Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Never drive your dream car... yeah right!

Since '99 I've lusted after one car more than any other. The then new 996.1 GT3 seemed to be everything I looked for in a car. Porsche: yes! Focused: yes! Lighter: yes! Louder: yes! Racing pedigree: yes! The picture looked perfect.

The only issue was, I was 13 years old at that time, I had no clue what I actually looked for in a car, but it felt right, as if it's the one. Your holy grail, the one you aspire to own more so than you aspire to have a roof over your head. It was my bedroom-poster car, literally.

12 years have passed since, many things have changed, there's been a 996.2 GT3, a 997.1 GT3, a 997.2 GT3 and their subsequent RS-models, I've grown an extra 50cm, I've owned my first couple of cars and I've learned what I actually appreciate in driving cars, but one thing hasn't changed since. The GT3 was still the one. The updated versions became ever more attractive (except maybe the 996.2 GT3) to me, the reviews became ever more positive, it was still as much the right car for me as it was back then, with that difference that I now more or less know what I want my dream car to feel like. I wanted it to be tight, agile, responsive, robust, aggressive, loud, ... I still didn't know for sure if it was all those things, but I was about to find out.

They always say you better not drive your dream car if you want it to stay your dream car. No car can ever live up to unreasonable expectations and boy are they unreasonable after 12 years of dreaming. Still, I knew for sure that if I'd have the chance, I'd forget about that piece of advice and drive it. Sure enough I did on Monday night when a Riviera 997.2 GT3 owning friend did the unthinkable and offered me the best place in the world, the drivers' seat.

Finally the moment had come, would it live up to the towering expectations? My first impression is one of solid quality, it felt like a bank's vault. Extremely tight in every respect, the steering wheel doesn't know what 'slack' means, the gearshift makes your arm feel like it's part of the gearbox, the clutch gives the impression it could withstand Veyron-levels of torque. All seemed so well engineered, and that's before you've even got going. Once on the roll what impressed me most -apart from a 3.8 mad man behind you- was the steering, without having experienced it, one cannot comprehend how communicative it is. It seems to filter out 'noise' and leaves you with useful 'data', an absolute benchmark. It's direct but perfectly matched to the sharpness of the chassis. The throttle/engine combination deserves a crown, never have I experienced such a rev-hungry engine, the throttle pedal is beyond sensitive, every millimetre of travel makes a difference. The first time I tried to rev-match it on downshifts, I ended up 2.000rpm above my intented engine speed, such is the sensitivity of both pedal and engine. There might be more powerful engines on offer, but the combination of that crescendo howl and linear power delivery is -to me- worth more than all the turbocharged thrust in the world. The carbon bucket seat actually vibrates your spine when nearing the +8.000rpm limiter. Utter madness and utterly perfectly suited to this masterpiece. I could go on about high speed stability, brakes, suspension, ... but in the end, we all know that it's up there with the very best in all these departments.

I knew that too, but having experienced it first hand rather than having read about it as I did the past 12 years opened a whole new level of GT3 desirability. It more than delivered upon my unreasonable expectations, so much so that I'll probably end up doing unreasonable things to have such an engineering triumph in my garage one day. For now though, I'll do with saluting the owner for his trust in me, and allowing me to confirm my half-life-long dream. Thanks!

1300910328334190156_1758718020622_1619176034_31619291_537457_n.jpg

Re: Never drive your dream car... yeah right!

A post I thoroughly enjoyed reading Smiley Congratulations on your experience!!

I was 15 in 1999, so I can imagine how you feel and felt about these cars, I had exactly the same "holy grail" sensation, which I only managed to calm down a bit by buying Smiley

From the bottom of my heart, I wish you good luck in (further) realising your dream Smiley

You 're one of "us" now!

Porsche_lover:

A post I thoroughly enjoyed reading Smiley Congratulations on your experience!!

I was 15 in 1999, so I can imagine how you feel and felt about these cars, I had exactly the same "holy grail" sensation, which I only managed to calm down a bit by buying Smiley

From the bottom of my heart, I wish you good luck in (further) realising your dream Smiley

Many thanks and congratulations to you for having realised that dream! Smiley

One of the best posts I've read on Rennteam for a very, very long time - it reminds us all of the deep passion that lies at the heart of owning and driving a Porsche. Your written style is good enough to be published in a motoring magazine!

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Wow, im very jealous mate. I have not yet had the chance to drive such a beast given our age. You are 25?

Fantastic read and I too really felt how it blew even your high expectations away. The little gifts for hard work

One day you and I shall meet in our Porsches

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Excellent write up. My limited experience with the 997.2 GT3 left me similarly astonished. I agree, the steering, engine, and throttle response are out of this world. Previous to the GT3 I had been a die hard Turbo fan, not anymore, the GT3 is the ultimate imho. Riviera is a gorgeous color for that car. Smiley

1300946174457respekt.gif

Holy crap Frank, that's fantastic!
    I too live with that same desire, and I've never even drive a 911 yet! Thing that came closest for me was when I was 19, a total stranger let me drive his tuned 944 turbo, and I was sold! :-)

For me too, the 996 mk1 GT3 and the 997 mk2 GT3 are still the most desirable cars on the world (Together with Pilot's rs ;-) )

Thanks for the write-up, really inspires me to try and pursue my dreams!

-Joost-

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Great post!full of passion!Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II,2011 Cayenne Turbo

Welcome to the dark side...  Smiley

Just kidding, I understand you very well, the GT3 is an amazing car.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Great post.... well written. Makes me want to dig mine out of the garage now the sunshine has returned to the UK !

You will have one one day...... Anything is achievable if you set your mind to it !

What a great post Porker! and what a great description of the car and the experience, its like I was in the passenger seat along with you 

--

Thanks all for the reactions, glad you liked it, it was a pleasure to write as well.

Awesome post. I drove my first 911 in 98 or 99 and have to say that it totally exceeded my expectations. Just as you described, the steering, gear shift, throttle response, the smell of rubber when driven hard, I actually could not understand how these cars could get any better until I drove the next one.

The funny thing is, so many memories are fading but this one stays with you...

Perfect post!  Smiley

I had a similar experience in 1988 - six month after I go my driving license, my mother gave me her 911 3.2 Carrera Targa for my first own drive in a 911.

I  only had  the permission to drive it to the car wash, but my way was direct on the autobahn.

What a feeling to se the first time in your life 245 Km/h as a driver - after 80 Km I washed the car and filled up the gas tank.

The goal was clear - I needed a 911.

Finally in 1994 I bought my first 911 a 1992 964 RS which I still own today.

Live your dream! Smiley

Blueflame Smiley

blueflame:

Perfect post!  Smiley

I had a similar experience in 1988 - six month after I go my driving license, my mother gave me her 911 3.2 Carrera Targa for my first own drive in a 911.

I  only had  the permission to drive it to the car wash, but my way was direct on the autobahn.

What a feeling to se the first time in your life 245 Km/h as a driver - after 80 Km I washed the car and filled up the gas tank.

Live your dream! Smiley

Blueflame Smiley

A 964RS, that is a keeper, I've heard so much about them, how radical and raw they are compared to modern 911's! congrats Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    blueflame:

Perfect post!  Smiley

Live your dream! Smiley

Blueflame Smiley

A 964RS, that is a keeper, I've heard so much about them, how radical and raw they are compared to modern 911's! congrats Smiley

Indeed great post Porker.

964 RS is fantastic, like the 993 RS, definitely keepers!

GT3 is the best sports car out there for the money today.

Futch:

+1 Smiley Have you felt tempted to replace your 997.1 GT3 RS with a 997.2 GT3 ?

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:
    Futch:

I am getting the 4.0L GT3RS in MaySmiley

Provide us with pics and insight please!

Futch:
    easy_rider911:
    Futch:

That's wonderful Smiley Many congrats in advance Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

RT Moderator 

A great post indeed, Porker. I can identify myself with it. 

I makes me feel even more lucky that I was able to fulfill this dream last fall. 

After reading your post and since the weather is currently quite pleasant, I just had to rip off the cover off mine and take it out. It was a blast, well, except for the fact that this bloody railroad crossing cost me the front spoiler lip (it's not that I've crossed it a million times before...) 

--

Matt C
    2009 997 GT3 Mk2  / 1988 911 3.2 Conv.

Futch:
    easy_rider911:
    Futch:

Smiley  Great!!!!

BlueflameSmiley

That is what a great post looks (and feels) like. I shared every bit of your passion while reading it , thanks so much for posting !!.  You've put into words the way most (if not every) young member here that still doesn't own a porsche feels. 

Congratulations Porker!! I can imagine how thrilled you must have been (and still must be ). Thanks for such a thorough post.

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Futch:

Of course, LOL Smiley

Porker, enjoyed the post very much Smiley

Fantastic post, Porker - welcome to the club Smiley I can subscribe to every single word you wrote Smiley The good thing (or bad thing Smiley) is, that once this experience is burnt into your brain you want to repeat it as often as possible - it never gets boring (ask me how I know) Smiley

As RC has mentioned the "dark side" he only could have meant the GT turbo variants Smiley Of course the sheer power of a GT2 is tempting but as a 'Ring regular I can tell you that there are veeeeeeery few GT2 pilots who are able to turn the car's superior capabilities into significant better laptimes (compared to a properly driven GT3/GT3RS).

964 RS are also one of my favourites Smiley A good friend has a track tuned one with the 3.8 L engine - still a fast car on the track even by todays standards as long as the driver has melon sized balls Smiley

Porker, I'm sure it's only a matter of time until you will turn the key with a huge smile in your own GT3 Smiley

@ Futch: many congrats to you on getting the Über-variant of the natural aspirated GTs - I'd kill for this car Smiley

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments!

Super post Frank - really sums up the emotional side of driving a dream-car.  Hope it's not too long before you sit behind the wheel of your very own....

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691057 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410182 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256228 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235421 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858825 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM