

996 was probably better than the 993 but I would not list the 996 on Porsche's "best cars list".

And it's not at all ONLY about performance. Not at this level for sure. A sport car purchase is above everything an EMOTIONAL decision. And it's a mix of factors. For some of us is the thrill of advanced tech or performance, for other people is about brand & "to be seen in" factor, some are buying only cars they find beautiful and finally, there are some that like the way the car DRIVES and the emotions they have while DRIVING. That's quite different from CRUISING Smiley

The fears the last group have, same as I have, is that the changes in the new 991 will make the car too soft/numb to drive. Simple like that.

--

There is no try. Just do.

nberry:

Who says it deflects from performance nick, we are not discussing performance at all, pretty much everybody agrees that the 991 will be a better performer in all aspects, what we are discussing is "handling character", we want the rear-engined handling experience of the 911, its the only car in the market that offers it and generations of buyers love, we don't want that dialed out for any compromise in design (compatibility with hybrid, safety regulations, interior space, etc). That has nothing to do with performance, the 911 being rear engine has absolutely nothing to envy a mid-engined or front-engined car in terms of performance, just look at what a GT3RS or GT2RS can achieve, it will spank pretty much anything that is out there on the track without being "numb" like a GT-R. Gnil's coments of the rear-end were not negative as in detracting from performance, they were positive ones as in adding fun and joy.

Gnil gave an example that I also experienced myself, the comparison between the RWD and AWD versions of the 911, my 996 was AWD, it felt more "planted" in certain situations, but OTOH it has less steering feedback (because the front axle shared part of the torque) and had more undesteer and the rear was less alive, so my 997 is now RWD and its more fun to drive yet I'm not any slower in it than in my ex-AWD in fun-driving (the advantage maybe when at the limit in bad weather conditions but thats not conditions for fun driving), so were is the performance loss?

In an area of stoplight to stoplight racing I understand that this is irrelevant, but the world is much bigger Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775848 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440972 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262364 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260553 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84965 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880014 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814956 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM