Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren MP4-12C GT3 racing car: official press release...

That engine note is downright boring...

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I have a video too that i have not posted yet. Not as good but you can hear the sound better. RealZeus the sound i assure you is very loud and not bad at all. CAnt hear it on that video, maybe car was in sport mode..?

Thanks for the review and insights GT... Really enjoyed reading it.

I'm going to the Australian launch in this car in Sydney in a couple of weeks. I still can't decide whether to order one. I have my concerns with it being first year production like many have said. Also 991 being released soon makes me think I should wait and see. Yeah I know they are different type of cars but I may keep my GT3 if I buy a 991.

Click to enlarge.

>8^)
    ER

OMG Smiley I'm drooling... Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Peloton25:

Click to enlarge.

>8^)
    ER

NIce work Peloton25   SmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

Very nicely made pictures!

However, there is something missing from the design of the car. Very generic shape without a strong identity. If the 458 Italia gets 8.5 out of 10 and the Audi R8 7/10, this barely touches 5.5/10 Smiley It could have been something from Lotus or even Noble.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    It could have been something from Lotus or even Noble.

Well, it's British, isn't it? Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Regino, you have to drive it mate!  For Porsche lovers (See efficient performance) this is a quantum leap ahead.

The design is missing sth but with careful options this car actually looks the business.. 

Such a  technical masterpiece should have been covered with a more distinguished body, though. I'm sure it drives beautifully but in this segment looks count for a lot.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Such a  technical masterpiece should have been covered with a more distinguished body, though. I'm sure it drives beautifully but in this segment looks count for a lot.

Fully agree Reginos. For instance, I like the new M5 design, very simple, a 520D with M-Packet looks almost the same as the M5, yet you have +560Hp and a hell o a car to play with. In this segment I like a plain simple look without any drama to it, under the foot you have + 560Hp that you can play everyday, but on the road it passes like a vulgar daily driver Diesel, no one notice you, but on McLaren class looks counts A LOT indeed and McLaren failed completly on this deparment.

J.Seven

Guys actually saw mp4 parked next to 997.2tt in the factory parking lot. MP4 looks a lot nicer and has more presence..

So yes it does not look as exotic as an 458 for example (for those who like the 458..) but lets not get carried away. This is still a good looking car and with the right options can be made to look pretty exclusive too.

GT:

Guys actually saw mp4 parked next to 997.2tt in the factory parking lot. MP4 looks a lot nicer and has more presence..

So yes it does not look as exotic as an 458 for example (for those who like the 458..) but lets not get carried away. This is still a good looking car and with the right options can be made to look pretty exclusive too.

The only thing I really care about is if it is as fast as the GT2RS (or faster) Smiley

I could not make it to the UK for the first test drives (does not make much sense to invest an entire day just to drive a car for 20mins...). However, I am very interested in dribving the McLaren on German roads in early May.

The Sporauto Supertest will tell the truth about the performance level of this car Smiley 

Yes it is, and it can easily become a lot faster.. Otherwise I wouldn't be considering it! Lol 200 in 8.9 seconds and 300 in 24.5sec is comprehensively faster. Nbr time should be faster too as the suspension is different league for such a track. Is it more fun to drive though? That I don't know.. When is AMS test out anyway?

GT:
    Yes it is, and it can easily become a lot faster.. Otherwise I wouldn't be considering it! Lol 200 in 8.9 seconds and 300 in 24.5sec is comprehensively faster. Nbr time should be faster too as the suspension is different league for such a track. Is it more fun to drive though? That I don't know.. When is AMS test out anyway?

Chances are quite significant that that the NBR time might be quicker - not 100% sure though as the GT2RS does set quite an ambitious benchmark...

Also, the performance on a GP style track would be interesting to compare. In summary, I am VERY interested in the SportAuto test! Hopefully, we can read the Supertest within the next four months Smiley

GT:

24,5s for 0-300km/h is the final official number ? I know EVO only mentioned that one prototype got this number once in a test.

Official claims for 1/4mile and 1000m with trap speeds indicate 0-300kmh in 27-29s. Same goes for the acceleration video McLaren released in February (the one with 200-300+ speedo view pull).

Anyway, looking forward to independent tests. Any idea when they are coming ? British should be out soon right ?

Enmanuel:

Official pics of the race version...

1300077424289670x377Image.jpg

670x377Image1.jpg

1300077477457670x377Image2.jpg

1300077508783670x377Image3.jpg

1300077529181670x377Image4.jpg

1300077553394670x377Image5.jpg

1300077581666670x377Image6.jpg

1300077610190670x377Image7.jpg

1300077638479670x377Image8.jpg

1300077663330670x377Image9.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

MKSGR:

Chances are quite significant that that the NBR time might be quicker - not 100% sure though as the GT2RS does set quite an ambitious benchmark...

I very much hope the driver who lost the car while going for a time attack at the Nordschleife, is O.K.

Must have been a crash at highspeed:

http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=231:unconfirmed-mclaren-mp4-12c-crash-at-the-nurburgring&catid=53:spy-shots&Itemid=300089

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:
    MKSGR:

I very much hope the driver who lost the car while going for a time attack at the Nordschleife, is O.K.

Must have been a crash at highspeed:

http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=231:unconfirmed-mclaren-mp4-12c-crash-at-the-nurburgring&catid=53:spy-shots&Itemid=300089

OUCH! Smiley

--

fritz

McLaren MP4-12C review and road test by Auto Express...

“In acceleration to 125mph, the McLaren blows rivals away. The Ferrari 458 does it in 10.4 seconds; it takes 8.9 seconds”

From the firm that brought you the legendary F1 comes an incredible all-new supercar – a machine that’s been personally signed off by Formula One drivers Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button. The MP4-12C has been designed to translate McLaren’s winning ways from race circuit to road, and Auto Express has driven it!

The company has enjoyed incredible success in the grand prix world, securing 12 drivers’ titles and eight constructors’ crowns since 1966. Now, with the formation of McLaren Automotive – under Sir Ron Dennis – it’s also determined to take on Ferrari away from the racing arena.

As you’d expect, McLaren Automotive, like the F1 team, is not a company that does things by halves. Before we got in the car, Dennis told us we should prepare ourselves for “the best handling sports car in history”. 

It might seem easy to be sceptical, but throughout the full range of driving conditions we experienced – dry track, damp track, on good and bad local roads – we came away knowing that McLaren has achieved a significant breakthrough.

Firstly, it has succeeded in bringing the kind of technology that would more usually be seen in a £500,000 supercar into one that costs £168,500. For example, the MP4-12C features a MonoCell chassis, which is made entirely of carbon fibre, weighs only 75kg and is more rigid than anything available from Ferrari or Porsche. 

If an owner ever has an accident, repairs are relatively simple. The front and rear aluminium structures bolt on and off, and the composite and aluminium exterior panels are easily replaced and cost considerably less than the carbon-fibre alternative. 

The beautifully engineered cantilever wing doors look fantastic, but it’s the McLaren ProActive Chassis Control (MPCC) that steals the show. While many manufacturers offer adaptive systems, this revolutionary set-up puts the McLaren ahead of its rivals. 

On the left of the narrow centre console is a dial marked ‘H’ (for handling), which allows you to switch the suspension, steering and electronic stability control between Normal, Sport and Track modes. A similar dial on the right wears a ‘P’ (for powertrain), and it has the same modes to tweak the response of the gearshifts and engine, plus manage the sound of the powerplant in the cabin.

On the move, the MP4-12C is incredible. With no assistance from any heavy, stiffening cross braces fore or aft, the adaptive dampers, with electro-hydraulic roll control, provide the cornering ability of an Ariel Atom. You can feel every part of the tyres’ tread pattern squirming and gripping the road. There no nosedive or rear squat, either.

But this system doesn’t detract from B-road comfort, especially if you switch the H and P dials to Normal. When cruising, the MPCC dampers offer a super-smooth ride, too. 

The new 3.8-litre bi-turbo V8 is breathtaking. It delivers 592bhp at 7,000rpm and 600Nm of torque. Combine that with a kerbweight of only 1,301kg (the Ferrari 458 Italia tips the scales at 1,380kg), and performance is simply sensational.

McLaren claims the MP4-12C can sprint from 0-62mph in 3.1 seconds – and we believe it. In slippery conditions on a Portuguese test track, with the launch control switched on, we recorded a time of 3.5 seconds. 

Where the McLaren blows its rivals away, though, is in acceleration to 125mph. The 458 takes 10.4 seconds, but in its hottest trim, the MP4-12C does it in 8.9 seconds – only the far more expensive Bugatti Veyron faster. These numbers beat even Ferrari’s best Enzo, too. The newcomer’s 6.1-second 0-100mph time is faster than McLaren’s original, more powerful F1 road car – a testament to the traction control and slick seven-speed gearbox. 

The MP4-12C’s fuel efficiency and emissions are unbeatable in this class. It puts out less CO2 per horsepower than a Toyota Prius hybrid! Perhaps the only feature that’s missing is the noise – the MP4-12C’s angry-but-smooth V8 sounds far more clinical and refined than a screaming Ferrari 458 Italia. 

Thanks to the large carbon ceramic brakes on our car, and the spectacular rear Air Brake flap, stopping power is superb. The handling is awesome, too. In addition to MPCC, the MP4-12C gets McLaren’s rear-wheel Brake Steer system – which brakes the inside wheel, if necessary, to keep you on course. On the exit of tight bends, Brake Steer then also jumps in to minimise time-wasting wheelspin. The result? The MP4-12C always goes where you aim it.

The seven-speed Seamless Shift Gearbox is always up to the task, too. Paddleshifts are silky smooth and rapid, while Pre-Cog – an F1 feature that pre-selects the next ratio – eliminates any hesitation, making for instantaneous gearchanges. 

Visibility is good, and the McLaren is easy to live with on a daily basis. It’s slightly smaller than a Ferrari 458, although cabin space is plentiful and there’s a 144-litre load area. 

In this first partial year of MP4-12C manufacture, 1,000 units will come from the firm’s factory in Woking, Surrey, to satisfy all world markets. In the UK, there’s now an 18-month waiting list, with the first cars scheduled to be delivered in May. Expectant owners can watch their model being built day after day via the Internet if they choose. 

After delivery, the McLaren Owner Experience will help the lucky few stay fortunate and fast on track days. The MP4-12C is a remarkable product from a remarkable company. It distils the values of the McLaren brand – technological expertise, efficiency and sheer speed – into a stunningly useable package. 

Our only criticism is that it’s a little lacking in character, in the way it looks and sounds. Still, never before has so much performance been so accessible. This is a worthy successor to the original F1, and a fantastic way to launch a new company. 

Rival: Ferrari 458 Italia

Our favourite supercar of 2010 is still the champ, at least until we can officially drive the McLaren in the UK. The 458 Italia is the definition of mid-engine V8 high performance, and looks great. This is set to be a battle royal.

McLaren-MP4-12C_AutoExpress-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

McLaren MP4-12C video preview by Fifth Gear...

Smiley SmileySmiley

Lifted from a post on FerrariChat

"Just got home to find latest issue of EVO on the doorstep. Full test, 5 drivers, 5 days, 6 cars, 1000 miles and a track. (quite a mixture of cars)
    MP4 12C
    458 Italia
    Merc SLS
    911 Turbo S
    Ford GT
    Noble M600

To cut 35 page report to the final decision. Overall - Best car 458. Also scoring 5 out of 5 - SLS, GT, Noble, 4 out of 5 911 and MP4.

0-30 1st 911, 2nd MP4, 3rd 458
    0-60 1st MP4, 2nd 911, 3rd 458
    0-100 1st MP4, 2nd joint 911 and 458

Track Times - Now here is the shock!!! - Bedford Autodrome.
    1st 458 - 1.19.3
    2nd MP4 - 120.6

MP4 team then fitted corsa tyres - still second - 1.19.6

McLaren sent full complement of engineers for the track test - more than Ferrari did according to the article.

MP4 weight as tested with Carbon brakes (IRIS not functional) - 1433 kg
    458 weight as tested - 1469kg

General comment, no tester chose MP4 as favourite, great to drive at 5/10th's with perfect ride and muted sound and also great at 10/10 th's, but most importantly not rewarding between these ranges where most of the time they will be driven. Brakes slated (carbon), seems similar to Merc SLR, all or nothing with no feel.

458 is faster on track!!!!!!!!!!"

I don't know what has happened since the initial reviews suggesting that the Mclaren was a game changer but that is now 4 UK magazines that have compared the MP4 12C to the 458 and awarded it second place - Autocar, AutoExpress, EVO and Top Gear. All indicate that the Mclaren is a fantastic car but that it is fairly sterile in how it goes about it's business. I always feared that it would be a mightily fast R8 type car which is supremely capable but lacks the drama and excitement that a Ferrari or Lamborghini are capable of producing even when you are not driving all out. Ron should have left a bit of rawness in the mix IMHO.

McLaren... 2nd best F1 team! That just about sums it up! 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Ferrari Italia "special car magazine edition" perhaps!

Just accept the facts lads! 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

hmmm that 458 came in about 100 kgs lighter than most other independent magazines weighed customer cars.

I smell a rat I am afraid.. and we've heard it all before re ferrari provided test cars

458 looks better and is for sure more involving drive but faster? Me not think so..

Funny how people want to bash Ferrari at every chance. Yet noone suspects McLaren of cheating. We are talking about McLaren of the Spygate and Liegate fame here, remember!!! It is very easy to subtract 50 kilos from a car. Just run it with empty tanks!!! Another 50 kilos would come from all the lightweight options.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

GT:

hmmm that 458 came in about 100 kgs lighter than most other independent magazines weighed customer cars.

I smell a rat I am afraid.. and we've heard it all before re ferrari provided test cars

458 looks better and is for sure more involving drive but faster? Me not think so..

If you think Mclaren didn't also "tweak" their car as much as possible for these tests then you are fooling yourself I'd suggest Smiley

I've read the "Autocar" article and it seems that both cars are very accomplished and have their plus and minus points. The writer would go for the 458 whilst another journalist who offers a second opinion would go for the McLaren.

The big pluses of the McLaren seem to be the ride quality due to the innovative suspension system and the view out of the windscreen (!!). Talking about it being faster is like splitting hair.

IMO the 458 Italia is the default choice for this type of car, if anything for the legend that comes with it. Even if the McLaren is better in some areas it is not any better overall to offset the Ferrari allure. McLaren have won some F1 titles with borrowed engines and made a very fast and expensive limited use car in the 90s. Not enough to shade Ferrari.

--

"Form follows function"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782906 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    443096 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263565 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    262096 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86148 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6059 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881831 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    820531 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM