Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ordering a 918 Spyder + buying 997.2 Turbo S Edition Spyder

Hello,

a friend of mine is thinking of ordering a 918 Spyder and as well buying a 997.2 Turbo S Edition Spyder.

Do you think the 918 is worth the waiting time as well as the money for it?

I'm well aware that it's the successor of the Carrera GT which was in my opinion the best supersportscar at his time, but anyhow I'm not so shure about the 918...

My other question would be if you think that going for the (IMHO horrible) 997.2 Turbo S Edition Spyder is a good idea?

Would'nt it be better to go for one of the newest 991 at the end of the year instead of it?

I would rather suggest going for the new McLaren which would be available in Q1 2012...

I would highly appreciate if you would give me your opinion about it, many thanks in advance

Re: Ordering a 918 Spyder + buying 997.2 Turbo S Edition Spyder

just tell him to go for the 918 and skip the silly 997.2 which which is almost obsolete.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

@ intouch

Thanks for your quick reply, these were my thoughts as well, go for the 918 and either one of the first 991 or the MP4-12C.

BTW he owns already 458, Panamera Turbo S and a few more toys...

Personally, I would not order the 918. Too much prototype for my taste. One has to see whether this complex new technology mix results in extraordinary performance as well. Maybe the 918 is just a marketing trick.

If the car should turn out to be a "must have" your friend could still buy a new one on the open market Smiley Porsches are never rare - always available at or around MSRP.

@ MKSGR The deposit payment would be EUR 180k upfront when singning the contract, then again 180k when the production starts next year and the rest at delivery...

At the moment that car is the only super.performance car below EUR 1mio, the Pagani as well as the Bugatti are no options for him.

He's also into the new Aventador, but when you're ordering it now the delivery will be Q3 2012 (!!), therefore I would recommend him going for the 918 order and for the meantime order a McLaren or the 991.

Did you make already your testdrive of the Mclaren?

Not yet, unfortunately... I skipped the test drives in the UK given the disproportion between a 20-30 minutes drive and the travel time and effort required to get there. And the German dealers still have no own test cars Smiley

Chances are that the 918 will perform poorly or just on par compared to other super cars. I would not spend that much money for a risky venture like this. It will be no problem to buy a new 918 on the market if it is really a great car Smiley

@ MKSGR what other supercars would YOU go for?

There's no other on the market yet :-(

Lord_Driftalot:

@ MKSGR what other supercars would YOU go for?

There's no other on the market yet :-(

Is your friend more track oriented or does he drive on public roads most of the time Smiley I guess he does a lot of Autobahn driving as well?

Not tracl oriented at all, he just want to enjoy the car on public roads and having some fun whilst driving it.

As I posted already he owns a 458 and wants to trade it in after just a few kilometers (4.000km) to a 997.2 TT S PDK full options. IMHO I would'nt go for it as the 458 is really a great car and the swap doesn't make sense...

Before he had already a 997.1 TT Cabrio and a Scuderia, but not for long. ;-)

What woulf YOU go for? I also thought about a 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0, but honestly speaking he would't even bring it half to the limit, therefore he woulld'nt enjoy it as pure as it could be (as he only drives on public roads)

Why does he dislike the 458? That may provide an answer as to what is right for him. Obviously, money is not an issue.

--

@nberry He does'nt like the 458 as after a few km the gearbox had to be changed due to mechanical failure.

Money's no issue for him, he just loves cars and swaping them by time...

Lord_Driftalot:

@nberry He does'nt like the 458 as after a few km the gearbox had to be changed due to mechanical failure.

Money's no issue for him, he just loves cars and swaping them by time...

But then: he plans to go back to a 997TT after his (apparently positive) experience with his previous 997TT Cab... Sounds to me that he might be a "Porsche guy". Does he like convertibles?

if he just want to have fun on the road an SLS is a definite option imo.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

If I had all the money in the world, my garage would look like this(not in a particular order):

Lamborghini Aventador

Porsche Panamera Turbo S

Porsche 997 Turbo S

Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet

Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0

McLaren MP4-12C

Aston Martin Vantage S Roadster

Porsche 997 GT2 RS

Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible ISR

Lotus Evora S

Mercedes SLS

Mercedes C63 AMG

BMW 1M Coupe

Range Rover Supercharged

Cayenne Turbo

BMW X5 M

Audi RS 6 station wagon

Audi TT RS

Ferrari 599 GTO

Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

My garage would be huge, favorable under my house.  Some sort of Bat Cave for cars... 

I agree with MKGSR on the 918: Not much is known about this car's performance, we need to take everything for granted what Porsche marketing is telling us. Rumors indicate that the 918 is going to be an amazing car and a worthy successor to the Carrera GT but you know...hearsay, rumors...not the real deal, so we definitely have to wait for the 918 to show up on the street. This concept is too new to predict anything accurate regarding performance and driving fun, let alone collector's value.

As to the 997 Turbo S 918 Spyder Special Edition: If the guy likes the color combination(s), why not? The 997 Turbo S is an amazing car.  Especially if money isn't really a problem.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC, remind me not to give you the keys to the sweet shop!! LOL  You'd want them all!

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

@all many thanks for your answers

Right now I'm trying to help him organise an Aventatdor in Q3 2011 for him, I think if we can manage that, ge'll go for it by now.

As he owns already the 458 IMHO the 997.2 TT S doesn't make sense at all.

The SLS would also be an option as well, but still...it's a Mercedes

@RC your list is almost identical what mine would look like, esspecially the 997 GT2 RS and the 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 as well as the Panamera Turbo S and the McLaren would be my favorites (BTW I'm not Porsche-biased ) I would also consider a Nissan GTR Mk II as a must-have...

RC:

If I had all the money in the world, my garage would look like this(not in a particular order):

Lamborghini Aventador

Porsche Panamera Turbo S

Porsche 997 Turbo S

Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0

McLaren MP4-12C

Porsche 997 GT2 RS

Lotus Evora S

Mercedes SLS

Mercedes C63 AMG

BMW 1M Coupe

Range Rover Supercharged

Cayenne Turbo

BMW X5 M

Audi RS 6 station wagon

Audi TT RS

Ferrari 599 GTO

Ferrari 430 Scuderia

My garage would be huge, favorable under my house.  Some sort of Bat Cave for cars... 

are you listing MIKE's garage ?? SmileySmiley

--

intouch1:
    RC:

Lamborghini Aventador

Porsche Panamera Turbo S

Porsche 997 Turbo S

Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0

McLaren MP4-12C

Porsche 997 GT2 RS

Lotus Evora S

Mercedes SLS

Mercedes C63 AMG

BMW 1M Coupe

Range Rover Supercharged

Cayenne Turbo

BMW X5 M

Audi RS 6 station wagon

Audi TT RS

Ferrari 599 GTO

Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Smiley

The list would have been longer.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    intouch1:
    RC:

Lamborghini Aventador

Porsche Panamera Turbo S

Porsche 997 Turbo S

Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0

McLaren MP4-12C

Porsche 997 GT2 RS

Lotus Evora S

Mercedes SLS

Mercedes C63 AMG

BMW 1M Coupe

Range Rover Supercharged

Cayenne Turbo

BMW X5 M

Audi RS 6 station wagon

Audi TT RS

Ferrari 599 GTO

Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Smiley

Gents, this is the list of Mike's concierge. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    fritz:
    intouch1:
    RC:

Lamborghini Aventador

Porsche Panamera Turbo S

Porsche 997 Turbo S

Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0

McLaren MP4-12C

Porsche 997 GT2 RS

Lotus Evora S

Mercedes SLS

Mercedes C63 AMG

BMW 1M Coupe

Range Rover Supercharged

Cayenne Turbo

BMW X5 M

Audi RS 6 station wagon

Audi TT RS

Ferrari 599 GTO

Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Smiley

Gents, this is the list of Mike's concierge. Smiley

I thought maybe they were just the dealers' courtesy cars he has while some of his are in for a service. Smiley

--

fritz

Lord_Driftalot:

@ MKSGR The deposit payment would be EUR 180k upfront when singning the contract, then again 180k when the production starts next year and the rest at delivery...

At the moment that car is the only super.performance car below EUR 1mio, the Pagani as well as the Bugatti are no options for him.

He's also into the new Aventador, but when you're ordering it now the delivery will be Q3 2012 (!!), therefore I would recommend him going for the 918 order and for the meantime order a McLaren or the 991.

Did you make already your testdrive of the Mclaren?

The deposit scheme is correct, although pretty scandalous is you ask me.

But the right number is 150k euros, not 180. There has been a huge internal row with Porsche because some countries thought this number included VAT.

I'm loooking forward to the development of this car, I am sure Porsche will achieve something amazing.

And the whole buying process is cancelable at any time, even after the second deposit. In the meantime, Porsche is working with your cash, no comment...

Futch:

I'm loooking forward to the development of this car, I am sure Porsche will achieve something amazing.

I am a bit skeptical as far as the outcome of the 918 development process is concerned...

Somehow this hybrid concept has its roots in marketing/political ideas. The basic idea is to present a "highly fuel-efficient" sports car to the public. We all know that this marketing story is pure BS - the 918 will be far from being a fuel-efficient car (compared to how Green activists would define that).

Consequently, I am under the impression that the 918 will neither be ecologically correct nor will it meet the highest performance expectations - it might just be a compromise Smiley

The pessimistic side of me agrees with MKSGR - that this is a marketing driven product - but the car nut within me thinks this is a technology showcase. I want to believe it is the latter. The realist in me thinks it will be somewhere in between ...

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

MKSGR:

Consequently, I am under the impression that the 918 will neither be ecologically correct nor will it meet the highest performance expectations - it might just be a compromise Smiley

I expect it to be a very high performance car but using some "green"elements to produce part of this performance. There is also the question of the materials, chassis and the aerodynamics of the car. These must also break new ground in order to be accepted as a technological achievement and convince people to part from the large amount of money.

--

"Form follows function"

MKSGR:
    Futch:

I am a bit skeptical as far as the outcome of the 918 development process is concerned...

Somehow this hybrid concept has its roots in marketing/political ideas. The basic idea is to present a "highly fuel-efficient" sports car to the public. We all know that this marketing story is pure BS - the 918 will be far from being a fuel-efficient car (compared to how Green activists would define that).

Couldn't have said it better. Smiley

IMO the more interesting car will be the rumoured midengined supercar. In the new ams there's a short article about this car, which should be ready around 2015 and is said to have something like 600 hp. They also say Porsche dismissed their plans for a V8 Turbo and are now planning with a six cylinder boxer engine with turbos. Though I like V8s, the flat-six is THE Porsche engine par excellence. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Back to driftalots friend, how about a pagani then?
    IMO, the turbo wouldn't make sense, unless he really loved it. So I would suggest the McLaren, a Pagani or maybe the Aventador.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

MKSGR:
    Futch:

While I can certainly second that notion, I am inclined to believe that Porsche is in a much different situation now as it was during the development phase of the Carrera GT. Wiedeking is well known for setting up economical constraints under development and he is not an engineer... so I hope that Porsche´s situation and the people in charge will ensure that the 918 will become a success. They should be realistic enough to judge whether their proposition to launch an "ecological" supercar can be made valid. If one considers that even the 991 is supposed to be equipped with a KERS device then Porsche should have enough knowledge and experience gathered in this field during the [ongoing] development phase.

Regarding the original topic, is there any financial limit for a projected acquisition? In the foreseeable future, the Aventador must be the logical choice.

IMO the more interesting car will be the rumoured midengined supercar. In the new ams there's a short article about this car, which should be ready around 2015 and is said to have something like 600 hp. 

This car will be very interesting Smiley

Joost:

Back to driftalots friend, how about a pagani then?
    IMO, the turbo wouldn't make sense, unless he really loved it. So I would suggest the McLaren, a Pagani or maybe the Aventador.

Maybe I would go for a Carrera GT (Dirftalots friend seems to be focused on rare, exclusive cars, that's why), using the Carrera GT as a bridge while waiting for the McLaren to develop into a refined product.

In about 18 months time the McLaren might be an attractive buy. One could also consider the upcoming sports version of the McLaren - although this car will cost like Euro 700k, which might limit its attractiveness depending on individual taste Smiley

@all many thanks for all your input / answers!

Right now I / we're on either an Aventador or a MP4-12C, both with delivery in Q3 2011 (!!).

The "old" CGT as well as a Pagani are no options, as it still should be a DD...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM