Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Why so many used SLS's for sale ?

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN ME WHY THERE ARE SO MANY USED SLS'S FOR SALE ? IS IT BECAUSE OF THE ROADSTER OR SIMPLY BECAUSE THIS CAR GETS BORING AFTER A (PRETTY SHORT)  WHILE? (btw that interior looks very boring already, and without even sitting in it I can tell it's not the most inspiring place to be in; also it is very cramped as far as I can see, which for a car this big is unacceptable; especially since we're talking about a GT, which by definition should be confortable on long trips; or to me the SLS's cabin doesn't appear to be more accomodating than that of a SLK Smiley)

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?scopeId=C&isSearchRequest=true&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&makeModelVariant1.makeId=17200&makeModelVariant1.modelId=34&export=ALSO_EXPORT&damageUnrepaired=ALSO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED

Re: Why so many used SLS's for sale ?

The interior is similar to an airplane cockpit. It is tight but so is the CGT and other super premium sport cars. I am curious. Why the animus against the SLS? 

--

Why so many SLS on mobile.de? Because there were SO MANY pure speculators. Simple as that.

SLS interior is for two persons bigger then the one in 997.2 Turbo for example(if you count out pretty useless rear seats in 997.2).

Just, as Nick asked why the animus against the SLS?

I don't think he's ever driven one.......

Here in CH I know 2 owners - they simply love to have the latest gadgets try them out and move on when their eye catches something new - next to all the "new import companies" popping up all over CH trying to make some money on VAT and currency differences between EU and CH. For Swiss people cars are relatively cheap with the strong SFR currently......

Global economy going to crap again maybe

zmeulzmeilor:

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN ME WHY THERE ARE SO MANY USED SLS'S FOR SALE ? IS IT BECAUSE OF THE ROADSTER OR SIMPLY BECAUSE THIS CAR GETS BORING AFTER A (PRETTY SHORT)  WHILE? (btw that interior looks very boring already, and without even sitting in it I can tell it's not the most inspiring place to be in; also it is very cramped as far as I can see, which for a car this big is unacceptable; especially since we're talking about a GT, which by definition should be confortable on long trips; or to me the SLS's cabin doesn't appear to be more accomodating than that of a SLK Smiley)

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?scopeId=C&isSearchRequest=true&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&makeModelVariant1.makeId=17200&makeModelVariant1.modelId=34&export=ALSO_EXPORT&damageUnrepaired=ALSO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED

I sat in a SLS AMG about an hour ago at the Canary Wharf Motorexpo - the interior didn't look boring to me at all - I don't think one should form an opinion without sitting inside it .

I'm 1.90m tall and it wasn't cramped for me. I didn't even hit my head on the gull wing door as I exited.

The SLK interior looks and feels very different IMO.

Now, as a Moderator here, I would like to offer you 2 pieces of advice:

(1) forming views based on the number of cars for sale and then speculating why that could be is inevitably misleading. Please remember that Rennteam tries to be a useful forum with reliable information. This is not the place to engage in speculation that has no evidence or basis for it. So please consider this before posting in future.

(2) The tone and style of your post falls short of what is usually accepted here. It comes across as aggressive. Please remember this in future and word your future posts accordingly.

Thank you.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:
    zmeulzmeilor:

I sat in a SLS AMG about an hour ago at the Canary Wharf Motorexpo - the interior didn't look boring to me at all - I don't think one should form an opinion without sitting inside it .

I'm 1.90m tall and it wasn't cramped for me. I didn't even hit my head on the gull wing door as I exited.

+1 Smiley
    I'm 1.93cm. I had the SLS for a bit over 2 hours.

easy_rider911:

(1) forming views based on the number of cars for sale and then speculating why that could be is inevitably misleading. Please remember that Rennteam tries to be a useful forum with reliable information. This is not the place to engage in speculation that has no evidence or basis for it. So please consider this before posting in future.

(2) The tone and style of your post falls short of what is usually accepted here. It comes across as aggressive. Please remember this in future and word your future posts accordingly.

Thank you.

+1 Smiley

Besides, there is no need to speculate the reasons of high number of SLS on second hand car market.

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

easy_rider911:

Thank you.

Easy, in case you haven't noticed, THAT'S how he ever post here. Remember the new M5 engine thread? He still hasn't owe up to the challenge.

He has asked a legit question,now can anyone answer the question rather than having a go at him,btw,why are there so many sls's for sale? 

Because he deserves every single ounce of it?

That question has  been answered a few threads above.

A lot of initial SLS were purchased out of speculation. World market crashed. Speculators getting slaughtered left and right.

Speculation time was over more than a year ago and if you check the Mobile.de he attached i don't see anything to remotely qualify as slaughter...

Most of the SLS coupes on mobile.de are 2010 cars that were bought by speculators. How many are 2011? Very limited number.

BTW, what kind of answer did you and original poster expected(or would accept)? That SLS AMG is a crap and boring car as a reason for relatively big offer on mobile.de?

Most members here on rennteam that had a chance to drive SLS were impressed with it.

If you or original poster do not like SLS AMG that is fine, at least with me. Different people, different opinion.

relax,it's very kind and generous of you to allow people to have different opinions.

I for one love the SLS the way it handles drive stop sound  and look,i was honestly wondering why so many are for sale and speculation does not convince me as well as the fact that at 150k EUR i don't know who's being slaughtered sellers(speculators) or buyers...

Anyway,the more on offer....

Given that apparently in 2010 many SLS's were bought out of speculation, what went wrong then for their speculation not to pay off? I get the impression the SLS's for sale don't command any sort of premium vs. new?

It's not just europe. The "launch year" buyers here are also getting it handed to them on resale. There are more than enough to pick from and I know if a few friends who are struggling to sell theirs on without losing a chunk of money.

Not a bad car, but it is not depreciating as slow as what some initially thought.

nberry:

The interior is similar to an airplane cockpit. It is tight but so is the CGT and other super premium sport cars. I am curious. Why the animus against the SLS? 

CGT is a mid-engine hiper car afaik. SLS is a front-engined super-GT. If should, by definition, have a roomy interior. And how is the interior similar to an airplane cockpit ? Just because it has those air-plane style vents ? Anyway, it's not that I have something against the SLS, but some things just don't seem right with this car, especially when we are taking the price into consideration. The headlight design is one, and the boring cramped interior is the other. I mean, on a SLK it's just fine, but on a 200000 eur GT car ? No effin way. Btw, here are some pics with the 2012 SLK interior, it looks practically THE SAME! (except for the width of course)

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-mercedes-benz-slk-first-drive/#3971926

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-mercedes-benz-slk-first-drive/#3971930

zmeulzmeilor:
    nberry:

CGT is a mid-engine hiper car afaik. SLS is a front-engined super-GT. If should, by definition, have a roomy interior. And how is the interior similar to an airplane cockpit ? Just because it has those air-plane style vents ? Anyway, it's not that I have something against the SLS, but some things just don't seem right with this car, especially when we are taking the price into consideration. The headlight design is one, and the boring cramped interior is the other. I mean, on a SLK it's just fine, but on a 200000 eur GT car ? No effin way. Btw, here are some pics with the 2012 SLK interior, it looks practically THE SAME! (except for the width of course)

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-mercedes-benz-slk-first-drive/#3971930

Get ur behind into one and see for yourself Smiley

easy_rider911:

Your are in minority then. Most reviews I've read so far have complained about the interior. Have you read Autocar's review ?

I have sat in a SL, not SLS, for a long journey, and it felt cramped. Now, I saw a SLS in real life and the cabin is much smaller than the SL's, so I can only imagine it's only worse! Hell, the seats can't even be moved backwards in the SLS, there's no space left. Just like in the SLK.

The SLK interior looks and feels very different IMO. 

Really ?? From the pics it looks exactly the same (altough the materials are probably much better in the SLS, but I didn't say anything negative about that in the first place). And that is not a matter of opinion, it is a FACT. You can't say "this is a rooster IMO" when everyone sees it is a parrot Smiley

@zmeulzmellor: 'boring' is a subjective concept. I don't need Autocar to tell me how I should decide on issues of my own taste. I prefer to form my own opinion of what does or does not look boring to me.

You judge the interior space of a SLS by your experience of a SL. If you want to do that, it is your choice. My opinion is that other people will think your method of forming your opinion to be flawed - and they will then value your view accordingly.

Your opinion on the similarity of the SLK and SLS interior is far from accurate IMO. You state that "it looks exactly the same .... And that is not a matter of opinion, it is a FACT".

Again, how something "looks to you" is nothing to do with 'facts'. It is your subjective perception of reality.

This is where my involvement in this particular conversation ends. It appears to me to be an exercise in futility.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

zmeulzmeilor:

Your are in minority then. Most reviews I've read so far have complained about the interior. Have you read Autocar's review ?

I have sat in a SL, not SLS, for a long journey, and it felt cramped. Now, I saw a SLS in real life and the cabin is much smaller than the SL's, so I can only imagine it's only worse! Hell, the seats can't even be moved backwards in the SLS, there's no space left. Just like in the SLK.

Really ?? From the pics it looks exactly the same (altough the materials are probably much better in the SLS, but I didn't say anything negative about that in the first place). And that is not a matter of opinion, it is a FACT. You can't say "this is a rooster IMO" when everyone sees it is a parrot Smiley

Actually YOU are the minority. Re-read the forum, most members here actually LIKED the car.

I sat in one, I test drove one, I considered buying one. Seeing the real car is completely different than bench-racing one on internet forums, or comparing pictures. Just because you 'think' the interior looks like a SLK one doesn't mean it is. Go park yourself inside a real one, feel the texture, materials that Mercedes uses, then compare the same thing in a SLK. Big different. A picture simply cannot express that.

BTW, where is the S63/N63 engine comparison from you?

Please do your homework before lashing out.Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh4MGxyW7UM

--

Mike S:

Not a bad car, but it is not depreciating as slow as what some initially thought.

That's true, Mike - but it appears to me that the same could be said about almost any expensive sportscar (maybe except Super Exotics like Veyrons or Zondas) in these days. So any enthusiast should be better off to buy these toys just for what they are meant to exist: sheer joy of ownership and driving fun - I'm under the impression that this is your approach with your superb stable Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

@zmeulzmellor: 'boring' is a subjective concept. I don't need Autocar to tell me how I should decide on issues of my own taste. I prefer to form my own opinion of what does or does not look boring to me

Fair enough, so to you it doesn't look boring. To others, like myself, and many many other people, it does. So the fact is that there are many people who find the interior of the SLS boring. Which means that mercedes can probably make a better interior than that. Agree ?

You judge the interior space of a SLS by your experience of a SL. If you want to do that, it is your choice. My opinion is that other people will think your method of forming your opinion to be flawed - and they will then value your view accordingly.

I really don't see why this method is flawed. It's actually pretty logical: Sl has more cabin space but feels cramped. Therefore, SLS, which has less cabin space, feels even more cramped ! To me, of course :) And, like I already said, the inability to move the seat further in the back is a real downside for a GT. In my opinion, of course! Now, really, unless you suffer from a severe mental disorder or some one implanted a chip in your brain in order to express his opinions, it is assumed that it is your opinion that which you are expressing, so why not skip this stupid meaningless phrase and just say what you want to say ? IMO, IMHO, of course it's your %#&% opinion, you don't have to tell me that every time you begin a sentence. I get it, everything you say it's your own opinion. No one has brainwashed you to say his opinion instead of your's. 

By the way, as a non-moderator, I have an advice for all forum members: stop the "in my opinion" bullshit, please. 

Your opinion on the similarity of the SLK and SLS interior is far from accurate IMO. You state that "it looks exactly the same .... And that is not a matter of opinion, it is a FACT".

So my opinion on the similarity of the SLK and SLS interior is far from accurate INMO (in not my opinion). That is, in your opinion, not mine, my opinion is far from accurate, so I better stop here because in your opinion my opinion is rubbish Smiley  

Again, how something "looks to you" is nothing to do with 'facts'. It is your subjective perception of reality.

Riiight, how something looks doesn't have anything to do with how that thing actually looks! It's all in your head. So when you see a picture of Catherine Zeta Jones naked, you can't say "damn, that chick looks hot naked", because that is just your "subjective perception of reality".  So instead you have to say, "imho, that chick looks hot naked", since other people, who have a different perception of reality, might look at the same picture and say "damn, why is that ugly whale naked?". And of course those people are called NUTS. Or "insane" in medical terms :P

By the way, as a non-moderator, one more piece of advice:  if you want to get philosophical try the Matrix forums..Smiley 

This is where my involvement in this particular conversation ends. It appears to me to be an exercise in futility.

I think so too...that is to say, in my unhumble opinion, i think that on this particularly subjective subject, your humble opinion is correct, and this discussion is useless since someone can't admit the evidence and has to resort to philosophical BS to counter the obvious:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2010-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-0/#2268628

zmeulzmeilor:

Now, really, unless you suffer from a severe mental disorder or some one implanted a chip in your brain in order to express other's opinions, it is assumed that it is your opinion that which you are expressing, so why not skip this stupid meaningless phrase and just say what you want to say ? IMO, IMHO, of course it's your %#&% opinion, you don't have to tell me that every time you begin a sentence. I get it, everything you say it's your own opinion. No one has brainwashed you to say his opinion instead of your's. 

By the way, as a non-moderator, I have an advice for all forum members: stop the "in my opinion" bullshit, please. 

So my opinion on the similarity of the SLK and SLS interior is far from accurate INMO (in not my opinion). That is, in your opinion, not mine, my opinion is far from accurate, so I better stop here because in your opinion my opinion is rubbish Smiley  

By the way, as a non-moderator, one more piece of advice:  if you want to get philosophical try the Matrix forums..Smiley 

Well a moderator let me give this advice to YOU. You have been told several times but you don't seem to get the point. Let me make it clearer. We expect a certain level of manners and education when refering to other members and a respectuful and mature tone when discussing topics in this forum. It should be evident to you by now as you read other members contributions and dicussions here. If you are unable to or don't want to follow that policy , there are plenty of other forums for you to visit, but don't waste our patience or time here, much less think that anybody here has asked for your advice on forum policies and etiquette to long-time members.

--

Carlos, he doesn't get it, he never will. Too juvenile to comprehend adult stuff, don't waste time, save it for our discussions on pro/con android :)

Carlos from Spain:
    zmeulzmeilor:

Now, really, unless you suffer from a severe mental disorder or some one implanted a chip in your brain in order to express other's opinions, it is assumed that it is your opinion that which you are expressing, so why not skip this stupid meaningless phrase and just say what you want to say ? IMO, IMHO, of course it's your %#&% opinion, you don't have to tell me that every time you begin a sentence. I get it, everything you say it's your own opinion. No one has brainwashed you to say his opinion instead of your's. 

Well a moderator let me give this advice to YOU. You have been told several times but you don't seem to get the point. Let me make it clearer. We expect a certain level of manners and education when refering to other members and a respectuful and mature tone when discussing topics in this forum. It should be evident to you by now as you read other members contributions and dicussions here. If you are unable to or don't want to follow that policy , there are plenty of other forums for you to visit, but don't waste our patience or time here, much less think that anybody here has asked for your advice on forum policies and etiquette to long-time members.

@Carlos: Thanks.

@zmeulzmeilor: You just posted your final post on Rennteam.

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Announcement from Rennteam Moderators

mariusv has been previously banned from Rennteam for being rude and aggressive towards other members (e.g. when discussing RC's decision to buy his BMW X5M and John H's decision to buy a Carrera GTS).

This individual created a new user account, zmeulzmeilor, in order to re-visit Rennteam even though he had already been banned.

Unfortunately, he repeated his usual conduct of aggression towards other members and Rennteam Moderators on this thread.

His existing ban is being enforced.

Thank you for your patience.

Finally! What took you so long? I believe it was a mistake that people tried to answer his question in the first place... The best course of action with people that are aggressive and "personal" in their posts like him is to completely ignore them. A third account will appear soon...
    --

There is no try. Just do.

Pentium:
    A third account will appear soon...

We'll be vigilant to make sure this doesn't happen Smiley

--

RT Moderator 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764805 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436815 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261180 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258081 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82707 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877140 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809292 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM