Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Collected my GTS today

I think the car tells you itself when to raise the revs. As the engine loosens up you feel the difference and it more natural to gradually enter the higher RPM ranges.

The big change on this engine is at around 10.000 km (just over 6.000 miles). The engine smoothens and the power increase is significant.

BTW I'm surprised our two friends on rennteam who took delivery of the GTS haven't experienced any oil consumption at the beginning as on most 997.2. Mine just normalized now at 25.000 kms. Perhaps, Porsche changed something on the engine.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

. Mine just normalized now at 25.000 kms. Perhaps, Porsche changed something on the engine.

Mine still eats much more oil them my former 997.1 , and I have now 46'000 km.

When I drive at a normal pace on the highway for example, and then I put full throttle to accelerate hardly, I always see a smoke cloud in my rear mirror Smiley

It does not happen when I rev it all the time

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

Anyway, there are so many theories on brake in methods...... Hope for your sake, that you choose the right one Smiley

Out of interest Gnil - which method do you use? Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Gnil:
    reginos:

. Mine just normalized now at 25.000 kms. Perhaps, Porsche changed something on the engine.

When I drive at a normal pace on the highway for example, and then I put full throttle to accelerate hardly, I always see a smoke cloud in my rear mirror Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Gnil:
    reginos:

The oil cloud shouldn't happen while driving on a warm engine.

You should have your engine checked, just in case.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

easy_rider911:

@John H: Shell V-Power is ... 99 RON in the UK

@John H: I obtained some more accurate info on octanes in the UK which I thought you would appreciate Smiley

I phoned BP and Shell.

BP confirmed that BP Ultimate in the UK is guaranteed to be 97 RON.

Shell confirmed that V Power in the UK is always at least 98 RON (and is usually 98.5 RON).

More interestingly - after this thread started talking about octanes, I decided to test them both again.

I used Shell V-Power until my car was about 3 years old.

But I stopped buying Shell fuel because the Shell petrol station where I used to go to has a few disadvantages Smiley:

- it's involves a slight detour of 2 miles (i.e. not on my way)
    - there are pumps on both sides of each lane but only one car can use them at a time (i.e. 2 cars can't fill up side by side - which makes no sense to me  Smiley - whoever designed it this way needs their head examined) so there are always mini-queues of 2-3 cars for each lane Smiley
    - there have been card-skimming & card-cloning problems in the past at some Shell petrol stations in London Smiley
    - Shell V-Power Club & Shell Pluspoints weren't particularly generous with what you could get Smiley
    - the tyre pressure machine is mechanical (believe or not - some places still have those ...) Smiley

About 1.5 years ago, I tried BP Ultimate and I felt equally happy with it (at that time). Plus, the local BP petrol station has the following advantages:

- it's on my way (i.e. zero detour) Smiley
    - the tyre pressure machine is one of those newer electronic ones where you program the required tyre pressure in bar or psi and then the machine takes care of the rest Smiley
    - the lanes are wide (3 cars can pass side by side between the pumps) so there are no queues and you can enter/exit easily without waiting for cars to return from the payment kiosk Smiley
    - I can collect Nectar points Smiley
    - it's nearer to my home so my tyres don't warm up much before I get there - so I can fill them more accurately Smiley

Anyway, thinking rationally about it, I stuck with BP Ultimate for the past 1.5 years ...

Then your posts got me thinking - maybe I should try V-Power again - after all it's 98 RON ... Smiley

And, hand on heart, I noticed a difference - the car is definitely livelier and performance feels stronger - even the engine sounded better - that extra 1 RON does make a difference between 97 RON and 98 RON Smiley Smiley Smiley Plus maybe the additives are different and better???

And I'm not just saying this because of some placebo effect (i.e. that I am noticing something that isn't really there because I consciously opted to try a switch) Smiley

Anyway, just sharing my experiences hoping they're useful and informative for others ...

So, I've decided that, even though filling up with Shell V-Power is not as convenient for me, the actual product is better and makes a performance difference ... so I'm going to stick with it Smiley I will just use the local BP petrol station for tyre pressures only ...

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

easy_rider911:

I phoned BP and Shell.

Now that my friends is what I call dedication Smiley thanks for going to the trouble easy. 

Thanks Easy - very informative résumé..

I also felt my 997.1 C2S ran stronger on Shell V-Power than BP Ultimate - and it's 5p per litre cheaper at my local filling stations..

Don't forget to join the V-Power Club.....

https://www.shellsmart.com/smart/about/VPowerClub.html?site=en-en

You can pick up a card at the garage and then register on-line..

--

Thanks - I already have a Shell V-Power Club card from when I used to buy V-Power.

Last weekend, BP Ultimate and Shell V-Power were both the same price here - 133.5p per litre.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

see, easy_rider, you need to come to Germany even more frequently...to test the efficacy of fuels on the race track...

Don't worry - I'm coming for the PSDS Track Day at Leipzig - my place was confirmed today

--

RC:

It is on the first acceleration only, so when the engine is just about warm.... after that It does not do it anymore.

I'll have it checked just to be safe....

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

John H:
    Gnil:

Anyway, there are so many theories on brake in methods...... Hope for your sake, that you choose the right one Smiley

Out of interest Gnil - which method do you use? Smiley

The ' sensible' one Smiley  

I am very careful the first 500 km, then gradually move up ( doing all the fast/slow/break changes ) and starting to go up with revs , but not staying long on the high revs,  to end up revving it up to max by about  1500 - 2000 km. And being specially careful on heating up the engine . ( which I actually keep doing all the time ( keeping revs below 3000 until oil is warm )

If I would listened to my mechanics I would have to drive it like I stole it right from the beginning !

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

It's not so much rpm as engine loading that is important with a new engine - high revs at light throttle openings is no where near as damaging as a heavy throttle at low revs!

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

Gnil:
    RC:

It is on the first acceleration only, so when the engine is just about warm.... after that It does not do it anymore.

I'll have it checked just to be safe....

Gnil, did you get the oil cloud checked out yet?

--

I have now 46'000 km and it's there since the beginning, so I am not really worried about it.  I'll have it checked when I'll put on the summer rims, which should be in the middle of march, latest end of march.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

I'll have it checked when I'll put on the summer rims, which should be in the middle of march, latest end of march.

You are very optimistic regarding the weather over here.  Smiley

I usually change my tires after the Easter vacation or shortly before, which is usually end of March or early April (this year it is a little bit later).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

You are very optimistic regarding the weather over here.  Smiley

I usually change my tires after the Easter vacation or shortly before, which is usually end of March or early April (this year it is a little bit later).

The forecast from tomorrow to saturday : beautifull SUN , and I' m going skiing in the Swiss Alps for 3 days with the whole family Smiley

Usually my bench mark to change my rims is the Geneva Auto Show. ( but last year we got snow after that Smiley ) This year I would of needed my winter tyros only at then end of November and first 10 days in december...since then, no snow around here , except in the last few days in the mountains .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Thought I'd post an up-date on my GTS driving impressions even though it's still not fully broken-in yet!

Did a silly thing last week and twisted my right knee on the golf course.  This meant no driving (golf ball or car) for five days..

Back in the saddle now and, with over 1500 miles on the odo, it's been time to open the GTS up a bit... 

Until 1000 miles I'd stayed pretty much at a maximum of 4000 revs staying in auto normal mode until oil temp reached 90 degrees then choosing auto sport mode, but over-riding gear changing with the paddles to get used to them and also to vary the revs as per break-in recommendations.

Between 1000 - 1400 miles I gradually increased the revs to 5000 and began to use sport-plus in manual mode.  At 1400 the car was now coming into it's own and I was feeling very comfortable with using the paddles in sport-plus manual mode for some spirited driving.  I would recommend this as, leaving the car in sport-plus auto mode, it's very easy to accidentally over-rev the engine!

At 1500 miles I felt ready to take the revs to 6000 and above, but still nowhere near red-line.

I can only compare the GTS to my previous 997.1 C2S as I'd only driven a 997.2 a few miles on test, so please bear in mind that I'm unable to comment on any benefits, performance or otherwise, the GTS may have over that model.

Against the 997.1 it's like chalk and cheese - unbelievable acceleration - amazing braking and very solid road holding.  Superior in all departments with the possible exception of exhaust note...although having said that, I wouldn't change back now as the GTS exhaust just screams beautifully at 6000rpm - can't wait to hear it at red-line..

Contrary to what I was told by the OPC my car still hasn't used a drop of oil as I now approach 1600 miles!  The fuel consumption however is somewhat disappointing at 21mpg when figures quoted indicate an expectant 26mpg.  I imagine this should improve as time goes on and when fully broken-in.

The Bridgestone tyres are fine so far and certainly superior to some reviews I've read.

Overall, I'm totally delighted with my choice to buy the GTS and with my personal spec' which again I thank fellow Rennteamers for assisting me with..

My next report will be when I've driven her flat-out but, in the meantime, if anyone has any specific aspects they'd like me to comment on.. then please fire away...

--

Thanks for the detailed report, John!

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Thanks for the report.

The sport exhaust is still too new. As it "burns" it will sound better and better.

--

"Form follows function"

I'm happy to hear you're happy with the car and that you're giving it proper use 

Thanks John!  Your smmary is spot on.    .....so no need for me to repeat any of your observations...and yes, barely any oil burning with me either  ..but I do get a good whif of "hot oil" now and then when I get out of the car after spirited driving.

I just passed 1600 miles...and took one a friend (Porsche and golf buddy) out for a spin yesterday...up to 6500 RPM...and in sport mode the grip, howl and throttle response is incredible...makes my ol' Boxster S look silly!   

...but as my passenger friend (also named John) said "you could have bought 3 of your old Boxster S's for the price of this GTS...so what did you expect?"     Hmmmmm, he has a point there! 

He just sold his 996 and got a BMW 550I...but was VERY envious of the GTS and it's all around character, fit and finish...and yes, we had the top down...which makes the exaust howl sound verrrrry sweet at 6,500 RPM.     I have also been told the note just gets better with age.

Keep the comments coming John...and glad you're driving again...hope the golf game is back on track too! 

I should hit the 2,000 km (about 1800 miles) in the next week or so...and I reserved my first track day for April 15...can't wait!!  

Thanks for the reports 

As to the exhaust getting louder with age, I guess the 997.2 sport exhaust should be no different than the 997.1 in that respect, but in my case I remember I only started notincing that after 10,000km at least, so it will take a while longer until it reaches its real full sound  

--

Hi guys, Everything that John reported also goes along with my observations. I already rev The Car like Crazy, goes superfast. Also had some backcountry Road days, The Handling is just amazing. Too Bad we still have some gravel on The streets and roads ( Chips and lower traction ) and im still Held back by using Winter tires. Last fact is The worse, because it Makes Handling and Roadholding much worse! Just cant weit for my summer tires! Nick

Sorry to hear about the knee John. Great report though. Cant wait for my GTS to arrive. Found some interior pics of your car and like you, I prefer the smooth dash without the stitching but thought the leather centre section & PDK surround look really great.

Keep up the reports Smiley

Many thanks for the report, John, and sorry to hear about your knee. Sounds like you are as "chuffed" with your GTS as we are with the Cayman, you've just overtaken us on miles we are at 1,500 now. Hopefully now spring is just around the corner and my manic ship refit season is drawing to a close we will be able to get out and about more.

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

Great report John, but I was wondering if you can notice a difference in steering feel compared to the 997.1

Agent991:

Great report John, but I was wondering if you can notice a difference in steering feel compared to the 997.1

Thanks Agent911.... the steering feel itself is quite similar, but the GTS is much more planted generally and especially when cornering at speed.. i.e. both at turn-in and accelerating out.

There's a tangible lack of body roll which will, no doubt, be aided by the suspension refinements plus LSD.. Smiley

--

John H:
    Agent991:

Thanks Agent911.... the steering feel itself is quite similar, but the GTS is much more planted generally and especially when cornering at speed.. i.e. both at turn-in and accelerating out.

There's a tangible lack of body roll which will, no doubt, be aided by the suspension refinements plus LSD.. Smiley

I'm glad to hear that! Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761501 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434831 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260213 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257364 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80853 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5317 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871669 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806973 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM