Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Audi Q5 or BMW X3

I am in the process of buying a medium SUV with a small diesel engine and automatic gearbox.

The car will be for everyday use so economy and practicality count for a lot but it should also give some relatively good driving pleasure.

I have narrowed down the choice to either the Q5 or the new X3 both with 2.0lt turbodiesel. Prices with options are very similar.

The representation of both brands is very good here from long standing importers.

I'd like to hear comments from people who have experience of these models, if possible. Also does anyone have information when the Q5 is due for a facelift?

Thank you!

--

"Form follows function"

Re: Audi Q5 or BMW X3

Also I'm an huge BMW fan, I personally would prefer the Q5. Simply because I like its design better!

Facelift of the Q5 should be due next year if I counted right (2008+4years).

reginos:

I am in the process of buying a medium SUV with a small diesel engine and automatic gearbox.

The car will be for everyday use so economy and practicality count for a lot but it should also give some relatively good driving pleasure.

I have narrowed down the choice to either the Q5 or the new X3 both with 2.0lt turbodiesel. Prices with options are very similar.

The representation of both brands is very good here from long standing importers.

I'd like to hear comments from people who have experience of these models, if possible. Also does anyone have information when the Q5 is due for a facelift?

Thank you!

--

"Form follows function"

Honestly? I would not buy small 2.0td engine version of either X3 or Q5. Most of the time it will feel underpowered.

OK. My observation about both:

Q5

+pretty nice design

+very good build quality

+optional paddles steering wheel for S tronic

+/- S tronic gearbox(some will ask why because it is DCT? Yes, that is the part of the problem. Q5 is medium size SUZ/SAV so, autobox would fit better IMHO. From standstill X3 2.0d with autobox simply goes way better)

-needs a lot of options(Drive select and active suspension are a must. Specially with S tronic)

X3

+better engine overall

+good comfort with optional chassis

+ 8speed autobox

+/- design

- NO optional paddles steering wheel for autobox

Hint... For the same money you can buy X1 2.8i with new twinscroll 2.0L turbo(245ps/350Nm) with optional 8 speed autobox. Add some options(paddles steering wheel is option for X1 belive it or not-BUT NOT available for X3-only for 3.5 version) and this is it IMHO. Specially if you have one child or so.

@Kreso: Thank you for your evaluation.

I'd like paddles and unfortunately BMW doesn't offer them for this model and Audi require the Lane Assist option to include them.

I've driven these cars very briefly for an initial familiarization and I noticed that the BMW with the normal suspension and 17" wheels is very smooth riding but it rolls a lot and it doesn't feel very confidence inspiring in maneuvers. Audi with normal suspension and 18" wheels rode well in spite of what I've read that it is uncomfortable and felt more planted. I'll go for the optional damper control on either of the two.

The engines of both are OK for acceleration up to some 150km/h but after that they tail off. However unfortunately, anything over 2000 cc is heavily taxed upon purchase here, making the cost of a large engined car very unreasonable.  For example a 3.0TDI costs €22.000 more than a 2.0 TDI of which some €16.000 is the extra tax. I'd pay the extra tax for a 911 or some other special car but not for a daily multi-task and often multi-driver SUV.

--

"Form follows function"

Lars997:

Also I'm an huge BMW fan, I personally would prefer the Q5. Simply because I like its design better!

Facelift of the Q5 should be due next year if I counted right (2008+4years).

Couldn't have said it better. Smiley

I love the Q5...had a loaner during our last summer vacation in Spain and just reserved another Q5 for our next summer vacation (this time with automatic transmission).

The Diesel feels very powerful, even the smaller version.

The Design is much better, I'm not really a fan of the X3 design.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

reginos:

I'd like paddles and unfortunately BMW doesn't offer them for this model and Audi require the Lane Assist option to include them.

Are you sure? I got the paddles for my wife's Q5 and I didn't get the Lane Assit option, it was an independant option, only thing required was obviously the S-tronic gearbox.

BTW, 20" I think are a must in the Q5, sharper steering but specially completely changes the looks of the car, I mean completely.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    reginos:

Are you sure? I got the paddles for my wife's Q5 and I didn't get the Lane Assit option, it was an independant option, only thing required was obviously the S-tronic gearbox.

BTW, 20" I think are a must in the Q5, sharper steering but specially completely changes the looks of the car, I mean completely.

Thanks, I 'll check again for the paddles if i decide to proceed.

Thank you also about the 20" tip. No problems with ride quality? Do you have damping control?

--

"Form follows function"

Ride quiality is perfectly fine for me and my wife, and I chose the sport suspension instead which is even stiffer. If you opt for dampning control then it should be even less to worry about.

But I'm hesitant to comment too much towards that, because that is very relative to each one's perception of reasonable stiffness and also the quality of the roads in the area. I like very stiff cars and stiffness in not something that bothers me in everyday life as it may other people, and my wife I guess has grown used to it from me. And roads here are fairly good quality and in good coondition (low traffic, not too rough weather, new roads, etc)

If you can try one that would be great, but its amazing how much it changes the look of the car with the 20" in this car.

1297448496775front-side-close.jpg

--

Lars997:

+ 1

New X3 is big improvement over old X3, but still Q5 looks the best in that class IMO.

I don't know if the updated X3 has them, but on the original X3 ther were those little rocker panels (not big enough to be running boards, but did stick out obout 2 inches). The one and only time I drove an X3 I opened the door to get out, swung my legs out, hit both of my calves on that stupid rocker, gave myself instant charley horses in both legs and fell to the ground.

It might have been a perfect storm as to egress movement that did it, and maybe I would never had done it again, but I never got into an X3 afterwards...

Q5 all the way.

--
    Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I personally have a thing for the GLK, i think it looks amazing inside and out. Very trendy urban, yet also seems to look able for a countryside trip with some gravel roads. I actually dream of one for some strange reason... out of all modern cars.. and im 24, something is wrong with me i know.

The Q5 is currently very nice, Audi did a heck of a job with it!

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

GLK is not made with the Right Side Steering (UK system et al) that we use.

The way the car was designed, the steering column on the right would interfere with the front drive shaft.

--

"Form follows function"

Hi Reginos, I agree with Kreso's assessment.

Some (subjective) observations from me:

> I never use the paddle shifts in Diesel powered cars (especially not if you have such an excellent auto-box as in the BMW)

> DDC suspension in the BMW in "normal" mode is softer than standard suspension plus it removes the roll of the chassis you observed in the car with standard suspension.

> X3 feels less "truck-ish" to me compared to the AUDI, that (and the IMHO better auto-box) tipped my decision for the new daily workhorse towards the BMW.

--

public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

I am waiting for a X3 30D M-sport to be our new family SUV.  0-100kmh in 6.2s and only uses 6 litre/100km.  Hard to fault that!  This is what ours will look like.

Thanks for your comments all of you!

Finally I have opted for the Audi. So it is Bavaria but Ingolstadt instead of Munich. Mainly (but not solely) based on financial criteria. Much better price for me on the Audi and a good part exchange deal on a 6 year old VW we have in the family

However, although the new BMW engine is supposed to be more economical than the Audi's and the X3 is a new design whereas the Q5 will be facelifted sooner there were some things I didn't like on the BMW. The servotronic steering was very insensitive with very little feel to it whereas the Audi's was more meaty and feelsome. The Audi felt more planted with superb handling even on 18" wheels. Even my wife who is not much into cars noticed how secure the Audi felt at speed compared to the more soft BMW. They say (british magazines mainly) that the Audi's low speed ride is bumpy, I never noticed that even on roads that are not billiard table smooth.

Moreover, even on the new 2.0d BMW haven't managed to make it sweet sounding at idle. It is still sounds agricultural compared to Audi's older TDI. The new BMW gearbox is very unobtrusive and smooth compared to the Q5 S-tronic (something like PDK on Normal Mode) but it has no paddles for quick overriding, something I'd like to have.

Audi has a 6 months waiting period on the Q5 ( I don't like to buy out of stock because I am particular with options). This is amazing at a time of world-wide economic recession, so well done to them!

--

"Form follows function"

Congrats Reginos! what options did you go with? could you get the paddles on the steering wheel and an independant extra?

--

The main extras are:

Damping control + drive select

Tyre pressure monitoring

parking system plus

Xenon plus with LEDs

18" 10 spoke wheels

3 zone air conditioning

Milano leather seats and armrest

bluetooth phone and music interface

plus some other convenience extras

To get the paddles I had to order the 3 spoke wheel. On the standard 4 spoke wheel paddles are fitted only in combination with Lane Assist. Strange! So it was cheaper to upgrade to the 3 spoke wheel than to add the lane assist which i don't think it's very useful for us.

--

"Form follows function"

Now I understand, I ordered the S-Line interior package and that included the 3-spoke stereing wheel that is why I didn't have any problems adding the paddles. Parking System Plus works great, its very usefull to see and hear the different zones in the LCD screen, very worthwhile. Tyre pressuring is just OK, its not like in the 911 where you can see the actual tires pressures, it just gives you a warning when a tire crosses and underinflation threshold but thats it, its still worthwhile but being able to see the pressures is much better. Bluetooth works very well, it takes less than a minute to set up the phone the first time and thats it. Good list, congrats 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755190 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431540 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258867 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255889 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79881 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5263 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868909 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802930 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM