Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

http://www.autoweek.nl/video/2232/Spionage-Porsche-911

Thanks mate,
    one gets a pretty good feeling of the car's lookw by this movie... at least, I know I do.

-Joost-

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Thanks for posting, Thoma!

Great fun to watch. 

The footage from the gas station, the spoiled looks raised perhaps?

2011 is the year of the new 911...

Smiley SmileySmiley 

Rossi:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:
    1. 9A1 motor for sure with 480 hp for GT3
    2. PDK-S (he used this term twice) which has been tested with the 9A1 for over 4 years he claims
    3. Weight loss of 180-200 lbs through use of composites
    4. Absolutely no hybrid tech. He said specifically it doesnt fit the GT3 motif
    5. Confirmed no more Gt1 (Mezger) block after GT3 RS LE (he confirmed 4.0 RSR motor)
    6. Stressed the move of the motor forward essentially making the car a mid-engine car, even though Porsche will never call it one. He says this will make the car more balanced

I wont say the guy's name but he is in a very high position within P-motorsport.

He also absolutely stressed no 8 cylinder and I asked him multiple times. We spoke of the car in terms of the 991 Cup car in relation to the 991 GT3, as I figured he's tell me more if it was within this context! When I asked him about weight loss of the "base" 991 he said 130 pounds or so with more in the GT3. I asked about through the use of stuff like on the Gt2RS and he nodded in the affirmative. 

130 lbs weight reduction and mid-engine sound very interesting. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Very interesting . 480 HP with less weight will make it perfect Smiley 

The 'mid-engine' layout is much less appealing,Smiley but lets wait to see...

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

The 'mid-engine' layout is nonsense  , plus how it's possible to move engine forward and have a longer wheelbase at a same time .

Misha011:

...plus how it's possible to move engine forward and have a longer wheelbase at a same time .

Well, you keep the engine in place, but shift the rear axle a bit aft...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Here's some photoshop work,based on this video....What do you think guys?

1296498398994Screenshot.jpg9913 copy.jpg

--

2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

2007 997 GT3

2006 Mercedes G500

1993 964 Turbo (Sold)

One more....9914.jpg 

--

2007 997 GT3

2006 Mercedes G500

1993 964 Turbo (Sold)

Something I've been thinking about since the facelift 997 appeared: 

Might the new (991) lights just be the facelift ones without the lower reflector part and in 918-style lighting?

Too obvious?

Tail lights tooked from 918 RSR1296501232305918.jpg 

--

2007 997 GT3

2006 Mercedes G500

1993 964 Turbo (Sold)

@Boxster Coupe GTS - Thanks for sharing the info Smiley

Although..... if I wanted mid engine, I'd buy an R8. This does not sound very good.

911 should stay a 911

@BlackOctober - Lovely stable of cars, mate! Great taste, I must say 

Joost:
    Misha011:

...plus how it's possible to move engine forward and have a longer wheelbase at a same time .

Well, you keep the engine in place, but shift the rear axle a bit aft...

The wheelbase (WB) is by definition the distance between the axles... if the WB is increased, the rear axle is pushed away from the front axle, therefore the engine, which is behind the rear axle, is pushed further still. Makes sense doesn't?

What also happens is that when the WB is increased more material is added in the middle which slightly shifts the CG (center of gravity) forward. 

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

HeavyMetalThunder:

Although..... if I wanted mid engine, I'd buy an R8. This does not sound very good.

911 should stay a 911

+1....Me too! 

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

BlackOctober:

Tail lights tooked from 918 RSR1296501232305918.jpg 

nice ps - anyway, those lights are to small. from left to right, they are as big as today. Just from top to bottom they are a bit more narrow. Also from the holistic approach, they've been like the 918, maybe not that extreme. That AutoBild rendering seems to be pretty accurate. 

I think he is talking about moving the engine a bit further to the middle given the new chassis, but it will always be far from mid engined.

--

Carlos from Spain:

I think he is talking about moving the engine a bit further to the middle given the new chassis, but it will always be far from mid engined.

At the limit... the engine has to be a distance equal to the radius of the diff box + the clutch thickness behind the rear axle, to stay with the current architecture. Therefore, given that the WB is larger, the distance between the front axle and the engine has increased.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

I think I mentioned this again and again and I do it again:

The 991 will not be a revolution, design-wise, compared to the 997 but a very nice evolution. Yes, the headlights will be typical 911 (no 918 design, sorry guys) and the tail lights are already pretty well visible in the spy shots posted.

What is really new about the 991 is the interior, the slightly bigger rear room and the completely new chassis which, according to test drivers, improves handling substantially and lifts the 991 to an incredible performance level (surprise, surprise I guess...until we know more details). Only one hint: According to a source, the 991 Carrera S achieves a similar track time on the Nordschleife like the 997 GT3. If this doesn't sound impressive, I don't know what else to think.

The engine position has been slightly changed but the 991 isn't even close to a mid-engined car. To make it short: No, the 991 is not mid-engined, sorry.

No Diesel for the 991 and no V8 engine either. No 4-cyl. either, so relax boys.

There will be a new PDK generation which will push 0-100 kph performance of the Carrera S below 4 seconds (Sport Chrono). PTM, PASM, etc. have been improved too substantially, torque vectoring should be standard on all AWD models.

Engine power should start at 360-380 HP, with the Carrera S at 400-420 HP. Can't go into details because the precise figures could put our source at risk.

The reason why I waited for the 991 is simple: According to our sources and various rumors, the 991 is going to be one of, if not the best and fastest 911 (for each model type) ever.

It is worth waiting for it and while many people will not like the classic 911 design, the modern interpretation on the 991 is a real treat in my opinion.

While the new 991 may be slightly bigger than the 997, you won't really notice it. Weight will also not be higher than on the 997, it may even be a couple of kg lighter, depending on the model and equipped options.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Smiley Can't wait to see this baby.

RC,

Any hints as to when the press is allowed to share the pix and info before Frankfurt ?

--
    Happy Driving

Ron (Houston):

Smiley Can't wait to see this baby.

x1000 target.gif

--

thanks RC, so a lot of common sense and incredible performance improvement. Seems Porsche is really doing their homework lately. Sounds like the 991 will be very nice. It reminds me of the 993. Which is a good thing.

I heard they will not offer the Targa's anymore? Does that mean maybe a speedster or something

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

It is worth waiting for it

Frankfurt right ? 

while the new 991 may be slightly bigger than the 997, you won't really notice it. Weight will also not be higher than on the 997, it may even be a couple of kg lighter, depending on the model and equipped options.

Just "a couple" ? Initial reports said it will be around 50 kilos lighter..

--

Wank me up, before you go-go...

ADias:
    Carlos from Spain:

At the limit... the engine has to be a distance equal to the radius of the diff box + the clutch thickness behind the rear axle, to stay with the current architecture. Therefore, given that the WB is larger, the distance between the front axle and the engine has increased.

Well said - When I heard about the engine moving forward, I also wondered if the transaxles would be modified (or the angle of the axles as they exit the trans) to allow the engine to rest closer to the axle (or the whole current drivetrain moved forward).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

RC:

I think I mentioned this again and again and I do it again:

The 991 will not be a revolution, design-wise, compared to the 997 but a very nice evolution. Yes, the headlights will be typical 911 (no 918 design, sorry guys) and the tail lights are already pretty well visible in the spy shots posted.

What is really new about the 991 is the interior, the slightly bigger rear room and the completely new chassis which, according to test drivers, improves handling substantially and lifts the 991 to an incredible performance level (surprise, surprise I guess...until we know more details). Only one hint: According to a source, the 991 Carrera S achieves a similar track time on the Nordschleife like the 997 GT3. If this doesn't sound impressive, I don't know what else to think.

The engine position has been slightly changed but the 991 isn't even close to a mid-engined car. To make it short: No, the 991 is not mid-engined, sorry.

No Diesel for the 991 and no V8 engine either. No 4-cyl. either, so relax boys.

There will be a new PDK generation which will push 0-100 kph performance of the Carrera S below 4 seconds (Sport Chrono). PTM, PASM, etc. have been improved too substantially, torque vectoring should be standard on all AWD models.

Engine power should start at 360-380 HP, with the Carrera S at 400-420 HP. Can't go into details because the precise figures could put our source at risk.

The reason why I waited for the 991 is simple: According to our sources and various rumors, the 991 is going to be one of, if not the best and fastest 911 (for each model type) ever.

It is worth waiting for it and while many people will not like the classic 911 design, the modern interpretation on the 991 is a real treat in my opinion.

While the new 991 may be slightly bigger than the 997, you won't really notice it. Weight will also not be higher than on the 997, it may even be a couple of kg lighter, depending on the model and equipped options.

Smiley  Thank`s again RC... CAN`T WAIT FOR THIS BABY!!!! Smiley

I will be in Stuttgart around May, and i will visit Porsche Museum.... Is it possible see a 991 uncovered around this areas Smiley

I will be in Stuttgart to watch Hannover 96.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Thanks for the info RC, as always!!!!!!!

Can't wait for it!  You've just gotten me uber-excited (once again) !!!!

i think you mentioned a couple or few posts ago that we should see some official pics in a couple to a few months or so!

Some questions:

when we will see the "first drives" etc from the press!  

When it will arrive in the states if it has a september Frankfurt autoshow debut?

(I believe the 997 and 996 arrived in the spring as the following year models?  But i read in Autocar perhaps that it would mostly likely arrive in England as a MY2012?

i wonder what sort of price hike over the 997?

Thanks again for all the info!!

HeavyMetalThunder:

@BlackOctober - Lovely stable of cars, mate! Great taste, I must say 

Thank's man Smiley 

--

2007 997 GT3

2006 Mercedes G500

1993 964 Turbo (Sold)

The Next 911 - New and Future Cars...

A further evolution of an iconic shape...

(14 January 2011)

No one would mistake our artist’s renderings and spy photo for anything other than a Porsche 911. The proportions, details and overall shape all share a compact puissance with the original car, now almost a half-century old. Yet the next 911 is anything but retro. Its design ethic never left anywhere, so there’s nowhere to which to return.

However, there are plenty of subtleties to announce the new car, seen now free of camouflage in these photo-illustrations by Larson. The headlights stand a bit more upright. The side mirrors have moved from the niches of their corresponding side windows onto the doors; this, perhaps, to reposition them out of the airflow paths defined by those more pronounced front fender contours. (Side mirrors are notoriously sensitive acoustic challenges.)

Overall, the car’s shapes are more crisply defined. Note, for instance, the character lines as the front fender peaks flow aft into the A-pillars. These are even more evident along the rear hatch break. The transition from backlight and rear wing to fender flanks is more complex than on previous models, the rear flanks broader and more muscular. In fact, to some eyes, this complexity causes some transitional uncertainty in the cabrio version.

Our earliest spy photos displayed air scoops on the flanks. Guess what? On closer examination, these proved to be mere stick-on appliqués. Also, headlights and taillights are accurately shown in the renderings here, as are the transitions of roofline and rear wing.

But for the freshness of that rear transition, the roofline and side glass remain iconic 911 shapes. Until, that is, you see the new treatment of sunroof, a panel that apparently rotates aft and downward following the backlight arc.

The rear deck and extendable wing of this next 911 are evolutionary of the current design, though the wider wing extends onto the side flanks. This portion of the car is more chiseled, with a hint of Aston Martin flair to the rear fascia.

The Larson renderings show headlight and taillight surrounds clearly. (He sees past fake covers and appliqués!) Larson is also predicting that recessed detail below the Porsche logo. Note the tight control of flank contours as they flow into the rear roofline. In spy photos and renderings alike, the styled wheels and extremely low-profile tires certainly fill out their wheel wells.

Apart from the oval tailpipes and cross-drilled brake rotors, there’s no indication of particular mechanicals lurking beneath this revised bodywork. It’s likely we’re seeing a Carrera S model powered by a normally aspirated, albeit upgraded, flat-6 with a new PDK twin-clutch gearbox.

The spy photo interior shows an evolutionary layout with Panamera cues, especially in the center console. A traditional 911 five-pack of analog instruments can be seen. And, hey, that’s a nifty wristwatch.

2011-Porsche-911_R+T_01.jpg

The-Next-Porsche-911_Road+Track

Smiley SmileySmiley

I have been mute for a long while but reading the forum couple of times a day.   

Although I have said many times before that my first Porsche  (997.1 tiptronic 4S) was a bad choice on my behalf and long gone now,  I am eagerly waiting for 991 generation.  If it is anything like the above pics, I am in love!!!  Technically there is doubt on my side according to all the info we are reading here.  It will be one hell of a daily driver.  It will be hard since I have no fun toys except my Agusta to play with but I will probably wait a year for the glitches to be taken care of if I can keep myself wise enough. 

--

2010 BMW X6 35d

Suzuki Burgman AN400

2006 C4S --gone

Queram:

I have been mute for a long while but reading the forum couple of times a day.   

Although I have said many times before that my first Porsche  (997.1 tiptronic 4S) was a bad choice on my behalf and long gone now,  I am eagerly waiting for 991 generation.  If it is anything like the above pics, I am in love!!!  Technically there is doubt on my side according to all the info we are reading here.  It will be one hell of a daily driver.  It will be hard since I have no fun toys except my Agusta to play with but I will probably wait a year for the glitches to be taken care of if I can keep myself wise enough. 

And this time in Carrera S trim; not 4S Smiley

I may return to Porsche with 991, this renderings are promising and I like the new interior, but my ultimate goal is to buy F458 in 2 years time. .

--

ONUR

11 M3 Coupe AW

09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM