Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Official Information Regarding New 911 (type 991) Introduction and More Thread Closed

Stefan, no doubt that is a valid concern. I was under the impression Ferrari allowed the driver to moderate the sound of the 458. Am I mistaken?Smiley

Nevertheless, I still would opt for an aggressive exhaust over a wimpish Porsche exhaust. Smiley

--

Re: Official Information Regarding New 911 (type 991) Introduction and More Thread Closed

Yes, to a certain extent you can moderate the sound of the 458. Depending on the position of the manettino the exhaust flaps open up earlier or later.

But IMO the real problem is a little bit different: it's a good thing, that you can drive this car relatively quiet, because not all of the time you want to hear (or let your neighbours hear) the trumpets of Jericho. But of course when driving a Ferrari, you sometimes want to hear something of the engine/exhaust. But if the flaps open up, the car gets that loud, that it may be just too much for one of the other, as I said above. Moreover the sound of the 458 is a bit too much sounded for my taste, a tad too artifical. That's why I compared it to the F355, which had the perfect sound for my ears. I also never understood owners - and there were plenty of them - who changed the exhaust of their F355 against some aftermarket "rocket launcher".

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

nberry:

Carlos, the standard 911 does not sound anything like a sport car. I the GT3 certainly does. The sport exhaust option is better but far from satisfactory.

If you say that a GT3 does sound like a sportcar, then you needt hear a Carrera with PSE, its louder, deeper growling, and sportier sounding than the GT3. Mind you the standard exhaust is different but the PSE on the Carrera is the least restricted of all 911 models.

--

i had PSE on my 06 c2 and it sounded amazing.  the car needed it in my opinion.

Carlos from Spain:
    nberry:

Carlos, the standard 911 does not sound anything like a sport car. I the GT3 certainly does. The sport exhaust option is better but far from satisfactory.

If you say that a GT3 does sound like a sportcar, then you needt hear a Carrera with PSE, its louder, deeper growling, and sportier sounding than the GT3. Mind you the standard exhaust is different but the PSE on the Carrera is the least restricted of all 911 models.

The PSE on the 997 does sound great (drove one yesterday), but a GT3 with modified exhaust (i.e. Sharkwerks bypass) sounds even better.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Grant:
    Carlos from Spain:
    nberry:

The PSE on the 997 does sound great (drove one yesterday), but a GT3 with modified exhaust (i.e. Sharkwerks bypass) sounds even better.

Absolutely, GT3 engine will always sound better ultimately given the nature of the engine, but we were talking about from factory.

--

well , comparing to my neighbors 997 S - the GT3 RS with it's Titan exhaust certainly is louder and certainly sportier sounding.....however, must admit his 911 SportClassic sounds cool ! Don't know if this as a just different tips to a 997 with PSE or if the SportClassic has a different exhaust entirely...

I also have the impression the SportClassic has more than only different tips, it seems to sound somehow 'darker' and more menacing than a PSE-equipped 997.2 S, might be the influence of the Powerkit though (haven't heared a GTS irl).

Any pics of your neighboor's SportClassic? Does he use it or is it more of a collectible?

My dealer currently sells a slightly used (1700 km) for under 179000 EUR, so I wouldn't really consider the value of this car as a collector's item too high. The Speedster may be a slightly different story but they are overpriced, thats for sure. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I know of two Speedster sitting in dealer's showrooms. Beautiful cars, especially the Blue, but when I stepped back there's more value  with a  Carrera 4 GTS in a paint to order.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

Confirmed: Next-gen Porsche 911 to use KERS throughout entire model range...

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/16/next-gen-porsche-911-to-use-kers-throughout-entire-model-range/

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Sorry   I checked this thread before posting the above, but just noticed there's a new thread on the KERS issue.  Mods.. please remove mine if you think fit... thanks.

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

I recently spent some time driving a 458.  Stunning car for sure.  But regarding its exhaust, I was a bit annoyed at the way the flaps opened and the sport exhaust just "came on" at a certain RPM.  It seemed a bit artificial, like a radio suddenly being turned on.  I prefer the more linear sound of PSE when it is turned on--the sound is always there, but it simply increases with the RPM. 

More rumors on the 991.

Report: Patent shows Porsche working on pop-up hood for next 911

Europe is a dangerous place to be a pedestrian. With crowded cities characterized by gridlock and narrow streets, you have to be on your game every second to avoid getting bowled over by a raging, overzealous motorist. All too often, that spells tragedy.

With one-sided car-on-human accidents on the rise, automakers are feeling increased pressure from their governments to make their cars safer, not just for the guy behind the wheel, but the guy they might hit.

Porsche is apparently working on a pop-up hood for the upcoming 911, which would raise up in the event of a collision with a pedestrian and, with any luck, reduce the severity of their injuries. The system works via a set of time delay-controlled actuators, which helps ensure that the system protects unfortunate passerby as effectively as possible.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/16/patent-shows-porsche-working-on-pop-up-hood-for-next-911/

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

KERS - see problems in F1 , pop-up hood's for pedestrians, 3.4 Liter base model.....oh boy....I would again rather buy a bulletproof 997..... 

Why the pop up hood for 911?

Conventional cars NEED a pop up hood in order to gain some clearance for the hood to deform, saving the person from hitting the hard engine block.

Last I check, it is EMPTY SPACE beneath the 911's hood, there is no engine block to bang your head on.

Whoopsy:

Conventional cars NEED a pop up hood in order to gain some clearance for the hood to deform, saving the person from hitting the hard engine block.

Last I check, it is EMPTY SPACE beneath the 911's hood, there is no engine block to bang your head on.

Front suspension top mounts, for example.

--

fritz

Or they could teach people not to jay walk....

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Atzporsche:

Or they could teach people not to jay walk....

For that to work in Europe they'd have spend a lot more money on roads, pavements, pedestrian zones, off-road parking, etc., to better separate motor vehicles and pedestrians while keeping both moving efficiently. It's much easier for legislators to force other people to spend money instead.

A lot of accidents involving pedestrians are a result of 21st century traffic being forced through towns and along roads laid out for the 19th century or earlier, and in some countries town planners still allow building in situations where it is obvious that residents' or visitors' vehicles can only be parked at the already overcrowded curbside. 

Can you tell that this is a pet obsession of mine? Smiley

--

fritz

Although pedestrian injuries/death are down from previous years, it still is a major problem. Here are some interesting facts;

Who is getting killed in pedestrian crashes?

A detailed breakdown of the age, gender, and location of pedestrian crash victims is available from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) fact sheets. Some of the more noteworthy trends or numbers are:

• 69 percent of pedestrian killed in 2009 were males.
    • Almost three out of every four pedestrian fatalities occur in urban areas (72 percent).
    • The top four states for pedestrian fatalities are California, Florida, Texas, and New York. These four states make up 41 percent of pedestrian fatalities nationwide while only accounting for 5 percent of the total traffic fatalities across the country.
    • Nearly one-half (48%) of all pedestrian fatalities occurred on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (16%, 17%, and 15% respectively), and 70% at night (4 p.m. - 4 a.m.).
    • Thirty-six percent of the 354 young (under age 16) pedestrian fatalities occurred in crashes between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.

--

nberry:
    • 69 percent of pedestrian killed in 2009 were males.
    • Almost three out of every four pedestrian fatalities occur in urban areas (72 percent).
    • The top four states for pedestrian fatalities are California, Florida, Texas, and New York. These four states make up 41 percent of pedestrian fatalities nationwide while only accounting for 5 percent of the total traffic fatalities across the country.
    • Nearly one-half (48%) of all pedestrian fatalities occurred on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (16%, 17%, and 15% respectively), and 70% at night (4 p.m. - 4 a.m.).
    • Thirty-six percent of the 354 young (under age 16) pedestrian fatalities occurred in crashes between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.

The only thing that surprises me among those facts is that Texas gets a mention. 

Didn't think there would be any pedestrians in Texas. Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:

The only thing that surprises me among those facts is that Texas gets a mention. 

In car parks perhaps Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    fritz:

In car parks perhaps Smiley

Sounds plausible.

Texas probably has parking lots as big as some European countries. Smiley

--

fritz

Whoopsy:

It has to do with where (specifically, at what height) the car hits the pedestrian, and how said pedestrian rotates or tumbles onto the car, and consequently where his/her head hits. 

My knowledge of the issue is very limited, but it would appear that cars that present a tall, straight front end to the pedestrian cause less injury (apparently, that is one reason for the higher front ends on the newer BMWs).

Sports cars with very low front ends are at a disadvantage wrt the regulations. That would explain the need for a pop-up hood. This is actually good news, cost and complexity aside. For the last several months, I've been wondering how ugly a higher, flatter front end would look on a Porsche, or on any mid/rear engined sports car for that matter...

Kamal

KMM:.
    For the last several months, I've been wondering how ugly a higher, flatter front end would look on a Porsche,

Easy, picture a 911 with a 7 series nose Smiley

fritz:

Sounds plausible.

Texas probably has parking lots as big as some European countries. Smiley

Oh, I just love US parking lots...amazing. Sometimes so huge that people hardly find their car(s). Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Machine Spaces - us urban planners have a deep hate for them. Arguably they are the most disgraceful visual spaces of the 21st century.

--

nberry:

I find it interesting that modern day Porsche's are not featured in the film clip. It speaks volumes about how Porsche has fumbled the ball regarding their sound exhaust systems.

This much I know. If the next generation of Porsche's sound the same as the present ones, I will look elsewhere.

--

Thank the various government agencies meddling in car design.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Atzporsche:

Machine Spaces - us urban planners have a deep hate for them. Arguably they are the most disgraceful visual spaces of the 21st century.

It depends on the content filling those spaces... Any Sunday Concours d'Élegance denies that statement. Besides, beauty is the eye of the beholder, isn't it?

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Where I live, in a large urban area, pedestrians that do not obey traffic lights and designated crosswalks are heavily fined.  A pedestrian that was killed even received a ticket, and my sister in law who was struck and broke her ankle, received a ticket. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688463 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408667 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255505 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234753 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65374 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857542 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773300 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM