Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The new M5 - Official Specs

pjd:

I think we are mixing "traditions" with "costumer demands"...

Ferrari FF comes with AWD because it`s pointed to a different kind of driver, then for e.g. a 458 driver... 

The driver of a FF will go on weekends with the family to snow camps... A 458 driver will go alone to a track or mountain road on dry conditions (or the more dry possible).... and why? Because a 458 driver want a more "pure" drive....

That`s why we have Carrera S and Carrera 4S.... to satisfy the "two worlds"....

Now what about a saloon with almost 2000kg and more then 500 bhp and in wet conditions? Well maybe AWD is the solution....

However this saloon it`s a M car.... un M5.... and this means a lot.... Driving a BMW it`s very different compared with a Mercedes or Audi.... Driving un M it`s even more special.... the RWD (along with brilliant chassis) it`s what make un M... 

Dont´t get me wrong but a M5 is not a sports car. M5 hasn´t a brilliant chassis. You have a lot of roll.

If I need a sports car I´ll buy one - if I need a family car then this will be hard a sports car. It is like skis - off-piste and on-piste. Carving or Freeriding. You will not find a ski who can do everything perfect. You have to decide.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

ALDO:
    pjd:

I think we are mixing "traditions" with "costumer demands"...

Ferrari FF comes with AWD because it`s pointed to a different kind of driver, then for e.g. a 458 driver... 

The driver of a FF will go on weekends with the family to snow camps... A 458 driver will go alone to a track or mountain road on dry conditions (or the more dry possible).... and why? Because a 458 driver want a more "pure" drive....

That`s why we have Carrera S and Carrera 4S.... to satisfy the "two worlds"....

Now what about a saloon with almost 2000kg and more then 500 bhp and in wet conditions? Well maybe AWD is the solution....

However this saloon it`s a M car.... un M5.... and this means a lot.... Driving a BMW it`s very different compared with a Mercedes or Audi.... Driving un M it`s even more special.... the RWD (along with brilliant chassis) it`s what make un M... 

Dont´t get me wrong but a M5 is not a sports car. M5 hasn´t a brilliant chassis. You have a lot of roll.

If I need a sports car I´ll buy one - if I need a family car then this will be hard a sports car. It is like skis - off-piste and on-piste. Carving or Freeriding. You will not find a ski who can do everything perfect. You have to decide.

Smiley M5 it`s not a sports car?... so nowdays sports cars are only 911 GT3, Scuderias, 458`s, MP4-12C`s.... ?

It is a sports car, with saloon configuration.... you can not compare it with a 911 GT3 (or similar), but M cars is all about RWD and chassis.... 

I found funny people who still say the E60 M5 was not fun at all, and these high powered sedan should come with AWD.

Try to swith off the ESP on the M5 and drive it with no eletronics limiting your action and believe me, you´ll have tons of fun with it. I´ve driven the E60 M5 in those situations and was blown away by general car balance, so smooth while loosing /gaining traction, so predictable, with lots of feedback from the suspension and tires just perfect, it really is an AMAZING car, so I can only imagine the new one to be even better. Having the M5 with AWD will be like having a 911 with front engine, it doesn´t make sence, I know the market is demading AWD in some countries, but I would never buy an AWD car apart from SUV´s.

J.Seven

KresoF1:

Just-how much sense does it make to own Porsche brand cars only? Hmm... Not much IMHO.

Porsche, there is no substitute.Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe #13;  2011 Panamera 4

J.Seven:

I found funny people who still say the E60 M5 was not fun at all, and these high powered sedan should come with AWD.

Try to swith off the ESP on the M5 and drive it with no eletronics limiting your action and believe me, you´ll have tons of fun with it. I´ve driven the E60 M5 in those situations and was blown away by general car balance, so smooth while loosing /gaining traction, so predictable, with lots of feedback from the suspension and tires just perfect, it really is an AMAZING car, so I can only imagine the new one to be even better. Having the M5 with AWD will be like having a 911 with front engine, it doesn´t make sence, I know the market is demading AWD in some countries, but I would never buy an AWD car apart from SUV´s.

J.Seven

Smiley

J.Seven:

J.Seven

Maybe we should distinguish between sports cars and having fun cars.

Sports car - a car for driving on race circuits (or so) for achiving best times in your class.

Drifting and burning tires usually is more fun but it is much slower.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

It's becoming harder and harder to make that distinguish because even serious sports cars like the Carrera and the M3 are becoming more like GT's.

palenimbus:

It's becoming harder and harder to make that distinguish because even serious sports cars like the Carrera and the M3 are becoming more like GT's.

4 or 5 years ago I have posted my impressions from Hockenheimring with my Carrera 997 4S X51 -20mm. I have posted, that in my opinion the actual Carrera isn´t anymore a real sportscar. Bridgestone tires, brake and clutch over the same cylinder, suspension, ...

The tires are only good for one round, the first. The car gets weak after 10 rounds, few rounds more and the clutch didn´t work anymore, because the break got hot, the liquid in the cylinders, too and the the clutch system didn´t work. The presented Porsche engineers suggested a break of 30 min after each 5-6 rounds.

The M3 where even more worse. So a sports car for only 5 round Hockenheim??

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

Life is going on, demands change, products change. Imho, m5 is a brilliant car

artur777:
    Life is going on, demands change, products change. Imho, m5 is a brilliant car

No question - demands and markets are changing - technology is improving - we have to accept this.

M5 is a very brilliant car - for sure if I would buy a new car the M5 would be on the list at the upper positions.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

Can't embed it somehow..

http://youtu.be/zd8fQpLbST0

Will it be comfortable to drive in winter?:)

Winter driving with new M5? OK to some point with winer tires I guess. Just, the same is with some other AWD cars.

For russian winter I would reccomend Cayenne S.

Thanks, Cayenne S is a nice choice, best one!

The M5 is indeed a nice car, price is OK for this kind of power (and I'm pretty sure that there will be very nice lease offers from BMW Financial) but without AWD, this car is a no go for me and many people I know who would be interested. Have you ever driven a heavy high power sedan without AWD during a Bavarian winter ? Trust me, no fun at all.

I suppose BMW M GmbH wanted to keep the weight down and they did but without AWD, this car will loose many potential customers. Those interested in a sports car may not chooce the M5 and those who need more room for the family, may actually opt for the X6 M instead.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Great sound!!!

Loving even more this car 

Not bad at all but I hear the typical Golf GTI sound between the main soundwave like I'm used to hear from my X5M. And that's not a joke but even crappy. A good customer of mine bought a new X5 4.8i and I won't believe it how well it sounded compared to the X5M.
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Conny997:
    Not bad at all but I hear the typical Golf GTI sound between the main soundwave like I'm used to hear from my X5M. And that's not a joke but even crappy. A good customer of mine bought a new X5 4.8i and I won't believe it how well it sounded compared to the X5M.

Yes, the sound of the X5 M is the main (maybe even only) reason I will switch back to the Cayenne Turbo (S) after the lease runs out. The Cayenne Turbo doesn't sound great either but at least it sounds like a V8 and not like a tuned Golf GTi, like you said. Furthermore, the Cayenne Turbo exhaust sound can be enhanced using an aftermarket exhaust. All aftermarket exhausts for the X5 M I heard so far, are crap. They just make the Golf GTi sound louder, hence even more pathetic.

I don't know who does the sound engineering for the engines/exhaust systems at M GmbH but maybe this person needs a tune-up of his ears. Smiley

The lack of AWD on the M5 is also another reason for me, not to go for this car. While RWD may be fun, especially on a powerful car, I doubt that it is much fun on a 5 series sedan. Unless of course the owner wants to have some drifting fun but I'd say that 95% of the future M5 owners just want a powerful sedan as a daily driver. Without AWD, this isn't really the perfect choice, especially in regions with lots of rain and snow.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

The sound of the M5 / X5 M engine is not due to sound engineering but due to the technical layout of the engine. There is no easy way to change this as it is due to the firing order and the different exhaust and torbocharger layout. As Conny pointed out, it is already different on the remaining V8 cars from BMW. Every aftermarket exhaust is located behind the source and can only alter or amplify that given sound.

The Cayenne Turbo sounds magnificcent from the outuside, not sure what one can complain about in that case unless it is too muted inside.

Ferdie:

The sound of the M5 / X5 M engine is not due to sound engineering but due to the technical layout of the engine. There is no easy way to change this as it is due to the firing order and the different exhaust and torbocharger layout. 

I know that but this is actually what bothers me: How could they put such a car on the market ? With a little tweaking here and there, it would have been possible to get a better sound but I'm not sure they even tried. If the "new engine" concept doesn't allow a sport/nice sound, create a different one. BMW M GmbH sucks and they will loose customers because of that.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

In the latest issue of "Sportcars" the BMW M-GmbH CEO acknowledged that there will be NO BMW M5 with AWD in the next years. surprise

--
    Kind regards, Conny 

Great news! ;-)

Avoe:
    Great news! ;-)

Nice that it pleases you..
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Lol, bad news for the rest of the world.

BMW just lost at least a few thousand sales in the world because of the no awd part.

Very wrong decision of BMW if you ask me...

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Whilst I dont think its "good news",  I do think it would have been a mistake for BMW to stray too far off the core mix of what makes an ///M car.

BMW have already introduced forced induction engines which is a bit of a no-no to the ///M faithful and adding in AWD really would push it too far into Audi land if you ask me.  For years the defining factor for ///M cars has been normally aspirated highly tuned RWD cars.  There is only so far you can bend these limits in one single revision!

BMW just lost a potential M5 customer, I was really considering it because of the great value.

On the other hand, the Panamera Turbo S just won, by a tiny small margin, a track comparison vs. the new BMW M5...

Despite the almost 200 kg additional weight, the Panamera Turbo S was faster on the track (Sachsenring).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

At least they are sparing themselves the 4WD ridicule, since they have already suffered the turbo ignominy!

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

RC:

BMW just lost a potential M5 customer, I was really considering it because of the great value.

On the other hand, the Panamera Turbo S just won, by a tiny small margin, a track comparison vs. the new BMW M5...

Despite the almost 200 kg additional weight, the Panamera Turbo S was faster on the track (Sachsenring).

I also don't undstand why they don't include AWD into this car. These heavy cars drive like trucks anyhow (compared to real sportscars). AWD would at least add winter qualities. In particular, as these BMWs are impossible to drive in snowy conditions - traction is absolutely miserable. I would clealy prefer the Panamera. It is ore agile and more useful. Of course, it is also more expensive...

REALZEUS:

At least they are sparing themselves the 4WD ridicule, since they have already suffered the turbo ignominy!

I find it rather ridicule to see the M5 on a race track than adding 4WD to it.  Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM