Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2011 Monaco F1 Grand Prix

thats strange, maybe with the softer tires they don't suffer as much? but its just prcatice so its hard to tell 

--

I feel like it's sand bagging for the Red Bulls :)

Just practice games, RBR is doing race setting laps... It'll be a great Qualifying though

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Nice blog from James Allen to set the scene ... tees it up nicely

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/05/the-joy-of-monaco/

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Some needle from Newey on the changes at Ferrari

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/05/newey-plays-mind-games-over-new-ferrari-design-team/

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

Interesting blog from James Allen on Monaco strategy - he thinks there will be 2 or 3 pit stops - huh? The race is 78 laps long with the top 10 cars starting the race on the tyres that they set their fastest lap in Q3.

3 sets of soft tyres usually last a max of 15 laps each making a total of 45 laps. The super soft tyres will last a max of 10 laps according to Pirelli. So far, that's 55 laps. How are they proposing to do the remaining 23 laps?

I expect at least 4 pit stops (and the teams that sacrifice an extra set of soft tyres will need to use more super softs, so they could even need to make 5 stops). But I expect 4 stops to be the norm.

It turns out I was overly pessimistic about tyre durability - the soft and super soft tyres are lasting much longer than Pirelli predicted Smiley It is now expected that some teams will only do 2 stops Smiley

--

RT Moderator 

Saturday Practice lap times now added

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9418469.stm 

--

RT Moderator 

Qualification lap times

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/9418471.stm 

--

RT Moderator 

Horrific accident for Perez - hope he's OK. 

--

RT Moderator 

Impressive, Rosberg had more "luck".

Hamilton should have put in a 'banker' lap - Vettel is smiling on pole - Hamilton's attempt was poor, sitting at the traffic light waiting to exit the pit lane - cold tyres - it all looked desperate to me.

Some poor decisions here when qualification is more important at Monaco than anywhere else.

--

RT Moderator 

Easy, I guess a 'banker' lap means a 'safe' lap, quick and clean?

(just trying to improve my English...)

Hamilton didn't stand a chance, cold tires and full of fuel for the entire Q3, very bad luck, and also for the rest except Vettel since none of them had a chance to improve after sitting so long in the car and so little time left to resume.

Vettel, as if he doesn't have already the best car by far, now he gets all the luck in qualifying in a track were other drivers stood a better chance at closing the car performance gap since in this track driver factor is heavier than on other tracks, unfortunatley, there is little passing in the race so the real chance was at qualifying... 

I hope Hamilton keeps his cool under this situation and doesn't provoke an accident trying too hard to overtake in such a track, but a safety car could mix things up a bit though.

--

DuckieRS:

(just trying to improve my English...)

Not too quick but clean

--

"Form follows function"

Briatore tries to get involved

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91793

I'm glad he has a good word for Newey

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    DuckieRS:

Not too quick but clean

Thanks reginos. I'll try to look up if there are more of these expressions.

Looking forward to the GP. Hope it won't be a procession...

Praying for a safety car -although nothing too serious- to mix things up tomorrow.

Curious to see what Button has in store!

Button to lead with KERS off the line perhaps?

--

- "I see dead pixels..."
    - “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

@DuckieRS: exactly - it's like a deposit you already put into the bank - so you have something you can count on Smiley

--

RT Moderator 

reginos:

Briatore tries to get involved

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91793

I'm glad he has a good word for Newey

I love this guy, as usual speaks his mind and holds nothing back, of course he says what he thinks from his point of view and interests but actually everything he said is true...

If Newey is the Messi of F1, Briatore would be the José Mourinho Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

If Newey is the Messi of F1, Briatore would be the José Mourinho Smiley-

A good one Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Why didn't Charlie Whitting just hand the trophy to Vettel on Friday and not waste everybody else's time? allowing Vettel to put on a set of new supersoft tires "right on the grid line" is basically setting the result right then and there. Unbeliebable poor ending to the race.

Amazing race by Button and Alonso but there is nothing they could have done, they didn't even get a chance, even at qualifying they were screwed of a falst lap. You have to go back a few years for a championship were the car and luck decided the resuts so much.

I take back what I said last race about Hamilton growing up and maturing, what he did to Massa and others today is discracefull, he needs a serious warning by FIA, one thing is to be agreesive another is this one of the main reasons for the poor race today and all the stopages.

--

Yesterday I was praying for a safety car situation, with hindsight it was the worst thing that could happen... It was shaping up superbly towards the end of the race, shame it ended prematurely.

Anyone else noticed the three different approaches of Vettel, Alonso and Button towards the girls on the podium? Vettel somewhat shy kissed both girls, Alonso shook their hand and Button went straight for a hug with the blond girl (I assume Charlene Wittstock?).

What I saw is how Vettel squirted the Champaigne directly at the standing-in-attention guard's face, he must of thought it was funny, but I felt like slapping him right across the face...

The only good thing are that both Perez and Petrov were OK after the accidents.

--

I noticed that too, the man didn't even move an inch!

hahaha GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VETTEL!!!!!!!!

What a great race, full of excitement. To go on a one stop strategy in Monaco where you know there will almost certainly be a safety car or two is bold. Well done RBR.

What are you talking about, Alonso and Button did amazing, they did well! Certainly not amazing.. this is Moncao, ie. car doesn't make a difference so much... Had they actually got their sh!t together for ones, either one could have won easily today. Especially considering RBR messed up their pit stop on both drivers and picked a risky strategy.

Hamilton and Massa are just idiots, they were looking like AMATEURS today again
    I'm sorry but it's beginning to be a trend and not a good one on this level given these guys experience.

And it has to be said that Vettel is doing AMAZING!!!! So young, already a title, his dream, and still down to earth... ie. not hugging the grid girls. His parents are there, he is still very young and modest, already rich, racing with his hero Michael and not showing ANY sweat from Alonso nor Hamilton.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Porker:

Anyone else noticed the three different approaches of Vettel, Alonso and Button towards the girls on the podium? Vettel somewhat shy kissed both girls, Alonso shook their hand and Button went straight for a hug with the blond girl (I assume Charlene Wittstock?).

Alonso is the only one who is married, so I guess he wanted to be proper.

Button used to live in Monaco, so he must be friendlier  with the local royal family than Vettel. Hence the warmer embrace.

--

"Form follows function"

What a messy weekend - hope Perez is OK but his crash in Q3 spoiled Q3. The grid order was not a true reflection of real pace.

And then a messy race - great drives from Vettel, Alonso and Button.

I still can't understand why McLaren boxed Button 3 times ...

Sone poor pit stops for Webber and Hamilton ...

Hamilton has really lost it - his post race interview was shocking - totally agree with Carlos - he blamed Massa and Maldonado when it was really his own fault - those guys turned in when he was still behind them - not alongside - and then he complained that the stewards had questioned him 5 times in the past 6 races - when asked why he felt he was being targeted, he responded to the BBC interviewer that 'maybe its because I'm black' - and there is no way he was joking (as Jake Humphrey wrongly stated - Jake was trying to downplay it).

Totally agree about the re-start - badly handled - changing tyres on the grid may be legal but it shouldn't be during the race - it gave Vettel and Alonso free tyre changes - that's not fair.

Totally agree with Carlos about Vettel spraying the Monegasque Guardsman with champagne - that was crass and childish - plus the kissing the girls stuff - don't these guys realise that there is a certain protocol for behaving with the Grimaldi royal family? Only Alonso behaved with the right degree of respect.

Just hope the injured guys (Perez & Petrov) are OK.

--

RT Moderator 

Atzporsche:
    What are you talking about, Alonso and Button did amazing, they did well! Certainly not amazing.. this is Moncao, ie. car doesn't make a difference so much... Had they actually got their sh!t together for ones, either one could have won easily today. Especially considering RBR messed up their pit stop on both drivers and picked a risky strategy.

Vettel was also lucky at the end,  in the sense that had the race not been red-flagged, his disintegrating set of tyres might have allowed Alonso to catch him and perhaps pass him during the last 6 laps. During the red flag period they all had a chance for fresh rubber but Vettel benefited the most.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Atzporsche:

Vettel was also lucky at the end,  in the sense that had the race not been red-flagged, his disintegrating set of tyres might have allowed Alonso to catch him and perhaps pass him during the last 6 laps. During the red flag period they all had a chance for fresh rubber but Vettel benefited the most.

He was handed the Pole by luck, and then he was handed the victory. Just when his tires were going out, there is no way he would of been able to hold them off, and Alonso with nothing to loose was going to go for it either he finished or not, and Button right behind him. Unfortnately we were deprived of the show. I guess having the advatnage of a car far above everyone else's is not enough, the spoiled brat also gets the luck. Well, thats F1.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690535 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409793 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256044 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235283 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858465 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774749 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM