Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

Turbo4ever:
    throt:

The new GT3 is going to be sick, cant wait....

I hope there will be PDK for the GT3, but that's maybe the GTS?Smiley

Now that it seems that the 991 GT3 will be using the DFI engine as all the other 911 variants, this means that it will be at least posible to fit it with PDK now, since before the GT1 block prevented this. So it a matter of if they want to do it or not, but now its posible.

Porsche has always argued that the reason for not fitting the PDK on the GT variants is because the philosophy of the GT variants implied a manual gearbox and they did not want to fit a PDK on these cars. But I think this was just to hide that they could not fit on the GT1 blcok engine. So I think they will offer it, as an option, but probably will because even though I preffer the manual gearbox myself, I I think there will be a big demand for it on the GT cars, and will also help it performance and track figures.

--

RC:
    Atzporsche:

RC claims they won't be like this and instead more Audi like.. But they will probably take some hints in shape and layout. Just hoping there will be a possibility for a strip like in the good old days.

No, they will be like this but in these larger photos, you can actually see the "structure" I mentioned. Sorry for the confusion. Smiley

The only reason I'm waiting for the 991 is the beauty of this car (yes, really), the new interior and of course the highly improved chassis/PDK/traction control system (track times should be substantially improved).

I really wanted the GTS because it is really a very good offer, even the 997 Turbo S attracted me but I need to stay calm and make a wise decision next year (997 Carrera S or maybe Turbo again...). Dammit...this happens if one has too many choices. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

You mean 991...?

Carlos from Spain:

Porsche has always argued that the reason for not fitting the PDK on the GT variants is because the philosophy of the GT variants implied a manual gearbox and they did not want to fit a PDK on these cars. But I think this was just to hide that they could not fit on the GT1 blcok engine. So I think they will offer it, as an option, but probably will because even though I preffer the manual gearbox myself, I I think there will be a big demand for it on the GT cars, and will also help it performance and track figures.

I fully agree , and they can not not offer it . The gain in track time is just too much + lots of customers have now become found of  paddles + the concurrence all have it.

The choice will be very difficult.  Choosing between being faster and more efficient ( which provides lots of pleasure ) or being more involved ( which provides lots of pleasure ) Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Gnil:

The choice will be very difficult.  Choosing between being faster and more efficient ( which provides lots of pleasure ) or being more involved ( which provides lots of pleasure ) Smiley

Thats indeed the dilema, and its not a black and white choice for everyone either, so personally I think they should offer both gearboxes and let the customer decide! Smiley

Imagine the acceleration figures and the track lap times of a 991 GT2 with PDK Smiley even with the GT3 it will break new records...

--

Carlos from Spain:

Imagine the acceleration figures and the track lap times of a 991 GT2 with PDK Smiley even with the GT3 it will break new records...

I agree that a 991 GT2 with PDK will be incredibly fast on the track, but I don't think there is much benefit for the GT3.  With a turbocharged motor, there is a huge benefit in never losing boost while shifting.  However, a well driven Manual GT3 should not be much slower than a PDK one, especially since PDK adds around 60 pounds of mass.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Grant:
    Carlos from Spain:

I agree that a 991 GT2 with PDK will be incredibly fast on the track, but I don't think there is much benefit for the GT3.  With a turbocharged motor, there is a huge benefit in never losing boost while shifting.  However, a well driven Manual GT3 should not be much slower than a PDK one, especially since PDK adds around 60 pounds of mass.

Very true, that is why I said "even with the GT3", but it will still benefit though. I drove the 997.2 CarreraS with PDK and just the PDK is so efficient it makes it feel like its got 30HP extra and its much easier to drive fast, so imagine a 450HP 991GT3 with second generation PDK. Even though the difference will not be so big than in a GT2, from my experience I'd bet that it will definately be faster in lap times, and acceleration figures especially from standstill.

--

Yep, definitely better from standstill with Launch Control/PDK.  But I'm old fashioned, so I'll stay with manual for myself.  Maybe when the new 991 GT3 with PDK is available, we might see some very good bargains on the 997 GT3

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

Grant:

Yep, definitely better from standstill with Launch Control/PDK.  But I'm old fashioned, so I'll stay with manual for myself.  Maybe when the new 991 GT3 with PDK is available, we might see some very good bargains on the 997 GT3

Don't get me wrong, I'm just like you Smiley, no matter how efficient the PDK is, I won't give up the pleasure and involvement, and challenge of the manual either! Smiley

--

Grant:

Maybe when the new 991 GT3 with PDK is available, we might see some very good bargains on the 997 GT3

Hope not :-)  I am going to hold onto mine and wait for it to become a classic !!

Carlos from Spain:
    Turbo4ever:
    throt:

The new GT3 is going to be sick, cant wait....

I hope there will be PDK for the GT3, but that's maybe the GTS?Smiley

Now that it seems that the 991 GT3 will be using the DFI engine as all the other 911 variants, this means that it will be at least posible to fit it with PDK now, since before the GT1 block prevented this. So it a matter of if they want to do it or not, but now its posible.

Agree and track car should have the fastest gearbox, they should put a faster and lighter gearbox than the normal 911 for the GT cars.Smiley

Grant:
    Carlos from Spain:

20 KG more than manual, I hope there will be a lighter one for the GT cars

strange enough, now that i have a gt2 i am actually looking forward to a standard carrera......maybe even convertible.

as i do not track (for lack of a track), the all out porsche's do not make sense for me.......unfotunately.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

strange enough, now that i have a gt2 i am actually looking forward to a standard carrera......maybe even convertible.

as i do not track (for lack of a track), the all out porsche's do not make sense for me.......unfotunately.

Smart move.

--
    Happy Driving

Turbo4ever:
    Grant:

I always heard 60 pounds (27kg).  Anyways, since the gearbox in a GT car has much more mechanical and thermal stress, it will likely be heavier (not lighter) than the one in the Carrera.

--

Grant:
    Turbo4ever:
    Grant:

I always heard 60 pounds (27kg).  Anyways, since the gearbox in a GT car has much more mechanical and thermal stress, it will likely be heavier (not lighter) than the one in the Carrera.

Thanks, so lets hope they will save weight in some other places

Few more shots

http://www.worldcarfans.com/111012130512/2012-porsche-boxster-spied-along-with-next-911---new-details

box911.jpg

box9112.jpg

--
    Happy Driving

Ooooooooooh.

They're looking GOOD. The Boxster finally has its taillights on! Not to mention the camo coming off of its front fascia, giving us a better look at the shape of the air intakes. Doesn't look like a far cry from the 987 but hey, that's a good thing.

And the hips on the 991, good God. Is it me, or does that look like an adaptive cruise control radar in the front center intake?

I can't wait anymore. Thanks Ron, good find.

rulesdontapply

Grant:
    Carlos from Spain:

very very well said...  the pdk is incredible with a NA car,  but the PDK with turbos is UNBELIEVABLE PERFORMANCE!!!

the  non stop boost factor really puts turbos car with DCT in a differente LEAGUE!!!!

2011-Porsche-991_Sweden-snow-05.jpg

nice to see the front grill!

Lars997:

I don't like the LED's in the front corners like the 997.2 turbo has. Think the LED's on the carrera's is far better placed and give the car better precense. Hope they come up with a good looking placement of the front LED's... The 991 will be awesome! Can't wait to put my order in  Question is wether I'm going for the S or the 4S..

--

Current: 997.2 C2S Meteorgrey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Lukas

Can't wait to put my order in  Question is wether I'm going for the S or the 4S..

If RC is correct there could be a 991GTS - that would be worth a look at..? Smiley

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Very interesting to see how similar Boxter and Carrera are in the front view again. I think the Boxter will be pretty well. Thanks for the pics. :-)
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Lukas:
    Lars997:

I don't like the LED's in the front corners like the 997.2 turbo has. Think the LED's on the carrera's is far better placed and give the car better precense. Hope they come up with a good looking placement of the front LED's... The 991 will be awesome! Can't wait to put my order in  Question is wether I'm going for the S or the 4S..

I think it is just a sticker

Just as a point of reference of future Porsche design, check out the front fog lights on the Porsche 918 RSR...

918-RSR_Front-Lights-01.jpg

918-RSR_Front-Lights-02.jpg

918-RSR_Front-Lights-03.jpg

Smiley SmileySmiley

The article below on the Porsche 911 from Auto Express makes reference to: "a more significantly sculpted rear end, with design cues borrowed from the 918"...

Latest shots of Porsche’s next 911

Porsche’s cleaner, meaner 911 gets stuck in the snow during cold weather tests in Scandinavia...

(19 January 2011)

Porsche’s next 911 is just eight months away from making its global debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show. Codenamed the 991, Porsche’s engineers are putting the finishing touches to the next 911’s next generation of PASM in snowy Scandinavia. 

Unlucky for this development driver, he misjudged a slow speed right hander, burying this prototype in a snow bank. The driver’s misfortune gave our spy photographer chance to snap away, revealing more of the new car’s secrets.

The 991 model is a little longer and wider than the car is replaces, giving a little extra space in the 911’s snug cabin. The driver has been moved forward a little, and the wheelbase is now 100mm longer, giving more cabin space, particularly in the rear.

New design details include larger, composite front wing pontoons which house all-LED headlights, slightly deeper side sills and door-mounted wing mirrors, and a more significantly sculpted rear end, with design cues borrowed from the 918 Spyder concept.   

The new 911 shares its front suspension and steering with the next Boxster, to cut costs. However, the rear suspension, and calibrations for the adjustable dampers remains unique. The car also gets the option of dynamic engine mounts and ceramic brakes for improved agility and reduced weight respectively. 

The engine range follows the current car, with the 3.6-litre flat-six Carrera model’s power and torque rising 20bhp and 20Nm respectively, to 365bhp and 400Nm. The 3.8-litre unit in the Carrera S boasts the same gains, taking power to 415bhp and torque to 440Nm.

Despite the power increase, tweaks to the direct injection system and the addition of brake regeneration and stop start reduce fuel consumption by 12 per cent.

A six-speed manual gearbox will be standard, and the seven-speed PDK will be an option. Most buyers are likely to opt for the auto though, as around 80 per cent of current 911’s feature the PDK dual clutch gearbox.

The 991 911 will make its debut at next September’s Frankfurt Motor Show, and goes on sale in the UK the following month. More powerful 911 Turbo, GT3 and GT2 models will follow in 2012.

Porsche-911-winter-testing_AutoExpress-article-link

...I wonder if the Porsche 991 rear bumper will curve up under the rear spoiler lip, in line with the sculpted rear spoiler on the Porsche 918 RSR concept? Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

That may very well be right, as it solves the issue with the design lines that I pointed out earlier. Will be interesting to see. Can one of the more skilled photoshop gurus please post the rear end shapes of the 918 -including the bumper/rear light cluster curbing under the 991 spoiler- ? Please? Wildspeed?

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

1295718743496ZY 151 misha 02.JPG

Looks good Misha!
    If we combine that with the lower part as well (Notice how on the 991 prototypes, the entire bumper is still camouflage... there could be anything under that), it might actually turn out to be a feasible design! ;-)

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Misha011:

1295718743496ZY 151 misha 02.JPG

not bad
     I like this taillights more

looks like an Audi!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688350 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408626 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255490 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234732 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65362 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857504 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773241 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM