Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Collected my GTS today

I think it's the way the oil pumps (I think 2) work. They are variable speed pumps and they spin according to what is needed. You will also notice that when idling with cold engine, oil pressure is not near max like in other cars but at around 1.5 bar.

This variable speed pumps are supposed to reduce the effects of oil starvation in the absence of a proper dry sump lubrication system.

--

"Form follows function"

doug1950:

I have heard about some of the differences in the ratings and the Europe vs U.S. issues...but thanks for the additional details. Good info 

I'll do a bit more research on this with the local PCNA folks too.  I do know that my 986S always ran a little better when I mixed in a little 95 or 98 (with the 91 in the tank) at the race track.  I expect the GTS would like that as well!    

Thanks again...have a great week!   

93 octane US equals 96 octane Europe.

98 octane is mandatory for Porsche cars in Europe but  95 octane should be just fine too for a short period of time. 95 octane = 92 octane US.

The motronic software of US-bound cars is adapted to 91-93 octane US as far as I remember. Using higher octane ratings may improve performance only on turbo charged Porsche models and only in a very limited manner. Using high octane racing fuel all the time can be harmful for the engines on a longterm run because this fuel usually doesn't contain the usual "additives" (anti-corrosion, cleaning effect, etc.) large fuel producers usually add to their "consumer" fuels.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

93 octane US equals 96 octane Europe.

98 octane is mandatory for Porsche cars in Europe but  95 octane should be just fine too for a short period of time. 95 octane = 92 octane US.

The motronic software of US-bound cars is adapted to 91-93 octane US as far as I remember. Using higher octane ratings may improve performance only on turbo charged Porsche models and only in a very limited manner. Using high octane racing fuel all the time can be harmful for the engines on a longterm run because this fuel usually doesn't contain the usual "additives" (anti-corrosion, cleaning effect, etc.) large fuel producers usually add to their "consumer" fuels.

Thanks RC, that follows the information and recommendations I got from PCNA.  Smiley

Just setting off on a 3 day trip - should be close to break-in when I get back..

Will post report then..

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Wonderful - have fun John 

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Have a great time Smiley

--

Porsche Cayman S PDK Aqua Blue / Ocean Blue  (November 10) : Toyota Yaris D4D (Oct 10) 

Enjoy the ride John!     You're way ahead of me...I just got her to 400 miles yesterday.

Have fun! 

Im already fast 3000 km Break in period, couldnt post more in The last two Werks because i was Away on Business and driving! Some observations: The 911 doesnt have have The high Speed stability of The cayman. Needs more corrections because of Sidewind on The Autobahn. Is it because of The shorter wheelbase? The gts is very very grippy, Even with winter tires (Today was very very warm so Winter tires were Not Perfect). The Sport Mode ist just perfct for sporty driving on twisty Roads! When driving Home on The Autobahn and in The City The normal Mode is very relaxed. Im still amazed by The broad Band of different possibilities of Adaption of The Car to The current driving Situation. The Car is very entertaining and Offers somewhat more depth of driving Experience Compared to The cayman. The Power is terrific, pulls really hard. Although The Engine isnt Full free yet. Ps: put ZAINO on it, unbelievable! Would like to hear more driving observations from Other GTS drivers, Cheers Nick

Hi Nick, John H mentioned your name to me as a new GTS driver.  Glad to meet you!      ...and thanks for your driving reviews! 

I agree with your comments...the grip of the car is absolutely fastenating in Sport Mode!...got mine up to 110 mph today on a nice sweeping curve out in the country...the car behaves perfectly to driver inputs...steering is so precise...and it seems to have an absolutely relentless band of power!  

It is so much more solid, tight and powerful than my '03 986S was, however, it is indeed different compared to the mid-engine car.  ...but the power + PSM + Sport Mode + Limited Slip Diff makes the car so much more fun!! ...and easy to drive VERY fast too! 

I would say the GTS is a "sneaky fast" car...and will be completely thrilling and exhilarating on the race track...for sure!!     ...hope to get out on the track by March or April.

My odometer just passed 500 miles today...and I am pushing the car a little further up the RPM's with each drive during the "break-in period". 

John is right...the GTS is getting better with every drive!    ...and so is the driver!!        

Keep the comments coming...thanks Nick!  

Back from my mini-trip, but didn’t put as many miles on the GTS as I’d hoped. Smiley

Travelled south via the M6 motorway as it was Sunday and traffic was comparatively light.  Took great care to vary speed and revs regularly as part of the break-in routine.

First stop was one of our favourite retreats at Symonds Yat in the Wye Valley.  Very unspoiled and peaceful surroundings bordering the Forest of Dean.

Arriving at our hotel...

P1000041.JPG

P1000042.JPG

View from our bedroom window...

P1000038.JPG

Stayed overnight here and then on to South Wales where we met up with old friends and some of my wife’s family.  She’s half Welsh and half Swedish - strange combination - just shaves under one arm!  Smiley Smiley

We'd intended to go on from here to Devon to see my family, but circumstances prevented this, so we stayed another night in Symonds Yat.

Frosty morning - some shots at a turning point...P1000045.JPG

P1000048.JPG

P1000049.JPG

The following day we did some shopping in Monmouth and set off for home using the A49 which has some interesting twisties to play with.  The GTS handles beautifully and the anti-roll and LSD is very evident.. even with break-in restrictions. Smiley

The weather conditions were pretty grim for the first two days but brighter for the trip back.  The car was very stable even in high winds and driving rain.  I did find constantly checking revs, gear selection and speed, as well as watching where you’re going, got a bit tiring!

Have now done just over 1000 miles, so there’s still some breaking-in to do. 

Will post a driving report when I’m able to open her up and see what she’s made of!

Home at twilight.. safe but very dirty!!

P1000054.JPG

P1000052.JPG

P1000056.JPG

--

Thanks for the nice pics and the detail information about welsh girls...

Blueflame

"She’s half Welsh and half Swedish - strange combination - just shaves under one arm!"  Smiley Smiley..

Hahaha, lmao....

Gr8 pics, John ...

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

Gorgeous car - glad you had a good trip  

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Excellent. Will have to check you Symonds Yat, very pretty.

--

"We all love the music. What we hope is that the music loves us." -- Tom Waits

Carrageous:

Excellent. Will have to check you Symonds Yat, very pretty.

Yes, it's well worth a visit...

This photo is from Yat Rock - the view is stunning..Smiley

Symonds Yat Rock View.JPG

--

Gorgeous, car and surroundings in equal measure... Thanks for sharing the pics!

Brilliant John!

Lap Goch

Thanks for the pics John, very nice!   ...beautiful countryside there!  

The GTS is indeed amazingly fun...even during the break-in! 

Nice trip John ! the cars and the place, both looking great. 

Thanks for sharing the nice photos, John. I really enjoyed your report. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Many thanks for all your comments guys, I look forward to giving you my full driving impressions when I complete the break-in...

@ Blueflame -  thanks, but not all Welsh girls are half Swedish...

@ Throt - glad you got the joke Keith - not sure all our overseas buddies did..

@ Easy - thanks, the trip would have been better had we got to Devon, but business is business!!

@ Porker - thanks Frank - hope we can meet up soon..

@ Spyderidol -  "Llap Goch" - so you remember Python .. pity Boss69 isn't still with us..

@ Doug 1950 - The GTS is fun...but I'll be glad when the break-in is completed..

@ Enmanuel - thanks, Symonds Yat is the perfect place to unwind and relax... no mobile signal and no TV.

@ RC - thanks Christian...It's my pleasure and I appreciate your post..

--

@ Doug 1950 - The GTS is fun...but I'll be glad when the break-in is completed..

John,

Yeah, it will be nice to finally hit the 2,000 miles, however, I have been varying the engine revs up to about 5,500 RPM, as my mechanic has recommended.   He believes in not being "too soft" while breaking in the car.     He also believes the harder you drive the car (gradually) the better off the engine is in the long run. 

How are you breaking in your car?   ...and how many miles do you have on her now?

I put 700 miles on over last weekend...now at 1,300 miles.  I have noticed the brakes are much more responsive and steady now...compared to the first few hundred miles.  I found that many "hard stops" were needed to break in the brakes.  How about you?

Also...do you feel a significant difference in the throttle response during sport mode?   

Cheers! 

doug1950:

John,

Yeah, it will be nice to finally hit the 2,000 miles, h

Funny how over here the manual says break in period in 'only' to 2000 km Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

I'm with you Gnil!     At 1300 miles, I just passed 2000 km!

I'm using your manual, OK?    

Gnil - the UK manual recommends break-in for 3000 km (1865 miles)..

I'm with you Doug.. let's use Gnil's manual..

I'm lagging behind you now having clocked only 1150 miles...haven't used the GTS for a few days as I've been doing very short trips, so have used the Mini instead. 

Will be taking a longer trip tomorrow and should get to 2000km.  Will definitely start to open up a bit now..maybe to 5,500 revs..but only when fully warmed up of course.

Although I was warned that oil consumption would be high during break-in, fact is it hasn't used a drop?  Fuel consumption however is around 21 mpg compared with 26 mpg on my C2S.

How are you finding it with oil and fuel?

--

John H:

I'm lagging behind you now having clocked only 1150 miles...haven't used the GTS for a few days as I've been doing very short trips, so have used the Mini instead. 

Will be taking a longer trip tomorrow and should get to 2000km.  Will definitely start to open up a bit now..maybe to 5,500 revs..but only when fully warmed up of course.

Although I was warned that oil consumption would be high during break-in, fact is it hasn't used a drop?  Fuel consumption however is around 21 mpg compared with 26 mpg on my C2S.

How are you finding it with oil and fuel?

You're right John, I checked my manual...3000 km it is!    ...but still a tad better than 2,000 miles!  

I would not be too concerned with the higher revs (yes, after warm up!) since they test these engines for a considerabe time at revs up to 7300+ RPM before being installed in the car. 

I have had 3 long stints of 100 - 200 miles each and varied the gears, revs and braking a little more each time during the trips...good for her muscles and joints, right?? Smiley

I agree, not a drop of oil burned yet!  ...a bit surprising yes.  Smiley  ...dealer even gave me a quart to carry with me...but haven't touched it.

Gas mileage a bit lower than I had hoped.   Smiley  ...my best on a long stint was 22, however, I have not been in 6th gear "cruise control" for any long stretch...that would help highway mpg.

Hopefully mpg also "improves with age"!   Smiley

Varying gears and revs, although essential for correct break-in, is bound to have an impact on mpg.  So you're right  - it should improve..

Strange about the oil though, wonder how Nick faired in this department..

--

John H:

Sorry, you guys are right , I had it wrong in my mind.  It is 3'000 km . It still saves 135 miles Smiley 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Too late Gnil - I've already red-lined it on your say so!  If anything goes wrong it will be all your fault!

Only joking of course..  but, honestly, I can't wait to take it to the top...

--

John H:

Too late Gnil - I've already red-lined it on your say so!  If anything goes wrong it will be all your fault!

Only joking of course..  but, honestly, I can't wait to take it to the top...

One day we might get to the point where you will be able to sue me for a false statement like that ... but for now I am safe Smiley

Anyway, there are so many theories on brake in methods...... Hope for your sake, that you choose the right one Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    800910 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    447646 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265467 323
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    264365 288
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89600 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6257 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

884605 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    830767 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM