Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 Thread Closed

@nberry, @Rossi: thanks guys - yeah, it's been 85-95F all the way through our stay so far. I'm loving the heat ;)

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

gemballa avalanche = hideous

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

Show me an attractive Gemballa!

--

"Form follows function"

Wonderbar:

monaco masters 021.jpgWith all the talk of what spoiler the 991 will have, I thought I would post a pic of what it should not have.  This is the rear of the Gemballa Avalanche, seen outside my hotel in Monaco two weeks ago.  As my daughter would say "OMG!"

Thanks for the picture - the car (give the number plate) very probably belongs to the new owner of Gemballa living partly in Monaco (BB - stands for Böblingen in Germany - the area of the Gemballa shop/office). By the way, the new owner crashed two weeks ago a new Pagani Zonda R..was also a story in some German newspaper..

Ah, but the 991 will definately not lok like this...big wings and spoilers are socially not acceptable anymore..- although I dont agree...

Why  are the letters/numbers on the plate in red? This denotes a special license?

--

"Form follows function"

Red plates [starting with 06] are for car dealerships. Insurance and liability are linked to the plate, not to the car.

I heard a rumor that the original owner of Gemballa got "rubbed out" by the mafia.  Any truth to that?

Ferdie:

Red plates [starting with 06] are for car dealerships. Insurance and liability are linked to the plate, not to the car.

Thank you!

--

"Form follows function"

julia gorges.jpg

Now this is the type of spoiler every Porsche needs.  Julia Gorges receiving the winner's trophy at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix...

Wonderbar - not sure about the truth. Uwe Gemballa was wanted for tax evasion. I read one report that said he fled to South Africa, and another that read he was kidnapped. Then another saying he was possibly killed. I then read another one - yep that is 4 different stories thus far.. saying he staged the kidnapping and linking it all back to the tax evasion in Europe.

As of that, i've not come across anything since... I must take this point to add... everything from Gemballa (except for the 996 Gemballa exhaust systems) seems to be absolute rubbish. Here in Oman, every damn 911 is butchered... oops, sorry "modified" ... with Gemballa stuff, that in my opinion, would be better suited to some Jap-rice-box-boy-racer-drift vehicle with little blue LEDs adorning the window washer squirt jets.

--

Current steeds in the stable include: Porsche 996/911 (2004) '40 Jahre' Anniversary - 363bhp, Porsche-VW 914 (1973) 1.7 - 78bhp, Volkswagen Tiguan (2008) 2.0TFSi - 200bhp, Volkswagen Touareg (2009) V6 - 280bhp, Volkswagen Golf Mk3 (1993) VR6 - 189bhp

We have discussed Gemballa´s disappearance in a separate thread, unfortunately with a tragic outcome.

intouch1:

+1 - horrendous!

Wonderbar:

julia gorges.jpg

Now this is the type of spoiler every Porsche needs.  Julia Gorges receiving the winner's trophy at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix...

Yep - she won a GTS, but she had real trouble to drive it out of the tennis court. She rather would learn to drive before winning such cars and embarrasses herself while driving it out! Smiley

well, there are more beautiful girls in Porsches than this tennis player..Smiley...lets stick with the subject of the 991..

Ah, an interesting quote from Andreas Preuninger from the German "Porsche Fahrer Magazin (Issue 1 2011,page 15) regarding NBR times and the GT2RS: "die Luft ist so dünn unter der 8 Minuten Marke, da ist sowas (= here her refers to a sentence from his previous sentence - not in this quote -but he mentions there an improvement of the GT2RS of 7 seconds - more than expected) schon ein Riesensprung"..

Basically it means that below 8:00 a 7 second improvent is a massive leap forward..

reginos:
    intouch1:

Show me an attractive Gemballa!

Indeed.

J.Seven

Wonderbar:

monaco masters 021.jpgWith all the talk of what spoiler the 991 will have, I thought I would post a pic of what it should not have.  This is the rear of the Gemballa Avalanche, seen outside my hotel in Monaco two weeks ago.  As my daughter would say "OMG!"

To which I would add "WTF!"

--

"We all love the music. What we hope is that the music loves us." -- Tom Waits

+1 to the ugliness of gemballa :)

any new spoiler pics of the 991?

Wonderbar:

monaco masters 021.jpgWith

Tasteless

and just see the wing setting - somehow hard to believe that this car still gets some pressure on the front axle - ins't that stupid?

when will we see some new 991 spy pics...it seems like it's been a long, long time!

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

RC:

This is actually an interesting story. According to press reports, the official introduction of the 991 is going to be at the Frankfurt Autoshow in September but according to our sources, first cars will be at german dealers around June/July, before the Autoshow. This is actual the usual time frame for new 911 introductions.

So if the 991 is going to be delivered to dealers over here around June/July, the pre-production should start around...now.

What many people don't know: Porsche can build the 997 and the 991 on the same production line, just how they please. So expect the 991 introduction shortly after 997 Black Edition production finishes, earliest in May 2011, latest in July 2011.

I also think that the official announcement regarding the 991 will be in March, latest early April.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

... the "latest early April" ... and now it's almost May!  And no "official announcement"... what do you think is going on?  Smiley

i must say your post RC (on Jan 25)  got me really excited, and have been looking forward to March/early April since.  Curious your take on what's happening.  Thanks.

Guy:

I do think though that outside of the fan forums and petrolheads that really very very few people who buy these cars (458 vs McL vs 911) care or even know about NBR times.

Smiley In real life NBR times are as irrelevant as Vmax for 95% of the buyers - sadly they are just dead numbers on paper for them. And "knowing about NBR times" means driving there. Only then one will really know  what a 10 sec gain over an already fast laptime means - just learning some numbers by heart is not the same as "knowing".

Unfortunately only a minority of Porsche owners (or owners of any other sportscar for that matter) have easy access (geographically) to the NoS.

The vast majority of the lucky few who have easy access to the NoS show up in one of these awesome 911 with the GTX/RS model designation on the rear lid. That's the reason why I call the GT3/RS "the Golf of the Nordschleife" Smiley - Porsche's GT-models are almost a mass appearance on the famous toll road (as opposed to any other place), because they are fast and extremely reliable and these cars suit this track like a glove Smiley Only Monday this week it came to my mind again, when I used a break to observe the lines of the other drivers at Pflanzgarten: in about 10 minutes time only I counted 25 Porsche GTX/RS plus another 10 Carrera/Cayman/Boxster  Smiley Sometimes I'm even bored with all the GT3s on the track (...did I really say this ?  Smiley) because once in a while I would prefer to play a bit with a Ferrari or Lambo, but (with very few exceptions) they either don't show up at all or they just cruise around the track.

Back to the laptimes discussion: in case of the GTX/RS cars it's relatively easy to verify lap times claimed by the marketing department, by Sport Auto or any other source. Why ? Simply because there is enough statistic  evidence - with hundreds of GTX/RS owners frequently tracking their cars at NBR or HHR there are quite some talented and experienced drivers who are able to go the same speed as the factory drivers - hence there are more than enough reference laps which can be used as a "marketing-free" yardstick Smiley That's very different for the more "exotic" sportscars - if only one enthusiast shows up in his McLaren once a year how meaningful is the laptime ? Smiley

@ a928: very nice to "meet" you here on RT Smiley As per my definition you have easy access to the NoS and you own a beautiful GT3 - what about enjoying the real thing instead of crunching numbers ? Smiley

As for the 991: I love the "old" Mezger engine in my GT3 but I'm sure Porsche will fit the 991 GT-models with a race worthy engine (whatever the technical solution will look like).

Porsche simply cannot afford to stuff a non track worthy engine into the GT-models.

The odometer of my baby turned the funny number of 55,555 km just a couple of days ago (by chance it happened somewhere near Nürburg Smiley) and the engine still feels and sounds very healthy (mind you, total mileage includes some 25,000 km on the track...).

I'm quite sure that the big difference between 997 GTX/RS and their 991 successors won't be reliabilty or race worthiness, but "driveability" (as it always has been : 997.2 GT3 easier to drive than 997.1 GT3 easier to drive than 996.2 GT3 easier to drive than 996.1 GT3 easier to drive than 964 RS....).

And in the easy to drive (at the limit) department the longer wheelbase, wider track and the slightly frontward moved engine will make the big difference.

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Great comment, PJ! I just thought about the very same, the solidity of the GT2 and GT3 models is virtually unmatched. At least I cannot think of any other brand or model that would offer the same solidity combined with proper performance for a reasonable price.

Driving almost half of the car´s mileage on racetracks... Smiley

@P-J: very good post from a NBR Kenner.

As to the worries about the GT1 engine replacement being weak and fragile, IMO these are unfounded. The primary role of these engines is for GT racing and as such they have to be at least as strong as the outgoing engines.  They just find their way into the road GT cars for homologation purposes and for making that extra profit from the 911 range. But they are made primarily for racing.

--

"Form follows function"

Ferdie:

Driving almost half of the car´s mileage on racetracks... Smiley

Some track buddies have close to 100,000 km on the clock, thereof 50% NoS Smiley and their toys still go strong. I guess other cars simply would disintegrate Smiley My "race engineer" checked all the suspension components just last week again and told me everything still looks/works very well. Though I may replace the wishbones and tie rods somewhere in the near future just for peace of mind after I experienced a friend's 996 GT2 disappearing into a dust cloud just in front of me at Eschbach due to a broken suspension part (fortunately an extremely rare sight for any Porsche).
    The only other brand (for me) which builds affordable track worthy cars out of the factory (though very different concept) is Lotus - ask Gauss Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

I guarantee when Porsche developed the 9A1 they had racing in their minds as the top priority.

New video!!! 

Loving even more this car!!!! Can`t wait to see it in real!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAVwsY4jK2o

Great find pjd...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Cheers pjd! Great vid

That cabrio is looking awesome!

this wait is killing me. it sounds very promising! thanks for the vid.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Thanks PJD...The engine sounds great...

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM