Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Collected my GTS today

I hadnt given it a thought to post any pics, but come to think about it, I took hundreds on the weekend at his race debut, so watch this space!

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

IMG_5276_2.JPG

It's a 996 GT3 RS, with lowered suspension, and an upgraded exhaust system...  But more importantly for this thread: carbon fibre mirrors!

--

IMG_5514_2.JPG

I think they look great.  

--

IMG_5405_2.JPG

--

IMG_5331_2.JPG

OK, the last one so I don't clog up your browser, so that's about the closest one of the mirrors!

And that's a Dodge Viper being passed in the background.  It was a great day, and I'm pleased how my amateur photography turned out (so was he - he ended up with a fully documented debut, which he wasn't expecting.  Now, about that promotion..!

--

Oh, and of course thats not the original wing.  More black carbon..kiss

--

Budster,

Nice photos....promotion granted!     I have thought about cabon fiber mirrors too....look great with the carbon wing. 

...but not sure how well the CF would blend with the all the flat black we have...lower body trim, base of A pillar at mirrors,  chip guards and cabriolet top are all just flat black...black!   Would the carbon fiber look a little out of place? 

What do you think John and Blue??  

doug1950:

I have thought about cabon fiber mirrors too....look great with the carbon wing. 

...but not sure how well the CF would blend with the all the flat black we have...lower body trim, base of A pillar at mirrors,  chip guards and cabriolet top are all just flat black...black!   Would the carbon fiber look a little out of place? 

What do you think John and Blue??  

While I like CF detailing, I suspect it would look somewhat out of place if it was limited to the mirrors only.  Flat black's the way to go.  Smiley

Great photos Budster - many thanks for posting..kiss

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

@ Doug & PB...I took my car to an Indie paint shop yesterday.  The owner is an old friend and definitely devoid of any BS!  He has added flat black accents to many 911's including one C4S where he painted the roof black, together with the rear engine grill... something the car's owner wanted but, as my friend said, looked very OTT in his opinion!!

After some discussion, I've had a bit of a change of heart...  He suggested that painting the bottom of the mirrors in flat black would be the most effective and I've always agreed with that... price £100 total for both sides.

Then he changed my mind about the headlights!  His price to wrap the surrounds in flat black was £30 for the pair.  He's done it before and says it works really well with white!!  We'll see... but as has also been said, it can easily be removed if necessary.

I'm scheduled for a driving holiday from 11th June - so have booked the work to be done on my return together with a full detailing service...

The closest visual to the final result is likely to be Ferdie's illustration below...

Black lower mirror & headlights.png

Will post specific photos when the job has been done...wink

--

John , I'm surprised to see that you've decided to go ahead with the headlight surrounds - and looking forward to your feedback.  From initially being undecided on this, I had decided not to go ahead - but I'll be open to persuasion if it turns out really good.

I had also initially planned to go with the black only on the bottom of the mirrors, but I've recently started thinking of rather doing the top part (and leaving the bottom white).  If you want to get an idea of what this would look like, have a look at the mirrors on the white GT2 RS below.

GT2RS.jpg

John H:

The closest visual to the final result is likely to be Ferdie's illustration below...

Black lower mirror & headlights.png

Will post specific photos when the job has been done...wink

I tend to think it looks like a Panda bear.  But for GBP30 it's worth a try - it often looks so different in the flesh...

--

PureBlue:.

I had also initially planned to go with the black only on the bottom of the mirrors, but I've recently started thinking of rather doing the top part (and leaving the bottom white).  If you want to get an idea of what this would look like, have a look at the mirrors on the white GT2 RS below.

GT2RS.jpg

...and this reminds me of a Mr Kipling French Fancy:

White_Mr_Kipling_French_fancy_cake_(82524785)-1.jpg

Not for me thanks: I'm on a diet!

--

Budster:

White_Mr_Kipling_French_fancy_cake_(82524785)-1.jpg

Not for me thanks: I'm on a diet!

This just gave me the biggest desire to have come cake with dark chocolate ice cream on top. 

PureBlue:

John , I'm surprised to see that you've decided to go ahead with the headlight surrounds - and looking forward to your feedback.  From initially being undecided on this, I had decided not to go ahead - but I'll be open to persuasion if it turns out really good.

GT2RS.jpg

PB - Now you've really got me thinking!  I like the mirrors on the GT2 RS very much, but wonder whether the reason it looks so 'right' is because of the flat black bonnet??

This is a problem as, unlike the headlights wrap, it wouldn't be possible to undo the mirrors so easily if they looked 'wrong' on the GTS...Smiley

I'm getting the work done when I get back from our break, so have a little while to think about it..?

Methinks another visual from Ferdie wouldn't go amiss... hint, hint..Smiley

--

John H:

Methinks another visual from Ferdie wouldn't go amiss... hint, hint..Smiley

Hint, hint... perceived. Smiley

Not sure which variations you want to see so here you go, all at once:

13383059292500a.jpg

13383059352970b.jpg

13383059407770c.jpg

13383060585471.jpg

13383060655141a.jpg

13383060711881b.jpg

13383060779721c.jpg

13383061026302.jpg

2a.jpg

2b.jpg

2c.jpg

Last ones:

13383061401943.jpg

3a.jpg

3b.jpg

3c.jpg

In the UK in days of old, police cars used to look like the last picture: I now know why they were called Panda Cars...

Having said that, Ferdie, you are a star for doing all the mock-ups - I still do like the black mirrors, but not necessarily more than the stock car, so i'm keeping mine stock...

If anything, I would just have the writing on the door bigger, like the Cayman RS though (as Bluelines has it), rather than the GT3RS type...

--

Some matte variations:

5a.jpg

5b.jpg

5c.jpg

6a.jpg

6b.jpg

6c.jpg

Great PS job. John, i'd remove the original white mirrors, stock them and buy a second set to play with, just in case.

Go for the bottom bit black only, that's best looking.. more decent. The GT2 RS one just wouldn't fit... IMHO

Hey Ferdie, how about a black sunroof? Could I have all those variations again with this option, please? smiley

BTW, from all variations posted so far, this one looks best to me:

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Wow, thanks Ferdie - that makes it so much easier to evaluate all the options. Smiley

I still think the best options are either the very first (bottom part of mirrors black) or the second one (top part of mirrors black).  Will have to decide between the two.  Smiley

As an aside, I (very) briefly toyed with the idea of a matte black wrap for the bonnet (or hood, if you're American), but decided that would definitely be OTT on the GTS - although I must admit that I've always liked the two-tone design of the GT2 RS, especially the contrast between a carbon fibre hood and a nice Riviera or Mexico Blue.

Can't thank you enough Ferdie - what a fantastic job..cool

If we can't choose now then we never will...!! 

You are an absolute star... I'm so very grateful to you for the time you spent on this..wink

--

Amazing job Ferdie, congrats.

Great job!   Thanks Ferdie...but would you mind running through that menu again one more time pleeeease? ...in a cabriolet this time of course??    indecision   

Sorry....JUST  KIDDING!!    smiley

I made my decision a long time ago...all flat black mirrors to compliment the black cab top, chip guards, trim, etc.  It's the best combo for my car IMHO.   I also would buy a full set of mirrors flat black (if I can?) rather than paint them...that way I have both white and black to suit my (or next owner's) present and future change in taste!    wink

My body-shop guru's contention is that the result of wrapping the mirrors in flat black will be perfectly acceptable.

I'll probably take him up on this in mid-June... will post the result, together with the headlights wrap, when the time comes.  Both could be easily reversed...

--

You´re welcome, guys! Cabs and sunroofs are special orders through the Exclusive department. indecision

Looking forward to the outcome!

My body-shop Guru is on holiday - will get the job done in July...

We recently returned from a 1000 mile trip around the UK.... starting with a couple of nights in London, to catch a West End musical, ('Top Hat' at the Aldwych Theatre).  Our hotel was near Regents Park, overlooking Lords Cricket Ground.

View of Lords from our hotel room balcony..

Lords.JPG

A couple of shots in Regents Park..

Regents Park 1.JPG

Regents Park 2.JPG

After a bit of sight-seeing, which hadn't really changed that much since I was in College there, we moved on to see some family in Devon and South Wales and then stayed with friends in Wiltshire before heading for our favourite retreat in Symonds Yat on the Wye Valley. (I've posted photos of these places earlier in this thread) 

En Route we stopped off at Tintern Abbey...

Tintern 1.JPG

Tintern 2.JPG

Tintern 3.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintern_Abbey

We took the A49 home from Symonds Yat, which meant we were able to meet up and have lunch with Dreamcar & SWMBO who were on holiday in Shropshire.  They are a delightful couple and we spent a very pleasant couple of hours chatting and comparing cars!   Must say their new 911 looks magnificent in Aqua Blue..kiss

Dreamcar.JPG

Dreamcar (1).JPG

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765976 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437541 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261512 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258352 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82889 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5337 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877727 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810116 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM