Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

SmileySmiley 

--

OMG first official teaser picture of the 991......

It's in that next bay after the Panamera, the mechanic parked it slightly too far back

But hey that just means it didn't grow much in length

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

YOU F....B....Smiley

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab

Audi R8  //  Audi A5 S-line 3.0tdi Quattro/ RR 4.4i

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

there are 5-10 people in this forum with real pics

enjoy yourself ...  bye bye

PS you guys are richSmiley

lol lololololol

i can really say i was believing there was a NEW picture

I just come home from Stuttgart. Today I was seeing 5 new 991 - amazing, on one day! Unfortunately all have been moving and none of them was parking. I really wished to had more time to have a deeper look 

I guess we are very close to the final release and now already the next stage of the test drive has started. Normally from a certain point on, also normal employees can have the car for a field test.

Lars997:

I just come home from Stuttgart. Today I was seeing 5 new 991 - amazing, on one day! Unfortunately all have been moving and none of them was parking. I really wished to had more time to have a deeper look 

I guess we are very close to the final release and now already the next stage of the test drive has started. Normally from a certain point on, also normal employees can have the car for a field test.

SmileySmiley

--
    Happy Driving

Were the cars instantly noticeable for being different from the 997?  Any general impressions?

Wonderbar:

Were the cars instantly noticeable for being different from the 997?  Any general impressions?

good question! I needed a second to see it, my wife just asked me 'are you sure'?

that a good thing

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Atzporsche:

that a good thing

OK, but that is also the reason i decided not to loose a big amount of money by buying a new one, in 2 years a 2nd hand will do it for me.

I pampered my 997 cab for 5.5 years and seeing how much i lost made me think ...

For people with big businesses it'll be no prob spending a lot on cars... for me it's a bridge to far.

--

Evo magazine has further rumours of the Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4-litre...

2012-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-4-litre_Evo-article.jpg

...with 500bhp and over 9000rpm!

Smiley SmileySmiley

I just saw a cayenne in L. A. driving on the highway with 4 LED light configurationSmiley

in the headlights? That's the Turbo feature on them AFAIK 

And OMG to the 500hp RS 4.0

--

Yes, they were the headlights.  Good to know.  Thanks 

beltar:
    Atzporsche:

that a good thing

OK, but that is also the reason i decided not to loose a big amount of money by buying a new one, in 2 years a 2nd hand will do it for me.

I pampered my 997 cab for 5.5 years and seeing how much i lost made me think ...

For people with big businesses it'll be no prob spending a lot on cars... for me it's a bridge to far.

+1 I also pampered my Carrera S Convertible a lot. Hardly drove it the last 3.5 yrs. Today I would get only have of it, so I decided to stay a bit longer with the car. Just not worth to waste 60 k within the timeframe and 20000 km. Also thought, next time I go for a used ine, but I tbought this many times befire but at the end I never did buy one. We will see!

Lars997:
    beltar:
    Atzporsche:

that a good thing

+1 I also pampered my Carrera S Convertible a lot. Hardly drove it the last 3.5 yrs. Today I would get only have of it, so I decided to stay a bit longer with the car. Just not worth to waste 60 k within the timeframe and 20000 km. Also thought, next time I go for a used ine, but I tbought this many times befire but at the end I never did buy one. We will see!

@Lars997 and @beltar, by pampered do you mean you used it very sparingly in good weather, or did you spend a lot on accessories and tuning stuff?

Cabrios have one great thing going for them.. New car or old car, driving with the top down never gets old haha ... as long as your roof mechanism works,that is...

Unlike engine bhp and suspension finesse which one can always find lacking (and which one can spend endlessly on trying to achieve).

355 bhp of the 997.1 is quite enough in switzerland.. They are really draconian here if u exceed limits.

Thing is, something like 500 bhp would be awesome across the border in germany, but I really hope they do something about road and tire noise in the 991.. Driving long distance at 200+ km/h, leaves my ears ringing at the end of the day. I am happy to pay for glorious exhaust snorts.. but not for tire drone

HMT - re your reference to 'tyre drone', I'd be interested to know which brand of tyres you're using and whether you've tried other makes with less, more or similar drone - many thanks..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

@Heavymetalthunder: with pampered I mean I spend assesories and lots of detailing to it! I drive it whenever posssible, but most of time I either need more space or I drive long distance busines trips. So only small rime to drive it! .... and I also drive it in winter, so no summer and sun only car!

@ Beltar and @ Lars,

I see your point perfectly clear. It is not very sensible to switch or update your 911 every 3-4 years unless money is of NO issue. I'd certainly keep the 997 for another couple of years, it's a fantastic car...

--

I have had my 997S Launch edition (one of the first 500) since it was 15 months used (delivered 9/2004).  It had 30K miles already at that time so I saved around 40K ($) off the 100K sticker.  After around 80K miles and 4.5 great years of everyday use I will use it for another  2years, buy another used 911 (991) and only lose around 15K ($) dollars total! That us my plan, I am on my 7th 911 over 32 years (only 47, thanks) and it is a formula that works for me.  Will I ever buy a new 911?  Nuts to that.

BTW - I still swear by my Ultra HighPerformance All Season Bridgestone pole position tires.  They last three times as long as the Michelins, work in cold weather, are totaly quiet, and cost 1/2 as much.  On the street you can not tell the performance difference and in the wet or cold I can run cicles around the Michelins.  I have the years and miles of travel to know what I am talking about.

Cheers,

The only problem with buying second-hand is you never get the exact spec' you want and you never know how it has been broken-in...

--

John H:

HMT - re your reference to 'tyre drone', I'd be interested to know which brand of tyres you're using and whether you've tried other makes with less, more or similar drone - many thanks..

When I got the car, it had the factory standard Michelins for summer ( I think Smiley)

When they were bust, I bought Pirelli P Zero's - I read some reviews, and Pirelli's seemed to have better grip in the wet (rains a lot here, so for me this was more important than out and out dry grip), and apparently less tire noise.. I can definitely vouch for the grip in the wet.. It feels very confident and I regularly give full throttle out of curves, without any hint of slip. How much of that is down to 4 wheel drive, I dont know, especially in damp conditions Smiley

Noise wise, I couldn't really make out a difference to the Michelins

For winter I again have the Pirelli Sottozeros. They are a quite noisy on the autobahn, but I suppose that is to be expected. But generally very good traction off of the line in cold conditions.

So there you have it.. I can't really say I have a range of experience Smiley

I have never tried Bridgestones, but am pretty curious about the new generation of tires coming out this year, especially Michelin

What about you John? Is tyre noise an issue for you as well?

The only problem with buying second-hand is you never get the exact spec' you want and you never know how it has been broken-in...

I have had excellent luck - knock on wood.  The Launch edition had everything - PCCB, Leather, Sport Chrono, Adaptive seats, Bose, Navigation, - spec crazy - more than I would have ever been able to afford.  I was glad it was not a garage queen, it had been driven.  How much is your own spec worth?  I bought an 18 month old car for 40K ($) less.  It was under warranty for many years after I got it.

You guys really need to try those ultra high performance Bridgestone tires, I have used them for years.

Okay, so I don't drive 180mph on the Autobahn either, but for US street driving (up to insane limits in all weather) they are excellent. 

"The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position with UNI-T AQ II Technology is the Ultra High Performance All-Season member of Bridgestone’s Potenza family of performance tires for the drivers of sports cars, sports coupes and performance sedans. The Potenza RE960AS Pole Position is designed to provide year-round driving flexibility by offering predictable handling, traction and control on dry and wet roads, as well as in light snow."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE960AS+Pole+Position

235/35/19 - $240

295/30/19 - $305

John H:

I think it is looking more and more likely that getting a used car with a manual shift is going to be a tall order. There are zero turbos with manuals on the market, afaik.

I wonder if the same will happen with the 991 carreras

HeavyMetalThunder:
    Lars997:
    beltar:
    Atzporsche:

that a good thing

@Lars997 and @beltar, by pampered do you mean you used it very sparingly in good weather, or did you spend a lot on accessories and tuning stuff?

By pampered i mean, caring for it like a new born baby, but this during 5.5 years and 63.000km.

So it looked almost brandnew, the new owner must be thrilled with such a bargain.

--

John H:

Concerning the specs you're partly correct: mostly when you buy 2nd hand it has a lot more options then i can afford on a new car.

My R8 e.g has almost every option and has a price app 40k above stickkerr, 2nd hand it lost enormous value in only 3 years!

BTW it's such a greaaaaat carSmiley, never expected it to be that addictiveSmiley

Never dared to thinck i wouldn't miss my beloved porsches.Smiley

But i'm already counting my € for a 991 2nd hand in a year or 2-3

--

HeavyMetalThunder:
    John H:

When I got the car, it had the factory standard Michelins for summer ( I think Smiley)

When they were bust, I bought Pirelli P Zero's - I read some reviews, and Pirelli's seemed to have better grip in the wet (rains a lot here, so for me this was more important than out and out dry grip), and apparently less tire noise.. I can definitely vouch for the grip in the wet.. It feels very confident and I regularly give full throttle out of curves, without any hint of slip. How much of that is down to 4 wheel drive, I dont know, especially in damp conditions Smiley

Noise wise, I couldn't really make out a difference to the Michelins

For winter I again have the Pirelli Sottozeros. They are a quite noisy on the autobahn, but I suppose that is to be expected. But generally very good traction off of the line in cold conditions.

So there you have it.. I can't really say I have a range of experience Smiley

I have never tried Bridgestones, but am pretty curious about the new generation of tires coming out this year, especially Michelin

What about you John? Is tyre noise an issue for you as well?

Not really, you have to expect some drone with 19" wheels and very wide tyres - part of the deal.

One of the reasons I hope Porsche doesn't opt for 20" on the 991..

--

I'm pretty sure you will see 20" in the opt list.

From the driving behaviour I wouldnt like 20" either. 19" are perfect to me!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688849 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408839 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255595 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234840 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773600 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM