Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Sports exhaust system for V6 Panamera models?

Hello, Rennteamers.

I suppose the title says it all: I'm wondering if any of you know or expect Porsche to release a sports exhaust system for its V6 Panamera models. One of my biggest turn offs to the current models are the fact that they lack this system; I enjoy the deeper growl once that magical little button is activated. [What can I say, I've been spoiled by my Boxster PDE2.]

Also, what do you think of the current tailpipe design on the V6 models? I hate the way they jut out from the car's rear; I think it'd look FAR more attractive if they were flush with the curvature of the underside, similar to the new Touareg models. Thoughts?

rulesdontapply 

Re: Sports exhaust system for V6 Panamera models?

RC? Anybody? rulesdontapply

Hello,

in the german conficurator you can order the sports exhaust system for the Panamera V6 now (2606,10 Euro)
    exhaust.jpg

Anyone else here thinks that kind of exhaus tips look ugly? 

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Same here - ugly  Smiley Smiley

Fully agree. The exhaust on the Panamera V6 looks totally out of place. The ONLY exhaust tips on the Panamera line that looks good is the 4 round ones on the Panamera 4S without PSE

--

Current: 997.2 C2S Meteorgrey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

he guys, this is an other option in the German configurator, only the tips are different no sports exhaust (an option of app 750 Euro) Do you like this better?

panamera exahaust 2.jpg

JR-550:

he guys, this is an other option in the German configurator, only the tips are different no sports exhaust (an option of app 750 Euro) Do you like this better?

Still a bit bold, but much better. Smiley

--

Porsche is the only sport car company that requires its buyers to buy a sport exhaust so that their sport car can sound like a sport car.Smiley 

--

nberry:

Porsche is the only sport car company that requires its buyers to buy a sport exhaust so that their sport car can sound like a sport car.Smiley 

Except on the 911 Turbo, that there is none available Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

Yes, this is kind of lame. Instead, Porsche should offer the PSE on all Porsche models as a standard option and let customers choose if they want to press the PSE button or not.

As always...Porsche knows how to make money but they also know how to annoy customers. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:
    nberry:

Yes, this is kind of lame. Instead, Porsche should offer the PSE on all Porsche models as a standard option and let customers choose if they want to press the PSE button or not.

As always...Porsche knows how to make money but they also know how to annoy customers. Smiley

IMO,Porsche standard equipment should have PSE, Sport Chrono, LSD, Telephone module and perhaps some other things. However, in that case the starting price would have been higher than what is now. In effect Porsche set a largely  notional lower price for their cars and let the buyer choose. If the buyer is an enthusiast he will definitely treat this as a theoretical price and add up. If OTOH the car is destined for someone's wife for example, why boost the price up with "unnecessary" for her extras?

--

"Form follows function"

If I am in the market for a 911, $10,000 one way or another will not make much difference as to whether I buy one. Other factors like sport exhaust, PDK, Sport Chrono, etc. would.

--

So, in the end  it amounts to the same thing. If $10000 is no object  for a buyer , he simply orders  the required features as optional extras.

The real problem would be, if the features were not available at all. The only such case I could think of,  is the sport exhaust on the 911 Turbo.

--

"Form follows function"

This isn´t new, Porsche has followed this sales strategy for decades. I also doubt that a regular buyer will appreciate the benefits of an LSD or Sport Exhaust. Additionally, why should they provide them as standard equipment if they are expensive to produce in the first place? Some customers disliked the items that came standard on certain models and markets such as the sunroof.

A sport car should sound like a sport car. Do you believe 911 buyers will decide not to buy a 911 because it has sport exhaust? I would argue the opposite is true. Many buyers may turn away from Porsche because it sounds like a pussy.Smiley 

--

In a cosmopolitan city like Washington, DC, I appreciate the quieter exhaust sound (with the option to press the sport exhaust button).  I had a sport exhaust on my 997 Carrera 2S, and used it only when I was on an open, fairly light traffic road.  I also had a Ruf exhaust on my modified 996 Turbo, and found myself trying to drive "quietly" much of the time in my neighborhood and to nice social events.  So I guess I put myself in the "wouldn't buy a Porsche if it only had a sport exhaust" category.  There is a time and place for sport exhausts, but not always the time and place for them...

nberry:

A sport car should sound like a sport car. Do you believe 911 buyers will decide not to buy a 911 because it has sport exhaust? I would argue the opposite is true. Many buyers may turn away from Porsche because it sounds like a pussy.Smiley 

The latter is only the case with the turbocharged models. Every other model is available with a [switchable] sport exhaust to adapt to the various needs as Wonderbar described. Still, there are people using these cars on 18 inch rims, with the standard suspension and exhaust, partially without sport chrono or full leather. Admittedly, Porsche´s motivation will be to earn additional money with each individual option but this obviously does not deter several customers to live without them...

A lot of people in Europe buy Porsche because of the understated looks. A sportexhaust is a head turner, not everybody want's that.

--

Cayenne S White/Espresso delivery Oct 2011

993Targa:

A lot of people in Europe buy Porsche because of the understated looks. A sportexhaust is a head turner, not everybody want's that.

+1 Smiley

--

You don't buy Porsche for its looks.Smiley You buy it for its performance and quality. Also, it you don't want the exhaust you either activate a mute button or have an option to order a "pussy exhaust".Smiley 

--

993Targa:

Exactly. During a testdrive with a 911 yesterday, I met an older(in the 50s) woman in a 997 C4S Cab. She was curious about the car I was driving and we started talking. The 911 I drove had the PSE and she heard it when I accelerated from the stop light. I asked her why she doesn't have one and she said that it is way too loud for her. Smiley So apparently there is a customer base who appreciates less noise, probably mostly people who buy a Porsche for other reasons than pure sportiness.

Like I said, I would make PSE, PDK, Sport Chrono Plus a no cost option and let customers decide if they want it or not.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

reginos:

The 991 Turbo gets a PSE option right from the start. Smiley

--

RC:

Like I said, I would make PSE, PDK, Sport Chrono Plus a no cost option and let customers decide if they want it or not.

But if you make it a no cost option, everyone orders it because it's for free (some exceptions for PDK because of the die-hard manual fans maybe). So that would be a financial loss. To avoid that, Porsche would "incorporate" the price for PSE , PDK, SC Plus into the base price right from the start, which would be a disadvantage for those people who don't want/need those options.

--

Do you really think that the production cost for PSE and Sport Chrono is really that high? The PSE cost would be the same as for the standard exhaust if they order the same amount of PSE from the OEM manufacturer and the Sport Chrono package is basically, if you ignore the wart on the dash, a software thingie. 

PDK is of course a different story.

--

RC:
    reginos:

The 991 Turbo gets a PSE option right from the start. Smiley

At last Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

Do you really think that the production cost for PSE and Sport Chrono is really that high? The PSE cost would be the same as for the standard exhaust if they order the same amount of PSE from the OEM manufacturer and the Sport Chrono package is basically, if you ignore the wart on the dash, a software thingie. 

PDK is of course a different story.

IMO the Porsche options policy is very good. The buyers picks and chooses according to his/hers criteria. I know someone who has a Tiptronic Boxster 987.1 without Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust, PCM, TPMS, Climate control (only normal A/C) and with 17" wheels. She loves the car as it is and doesn't care about any of the above options. So, why pay more? Why should Porsche raise the price and include options that a % of buyers don't care about?

The assumption that these options would be incorporated free of charge (because they don't cost much more) is not realistic because automotive pricing doesn't work like this. For example, a 911doesn't cost 80% more than a Boxster to produce and yet this is the selling price difference.

--

"Form follows function"

How many 918's do you think Porsche will sell if it has pussy exhaust sound? How many Ferrari's would they sell? Even AM, the ultimate GT has a luscious sound. 

--

nberry:

How many 918's do you think Porsche will sell if it has pussy exhaust sound? 

As many as there are pussies around Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

Do you really think that the production cost for PSE and Sport Chrono is really that high?

If you consider the additional components, required tooling, extended development timeframe and logistical requirements it does make a difference. On top of that, certain options require a separate legal verification.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM