Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Collected my GTS today

@John H: Shell V-Power is 98 RON in France and Belgium, 99 RON in the UK, 100 RON in Germany and Italy. This is what I have seen when I've driven through those countries

In Germany, you can buy Aral Ultimate which I understand is 102 RON.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

If Shell V-Power is 99 RON in the UK...so be it!  The quicker then I'll get back to an average of 98 RON!

1 RON above 98 RON should make no difference, so neither here nor there then!

Can't see why this fuel differs in various European countries?

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Hahaha Cheers John!

Nothing quite like the sound of screaming guitars ;-)

John H:

Can't see why this fuel differs in various European countries?

Probably influenced by the capabilities and capacities of the refineries in the various countries.

--

fritz

Got some good, honest 98 in it yet, John?   Can't believe the dealer put 95 in - the only time I do that is if I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere and really can't get 98.  Then buy a small amount and top up with 98 asap.

--

2007 987S, KW v3 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

Can't believe the dealer put 95 in - the only time I do that is if I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere and really can't get 98.  Then buy a small amount and top up with 98 asap.

Me too.  

Great car John

--

Gen II Cayman S

DaveGordon:

Got some good, honest 98 in it yet, John?   Can't believe the dealer put 95 in - the only time I do that is if I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere and really can't get 98.  Then buy a small amount and top up with 98 asap.

That's exactly what I did with my previous car Dave... and will do with the GTS..Smiley

Topped up twice now with 98, so I guess I'm running at around 97 currently..Smiley

--

Thanks GR...

--

Got accused yesterday, at a filling station by a Cayenne driver, of putting false stickers on my car...

Said he'd never heard of a Carrera GTS - I told him to go google it...or words to that effect!

--

You could have pulled his leg back by saying his Cayenne isn't a real Porsche   (I know it is but he was out of line so he deserved a tongue lashing )

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

When it was Shell Optimax it was 98 RON.  Now that it is V-Power it is indeed 99 RON in the UK.

--

- "I see dead pixels..."

- “When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.”

John H:

Got accused yesterday, at a filling station by a Cayenne driver, of putting false stickers on my car...

Said he'd never heard of a Carrera GTS - I told him to go google it...or words to that effect!

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity! Smiley
    There is so much wrong with this Cayenne driver's behavior, it's hard to describe.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:
    John H:

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity! Smiley
    There is so much wrong with this Cayenne driver's behavior, it's hard to describe.

I know a word that covers it, asshole. 

That's pretty much what I called him, but not to his face!  I almost mentioned Rennteam to him but, on reflection, didn't think he was the sort of guy we need here..

BTW - following advice from Lukas, I'm now using Sport Plus for open road driving during break-in.  It's not easy keeping to 4000 revs, but boy is it rewarding.

This car gets better and better..

--

I bet.  And just wait until you can really open it up. 

John H:

BTW - following advice from Lukas, I'm now using Sport Plus for open road driving during break-in.  It's not easy keeping to 4000 revs, but boy is it rewarding.

This car gets better and better..

We do the same with the Cayman - PDK is a simply amazing piece of kit, we'd never go back to manual now.

If our car is anything to go by your GTS must be really something quite special. Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

DC - How many miles do you have on the Cayman...have you completed break-in yet?

--

John H:

DC - How many miles do you have on the Cayman...have you completed break-in yet?

Hi John Smiley

Not yet mileage is 1,300 inadvertently exceeded 5,500 rpm a couple of times, albeit on light throttle. Can't wait to unleash it! We use PDK sport in auto or sport plus in manual all the time.

We'll start venturing further when my ship refit season ends in mid March. Until then, long hours and long daily commute leaves me pretty whacked. Smiley

Like yours the car keeps getting better.....Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

Hi John,

sorry, I missed your post earlier. 

CONGRATULATIONS  Great looking car, fascinating! Enjoy it a lot! 

Hey John,

...forgot to mention that my GTS came with the Michelin Pilot Sports...so there must have been a few sets of them still laying around...before Michelin introduces their new "Sport" line of tires...later this spring I guess??  I like the Pilot Sports...had them on my 986S before I swicthed to the Sport "Cup" tires.  I will enjoy these standard PS tires for their "all weather" advantages at this time of year...and for general all around use during my "break-in" period.

How's your coupe doing?  How many miles do you have on her now??  

Lars997:

Hi John,

sorry, I missed your post earlier. 

CONGRATULATIONS  Great looking car, fascinating! Enjoy it a lot! 

Many thanks Lars, I'm enjoying it immensely..

--

doug1950:

Hey John,

...forgot to mention that my GTS came with the Michelin Pilot Sports...so there must have been a few sets of them still laying around...before Michelin introduces their new "Sport" line of tires...later this spring I guess??  I like the Pilot Sports...had them on my 986S before I swicthed to the Sport "Cup" tires.  I will enjoy these standard PS tires for their "all weather" advantages at this time of year...and for general all around use during my "break-in" period.

How's your coupe doing?  How many miles do you have on her now??  

Hi Doug,

You were lucky to get PS2's...I was told there was no chance!!  Having said that, I'm still happy with the Bridgestones so far... but won't know for sure until I can open her up for real!

Have only managed 350 miles in 10 days of ownership so still very much breaking-in.  Haven't been able to take a drive every day, but have a decent trip coming up next week so will be able to report more fully following that...Smiley

--

John,

I just got up to 180 miles today (I'm trying to catch up to you!)  ...but since I got the car on Thursday (today is Saturday) I have been able to take a couple of nice drives, along with the 60 miles home from the dealer on Thursday.

You are absolutely right when you said "she gets better with every drive"!   ...but the suspense of not being able to "let' her rip" is killing me!!  

I have only sneaked past 5,000 RPM a few times...dontcha love that exhaust note??   

To be honest, although it's too early to gauge at high revs, the exhaust note is the one area where the GTS falls down compared to my previous C2S with PSE and the 'always-on' mod.  I miss the gurgling and bubbling on the over-run as well as the sheer high decibels..

I also miss the full-on involvement of a manual shift but, as I say, it's early days and the overall GTS experience is intoxicating!

--

John H:

To be honest, although it's too early to gauge at high revs, the exhaust note is the one area where the GTS falls down compared to my previous C2S with PSE and the 'always-on' mod.  I miss the gurgling and bubbling on the over-run as well as the sheer high decibels..

I also miss the full-on involvement of a manual shift but, as I say, it's early days and the overall GTS experience is intoxicating!

Funny, I DEFINITELY get the gurgling and bubbling you mention with the high performance exhaust manifolds in sport mode! 

...and i do love this sweet, manual 6 speed with the short shifter  Smiley   ...and I can't wait to get this beauty out on the track...hope by March or April. 

I have paddle shifters on my little turbo Acura RDX (daily driver), so I don't feel totally left out of today's high tech transmisssion world!  Smiley

Keep up the comments and reviews, thanks!   Smiley

doug1950:
    John H:

Funny, I DEFINITELY get the gurgling and bubbling you mention with the high performance exhaust manifolds in sport mode! 

Keep up the comments and reviews, thanks!   Smiley

Maybe you're hearing things in your cab that I'm missing in my coupé..Smiley

PSE will get louder & better as time goes on..Smiley

Stuck another 100 miles on her today and topped up again with 99 RON - so should now be running on 98..Smiley

--

Maybe you're hearing things in your cab that I'm missing in my coupé..Smiley

PSE will get louder & better as time goes on..Smiley

Stuck another 100 miles on her today and topped up again with 99 RON - so should now be running on 98..Smiley

Perhaps John, but I doubt I hear anything you can't hear!  The PSE in your old C2S was probably louder, that's all...and  after all, I am just a "novice" with the PSE in the GTS...so I am hearing every little sound VERY clearly for the first time! Smiley

I like the idea of our notes getting even louder over time!  YESSSS!!!  Smiley

I did no driving today...rainy day over here in NorCal...so I detailed the hell out of her!  She's looking pristine!!  Smiley  Amazing how we can do such a better job detailing than a Porsche Dealer!  Smiley 

Now, with any luck, the sun will shine for a change here tomorrow so I can take some nice, clean photos! ...installers are coming to install the "clear armour" on Tuesday...will take some photos of that.

I wish I could get the kind of higher octane gas that you can get!  All we have in California is 91...unless I want to drive 80 miles to the nearest race track (Sears Point) where I could get 95, 98, and even 100. Smiley

Glad to hear you got in 100 miles today...way to go!! Smiley

doug1950:

I wish I could get the kind of higher octane gas that you can get!  All we have in California is 91...unless I want to drive 80 miles to the nearest race track (Sears Point) where I could get 95, 98, and even 100. Smiley

Doug - regarding fuel octane ratings, there was a discussion here some years ago about the difference between the European and US markets...

I remember RC saying...

"US bound cars have a different motronic software because Porsche seems to be aware that in the US, not every fuel station has 95 octane (US) fuel. Many 997 owners are using 93 octane (US) as far as I heard.  If my calculations are right, 93 octane US translate into 96 octane in Europe."

Another member (The Groom) added...

"There are several octane ratings:

Research Octane Number (RON), the highest (because of the test procedure). RON is advertized in Europe.
    Motor Octane Number (MON). In most cases, MON = RON - 10.
    Pump Octane Number: MON-RON average. Advertized in the US.

A good rule of thumb is to add 5 to the US rating to get the European rating.

In most European countries I've been to, unleaded is 95 RON (90 PON), premium 98 RON (93 PON)"

Hope this helps...Smiley

--

I have heard about some of the differences in the ratings and the Europe vs U.S. issues...but thanks for the additional details. Good info 

I'll do a bit more research on this with the local PCNA folks too.  I do know that my 986S always ran a little better when I mixed in a little 95 or 98 (with the 91 in the tank) at the race track.  I expect the GTS would like that as well!    

Thanks again...have a great week!   

One thing I've noticed is the oil pressure is way lower on the GTS than with my previous car...

Whereas the C2S always registered near maximum, the GTS is mid-range pretty much at all times,

Maybe, when I finally let her go, she will respond but currently she registers 3.0 maximum at 4000 revs.

Is this normal for the DFI engine??

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759519 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433695 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259722 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256857 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80574 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870641 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805631 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM