Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2011 British F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone

A little early, but just getting this thread going ....

The big news for Silverstone is obviously the beginning of the ban on off-throttle blown exhaust diffusers and how much impact this will have.

Here's an interesting article I came across today.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/06/what-difference-will-off-throttle-diffuser-ban-make/

The other news is about the new pit lane and paddock area at Silverstone. After a long time, Silverstone will actually have facilities comparable to those elsewhere ... hopefully.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Re: 2011 British F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone

Cool news - thanks for sharing . I am invited this year and have never been at Silverstone - cannot wait for the 9th

Can't wait for the race this weekend

I just hope it isn't another RBR dominated event but, at the moment, it's hard to see how this will not be the case ...

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Easy RT 1.jpgEasy RT 2a.jpgEasy RT 3.jpgEasy RT 4a.jpgEasy RT 5.jpg

More thoughts from Andrew Benson on whether LH may head for RBR

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2011/07/lewis_hamiltons_frustration_wi.html

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Easy RT 1.jpgEasy RT 2a.jpgEasy RT 3.jpgEasy RT 4a.jpgEasy RT 5.jpg

Well, the good news is that the weather forecast is bad ... it could be wet on Sat and/or Sun which means that qualification and the race might just be unpredictable.

Hopefully not another Vettel procession ....

Makes you wonder about Ecclestone's idea to have sprinklers on the track - of course, they shouldn't do it - but wet tracks certainly do mix up the outcome better than anything else ...

--

RT Moderator 

A wet Silverstone race will be very exciting indeed! Looking forward to the race.

Is it just me or are the common quali standings way too predictable across the board? 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Button is hoping for rain ...

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7022403/Button-hoping-for-rain

--

RT Moderator 

The off-throttle blown exhaust ban will affect some teams for the rest of the season ...

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7021712/Renault-An-interesting-weekend

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7022332/Newey-We-ll-be-hurt-by-engine-ruling

--

RT Moderator 

Fascinating ... Horner rules out Hamilton from joining Red Bull ...

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/7021979/Horner-Hamilton-Not-A-Good-Fit

He doesn't want two drivers of the same calibre in the same team since it wouldn't work.

If I were Mark Webber, I would love to hear that .... not. Christian Horner has just confirmed that Mark Webber is indeed the no 2 driver at  RBR ... something that CH flatly denied last year.

I really dislike CH and don't trust a word he says.

--

RT Moderator 

Meanwhile Hamilton says he "couldn't give a toss" what people like Niki Lauda think.

For those unaware of the meaning of this word, "toss" means masturbate.

His arrogance is just unbelievable.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/7023051/Hamilton-Really-Couldn-t-Give-A-Toss-

--

RT Moderator 

I can't believe a former world champion would speak this way about another former world champion.

--

RT Moderator 

just checked weather - supposingly 20-21 C partly cloudy.....

easy_rider911:

Meanwhile Hamilton says he "couldn't give a toss" what people like Niki Lauda think.

For those unaware of the meaning of this word, "toss" means masturbate.

His arrogance is just unbelievable.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/7023051/Hamilton-Really-Couldn-t-Give-A-Toss-

If you look at the headline of that article in isolation it does look rather arrogant, but if you read the whole article with an open mind you realise that the attitude that Hamilton adopts is the right one for a one-time world champion who has ambitions to repeat that achievement. 
    F1 is hardly an environment for shrinking violets. 

His choice of words relating to Lauda in particular might not be diplomatic, but then Lauda himself has a long history of expressing irrationally exaggerated opinions in undiplomatic terms, so he should be able to take it without flinching. I say that as a Lauda fan who admires what he has achieved in various fields including F1,  but I put the views he expresses through a filter before taking them seriously. Which Hamilton obviously also does. He just said it in different words. 

Hamilton just gave the journalist what he wanted:  Something that his editor would actually want to print. It's show business. Smiley

--

fritz

I don't disagree with LH's message - that he doesn't mind what others might think - but what appals me is the way he communicated it.

True, Lauda is well known for making outlandish comments to the media - he is a well-known provocateur (as you are already aware) - but that doesn't justify LH's manner of speaking IMO. To use a tired platitude, two 'wrongs don't make a right'.

Also, there is a question of mutual respect - world champions want respect for their achievements - and, in this world, rightly or wrongly, you have to give respect to get it.

Also, there is a cultural dimension. Some societies are more blunt and more direct than others. I am not judging those differences. Just saying that, we're British - and we happen to have our own cultural norms for what constitutes an appropriate way of speaking politely with, or about, other people. Maybe I'm old-fashioned (or just getting older Smiley) but I believe in practising those manners and politeness. Putting it bluntly, I just thought LH was plain rude and no amount of pressure or media frustration justified his rude manner.

Incidentally, I read a very interesting interview with Nico Rosberg a couple of days ago. He said that the perceptions that other people may have of him can (and do) matter ... he (IMO rightly) says that they can determine whether a driver is offered a race seat or not. What a coincidence that Christian Horner today ruled out LH joining RBR. Being someone who is easy to work with and/or being known for being sensible does matter and having a 'big mouth' doesn't help create the right perception in other people's minds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sarahholt/2011/07/rosberg_tires_of_waiting_for_a.html

Rosberg is clearly very adept at diplomacy whereas Hamilton doesn't seem to know how to handle the media. it is an essential skill for a F1 driver and IMO also shows that a person is mature.

I think Hamilton should steer clear of giving people a headline .. he has enough on his plate at his home grand prix ... he has been making headlines for all the wrong reasons in recent weeks and months ... IMO he should do his 'talking' on the track ... again, Rosberg did this very expertly in 2010 by outshining Schumi all season.

I think LH has gone off the rails - in some ways - since splitting from his father as manager. IMvHO he needs someone who can guide him to become a better man. Life isn't about just being successful at what one does ... IMO living life is also about how one does it Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

BjoernB:

just checked weather - supposingly 20-21 C partly cloudy.....

Yup, the weather forecast I saw this morning on TV for the next few days is that it will remain wet at times during Thu, Fri and Sat but that Sun could be dry and partly sunny. But there's still some days to go so the forcecast should be taken with a big pinch of salt Smiley

--

RT Moderator 

Lauda deserved that comemnt and more, if he wants respect he should start by being respectful about others himself, but I guess just because you were good inside the track in his day, it doesn't make you a good commentator and comunicator...
    --

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VETTEL

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

easy_rider911:

I think LH has gone off the rails - in some ways - since splitting from his father as manager. IMvHO he needs someone who can guide him to become a better man. Life isn't about just being successful at what one does ... IMO living life is also about how one does it Smiley

Sir Stirling Moss agrees with me Smiley

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7027787/Moss-Lewis-needs-some-fatherly-advice

--

RT Moderator 

Live text commentary on Friday Practice

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9532348.stm

http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/370

--

RT Moderator 

On further investment and development at Silverstone ....

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7025182/-Silverstone-still-needs-more-investment-

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92907

--

RT Moderator 

BBC's Andrew Benson on how to beat Vettel ... easier said than done though .....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2011/07/how_do_you_beat_vettel.html

--

RT Moderator 

Practice lap times

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9418153.stm

--

RT Moderator 

P1 and P2 were mega boring.

Hope the weather is better tomorrow..

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Force India took 6th and 7th for practice two. I would not read too much into that!

I really hope for a little fight at the front in this race, I'm getting bored with Vettel just starting at the top and cruising through the laps.

The weather forecast is mixed tomorrow but Sunday looks good .... unfortunately. 

--

RT Moderator 

Not enough rain to really mix it up ... RBR is still on the front row ...

Qualification lap times

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9418155.stm 

--

RT Moderator 

This off-throttle blown exhaust diffuser issue is becoming a joke ...

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14092523.stm

The rules weren't tight enough to outlaw it to start with .... using the throttle not to propel the car through a corner but purely to generate exhaust gases to create in-corner downforce was legal .... the FIA wanted to reduce RBR's advantage ... so they outlaw it in mid-season which itself is unusual ... and now there is confusion in how the ban is being implemented ... some teams are suffering less through the manner of implementation of this new rule .... and teams that didn't create or develop this technology are laughing at how the leaders are being brought back to their standard ....

It should have just been outlawed at the end of the season ...

I don't like RBR, Horner or Vettel for various reasons but I would be the first to say that they have done a much better job than the other teams and drivers so their dominance is totally deserved.

One can't keep changing the rules just because one team is so much better than the others ... this is competition where the best win ... not some egalitiarian place where everyone is brought down to the same level ...

--

RT Moderator 

What a mess. Formula 1 and their constant rule juggling and rejigger is such a nightmare. And then Bernie wonders why a handful of manufacturers wanted to break off and start their own series.

Great, there's a chance of some rain during the race .... 

--

RT Moderator 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688998 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408922 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255623 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234882 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857746 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773706 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM