Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Massive LeMans Crash 1 Hour Into Race - Audi McNish Hits A Ferrari

Completely McNish's fault.

Honestly, the LMP cars have no business trying to dive pass the GT cars going into the turns. They have more than enough horsepower and torque to pass them on the straights with ease and more than enough mechanical grip and aero to pass them on the exit of the turn, both having significantly less risk then an entry or mid-turn pass.

LeMans should look into instituting a rule about this.

:45 second mark. Track worker in the blue vest at the bottom of the screen. He came within a hair of being FLATTENED by the rim and tire combo falling out of the sky. He needs to go to church tomorrow and praise God.

Re: Massive LeMans Crash 1 Hour Into Race - Audi McNish Hits A Ferrari

It's amazing no one was killed. Maybe a foot higher and six photogs would have eaten it.

Now I'm waiting to see the last shot they took before ducking!

--

"We all love the music. What we hope is that the music loves us." -- Tom Waits

That could have been soooo bad. I can't believe the Audi didn't go over that wall!

I think they may want to rethink access to areas behind those barriers.

OMG! I am speechless...
    --

There is no try. Just do.

ja, was just incredible to have such luck. Not even the fotographer get hurt.  this crash show how good the car are made today.

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

wow, that was a real hard impact and i too cannot believe no one was injured the debris...

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Here the text from Eurosport guys.

Awesome pictures and quasi-miracle: no injuries. The No.3 Audi had a big accident before the end of the first hour of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the British driver Allan McNish out unscathed from a very violent accident. The accident caused an intervention by the safety car and neutralization of the race for thirty minutes, the time to clean the track of debris. ON THE SAME TOPIC

The Audi of McNish shot straight after the Dunlop bridge, doubling the Ferrari driven by the French N.58 Anthony Beltoise, and finished his race against the rails, completely destroyed a wheel and many pieces having flown middle of photographers across the rail. "I did not understand, I just felt a bump on the back, "he told Beltoise his return to stand, to repair his Ferrari Luxury Racing.

McNish, double Le Mans winner (1998, 2008), is right out of his car, while Dr Wolfgang Ullrich, head of Audi Sport, applauded with relief by looking at the pictures in the booth of the German mark. He shared this Audi with Tom Kristensen from Denmark, eight times winner at Le Mans, Dindo Capello and Italy, three time winner.

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

second uge crash with rockenfeller and a ferrari. The ferrari seem to burn totally and the driver seem to be save but no news about the Audi and driver

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

Happen right now

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

Two Audis done - both trying to over take GT class Ferraris. Now they're down to one car. SMH

What the hell is going on? I've never seen such a low levels of discipline from Audi drivers.

Heist.

it's not been audi drivers fault. The driver from the ferrari turn in to get in the curve as rockenfeller had already overtake. Don't forget it's night and your are not in the car. Don't be so judgmental Smiley

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

Rockenfeller is ok. Thanks good

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

Woooha, did you guys see the front wheel? It landed almost on the head of that photographer and than almost hit another one. The driver had the safest place in that situation, thats for sure.

Cram:

Heist.

it's not been audi drivers fault. The driver from the ferrari turn in to get in the curve as rockenfeller had already overtake. Don't forget it's night and your are not in the car. Don't be so judgmental Smiley

The Ferrari came down because he though the Audi was going to pass him on the left. (Passing lane = Left) . Many have complained that the Audi's new LED and Hi Beam set-up is too bright. Drivers are flashblinded when the Audis come up behind them, and they cannot estimate how far off they are or even exactly what side of the track they're on.

They were stating before the race that they would have to take dangerous chances to get by the slower cars, looks like those words were prophetic...

Heist, passing lane = left is utter rubish in racing. It may be true that the Audi LEDs are too bright, but it was still the Ferrari who was at fault. Such is racing though, I hope everyone is ok after what seemed another massive crash at high speeds.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Yes, everyone walked away from their wrecks. A testiment to the crash cells. Passing in racing is one thing, however the Audi wasn't racing the car it was passing. The regulating body needs to set some ground rules about overtaking vehicles from another class and vice versa, the slower classes should have rules governing yielding to faster classes. Also it would be no surprise if Audi was banned from using that headlight set-up again. It really became apparent this morning what everyone had been complaining about throughout the weekend. Even in the morning daylight they were so bright that if TV cameras caught them head-on, all you saw was a giant ball of light flaring and bobbing with the undulations in the road. You were just barely able to make out the silhouette of a car body and the top of the spoiler. No other car on the track was that large or intense.

Congrats to Audi, in spite of two crashes which I bet both McNish and Rockenfeller feel they could -- and SHOULD -- have avoided.

"He who would finish first must first finish!"

But then the spectacular finish of the "rookies" in the #2 car ... they deserve major props. Well done!

--

"We all love the music. What we hope is that the music loves us." -- Tom Waits

This is how bright they were during the day. Imagine this coming behind you at dusk or night. Blinding.

I got yesterday the commentary of Anthony Beltoise. The ferrari driver as the crash happen.

He said that:" as he was coming down, he saw one Audi but not the second that was  hide by the first audi, so he turn in to get on the Apex and boum".

I don't think he got blind by the lights, anyway, he didn't mentionned that as a problem.

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

Those lights are very very bright they should either way reduce their intensity.

--

i agree, they are but still i don't think this was the cause. Even in the night crash.

--

GT3, Cooper S & CS

The GT cars are very fast on the straights now and therefore the LMP cars cannot dispose of them in midst of traffic as easily as in the past.

Because of the reduced speed differential, the LMPs need to take more risks and try to pass under braking on the curves in many instances, where they have a significant advantage.

Moreover, with the plethora of drivers of all levels the driving standards vary significantly. If in F1 you get so many irrelevant drivers out of a more uniform and small grid with one driver per car, you can imagine the situation in a LM type race.

Lights IMO play a very small part in safety, if at all.

--

"Form follows function"

I have seen all sorts of footages and my personal conclusion is that the Top cars drove like maniacs....sorry but I could not imagine myself trying to be at the limit in a GT3 car and be overtaken like they were flashing at you constantly and push you away from ideal lines....the gap between the classes is way to big....I mean the first thing on any drivers day is that you group the people according to their speeds and here we have a worldclass events where cars overtake in the middle of two others like shown in a sep video posted here....just so wrong....I have to hand it to all lower classes for mastering these daredevils without being killed yrself.....my symphaties go to the Ferrari drivers

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689596 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409240 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255752 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234998 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858000 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774054 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM