Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2011 Canadian F1 Grand Prix in Montreal

This weekend, it's hard to see anyone challenging the dominance of Red Bull and the nature of the Montreal street circuit should make this even more of a 'Red Bull track'.

I hope, for the sake of the F1 season, that McLaren and Ferrari can catch up at least some of the gap between them and the RBR team.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch this race - I'm due to be on the way to Leipzig at that time - so I'll catch the highlights later - hope you guys enjoy the race Smiley

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Re: 2011 Canadian F1 Grand Prix in Montreal

Looking forward to it. Love the Montreal track and expect this to be a great race, particularly if McClaren can take a win. I think they're very close, not sure Ferrari are there yet.

--

"We all love the music. What we hope is that the music loves us." -- Tom Waits

Enjoy qualification and the race guys ....

I will try to watch highlights using iPhone TV Catchup or the highlights programmes on BBC iPlayer once I get back home on Tuesday ...

This should be an interesting 3 way battle ....

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Easy do what I did for the Monaco race. Avoid all contact with F1 sources and download the race as soon as you can to watch it. then watch all the highlights and read the reviews 

Yeah, I usually do the same - fortunately, in the UK, we can watch the entire qualification, race and post race F1 Forum discussion on BBC iPlayer for 7 days afterwards

--

RT Moderator 

I wish. We get the live coverage once and thats it.

So you just record it on your DVD recorder when you go out

--

RT Moderator 

Because of time differences most races fall in the early hours of sundays, from 2am to 9am, so I'm almost always home for the race. If I'm too tired to get up at 4am to watch the race then I record it or download it the next day. 

Gosh, I hadn't thought about that - having to get up early for every race apart from Brazil, Canada and the US ... that's devotion

--

RT Moderator 

RBR has announced that Webber will remain in 2012.

On one level, it comes as no surprise. He is well set there. If he wants to continue racing and, more importantly, if the team want to keep him, then it's an easy decision for all concerned.

On another level, it's a strange decision. Webber has not performed as well in 2011. RBR may not win the Constructors' Title until near the end of the season because the 2 McLaren drivers have been scoring points very consistently.

If RBR wants that title too in 2012, then maybe they should want to get another driver in place to be Vettel's sidekick. I'm sure RBR will have put a clause in his contract stipulating minimum performance level benchmarks for him to remain and to receive particular levels of remuneration.

The most interesting thing to me though is the psychology underpinning the decision from Webber to stay.

He is a realist. He knows he has been totally outdriven by Vettel in the same machinery. He is a tough Aussie competitor, no doubt about it. But, he is taking the psychological and emotional pain every race of being beaten. Eventually, his hunger to remain must fizzle out and become outweighed by his desire for an easier life.

Personally, I thought 2011 was going to be his last season. It looks like 2012 will be it. He is certainly not old but he is scarred from the rivalry with Vettel (e.g. after colliding in Turkey in 2010). He knows the team love Vettel. His own performances this year (and the team's clear love for Vettel) have relegated him to a number 2 driver (in the manner he so infamously described over the radio after an unlikely win in 2010). How prophetic that radio message has become.

I guess he has calculated that another year means another year's good pay. He has family and other responsibilities. The money will help support him in retirement.

I imagine he will retire Down Under in Australia one day. They love him - as they should since he has been the most successful driver from Australia since Alan Jones.

Re-reading this post, it almost reads like an epitaph to a retiring driver. I guess that's the irony, the fact that we all know he is just filling a seat with no hope of winning the title but he is still not gracefully leaving the stage ... I think by next year he will feel even more of an outsider within his own team. Maybe then the penny will drop and he will realise that it's time to move with his life.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

Gosh, I hadn't thought about that - having to get up early for every race apart from Brazil, Canada and the US ... that's devotion

Yeah its not the easiest thing to do, thats why I miss a few races Smiley. I still get all my insider info from all your very devoted threads so thanks for that Smiley

MONTREAL — If Formula One teams can’t figure out how to race around Circuit Gilles Villeneuve without crashing Sunday’s Canadian Grand Prix could be a very long race.

In the first two free practices on Friday no less than four race cars were involved in wrecks of varying degrees of seriousness along the 4.361 km Ill Notre Dame track.

The one that got the most attention was reigning F-1 champion Sebastian Vettel who lost control of his Red Bull Renault in the final corner of the 14-turn road course during the morning session.

“I hit the kerb, slid off the track and hit the wall. I’m fine,” he said. “By the time I hit the wall I had low speed so the crash was quite mild.

“There wasn’t much damage so we could fix the car and got it back out.”

He said the track was very rough and that might have been the reason for so many crashes.

“It’s quite rough with the kerbs and chicanes,” Vettel said.

The 23-year-old German wasn’t about to use that as an excuse for his wreck or for not thinking he had a good chance to win on Sunday.

“The target is to win,” he said. “But it is a long weekend and a lot of things can happen. It is important to finish and to do your best.”

Vettel said the lost time on the track worried him especially after seeing how fast the Ferraris and McLarens looked in the second free practice.

“McLaren and Ferrari look strong,” he said.

Vettel, however, was able to rebound during the afternoon practice producing the second fastest time of the day at one minute, 15.476 seconds.

Only Fernando Alonso was faster at 1:15.107 in his Ferrari, with teammate Felipe Massa third fastest at 1:15.601.

Defending Canadian GP champion Lewis Hamilton was fourth at 1:15.997 in a McLaren with teammate Jenson Button rounding out the top five at 1:15.989.

Alonso said in spite of his fast time he thinks Vettel and Red Bull should be favoured to win the pole in Saturday’s qualifying rounds.

“We also topped the practice in Monaco and then in qualifying Vettel was one second quicker than us — we know tomorrow is the day to put everything into it and we know Red Bull will be very strong and probably the favourite,” he said.

As for the series of wrecks on Friday Alonso dismissed any fear those incidents would repeat themselves on Sunday during the Grand Prix.

“This is Canada — any little mistake puts you in the wall,” he said.

In other F-1 news Friday, the embattled Bahrain Grand Prix has been removed from the 2011 calendar.

The race had originally been set for March this season but political unrest in the desert kingdom forced series boss Bernie Ecclestone to postpone it.

Then last week Ecclestone said the race would be rescheduled for Oct. 30, a move both drivers and team owners were against.

With the political unrest in Bahrain not likely to be settled any time soon, Ecclestone agreed to take it off the schedule completely.

Unexpected results in the qualifying... the fact that a driver like Massa made the thrird place means the Ferraris must of found a second or so to close the gap, at least on this track.

And considering the Ferraris have a faster race pace than qualifying lap time, the we could have a race.

What was also surprising is that everybody expected the McLaren to be very very strong here, and a great qualifier like Hamilton was only able to make 5th.

The again rain is expected during the race, and cosidering how accident prone this track is, results of the race may end up being rather arbitrary in the end.

1.  Sebastian Vettel      Red Bull-Renault     1m13.014s  
    2.  Fernando Alonso       Ferrari              1m13.199s  + 0.185  
    3.  Felipe Massa          Ferrari              1m13.217s  + 0.203  
    4.  Mark Webber           Red Bull-Renault     1m13.429s  + 0.415  
    5.  Lewis Hamilton        McLaren-Mercedes     1m13.565s  + 0.551  
    6.  Nico Rosberg          Mercedes             1m13.814s  + 0.800  
    7.  Jenson Button         McLaren-Mercedes     1m13.838s  + 0.824  
    8.  Michael Schumacher    Mercedes             1m13.864s  + 0.850  
    9.  Nick Heidfeld         Renault              1m14.062s  + 1.048 
    10.  Vitaly Petrov         Renault              1m14.085s  + 1.071 
    11.  Paul di Resta         Force India-Mercedes 1m14.752s  + 1.321 
    12.  Pastor Maldonado      Williams-Cosworth    1m15.043s  + 1.612 
    13.  Kamui Kobayashi       Sauber-Ferrari       1m15.285s  + 1.854 
    14.  Adrian Sutil          Force India-Mercedes 1m15.287s  + 1.856 
    15.  Sebastien Buemi       Toro Rosso-Ferrari   1m15.334s  + 1.903 
    16.  Rubens Barrichello    Williams-Cosworth    1m15.361s  + 1.930 
    17.  Pedro de la Rosa      Sauber-Ferrari       1m15.587s  + 2.156 
    18.  Jaime Alguersuari     Toro Rosso-Ferrari   1m16.294s  + 2.472 
    19.  Jarno Trulli          Lotus-Renault        1m16.745s  + 2.923 
    20.  Heikki Kovalainen     Lotus-Renault        1m16.786s  + 2.964 
    21.  Tonio Liuzzi          HRT-Cosworth         1m18.424s  + 4.602 
    22.  Timo Glock            Virgin-Cosworth      1m18.537s  + 4.715 
    23.  Narain Karthikeyan    HRT-Cosworth         1m18.574s  + 4.752 
    24.  Jerome D'Ambrosio     Virgin-Cosworth      1m19.414s  + 5.592 

--

GREAT RACE so far... but one question, is Hamilton retarded or just dumb? His actions today on the track were pathetic... what an idiot.. It's not amateur hour again for him is it

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Race suspended for the moment due to rain, in the mean time......I am amazed by the exquisit ferrari team strategy, i even thought they where going to try with slicks, ferrari needs a big internal change as soon as possible. (Briatore)
    --

Atzporsche:

GREAT RACE so far... but one question, is Hamilton retarded or just dumb? His actions today on the track were pathetic... what an idiot.. It's not amateur hour again for him is it

I also thought the same at first, but now I start to think it was 50% fault for both of them...Button does not change of direction, but very slowly starts to close hamilton....either way hamilton cant riskso much with his team-mate Lets see what Kobayashi can do , he has nothing to loose, if I was Vettel I would keep an eye in the first curves...
    --

It's so clear, Button did one move over to defend his position.. It is up to Hamilton to maybe brake for once or move to the right pass.... of course Button defended the inside there after coming out slow... Hamilton needs at least a ten place penalty for next race for this aggression.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Looks like a podium for Schumacher.

Correction: no podium for Schumacher. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Best last lap in a long time!

Very good race indeed.

Happy for Button, he drove a fantastic race.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

HOLY! Best race in a long long long time. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Vettel 1 and Schumi 2. seemed possible for a bit, we could really see that Schumi enjoyed going from 7 to 2 in just a few laps. What a performance. That also goes for Button, who raced like hell in the last stint, despite team mate stupidity and penalties. If it weren't for all the safety cars, it would have been Vettel's for sure... he had a collective 30 second gap alone just counting the pull aways after the SLS went back in! So much happened, and a lot of action. A lot due to the weather.. wet races tend to be.

Great performances (NOT) from Hamilton with his stupidity. Alonso and Massa disappointed as well again I should say. What fun it is to see who really is good in these kinds of races I was a bit sad Heidfeld made an error in the end, but again who didn't make an error at some point today. It took Massa way too long to pass the Sauber, but he did so where it counts.. just before the line.

It goes to show the difference between drivers. Look at Hamiltons dumb early aggression vs. Buttons calm headed drive near the end trailing behind Webber and Schumi not even attempting a move until he was certain he could pass. Spot on

--

Is there something personal between you & Hamilton?!

I highly doubt that the youngest F1 driver to win the title to be what you are describing!

--

That was great, utterly fantastic.  Well done to the commentators also, a stirling job.

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

Best race of the season so far !  it was very intense and greatly entertaining. There was a lot of damage and technical issues though, that was a lot of broken carbon fiber out there today. 

ha:

Is there something personal between you & Hamilton?!

I highly doubt that the youngest F1 driver to win the title to be what you are describing!

I might be missing something here, but Vettel is the youngest F1 driver to win the title; isn't he?

You are right, Vettel is.. My bad!

--

Funny, when Senna and Schumi drive aggressively and pushed their way through the field - sometimes pushing others off the track, crashing or wrecking others and themselves, they were regarded as risk taking, hard driving geniuses who exhibited overtaking passion and spirit.

When Hamilton does it, he's derided as dumb headed and jeered. Or investigated by stewards.

Beginning to sniff a bit of a double standard. Btw - in the post race interview Jensen said he apologized to Hamilton because he saw him in his mirrors and knew he hadn't gotten the power down coming out of the turn. He misjudged how close Lewis was when he slid back over onto the line to set-up for T1

Also, this race really showed off both the advantages and disadvangtes of DRS + KERS. It penalizes the car in front because they are not able to use DRS if they are not within 1 second of a car in front of them.

When Schumi was trying to defend 2nd place Mark Webber simply walked by him when he activated his DRS on the front straight. That's not really the kind of racing I want to see where one car is given a mechanical while the other is intentionally handicapped.

I'd rather see something along the lines of Indy where you get a set number of push to pass uses each race. For F1, give the drivers unlimited use of KERS but limit the number of times they can use DRS. Maybe 40 presses per race, and no more than 7 with 10 laps to go.

I recorded it -- had to take elderly relative to hospital -- and of course, the recording ended before the restart.

Just caught up and saw the finish of the race ... Holy Cow! Congrats to Button, what a performance from 7th on the grid to take the win.

Woo-hoo!

--

"We all love the music. What we hope is that the music loves us." -- Tom Waits

What a race! Patience eventually paid off!

Very happy for Button, well deserved, he showed immense skill today.Glad for Schumi too, sad he just missed his podium finish. Hamilton looked a little too hot-headed at the start of this race, sad it had to end the way it did, I would've loved to see him at work in the rain once again.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761949 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435099 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260375 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257458 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80900 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871961 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807318 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM