Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren vs 458 vs 997 Turbo...real life test

Kurzhuber means a short stroke engine.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/11q1/2012_mclaren_mp4-12c-first_drive_review

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/mclaren-mp4-12c/255434/

It appears Mclaren has really nailed this one! Wonder if they will produce a NA version of it though ? I think the main reason for it's "lack of emotion" is the turbo engine, which is too powerfull (and at the same time civilised) for it's own good. Altough it's one of the best turbo engines ever made though.

As promissed...Smiley

http://www.mediafire.com/?f2nrhl66q9ia2

J.Seven

Thanks a lot J.Seven . But the McLaren jumped the start , and then did not seem to get way more then the few meters 'stolen' at the beginning 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

J.Seven

These three look great. BTW, this is no Turbo S.

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

J.Seven:

As promissed...Smiley

http://www.mediafire.com/?f2nrhl66q9ia2

J.Seven

I can't download the file. It says "internal communication error" bla bla. Can you put it on youtube ?

J. Neves!!!!!!        

Not only did the McLaren jump the line, but I didn't hear the cars revving their LCs (of paramount importance especially in the NA 458). On top of that, the McLaren wasn't opening a gap after the start. I am waiting for the first independent tests.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

Not only did the McLaren jump the line, but I didn't hear the cars revving their LCs (of paramount importance especially in the NA 458). On top of that, the McLaren wasn't opening a gap after the start. I am waiting for the first independent tests.

Funny to see members reaction to this test, defending their love brand Smiley

If you see the flag, the MP4 did not jump the start, the other two were the one to fall behind steping the throtle, maybe this was the "instructions" they received Smiley

Indeed this Turbo is not Turbo S, will ask my friend about this.

And finally, I saw the video several times,  really can´t tell if the LC was activated on the 458 or not!! Think you´re rigth on this one, better to waite for independent comparos.

One thing I´m sure, no matter what performance numbers MP4 or 997TTS are able to achieve, I would choose the Ferrari over the other two hands down Smiley

J.Seven

if the TURBO´S DRIVER don´t  sleep , the result will be diferent, see this photo:

J.Seven:

One thing I´m sure, no matter what performance numbers MP4 or 997TTS are able to achieve, I would choose the Ferrari over the other two hands down Smiley

J.Seven

I think that is the real point here. All three are great cars in their in their own right (though I reserve judgement until I have driven the McLaren  - but doubt it will be a let down). The question is if you could only have one which one would you have, and that is a very personal thing as opposed to brand loyalty / bashing?

Im surprised people are disappointed with the looks of the McLaren. It's wonderfully serious and understated yet very sporty too. Isn't that also why we like Porsche? 

Let's wait for the NBR time...

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

I doubt u can outrun a pdk lauchcontrolled 4wheeldrive 997tt from 0-100.....after that ok but the porsche is 100 hp down.....so...except for tracking i take the 997 anyday before those others...pricediff aside

This friend of mine works at AIA ever since the begining and he always have the chance to test drive some cars going there. He is also one of the instructors of the racing School they have there with many Porche , BMW´s one Ferrari, Nissan GT-R among others.. He really admires McLaren and their working method.

Here´s a funny story he told me. In 2009 McLaren and Ferrari F1 team were their testing their cars.

To start the engine with McLaren

- You have 6 Enginners in front of 6 computers

- The main responsable says "Star the engines procedures"

- A code is sent from the Factory in England and the engineers load this code on the PC´s

- Then, they inform the Motor Engineers on the box to tell the mechanic to star the engine with the starter engine

- It works like a Lab and everything is cleaner than a living room

To star the engine with Ferrari

- There´s a mechanic seated in top of the front right wheel heating a sandwich

- Couple of enginners go close to the mechanic and one of them shouts "mettere il motore en fuzionamento" ...       .Smiley  Smiley love their method Smiley Smiley

- The relaxed mechanic comes with the starter motor and here we go.

Result: The same

Process to achieve it : Totally different

McLaren team, lines their Trucks in the paddock area with a laser so that everything is in perfect place and aligned.

These methods really make the difference according to my friend and when you are on the midle of them and talking with all those engineers, he says there´s no one like the McLaren guys. He says you can feel that when you ride in both cars, the McLaren is perfect. This is his personal opinion.

J.Seven

J.Seven:

This friend of mine works at AIA ever since the begining and he always have the chance to test drive some cars going there. He is also one of the instructors of the racing School they have there with many Porche , BMW´s one Ferrari, Nissan GT-R among others.. He really admires McLaren and their working method.

Here´s a funny story he told me. In 2009 McLaren and Ferrari F1 team were their testing their cars.

To start the engine with McLaren

- You have 6 Enginners in front of 6 computers

- The main responsable says "Star the engines procedures"

- A code is sent from the Factory in England and the engineers load this code on the PC´s

- Then, they inform the Motor Engineers on the box to tell the mechanic to star the engine with the starter engine

- It works like a Lab and everything is cleaner than a living room

To star the engine with Ferrari

- There´s a mechanic seated in top of the front right wheel heating a sandwich

- Couple of enginners go close to the mechanic and one of them shouts "mettere il motore en fuzionamento" ...       .Smiley  Smiley love their method Smiley Smiley

- The relaxed mechanic comes with the starter motor and here we go.

Result: The same

Process to achieve it : Totally different

McLaren team, lines their Trucks in the paddock area with a laser so that everything is in perfect place and aligned.

These methods really make the difference according to my friend and when you are on the midle of them and talking with all those engineers, he says there´s no one like the McLaren guys. He says you can feel that when you ride in both cars, the McLaren is perfect. This is his personal opinion.

J.Seven

Oh, this must be the reason why Ferrari has won 8 Constructors' Championships in the past 12 years and McLaren hasn't won any then! My compliments to your friend. Smiley 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

Oh, this must be the reason why Ferrari has won 8 Constructors' Championships in the past 12 years and McLaren hasn't won any then! My compliments to your friend. Smiley 

Indeed Smiley Smiley 

J.Seven

J.Seven:

Hey Ferrari and Porsche guys, is it from the pic, or the MP4 is lined up 13mm in front of the other two Smiley

J.Seven

I don't know, but judging by how much the McLaren pulled away from the 997TT who blew the launch would imply that a TurboS-PDK would have beaten the new McLaren easily, and the McLaren is new yet the TurboS is of a model that is being evolved just this year. The Gallardo is also due... The McLaren may have one of the shortest reigns in recent history. If I learned something over this years is to never listen to the manufacturer hype during pre-launch of a new model.

--

so, things we have learned from the video:

1) the driver of the mclaren had the fastest reaction time
    2) the driver of the porsche had the slowest reaction time

that is all.

PorSchelover1:

so, things we have learned from the video:

1) the driver of the mclaren had the fastest reaction time
    2) the driver of the porsche had the slowest reaction time

that is all.

Smiley

well gentlemen for those in the know, a 0-200 time of under 9 secs is a VERY difficult thing to achieve. So either the mclaren is a lot faster than the 458 and the turbo S or simply the performance statistics are a lie. It is as simple as that.

Both 458 and turbo S are in the low to mid 10s at best. (RealZeus lets forget about that italian test as it probably belongs to a scifi movie).

So we can speculate as much as we want but we will not know the truth until the independent tests come in. (preferably from non-british journalists to also cover that angle)

GT:

well gentlemen for those in the know, a 0-200 time of under 9 secs is a VERY difficult thing to achieve. So either the mclaren is a lot faster than the 458 and the turbo S or simply the performance statistics are a lie. It is as simple as that.

Agree. I reckon journalists will have hard time achieving it, not speaking about improving on it.

Based on the official video with performance figures and its speedo-view 200-300km/h pull, McLaren´s performance doesn´t seem that incredible above 200km/h. 0-300km/h will probably be in 28s range. So it doesn´t raise the bar as much as they claim.

GT:

Both 458 and turbo S are in the low to mid 10s at best. (RealZeus lets forget about that italian test as it probably belongs to a scifi movie).

So we can speculate as much as we want but we will not know the truth until the independent tests come in. (preferably from non-british journalists to also cover that angle)

So Automobilismo, Quattroruote and the American Road and Track are all lying? Yeah, right mate! Smiley

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

I have noticed over the years that american magazines( CD,RT,MT)have always been achieving better acceleration number then european ones

I came to a conclusion that they must have a grippier surface on which they do those tests

I dont have any facts to support my theory though

lor:

I have noticed over the years that american magazines( CD,RT,MT)have always been achieving better acceleration number then european ones

I came to a conclusion that they must have a grippier surface on which they do those tests

Have in mind Americans measure 0-60 and 0-120 Miles per hour, which is not the same thing as 0-100Kph and 0-200Kph.

120Mph = 208 Kph

J.Seven

lor:

Smiley

There are plenty of drag strips in the USA for running acceleration tests and Americans have had at least 60 years to learn how to optimise asphalt mixes for this rather narrow discipline.

--

fritz

J.Seven:
    lor:

Have in mind Americans measure 0-60 and 0-120 Miles per hour, which is not the same thing as 0-100Kph and 0-200Kph.

120Mph = 208 Kph

J.Seven

120Mph=193.1212kms

This has been discussed before, American mags use a "roll out" measuring technique which explains there consistently faster times.

GT:

120Mph=193.1212kms

Course it´s the other way around ,otherwise my argument wouldn´t make sence at all, don´t know where I had my mind, thanks for correcting the bug Smiley

I stll think it has nothing to do with L.technics or tarmac mixes, Americans don´t measure 0-62Mph or 0-124Mph like Europeans do, so you really can´compare.

.J.Seven

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM