Crown

Forum - Thread

GT3 RS 4.0 - Everything you always wanted to know !

Just download this .pdf file (aprox. 900 kB size) and enjoy.

Caution: For private use only.

GT3RS4RT.pdf

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Re: GT3 RS 4.0 - Everything you always wanted to know !

Many many thanks!

What an excellent document. Thanks, RC.

--

"We all love the music. What we hope is that the music loves us." -- Tom Waits

Thank you RC, 

Excellent document!!!Smiley 

Very nice document Christian!

Thanks

--

http://i54.tinypic.com/34fcl7a.jpg

What's the deal here ? Smiley

Availability: Worldwide except Japan, China and Korea

--

http://i54.tinypic.com/34fcl7a.jpg

same transmission but different toe-in and chamber.. interesting article many thanks RC 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

BiTurbo:

What's the deal here ? Smiley

Availability: Worldwide except Japan, China and Korea

That probably means that those countries have specific legal requirements which this model does not fulfill without making changes to it, so it will not be exported to those countries. 

--

fritz

Holy crap.

Going to be one hell of a car. Sound of the car on track (where it belongs) should be amazing. Well done Porsche and A.P.

--

http://www.GT2GT3Cup.org Vice-Advocate

Brilliant engine.

Goes to show the 4.0 was never a "stroker" but the 3.6 and 3.8 were over square.
    The deeper torque (starting 1000 rpm lower) and no appreciable loss of peak torque from 4500 to 8500 explains how this engine is "always on."
    The equivalent rev-limiter and peak power rising all the way to within an early warning of the soft limiter suggests it will be a "willing" engine -- keen to rev and not causing the driver to take the next gear in the hopes of "getting back into the power band" when time will be made by staying in gear and on power.
    Imagine this behind a PDK.  So near and yet so far.
    3.8 vs 4.0 RS dyno.tiff3.8 vs 4.0 RS dyno 2.tiff

--
    -- ymmv

Thanks for posting RC. Very interesting read

Thank you so much RC!
    --

There is no try. Just do.

RC, any chance to see this piece on the 991 GT3 ? I am very interested in this engine, but only if combined with a sequential/pdk. Manual shift in this kind of car is very demanding imho, and it requires a quite skilled driver to extract the best performance from it. And sadly we're not all Walther Rohr's, and most likely will never be :( Ferrari understands that, hell, even mclaren understands that, only porsche seems to not understand that not all people who like this kind of cars are proffesional drivers, or track-day fanatics ! That's why the first two don't even offer a manual transmission on their supercars (the demand was very low in the first place), and have standard fitted dual-clutch transmissions (even the mighty enzo had a sequential, not a manual). I don't understand why porsche is so stubborn in this regard, don't they want to sell more gt3's ?? at least they could offer a dsg/sequential as an option for fuchs sake ! 

Well, we're not Walter Röhrl, but a lot of us are trying to improve our (shifting) skills. The expression "for fuchs sake" made me smile... Talking wheels or Bathurst? (neither of those two I guess)

I understand that some may want to improve their skills, but others maybe don't have the time, pacience, or tracks available, to do so...or maybe just don't give a shit about manual transmission shifting skills Smiley So why not a offer a GT3 model for both these categories ? Like, say, a GT3 with PDK (or SMG if PDK is not possible) for regular drivers (who just want a real good sports car for the road, for recreational purposes), and a GT3 RS with stick only for track enthusiasts/professional drivers ? Altough, I'm pretty sure even professional drivers preffer sequentials to manuals..

and yes, that was a reference to the Fuchs wheels, I'm glad you enjoyed it :P (it's not the first time I use it either, but no one seemed to notice before you Smiley)

IMO this is missing the point.  For many of us, mastering a manual shifter is part of the thrill of driving (even if we'll never have the skills of professional racing drivers).  There is no substitute for the involvement or control that comes with a manual gearbox.

Call me old-fashioned, but this is part of the reason Porsche remains the ultimate sportscar for me - the fact that, unlike Ferrari or McLaren, they still understand that for many enthusiasts, a manual option remains important.  I dread the day Porsche decides to go the Ferrari route and make PDK the only option.

If you want the power and speed, but you're not interested in tracking your car and you prefer an auto box, buy a Turbo S.  Smiley

BTW I wouldn't mind seeing a good sequential box as an option on some of the hardcore 911s, but with a floor-mounted shifter along the lines of the GT racing cars.

--

On order: Carrera GTS, Carrara White
    Current: 997.1 Carrera S, Atlas Grey
    Sold: 2007 Cayman S, Arctic Silver

If you want the power and speed, but you're not interested in tracking your car and you prefer an auto box, buy a Turbo S.  Smiley

Frankly I would prefer a base carrera than a turbo S...first of all I hate 4-wheel drive, and second I hate forced induction engines (mainly because of the sound, or the lack there of)  A true sports car should be Rwd and NA, at least in my opinion. Incidentaly, it coincides with Ferrari's :)

BTW I wouldn't mind seeing a good sequential box as an option on some of the hardcore 911s, but with a floor-mounted shifter along the lines of the GT racing cars.

I wouldn't mind either, but porsche seems to have a problem with that :))

zmeulzmeilor:

RC, any chance to see this piece on the 991 GT3 ? I am very interested in this engine, but only if combined with a sequential/pdk. 

Seems you can have one or the other, but not both.  The 4.0 will be the last of the Mezger motors and comes with Manual only.  The 991 GT3 will have a new 9A1 motor, most likely with PDK (hopefully 7spd close-ratio manual option too).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

PureBlue:

IMO this is missing the point.  For many of us, mastering a manual shifter is part of the thrill of driving (even if we'll never have the skills of professional racing drivers).  There is no substitute for the involvement or control that comes with a manual gearbox.

Call me old-fashioned, but this is part of the reason Porsche remains the ultimate sportscar for me - the fact that, unlike Ferrari or McLaren, they still understand that for many enthusiasts, a manual option remains important.  I dread the day Porsche decides to go the Ferrari route and make PDK the only option.

100% Agree Smiley

I drove PDK and F1 on a 430 Scud and although you have more time to concentrate on exact corner entries,apex etc - ....I never thought I like to manualy shift again as much as I do in the RS.....maybe not the fastest but the biggest fun !

Grant:
    zmeulzmeilor:

RC, any chance to see this piece on the 991 GT3 ? I am very interested in this engine, but only if combined with a sequential/pdk. 

Seems you can have one or the other, but not both.  The 4.0 will be the last of the Mezger motors and comes with Manual only.  The 991 GT3 will have a new 9A1 motor, most likely with PDK (hopefully 7spd close-ratio manual option too).

I'm afraid Grant is right. According to the latest rumors, the GT3 RS 4.0 will be the last 911 with the "Mezger" engine. Which actually makes this car a true collector's item if someone is really into collecting Porsche cars.

If I could afford it (as a toy), I would buy this car in a heartbeat, not even thinking about the 991. Unfortunately I can't and this dream will be gone forever. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC , get a 3.8 RS - I feel like a young boy again (wallposter-times) every time I enter it - back to basics with no luxury-rubbish , just focussing on driving pleasures with as little weight as possible - for the rest you have different cars.

RC:

I'm afraid Grant is right. According to the latest rumors, the GT3 RS 4.0 will be the last 911 with the "Mezger" engine. Which actually makes this car a true collector's item if someone is really into collecting Porsche cars.

If I could afford it (as a toy), I would buy this car in a heartbeat, not even thinking about the 991. Unfortunately I can't and this dream will be gone forever. Smiley

Yeah, I had an allocation for the 4.0, but I couldn't afford it (had to give to a friend instead)Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

BjoernB:

RC , get a 3.8 RS - I feel like a young boy again (wallposter-times) every time I enter it - back to basics with no luxury-rubbish , just focussing on driving pleasures with as little weight as possible - for the rest you have different cars.

Not possible...wife, two kids...too much money for a weekend toy. Smiley

--

Many thanks RC - such interesting info

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

RC:

Not possible...wife, two kids...too much money for a weekend toy. Smiley

Have you considered selling the kids ? Or the wife at least ? This is how we do in Russia when we *really* want our supercars. Just joking Smiley

zmeulzmeilor:

I understand that some may want to improve their skills, but others maybe don't have the time, pacience, or tracks available, to do so...or maybe just don't give a shit about manual transmission shifting skills Smiley 

... or... they lack the required talent to learn how to use a manual gear-box properly Smiley

MKSGR:
    zmeulzmeilor:

I understand that some may want to improve their skills, but others maybe don't have the time, pacience, or tracks available, to do so...or maybe just don't give a shit about manual transmission shifting skills Smiley 

... or... they lack the required talent to learn how to use a manual gear-box properly Smiley

In my case, my legs are too long to heel & toe the pedals without surgically dislocating my right ankle to keep my lower leg from interfering with the console.  I used to really play the gas, brake and clutch like organ pedals in my old '74 IROC 911 RSR because it had no under-dash mechanical crap in the way of doing so.  Tragically, I sold it.

With the cramped interior of most sports cars, I'd prefer to not have my height work against me when competing with other drivers with shorter legs.  The Carrera GT has the most leg room of any Porsche I've ever driven.  It has enough seat-back-to-pedal-cluster distance to avoid having my knees knock into the steering wheel so I can operate the controls pretty well.  Conversely, it's impossible for me to drive a manual-shift Boxster on the track because of a lack of leg room.

In most cases, I would reluctantly prefer PDK for track driving so that my long-leg handicap doesn't slow me down Smiley

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T

Had an interest chat with my OPC manager, of the 600 4.0 made, only 15 is going to Canada, Vancouver only gets one and it's spoken for.

He told me while I cannot get a 4.0, he still have a spot for a 918 :)

Whoopsy:

Had an interest chat with my OPC manager, of the 600 4.0 made, only 15 is going to Canada, Vancouver only gets one and it's spoken for.

He told me while I cannot get a 4.0, he still have a spot for a 918 :)

I had a chat with my Porsche dealer's general manager today about the RS 4.0.  He said that he had never seen a car as "hot" and as difficult to obtain as this car.  He's working every angle available to find one for me, but it's not close to being easy.  

There are internet rumors that only 70 of the 125 (or so) allocated to the USA market are assigned to customers; QED there are over 50 yet to be allocated by PCNA.  My GM's view was that those cars may not appear in the PCNA system as allocated, but each PCNA regional sales manager has spoken to various of his region's dealers and made them each a promise that will be fulfilled.  My guy thought that if the regional manager were to back out of a promise on such a hot car, Porsche's Atlanta phone switch would burn down from the hate calls.  So, things are tight, even from a top-down perspective.

Some dealers with an uncommitted allocation are asking for as many as 12 to 15 Cayenne allocations in trade for a single RS 4.0.  The new Cayennes are a big profit centers for US dealers at the moment.  Instead of charging over list (frowned upon by Porsche) for the RS 4.0, they want the equivalent in extra profits from additional Cayenne sales.  What a wild market!

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691180 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410252 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256274 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235437 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65761 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858892 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775217 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM