Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New 997 Turbo S and Turbo S Cabriolet (2010)

More great pics - thanks Don..

BTW - how are you finding the Turbo S drives?  Any observations would be appreciated..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

How true MKSGR!
    One more, Bamboo!!
    Don

Bamboo.jpg

--
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. Henry David Thoreau

As I said before: so much impressive! It's just spectacular. Thx for these wonderful pics. !!
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Hi John,
    I thought about how to answer your question about driving impressions.  I think it might help to put my comments into some kind of perspective for me to begin by saying my previous (recent anyway) Porsches were a 2006 911 C4 Cab w/Tip, a 2008 Boxster w/Tip, a 2009 911 w/PDK (sensing a pattern?), and the 2011 911 turbo S.  Also, I've not been on a track since my go-cart racing days & nights.  I'm soon to be 66 years old and I'm not as quick (driving or otherwise) as I once was or like to think I was.  I have a speeding ticket from the 2006 C4 and would like very much not to get another.  I also believe in breaking a new engine in properly with a mix of treating it nice in the beginning and adding in the "I'm a crazy monster driver" as the miles add on. All that boring stuff having been said, PDK is very nice especially if you really don't want to work a clutch, won't miss it, and even better if you had a Porsche with Tip.  If this 2011 911 handles any better than previous 911s I can not really feel it or tell which IS to say it handles GREAT!  I don't sense the brake vectoring but that's probably just me and that I haven't taken this vehicle anywhere near its limits.  Always impressed by Porsche brakes, these ceramic brakes are MUCH better even!  Hard to believe but they stop you like the Hand of God.  Oh, and NO nasty, black, thick, yucky-to-clean, German brake dust!  Haven't tried "the wart" yet and may never use it BUT those Sport and Sport Plus buttons are much fun to play around with.  Back to God, not really sure if I have floored the GO pedal yet (I'm fairly sure I have), but when you do press down on the gas, the Hand of God SHOVES this thing like crazy!  I really do mean crazy!!  The rear end squats and seems to want to fishtail or just become airborne from all the power while the car RUSHES forward like a rocket!  It's both exhilarating and intoxicating!  Mine likes to pass ALL the cars in front of it on a wonderful twisty mountain road that also has two long straightaways for such antics.  Last thing I noticed (and happily so) was I always thought the 911 turbos looked esthetically not pleasing to me; too busy with all those cut-outs and scoops, not a "clean" machine like a regular 911.  Guess what?  Now I like that clutter or at least it is no longer displeasing.  It's a badge now I guess.  Anyway, THE most exciting Porsche I've ever driven.  No mechanical problems since I got it back in November 2010 and NO oil use.  If you or anyone has any specific questions I'd be glad to try to answer them.
    Don
    p.s. Have not tried Launch Control but plan to fairly soon with 1,400 miles on the odometer.  Just have to figure out a road with no police and little traffic.

--
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. Henry David Thoreau

Don, you have launch control? Where is it?

--

Hi nberry,
    I'm pretty sure all 911 turbo S's come with Launch Control.
    Here's what the manual says to do to engage it:
    "With a warm engine ......
    Press (engage) Sport Plus Mode.
    Press the brake with your left foot.
    Quickly press the accelerator down fully and hold it.  Engine speed will level off around 5,000 rpm.
    "Launch Control active" appears in the steering wheel display.
    Release the brake within a few seconds."
    Hold on for dear life (my words).

--

nberry:

Don, you have launch control? Where is it?

Nick, you have Sport Chrono in your Turbo, right? Just do the following: choose either "D", push the "Sport Plus" button, left foot on the brake, right foot floor the accelerator, LC will be initiated ("Launch control" lights up), revs go up to 5.000 1/min, turbo pressure up to 0.5 bar, now open brakes quickly and off you go. Smiley

EDIT: Don was first... Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Hey Guys,

Launch control is amazing, I've launched my 997.2 TT about 40 times or so now.....and each time its so consistant..... i've launched against a modded GTR a few times in one day, and every time I'm up ahead of him..... this is all due to the consistancy of the launch in the Porsche.  We were neck and neck once, i was 2 car lengths the 2nd time, and the 3rd time I was a car length ahead..... We left the tarmac that day, with him only being able to drive 50kms/h back home as he had done something to his car, while I was driving like nothing happened..... Porsche has got it very very very right with their Launch control system and reliatbility!  I have these on video smewhere..... lol

Mo

Could not agree more , I rented a 997.2 one day ( I feel a shame not having a single pic of it ) And believe it or not the launch control strained my neck , I had the pain throughout the whole week . I wasn't expecting that launch from a 500 hp car.

I was aware of the manual instructions regarding launching the car. I thought you were referring to a separate LC button as in a Ferrari . Thank you for the clearing it up for me. 

Stefan, I do have Sport Chrono. it took me a month to final see  there is a display on the steering wheel. In my defense, I really don't drive the car that often and the display isn't very visible.Smiley

--

i am finding the turbo S  quite Porsche!!!  I didnt expect to like the looks or the weight but i like the car alot.  the race buckets are really nice fit and the carbon backs are cool.

the top works great and i use the windscreen up and down depending on temperature.  for malibu weather, the cab is perfect.

car is as fast as you need and the pccb quite amazing, as are the pdk shifts.

i am look forward to a couple 2000 miles road trips into the west in May and July in this rig.

it is irritating that porsche did not provide a breaker bar and jack, and i had to buy them.  i know from experience i am sure to have flats on the dirt in Wyoming or Idaho this summer.

watt, I like your sig photo; Porsche emblem on the Grateful Dead Steal Your Face skull!
    :)
    Don

Grateful Dead Coasters.jpg

--

it shows up better on rennlist, and i cant remember the member that gave me permission to use it but thanks!!!

watt, you can enlarge it, that would maybe make it look better.

Dead Mouse Pad and 357 Magnum 1.jpg

--

Why would you mess with your tire? Call road service. Let them inflate.Smiley 

--

dasein,

are you having any trouble keeping your grey cabrio top clean?   my dealer didnt ant me to roder one, except black but he might have just been talking his book

i just did 3000 miles up to Canada and back the car just roxxxxxx.  unbeleiveably fast hen needed

Hi Watt,
    No, not really but it is garaged and only driven on sunny days to be honest.
    The grey top, unlike a black top I had on another 911, will show small creases where it folds, when first put "up".
    I'd say get the color top you think looks best but black is probably more serviceable.  My 911 was already at the dealer so I didn't have a color choice unless I wanted to place an order.
    That said, the grey top goes very well with the GT Silver Metallic.
    Don

--

Thanks Don, If I ever order a new one I'll go with the grey as I like the monochromatic look with silver paint. My cab is platinum silver which I like I re-read your description of the S's power, you are quite right it's massively fast, but I find it entirely directionally stable I did a lot of rain driving on this trip and the car is secure driving perhaps 15 percent faster than a C2 This is the best all around road car ever, my only trade off is the anatomically back saving racing seats don't allow a Labrador to move into the back.... But maybe it didn't matter any more because I use the back windscreen which allows top down comfort to 110 Best watt

Hi All,
    Just a quick update.  My turbo S has almost 2,000 miles and hasn't used any oil which is kind of weird but good.  During the break-in period you expect some oil use but I'm NOT complaining.
    Also, and this is subjective, around 1,900 miles the entire car seemed to "loosen up" in a good way. Before 1,900 miles everything seemed/felt very tight.  I guess I'm talking about the engine, tranny, suspension, and even the exhaust sound.  They all seem looser and all working together now if that makes any sense.  It's just a feeling but it almost seems like a different (even better) car now.  Perhaps if I'd driven it harder (it wasn't babied during its first 1,900 miles) it would have loosened up sooner but I'm very pleased with it so far.
    Thanks,
    Don
    p.s. In case you haven't heard, some 2010 and 2011 911 turbo, turbo S, Porsche 911 GT2 RS, Porsche 911 GT3, Porsche 911 GT3 RS have been recalled as the center locking hub can wear prematurely.
    http://www.insideline.com/porsche/911/2010/2010-11-porsche-911-recalled-because-wheels-can-loosen.html

--

Don I have 4500 miles no oil usage, no issues, car is truly the best all round runner I can think of.

I have been reviewing 458 and McClaren for purchase but just not as all around useful to me. Is anything really faster in road use anyway?

I don't know whether my car has loosened up as you describe as I'm just around town until I run to Jackson Hole next month, but it runs perfectly with no issues, in great contrast to my last 997 GT3

thanks for the recall info, I haven't received the notice Glad you are loving your car!!!

I am just reaching temperatures too hot in Greater LA for top down, so it's time to split for Jackson:)

Have a safe and fun trip watt.  It's pretty warm here in the mountains too!
    I should have provided more info about the recall, here it is:
    "The affected vehicles were equipped with the center-locking hub and wheel assembly. Over time, the hub can prematurely wear down, which could cause the wheel to loosen. The affected vehicles were manufactured from May 18, 2009 through September 17, 2010.
    The following 2010 and 2011 vehicles are included in the Porsche recall:
    Porsche 911 GT2 RS
    Porsche 911 GT3
    Porsche 911 GT3 RS
    Porsche 911 Turbo
    Porsche 911 Turbo S
    Porsche dealers will replace the central locking hubs and wheels for free. There is no schedule yet for owner notification. Owners of affected vehicles can call Porsche at 1-800-767-7243. For more information owners can call the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236 or visit safercar.gov."
    http://news.consumerreports.org/safety/2011/06/recall-certain-2010-and-2011-porsche-911-high-performance-vehicles.html

--

Hello Watt.  We just returned from Jackson Hole last week, and enjoyed ourselves tremendously.  We stayed at Jenny Lake Lodge, Four Seasons, then Amangani.  JL is scenic, small and restful, Four Seasons has wonderful service and spa, Amangani has the best valley view, pool, food and serenity.  If you want other tips, send me a private message.

Crowds were starting to arrive, so get out early or late in afternoons.  Saw several turbo cabs around town--couldn't tell from a distance if they were S versions.

Enjoy the trip!

Wonderbar,

Thanks but I work there in private wealth!  I have a place in TPCC [Teton Pines], and Sundance, UT.  we'll vacation too.  we just got back from a five start first class Swiss air  trip like yours  to Ascona, Venice and Zurich:  Baur au Lac, Palace San Clemente, Eden Roc.  Isnt America a steal?  So much cheaper....:)  The mountains of Valle Maggiore were very appealing to us as a place to live....  so compact and easy compared to WY and UT.  Such serious hiking is quite attractive also.  Ascona really appealed to my wife.   We're gonna compare it to the South Island of NZ

Don,

thanks for the detail, looks like older cars on the recall.... 

The recall date range for the center locking hubs is May 18, 2009 through September 17, 2010.  My turbo S has a build date of 9/30/10 or 13 days after the recall period ended.  I sure hope they fixed the problem on my and subsequent vehicles.  Can't help but wonder what their "fix" involved.  Anyone here know?

--

Dasein:

The recall date range for the center locking hubs is May 18, 2009 through September 17, 2010.  My turbo S has a build date of 9/30/10 or 13 days after the recall period ended.  I sure hope they fixed the problem on my and subsequent vehicles.  Can't help but wonder what their "fix" involved.  Anyone here know?

I think they just exchange the center caps with a new version stating the correct NM figure for properly locking the system. Not 100% sure, though.

For later production cars (October etc.) they just sent out an updated section of the user manual, explaning the correct use of the center lock Smiley

i know the car is not new but this vid is just amazin in hd 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690401 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409703 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255934 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235187 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65639 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858362 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774618 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM