Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Cayman R - now official

Imagine if the R looked like this!

1099201304_43MmJ-M.jpg

From BGB Motorsports- Renlist

Nice in Midnight Blue, with Contintal Slicks (?!) with those perfect dumps sticking out , at the right angle.........That's a sweet setup !

Revvv

I think Porsche might be a bit stung by the underwhelming and lacklustre response to the Cayman R

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/254307/

--

Gen II Cayman S

They should feel stung for not having released it last year when the Spyder came out as a simple trim-line addition with no fanfare. They painted themselves into the corner by letting their marketing department make the release all hush hush and making a big deal out of a lacklustre parts-bin exercise.

Want to not have felt stung? Then they should have taken the opportunity to make a real statement: Coilovers, adjustable anti-roll bars, bigger brakes, full titanium exhaust, single-mass flywheel, carbon fiber bits. THAT would be worthy of an R designation.

But instead they chose a marketing exercise, and to go the route of margin expansion instead of engineering excellence.

You can easily fool the gold-chain, poseur crowd with the Speedster and Sport Classic, but the serious driving crowd and trackers see through the profit-extraction exercise in an instant

Let's see if they drop the ball on the forthcoming GT3RS Limited-Edition?

Porsche would serve themselves well by putting together an enthusiasts feedback panel, and then listening to them.

I'm not in the least bit sorry that I didn't wait for the Cayman R. £5k more for less (apart from bigger wheels, a harder ride, a chipped engine and a horrible boy - racer rear wing that looks like it was bought at the local go-faster shop by a teenager) it doesn't appeal at all. Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (19 November 10 delivered!!!) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

dreamcar:

I'm not in the least bit sorry that I didn't wait for the Cayman R. £5k more for less (apart from bigger wheels, a harder ride, a chipped engine and a horrible boy - racer rear wing that looks like it was bought at the local go-faster shop by a teenager) it doesn't appeal at all. Smiley

And bearing in mind that you would have added the optional A/C and PCM, the price differential would have been greater and any weight advantage practically negated.

--

"Form follows function"

dreamcar:

I'm not in the least bit sorry that I didn't wait for the Cayman R.

Me too and I had been looking foward to it for years. 

--

Gen II Cayman S

savvy:

Want to not have felt stung? Then they should have taken the opportunity to make a real statement: Coilovers, adjustable anti-roll bars, bigger brakes, full titanium exhaust, single-mass flywheel, carbon fiber bits. THAT would be worthy of an R designation.

I agree with you. Smiley

While the Cayman R as it has been presented is clearly a disappointment, I don't believe that a $90-100K USD  "legitimate" Cayman R would have sold with the same enthusiasm as the internet demand would have us believe.  

--

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

I see the R is US$66k base and would probably go up 10g with some options, tax etc.

You can probably get a good pre owned GT3 with warranty for that.  I know what i would do

I think that's a very good point........... if your motivation was track work, especially..............you mean a 997.1 GT-3.; right ?

Revvv    ...................

Groan!

Cayman CS is possible:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/254467/

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think this translates as "We've spent ages building a great handling car and marketing have gone and  pitched it entirely wrong to the great indifference of the watching world.  We hope the new CEO sorts them out!"

--

Gen II Cayman S

GR:

Groan!

Cayman CS is possible:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/254467/

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think this translates as "We've spent ages building a great handling car and marketing have gone and  pitched it entirely wrong to the great indifference of the watching world.  We hope the new CEO sorts them out!"

I'd be more inclined to translate it as:
    "We haven't been allowed to build a Cayman CS in the past, but we now have a new CEO who might have different ideas, so anything is possible".

The decision to call the car a Cayman R will have been endorsed by the top management, so just to blame it all on marketing when they see the market's reaction would be disingenuous. The top management itself should not be made up of total amateurs who do not understand the Porsche brand and its heritage.  

--

fritz

I don't want to spam this site; but I am going to mention that I sold my March allocation "R" ( White/ Black 6 speed), and have one June production "R"

available. I think they might be a bit rarer that I thought; which is a good thing........

Revvv   

Auto car have another review.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Porsche-Cayman-3.4-R-2dr-Coupe/255602/

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

It is interesting to note that the Cayman R is the first to break the power to weight ratio of a 911 (The base Carrera that is)  

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Porsche Cayman S vs Porsche Cayman R...

...thanks to Autocar!

Smiley SmileySmiley

There's a Cayman R in vomit green on display at OPC Canary Wharf right now 

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

The colour reminds me of those 'special' colours available only on BMW M3s ... some of those colours are definitely an acquired taste ...

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

No matter how hard I tried, I just can't seem to 'acquire' the acquired taste.

Whoopsy:

No matter how hard I tried, I just can't seem to 'acquire' the acquired taste.

+1 Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

+2  LOL

--

RT Moderator 

Autocar video: Porsche Cayman R vs BMW 1-series M...

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Porsche Cayman R vs BMW 1-series M Coupe video by Chris Harris...

...thanks to Chris Harris and evo magazine!

Chris-Harris_Twitter-link

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Anybody recognize Ex "Champion" Racing Driver ( Audi R8) , and Friend Andy Wallace with Chris Harris........ they must be mates ........Chris is the best road test guy ever, as well as actual Racer..........they have too much fun!

Revvv     

The Mid vs Rear Engine Debate: Porsche Cayman R vs 911 GT3 - Video

Location, Location. Two of Porsche's finest: one mid-engined, one rear-engined. Which handles better?...

Porsche-Cayman-R-vs-GT3_Car-and-Driver_Link

Smiley SmileySmiley 

good example for a lousy test - specially No 4 - "drive at 50 mph and turn the wheel 90 degrees" as fast as you can......what do you expect on a sharp well balanced sportscar  - these cars don't have the flex of a rental where u can wobble the wheel  around and still drive straight......

also funny that the guys always looks in the wrong camera.....very very bad for such a known magazine like Road & Track - compare this to EVO.....and Chris Harris and all the other blokes.

Here's the article that goes with the video above :  http://www.caranddriver.com/features/11q2/the_mid-_vs._rear-engine_debate_porsche_cayman_r_vs._911_gt3-feature

--

2012 Porsche Cayman R - First Test by MotorTrend...

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Porsche Cayman R vs Lotus Evora S vs BMW 1 Series M Coupe...

Track Trifecta - Comparison Test

Some comparison tests require a considerable amount of planning and creative musing. Others fall out of the sky and come together naturally like colors in a rainbow. Case in point: This test, in which we’ve pitted the new BMW 1 Series M Coupe against two other high-end coupes: the Lotus Evora S and the Porsche Cayman R. A gathering of such finely engineered, 6-piston, track-biased sports cars required nothing more than a superb circuit like Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch and hours of hot-lap research to separate strengths from weaknesses and declare a winner. Even after three days in the saddle, it was tough deciding which car we liked best...

3rd - BMW 1 Series M Coupe

Lap Time: 1 minute, 22.82 seconds

BMW’s M division decided it would do the universe a favor and make the M performance brand a little more affordable. For them to achieve this while preserving the M-car reputation, they would have to save money where they could without sacrificing performance or quality. Thus the 1 Series M Coupe was born from borrowing much of its new hardware from its big brother M3, while receiving a few special parts of its own to complete its high-performance metamorphosis.

The moment we laid eyes on this mechanical incarnation of “Iron Mike” Tyson, we couldn’t help but love how its stocky frame gained a near-ridiculous 1.6 in. of fender-flare width, essentially to span the widened tracks (2.8 in. front, 1.8 in. rear) from the all-aluminum M3 donor suspension and huge 19-in. competition wheels, densely packed in a wheelbase 4 in. shorter than the M3’s. The 1 M’s chassis underwent some tuning, testing and torturing at the Nordschleife, and emerged with amazing lateral grip, snappier transitional response and nearly none of that ugly understeer plaguing lesser 1 Series models. Nonadjustable and honed for performance, the 1 M’s suspension errs on the stiff side, which will have you second-thinking any extended road trip.

The twin-turbo N54B30HP inline-6’s output is identical to that of the Z4 sDrive35is model—335 bhp at 5900 rpm and 332 lb.-ft. of torque at 1500 rpm. The 1 M, however, gets specific piston rings and tuning for a unique character, along with a flywheel that weighs 3.3 lb. less. Through slow, low-rpm corner exits, the 1 M feels positively brutish as its 3.0-liter comes on boost and flings you out of the corner quicker than the Cayman R’s 3.4-liter flat-6 or the Evora’s even larger 3.5-liter supercharged V-6. Credit the turbo’s high-load overboost function operating between 1500 and 4000 rpm for up to 7 seconds, providing an extra 37 lb.-ft. of KERS-like torque—only without the instantaneous delivery. The relative nonlinearity of this engine is as much a character flaw as it is an exhilarating kick in the pants. “You can point the car very easily with the throttle when on boost,” says Associate Engineering Editor Shaun Bailey, “which also makes it a bit of a handful if it hits when you don’t expect it.”

With a 20-mm delta between front and rear tires and the most weight of the trio over the front axle, the 1 M expectedly pushes more than its mid-engine competition, despite near perfect 50/50 weight balance. We also noticed the rather upright seating position, which was a little high for sporting comfort, but one Assistant Road Test Editor Calvin Kim considers “the most beginner friendly because it allows you to see much more of the track.”

Second highest marks were given to the BMW’s 6-speed manual and its improved shift action over the 135i, which has less of the rubber-on-rubber in-gate feel of that car. And last, the powerful M3-spec brakes delivered substantial stopping power with only mild fade as expected, though the long pedal stroke wasn’t.

The M-car finishes 3rd at the end of the day, but consider this: It has the most usable trunk, can easily (and legally) carry two additional passengers and costs more than $30K less than the next car. How much exactly is a second around the track worth to you?

2nd - Lotus Evora S

Lap Time: 1 minute, 21.73 seconds

Lotus reads Road & Track—we’re sure of this. Every little chink we discovered in the armor of Hethel’s engineering during our first run in a production Evora was acknowledged and effectively ameliorated in the new Evora S (and future standard Evoras for that matter). This is what Lotus’ latest middleweight should’ve been from the start.

The Evora S’ crowning improvement is its non-intercooled, Roots-type Harrop supercharger (utilizing Eaton’s TVS technology seen in the Corvette ZR1) that churns out 5.5 psi of boost, significantly enhancing the Toyota V-6 to a test-topping 345 bhp with 295 lb.-ft. of torque. Power delivery is lag-less and linear, plus there’s a new sport button function (that should remain on at all times). It activates a muffler-flow bypass taking the exhaust note from meek to masculine in an instant and enlivening throttle response like a cup of Red Bull-spiked coffee.

Around the track, the Evora S is a delicate, laser-precise weapon; and the quickest by 0.15 sec. even with an intermittent 2nd-gear synchronizer issue (more on this later). It has wonderfully light steering that speaks your language, and a ratio that’s as quick as we’d want it to be. Lotus engineers performed a number of suspension tweaks—an area we actually felt was superb already—increasing lateral bushing stiffness by 10 percent, swapping in new upper front wishbones for more caster (for better on-center feel and straight-line stability), revalving the dampers and adding a half millimeter larger rear anti-roll bar for a bit less understeer. The ride is surprisingly plush on city streets yet well-composed on track. “There’s a lot of roll, but it feels like it’s really utilizing its suspension,” says Bailey. “Despite the sticky Pirellis, the Evora still feels somewhat under-tired.” I concur. Deep trail braking is critical to getting the Evora to rotate around what feels like excessive front-tire scrub. Left-foot braking was a boon throughout Spring Mountain’s technical Radical Loop, so much that we didn’t miss the nonexistent dead pedal. Perhaps the supportive Recaro buckets played a part in this too.

Where delicacy goes, frailty sometimes follows. Although the transmission of the Evora S is an area of vast improvement (thanks to new low-loss motion/low-friction gearshift cables and improved linkage inertia), our 3rd-to-2nd-gear downshifts were hit or miss events, thanks to a balky synchronizer. Even so, the Evora’s lap times still landed it on pole.

1st - Porsche Cayman R

Lap Time: 1 minute, 21.88 seconds

The winner and still the middleweight champion of the automotive sports car world remains Porsche’s Cayman, and the Cayman R is the best iteration yet.

With the least gains squeezed out of their naturally aspirated flat-6—a disappointing 10 bhp to net 330 bhp (via tuning and exhaust modifications) compared with the BMW’s 35-bhp spike and the Lotus’ 69-bhp bump—Porsche had to look elsewhere for performance enhancement. With a leaner, meaner and greener (in color anyway) battle plan, Porsche engineers attacked the Cayman S’ beltline with the ferocity of German piranhas, removing a claimed 121 lb. of relatively needless mass to improve the pound-to-power ratio of the Cayman R.

To begin, 33 lb. were saved by going to aluminum doors. The door trim is minimal, eliminating the stowage compartments and replacing the interior handles with nifty red nylon straps. The fixed-back sport seats, a favorite of the test, shave off an additional 24.4 lb. as other precious ounces are saved through various interior trim adjustments like omitting the hood over the instrument cluster.

Opting for the no-cost air conditioner delete option, as our test car had, is a cheap way to save 33 lb. (compared to the optional $1700 lithium battery at a 22-lb. savings), although we don’t recommend this for warmer climates like the Nevada desert.

Aside from undercutting the Lotus and the BMW in mass by 190 lb. and a whopping 380 lb. respectively, the Cayman R’s real talent resides in its unflappable track dynamics and tailor-made driver interface. The 20-mm lower suspension gains stiffer springs, anti-roll bars and dampers (PASM isn’t available), complemented by a slightly wider track (4 mm front, 2 mm rear) and larger 19-in. wheels, weighing in at a trim 22 lb. per corner.

This is a car that epitomizes the advantages of the mid-engine layout—almost without the prerequisite of driving skill—as it translates even ham-fisted steering inputs into the graceful kinematics you originally intended. “You can basically drive the Cayman hard everywhere,” exclaims Bailey. The 6-speed manual gearbox is as good as they get, blending positive engagement with creamy fluidity.

The biggest ticket items on the parts list were the $8150 carbon-ceramic brakes—money well spent. Though they don’t quite have the initial bite or as firm a pedal as the Evora’s AP racing setup, they seem to have the highest stopping power and are fadeless lap after lap.

Although I agree with Kim’s comment about the rear wing being “a bit on the weenie side,” it does reduce lift by 40 percent over the rear axle. And yes, although the Porsche fails to match the Evora S’ overall performance scores and lap times, the Cayman R still surprisingly ends up on top—having approached the battle with the best balanced repertoire of the three.

So which one?

Conclusion

We assign numerical values to these tests because people demand a winner. The Porsche earns a landslide victory here, even when factoring in the price. In this test, though, it’s clear that each car has particular advantages, so it all boils down to this: BMW’s bang for the buck, Porsche’s complete package or Lotus’ dominating performance? Which is most important to you?

Porsche-Cayman-R_Road-and-Track_Article-link

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761072 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434594 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260116 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257255 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80810 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871485 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806714 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM