Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

7 year maintenace package on new Ferraris

This is a first in terms of longevity of cover I believe and should hopefully encourage owners to use their cars more www.ferrari.com/English/Services/Aftersales/Pages/Genuine_Maintenance.aspx

From what I can gather the programme has been designed to anticipate one annual service each year during the seven years, but, as there is no mileage restriction, clients who reach the service intervals by mileage (every 12,500 miles) will be able to have their car serviced more than once per year.

Re: 7 year maintenace package on new Ferraris

Won't be long until the 4 horsemen are seen now I guess.

What is the upfront cost of the package for each model? Surely a good idea i think for Ferrari.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Maserati already introduced the same program but for only 5 years.

What Ferrari needs is a price protection package, not maintenance, in order for their owners to drive more.

Do Ferrari offer an Extended Warranty scheme?

--

"Form follows function"

There is no charge for the maintenance package. New Ferraris come with a 4 year warranty (in the UK at least) and this can be extended.

This sounds great - just, what would that Maintenance package cost?

Further on - prohibit me of dirving a Ferrari ist next to the costs the factor of image - which is not covered by any package.

So everything is really covered as far as maintenance and warranty are concerned. Ferrari are moving in the real world finally and compliments to them

BTW why are the 599 models excluded from the maintenance scheme?

--

"Form follows function"

Lars997:

Further on - prohibit me of dirving a Ferrari ist next to the costs the factor of image - which is not covered by any package.

IMO driving a GT Ferrari is very respectable in many places. Any image problem is with the sports M-E models, I think that are more ostentatious.

I don't think a FF or California could attract more negativity, if any at all, than a Bentley GT, for example.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    Lars997:

IMO driving a GT Ferrari is very respectable in many places. Any image problem is with the sports M-E models, I think that are more ostentatious.

I don't think a FF or California could attract more negativity, if any at all, than a Bentley GT, for example.

+1

The 599 is now "old tech" and will be replaced next year so the new model will gain the package as it shares it's engine with the FF. 599 sales now consist mainly of GTO models and those buyers most likely won't be put off by the lack of the maintenance plan.

ISUK:

The 599 is now "old tech" and will be replaced next year so the new model will gain the package as it shares it's engine with the FF. 599 sales now consist mainly of GTO models and those buyers most likely won't be put off by the lack of the maintenance plan.

I wouldn't mind an "old tech" 599 GTB Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I may be a little slow today but I honestly do not know what it is they are covering.Smiley The only thing I know is whatever it is it is for seven years and applies to subsequent owners. 

Iain, can you help me out?Smiley

--

"The programme covers the workmanship for the programmed maintenance along with the relative original spare parts, engine oil and brake fluid. " Is this the same as a 7 year warranty? If so it makes Ferrari a lot more competitive and would help resale values.

From what I understand it covers scheduled (annual or according to mileage) work and materials, only. Therefore, it doesn't amount to an extended warranty

--

"Form follows function"

It covers the labour and parts required for all routine service work Nick including all fluids and lubricants. Wear and tear items like tyres are not covered. It still amounts to a substantial cost saving for an owner and will give used buyers real peace of mind as it transfers with any change in ownership.

ISUK:

It covers the labour and parts required for all routine service work Nick including all fluids and lubricants. Wear and tear items like tyres are not covered. It still amounts to a substantial cost saving for an owner and will give used buyers real peace of mind as it transfers with any change in ownership.

Very very Smart move from Ferrari Smiley

ISUK:

So the question still unanswered in most people's minds is, what happens in the event of a failure which could not normally be put down to "wear and tear"?

For example, a transmission fails after 5 years / 30,000 miles, and the failure cannot be demonstrated to be due abuse on the part of the driver. That would not be what would be thought of as normal wear and tear where most cars and most owners are concerned. 
    Would Ferrari automatically pick up the tab under the maintenance package, or would the owner be left to carry the burden in the absence of an extended warranty? Smiley

PS:  OK, I've just read the Ferrari release which was linked to above, including the statement:

"The advantage to the owner is the assurance that the vehicle will be subject to regular annual inspection by Ferrari trained personnel using factory-approved dedicated diagnostic equipment."

So all it really means is that the minimum maintenance costs of the car for the first 7 years (labour, oils and filters) are effectively included in the up-front purchase price. All other costs not covered by the current warranty will still be charged to the owner, so this new arrangement does nothing to eliminate the potential financial risk of major premature failures for the owner.
    Since it was always up to the owner to take his car to a dealer to have service work carried out anyway, the talk of "assurance that the vehicle will be subject to regular annual inspection by Ferrari trained personnel ...., etc" is effectively just meaningless marketing-babble.

--

fritz

Effectively it's to scam new buyers to purchase a Ferrari. My mom signed a deal on her Ford like this. Paid $1000 for 3 years worth of service, basic fluids and whatnot. Well news flash, this only costs $100 if you do it yourself. I market the oil cap before taking it in and i am pretty sure no one even touched it.. Of course any and all mechanical problems still require payment in parts and labor from the dealer.. It puts some people at ease, but it's not much more than a marketing instrument to draw more buyers.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

How can it be a scam? Ferrari aren't charging owners anything for it unlike the Ford package you quoted or Mini's TLC package, BMW's service package etc which are additional cost to a new car buyer. If you have any idea of how expensive the standard service costs for a Ferrari are then you'd realise this is a great offer. The first annual service on my California was £750 and that was with a discount. It was also a minor service so a major would be at least double this cost. These dealerships have large overhead costs to recover so their hourly workshop labour rates are high as a result.

Over 7 years you could be looking at routine servicing costs of anywhere between £10k - £15k so for no increase in the base price of the cars to now get this for free is excellent news IMHO. Many people who buy these cars used do so using finance and are usually on a tight budget so worry about running costs. Just read any forum where prospective buyers are asking how much a Ferrari will cost them in planned maintenance. Under this scheme someone buying a 3 year old car will have this element of cost removed so will be more likely to buy the car.

Fritz,

Your gearbox example is somewhat extreme as no manufacturer could afford to simply pick up costs like that so far out of warranty. Look at the ridiculous situation Porsche had with rear main seals on the 986/996 that carried on into the early 987/997 models. A lot of customers suffered relatively heavy bills to rectify this basic issue out of warranty. In some instances Porsche did make goodwill contributions provided that the cars had been serviced to schedule within the dealer network which I regard as fair. It's also far more likely for older cars to suffer from driver abuse as they fall into the hands of less experienced or more aggressive drivers. I've lost count of the number of threads I've read on sites like Pistonheads with younger guys complaining about clutch wear etc. In most cases it turns out that they have shortened the clutch life due to bad driving techniques or doing track days and not doing warm up or cooling down laps etc.

Iain, I am with Fritz on this one. When I read the announcement, it left me wondering whether Ferrari was extending its warranty for seven years or was Ferrari only covering basic maintenance? 

Anyone buying a Ferrari should expect to pay higher than normal ORDINARY maintenance cost. As you rightly indicated, because of the small number of cars being serviced, the dealer cost are relatively high and he must recoup them.

When subsequent buyers concern themselves with the cost of USED Ferrari's, I don't believe it is related to ORDINARY maintenance. Their concern is with items that are outside ordinary maintenance. The reason for their concern is Ferrari's reputation for being a very temperamental car subject to frequent breakdowns. This concern IS NOT addressed with the new maintenance policy of Ferrari.

That said, anytime any car manufacturer gives owners something for nothing is always good. FWIW, my Porsche dealer pays for all oil change costs as long as I own the car.

--

Nick,

If you'd rather happily throw away the best part of what must be $20-30k on routine service work on your side of the pond then you are more frivolous than I    I'd happily save that amount and use it towards any items not covered by the plan or warranty where necessary. Most used buyers DO worry about annual routine service costs due to the high sums involved. Just read Fchat, Ferrarilife or some of the UK based Ferrari websites to see that. With this new package coupled to the DCT transmissions and extended warranty over that is readily available now from Ferrari, owners will be covered for nearly everything apart from driver abuse/negligence to the drivetrain over that 7 year period. That's going to be a comforting thought to used buyers who may have the car for the last 3 or 4 years of this package.

BMW and Audi include 4 years maintenance with new vehicles in N/A at no additional cost (that you can see). It's interesting to note that at least in the case of BMW, the manufacturer creates these deals and pays only 50% of dealer labour costs, sticking dealers with the other 50%. Since this is seen to be a selling point, the manufacturer feels that the dealer should eat some of the costs too, even though they don't get a say in the program. I wonder how Ferrari has handled this?

Iain, I have no idea where your $20-30k came from. In all the years of my ownership of Ferrari's, maintenance cost on any required maintenance never exceeded $4500. Usually after the first year or 5000 miles, it was $1100, The next required was 15000 miles and that was closer to $2000.

In the US, the major deterrent to buying a used Ferrari is the unknown breakdown which invariably results in prohibitively expensive repairs. Ordinary Ferrari maintenance is not an issue.

FWIW, over 95% of those that participate on Ferrarichat are not or never have been Ferrari owners. In other words, they have no idea as to what they are posting.Smiley

--

How long a period was the $4500 accumulated over Nick? Ferrari servicing is either annual or mileage based, whichever comes soonest, so over 7 years those bills quickly mount up even if you do few miles but want to keep the service history intact for future resale value.

Sorry ISUK, I was under the impression this was a purchase option at extra charge. No if what you say it is just incorporated into the MSRP than that is a great offer and move from Ferrari. Certainly, i can only imagine how fast the maintenance costs run up for an F car with high shop rates and expensive parts..

I think this is a great deal from Ferrari and it will draw more buyers as it take care of just that, unknown expensive maintenance costs.

--

reginos:
    Lars997:

I 100 % agree and I have to admit that I was talking only about my own personal situation, living in Germany in a conservative business field where it would be unthinkable to take a Ferrari to work.

I respect that many other countries are more open to this and also a Ferrari is an very respectable car. So I didnt want to offend anyone - sorry if I did!

The longest I kept a Ferrari was my last one which was almost three years and 15,000 miles. I believe the cost of maintenance was a total of $2200.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great Ferrari is trying to help owners with maintenance and resale. it just isn't that much more than many other car manufacturers are offering. It is good that Ferrari is "catching up". 

--

nberry:

The longest I kept a Ferrari was my last one which was almost three years and 15,000 miles. I believe the cost of maintenance was a total of $2200.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great Ferrari is trying to help owners with maintenance and resale. it just isn't that much more than many other car manufacturers are offering. It is good that Ferrari is "catching up". 

Come on Nick, cut Ferrari some slack. We all know that they didn't even have to offer such a program cause they'll sell anyways.

Over here The 10000 km service alone costs more than $ 2.200. It's a great way to save up some cash.

Also, as I said before Maserati started offering the same program in late 09 but only for 5 years. It did very well especially for resale value.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690362 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409670 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255924 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235171 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65637 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858338 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774591 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM