Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Rich_NY:

Just put some of the new Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position tires on mine. They are fantastic. Bridgestone always beats Michelin in the performance market.

How do they compare, noisewise? 

--

"We all love the music. What we hope is that the music loves us." -- Tom Waits

Porsche Carrera Cup Great Britain: The role of tyres in racing...

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Having fun at Porsche's Driving Experience Centre with Michelin Pilot Super Sport...

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Why then aren't Super Sports yet N-rated???

Doesn't make any sense if they are so superior???

Are Michelin really waiting for the 991 when they seem to be doing such a great job with the 997...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

My theory is that Porsche wants the difference from 997 to 991 to be as impressive as possible. They wouldn't like everyone to find out half of the difference is tires ;-)
    --

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T

W8MM:
    My theory is that Porsche wants the difference from 997 to 991 to be as impressive as possible. They wouldn't like everyone to find out half of the difference is tires ;-)

Makes perfect sense. The PSS were tested by Michelin in Dubai with 997.2s...

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

W8MM:

That's what I think so as well.

--

W8MM:

Excellent theory Mike..Smiley

So when, exactly, do you think PSS will be N-rated and do you think that it's worth fitting them to a 997 now, at a lower price, than waiting for it to happen?  Also will Porsche want any changes made to permit an N-rating?

--

Given Mike's theory the PSS should be N-rated when the 991 ships later this year. 

Re prices, I am not so sure the N-rated tires will be more expensive. Often, TireRack sells N-rated tires slightly cheaper than non N-rated for various brands.

Another issue... The N-rated PSS may be optimized for the 991's suspension and longer wheelbase and not for the 997 - just a thought.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Carrageous:
    Rich_NY:

Just put some of the new Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position tires on mine. They are fantastic. Bridgestone always beats Michelin in the performance market.

How do they compare, noisewise? 

I've noticed nothing noisewise. I have a 2006 C2 and have had The Michelin PS2s as well as the Bridgestone RE050As on the car in the past.

Thanks, Rich. I've got the PS2s on my C2 and they seem crazy noisy to me, but that may be Texas country road surfacing more than anything. I'd love a quieter tire.

--

"We all love the music. What we hope is that the music loves us." -- Tom Waits

My pleasure. Look into the Bridgestones. I think they stick a hell of a lot better in all conditions.

Bridgestone RE-050A's on my GTS are quieter than PS2's on my C2S... IMHO.

Obviously, I haven't tried PSS yet - will wait until I need new tyres, by which time I'm sure conclusive evidence as to tyre choice will be available on this site...

--

If PSS will be N-rated for 991, does this mean that they will be only available in 991 sizes?

BTW, I've noticed N-rated Goodyear for the first time. They are OE on Cayenne and 987.

--

"Form follows function"

If I recall correctly, Porsche introduced the PS2 with the introduction if the 997 and not before, and they did not release sizes for the 996.
    --

Carlos from Spain:
    If I recall correctly, Porsche introduced the PS2 with the introduction if the 997 and not before, and they did not release sizes for the 996.

Correct. No N-rated PS2 for 996/986. Only PS with the "Rib" tread.

It could be the same in the case of  PSS and 991

No PS2 are fitted as OE on new cars for some months now. I wonder why?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Carlos from Spain:

Correct. No N-rated PS2 for 996/986. Only PS with the "Rib" tread.

It could be the same in the case of  PSS and 991

No PS2 are fitted as OE on new cars for some months now. I wonder why?

The Feb 2011 factory tire rec has PS2s on the 996 list. See attached. 911 Tires.pdf

--

This is new information. Thank you!

--

"Form follows function"

Obviously it will be my choice once I eat up my current Michelin P/S2s on my M3.

I'll put F 255/35/19 - R 275/35/19 instead of current 245/35-265/35 tire set-up as well. 

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

ADias:
    pride355:

Obviously it will be my choice once I eat up my current Michelin P/S2s on my M3.

I'll put F 255/35/19 - R 275/35/19 instead of current 245/35-265/35 tire set-up as well. 

So you feel a need for more traction and less feel and nimbleness? :)

Increased front tire width will increase front foot-print. More rubber in front will result in better front traction both in cornering and braking.

We'll see Smiley

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

John H:

Carlos - if timing goes against you and you need new tyres before the Super Sports are N-rated, why not give Bridgestone RE-050A's a try...

They came standard on my new GTS and, so far, I've found them equal if not better than PS2's! 

reginos:

I put the N1RE-050A's in January in place of the original PS2.

The B'stones are better in standing water. They seem to evacuate water faster. It's mostly dry here but when it rains there is a lot of standing water especially on motorways. In these circumstances Michelin felt wanting for more.

On dry roads I noticed that the feel of the rear is better with the B'stones. You feel more accurately what the rear is doing although I suspect ultimate grip is more with the Michelin.

B'stones also roll more softly compared to Michelin harsher  feel.

The only drawback I've noticed is that they "jump" more when bumps are encountered especially high frequency ones. The sidewalls on the B'stones are stiffer than MIchelin's.

Overall I found that they are very good all weather everyday use tyres. For ultra fast running on autobahns or tracking I cannot tell.

Rossi:

Agreed. I've got them on the Turbo and like them. They are at least equal to the Michelin I got on the red car. Smiley

ADias:

Agreed! The N1 RE050A are quite good.

Guys, I just got the RE050A for the 997S last week and yesterday I had a P-Car gathering with a long route over nice empty rallye type winding roads and was very surprised by the Birdgestones. They had fantastic grip in the corners, the front end was very confidence inspiring due to the feedback and grip, and the rear end was planted coming out of the hairpins. I had a blast!! on the previous outing the PS2's were almost worn out but had lost grip already and it was wet, so it was a handfull on the mountain roads and would oversteer, ABS would jump in in braking, had to leave a bigger marging in entry speed, ect. 

The PS2 were fantastic tires (I gone through 4 sets already) but I think I prefer the Bidgestones. Not only were they fantastic in the mountain roads but alse they seem to be more comfortable as well, though I have noticed that ironnically they are harsher in hard bumps like expansion joints.

I haven't tested them in wet yet but Bridgestone have always been good at that and standing water as Reginos says, and I don't know how much they will last but was very impressed with the Bridgestones. Fantastic everyday tire for a 997 for commuting, hard road driving, winter rain, etc. Amazing how far tire technology has evolved over the years.

Thanks for the recomendation of the RE050A  Smiley

--

Thanks for your impressions that coincide with mine and others.

Yes, it's a paradox that although they are overall more comfortable tyres they are harsher on hard bumps.

Coincidentally, before I read your post, I went for a drive on some back roads and I was thinking how well the B'stones behave. They were very good at 5 degrees C and now at 34 C they are excellent.

--

"Form follows function"

John H:

Why then aren't Super Sports yet N-rated? [...]
    Are Michelin really waiting for the 991 when they seem to be doing such a great job with the 997...

Michelin PSS will be N-rated on the 991 and subsequently for the previous generation(s). According to one of the engineers, the 997 has been one of the development cars for the regular PSS and used during their most recent demonstration days, performing several dozens of laps per day. Until the appearance of N-rated PSS versions, one could therefore use the regular one without a doubt. Differences between regular and Porsche-rated tires are indeed in tire compound and sometimes even underlying structure.

Carlos from Spain:
    Guys, I just got the RE050A for the 997S last week and yesterday I had a P-Car gathering with a long route over nice empty rallye type winding roads and was very surprised by the Birdgestones. ...
    The PS2 were fantastic tires (I gone through 4 sets already) but I think I prefer the Bidgestones. Not only were they fantastic in the mountain roads but alse they seem to be more comfortable as well, though I have noticed that ironnically they are harsher in hard bumps like expansion joints.

--

Carlos: Are your RE050A N1-rated? I do not feel these to be harsher over expansion joints than PS2s.

I would love someone comparing the RE050A N1 to the new Michelin PSS from a comfort perspective (noise/harshness)

ADias:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Guys, I just got the RE050A for the 997S last week and yesterday I had a P-Car gathering with a long route over nice empty rallye type winding roads and was very surprised by the Birdgestones. ...

--

Carlos: Are your RE050A N1-rated? I do not feel these to be harsher over expansion joints than PS2s.

I would love someone comparing the RE050A N1 to the new Michelin PSS from a comfort perspective (noise/harshness)

Always, I only fit N rated tires on my 997S Smiley

That was my subjective impresion, especially noticeable in the steel expansion joints we have here in the highways that you know as well or the ocasinal pot hole. Mainly harsh abruptive bumps, but not on regular asfalt surface bumps.

I would expect the PSS to be stiffer than PS2 and RE050A? Smiley

--

ADias:

Carlos from Spain:

--

I will be doing just this in a few weeks; taking off RE050s and installing PSS. Will report what I think... But usual problem is comparing old tires with new... Most of us have difficulty remembering what the worn ones were like new.
    --

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac:
    I will be doing just this in a few weeks; taking off RE050s and installing PSS. Will report what I think... But usual problem is comparing old tires with new... Most of us have difficulty remembering what the worn ones were like new.

Just be happy you don't own a Carrera GT.  New tires seem exactly the sanme as worn out old tires.

The reason?  Even if purchased in 2009, the "new" tires were made (molded) in 2004 or 2005, just like the last set Smiley

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T

Carlos from Spain:

Always, I only fit N rated tires on my 997S Smiley

That was my subjective impresion, especially noticeable in the steel expansion joints we have here in the highways that you know as well or the ocasinal pot hole. Mainly harsh abruptive bumps, but not on regular asfalt surface bumps.

I would expect the PSS to be stiffer than PS2 and RE050A? Smiley

I should have been clearer... there are N0 and N1 RE050A on the market. There's a s substantial difference between the two. The N1 is superior.

--

4trac:

4trac: Are your RE050A N0 or N1 rated?

--

ADias:

I should have been clearer... there are N0 and N1 RE050A on the market. There's a s substantial difference between the two. The N1 is superior.

Ah, I see what you mean, yes, they are the N1's. Did not know about the difference between the N0's and N1's either, glad they are the N1's then Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM