Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Collected my GTS today

PureBlue:

Good comments, thanks guys.  I guess for that sort of outlay, one can't go wrong with the headlight surrounds.  As Pierre said, buy it, fit it, if it doesn't work - ditch it.  As for the mirrors, I'll have to get a price on those from Porsche - I have a feeling it ain't gonna be cheap! 

By the way, what's happened to all our GTS owners here - John, Doug, Simz, Kashmir, Gilmour, Budster, etc?  Would be good to hear how much you're enjoying your GTSs and what you've done with (or to) your cars recently.  Personally, I can say that I'm enjoying this car more every day and that I haven't been tempted for a second to replace it with a 991.  Smiley

Hi PureBlue

Like Budster - really busy. Managed to participate in the 1st ever Porsche road rally here in Dubai organised by the Porsche Club. Great fun with 40 various Porsche's taking part. I will check & see if my navigator has any good pics to post. My GTS celebrates her 1st birthday with a service at the OPC in four days - nailbiting! Been following the discussion on various mods with interest but finding someone competent here to do the work is the problem

... there you go:

John-1-0.jpg

No, wait...

John-1-1.jpg

John-1-2.jpg

Thanks Ferdie, that's great.  I especially like the first one.  Smiley

Seriously though, looking at these pictures I'm wondering if the black headlight surrounds wouldn't be a bit "too much".  I think it works well on, say, a blue car (like the Speedster in Pure Blue) or even a grey car (like the Sport Classic), but against the white background it might just be overkill.  Still like the mirrors, but I'll have to think again about the headlights.

PureBlue:

Seriously though, looking at these pictures I'm wondering if the black headlight surrounds wouldn't be a bit "too much".  I think it works well on, say, a blue car (like the Speedster in Pure Blue) or even a grey car (like the Sport Classic), but against the white background it might just be overkill.  Still like the mirrors, but I'll have to think again about the headlights.

I you're thinking about changing the mirrors, would it be possible to change to mk.I mirrors? I like the shape more than the big one of the mk.II, but I've no clue whether they're interchangeable.

Gilmour:

Hi PureBlue

Like Budster - really busy. Managed to participate in the 1st ever Porsche road rally here in Dubai organised by the Porsche Club. Great fun with 40 various Porsche's taking part. I will check & see if my navigator has any good pics to post. My GTS celebrates her 1st birthday with a service at the OPC in four days - nailbiting! Been following the discussion on various mods with interest but finding someone competent here to do the work is the problem

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car.  Pics of the rally would be great.  If I remember correctly, you're the only person I know of who owns a GTS in Speed Yellow.  Smiley

Porker:

I you're thinking about changing the mirrors, would it be possible to change to mk.I mirrors? I like the shape more than the big one of the mk.II, but I've no clue whether they're interchangeable.

Mk1?  Were those the mirrors on the 997.1?  If so, Porsche would probably still make those available (at a price), but not sure whether the fittings would work.  Also, I'd be reluctant to "cannibalise" the car too much, i.e. fit 997.1 mirrors to a 997.2.  Can't say the 997.2 mirrors have ever really bothered me.  Smiley

Anyway, I'm leaning more towards the black bottom part of the mirror, rather than going "full-black".

PureBlue:

You´re welcome. I agree on that. Here is a photoshop of the Sport Classic in white, the headlight surrounds are delicate enough not to become obnoxious but it might still be too much in the long term:

John-2-2.jpg

Porker:

I prefer the slimmer mirrors of the 997.1 as well and was under the impression that they are technically interchangeable. Not sure about the legal aspect, at least here in Germany.

That's exactly the reason I didn't reply yesterday!  I knew Ferdie (bless him) would come up with a visual..cool

That visual confirms my agreement with Pentium or, in your words, constitutes overkill.. definitely not on my to-do list..enlightened

The mirrors are still on that list, but not 100% on how much black to introduce or where to put it...yes

Generally speaking, the GTS continues to amaze me at times... even after 16 months.  Driving pleasure is all I could ask for and as much as I can handle without risking life, limb or licence..!

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Ferdie:

... there you go:

John-1-0.jpg

SmileySmileySmileySmiley

--

In my opinion, the black headlight rings I think would look good in a black car, but not in any other color, and in the case of white least of all, it looks as if its wearing eye mascara angry

Mirrors in black do look good in a white car kiss

--

John H:

Driving pleasure is all I could ask for and as much as I can handle without risking life, limb or licence..!

Well said!  Smiley

Carlos from Spain:
    Ferdie:

... there you go:

John-1-0.jpg

SmileySmileySmileySmiley

I laughed so hard when I saw this. 

Hey guys, good to hear from ya'll again!  ...a special hi to fellow GTS boys John H and Pure B. I am still loving every mile with the GTS....almost 11,000 miles and it just seems to keep getting better!! 

By the way Pure Blue, I spent two weeks in Cape Town during part of my vacation to South Africa back in March.  I swear that you have the BEST roads there in South Africa that I have ever driven...awesome!!  kiss  It was killing me not to have the GTS over there, expecially on the drive from Cape Town to the Cape of Good Hope...not to mention the Garden Route, etc., etc!!!  ...really outstanding drives you have there in SA...and you are so lucky to have your GTS there!!!   I tried driving my VW Polo rental car like the GTS...but something just didn't seem the same!???   cheeky

Pure Blue, I am with John and the other "no go's' on the black headlight surrounds as being OVERKILL, but I do love Ferdie's first Photoshop version! 

However, as stated in my last post (sometime in 2011?)...I am going to have the black film installed over the side mirrors...some day...I promise!  frown

The black film material will be the same as the clear film I have installed over the mirrors now.  You cannnot even tell it is on there and it is a great guard agains chips and easy to clean, especially if you like to track the car.

Thanks for bringing it up again...and perhpas this is just what I needed to get it done!    wink

I knew there was a reason I haven't had my mirrors blackened!  Now I remember..!  Doug was going to use the film and post the results with pics... Smiley

See - it's all your fault Doug!!  crying   Get it done immediately... smiley

Seriously, it's good to hear from you on R/T again - you have been missed..wink

--

Good to see you too John, thanks! 

OK, I am calling the installer today to check it out.   You have shamed me into it...I admit it!   laugh

...but thanks, I needed that!   kiss

Hi Doug, good to hear from you again - and glad to hear you're still loving your GTS.  Smiley

My mind's made up - no headlight surrounds.  I'd probably think of Ferdie's first photoshop every time I looked at my car.  Smiley  I'm still keen on the mirrors though, so I'll follow up on those.  I wish black film was an option for me, but after my last experience with vinyl wrapping a set of mirrors, I don't trust the local installers.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Cape Town, but you should have got in touch when you were here - you could have got some vicarious GTS thrills from the passenger seat.  Smiley

PureBlue:

Glad to hear you enjoyed Cape Town, but you should have got in touch when you were here - you could have got some vicarious GTS thrills from the passenger seat.  Smiley

What the heck???     Smiley

You mean you would not have even allowed me, a fellow GTS owner, to borrow your car for just a little day trip around the Cape?    Smiley

doug1950:

What the heck???     Smiley

You mean you would not have even allowed me, a fellow GTS owner, to borrow your car for just a little day trip around the Cape?    Smiley

Haha, nice try.  I guess you'll never know if you don't ask.  Smiley

Good to know for the next time I'm in California.  Smiley

You can drive mine anytime you're in Cheshire..kiss

Oulton Park and "The Triangle" are on my doorstep - just give me a few days notice...wink

--

Thanks John, I would love to take you up on that! kiss

Darn it Blue, I should have put you on my itinerary while I was in SA!  

You guys are also welcome to drive my baby here in northern California...should you ever get the opportunity to come this way!   ...about 80 miles east of San Francisco.   blush

I called the film installer regarding wrapping my mirrors...left a voice mail message...no return call yet...not impressed so far....and not holding my breath!   yes    I'll keep you posted if I get anywhere with it. 

wink

Enmanuel:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Ferdie:

... there you go:

John-1-0.jpg

SmileySmileySmileySmiley

I laughed so hard when I saw this. 

That made my day!

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Hey Pure Blue, I found the perfect match for you if you go with the "Ferdie look"!

Sally 911.JPG

This is definitely an insult to Ferdie!!  smiley

--

Hey John, 

Thanks to your kicking me in the butt, I finally took the car in today to the place that was recommended by my Porsche dealer where they do all kinds of the "custom color wraps"  on cars, boats, trailers...you name it!   The shop owner took a close look at the mirrors and was very open and honest with me. 

His statement went something like this: 

"Sir, I agree with your idea and black mirrors would look bitchin!!  ...and if your car was a Kia or a Hyundai I would do it for you, however, the shape and contours of these mirrors and the details involved in trying to do a good looking full black wrap are just too difficult to get good results.   I would not be happy with the job and neither would you!"   enlightened

I appreciated his honesty so it's back to square one!  Either I buy a set of black mirrors or have the white ones painted black.   I think I am leaning towards buying the new black mirrors...if I can get a "flat black" color from Porsche that matches the stone chip guards.  yes    ...otherwise I will have to get the mirrors painted to match the chip guards.

I do not want glossy black mirrors on the car when everything else that is black is a low gloss or flat black.  

Sorry it took so long to get this information.   

wink

doug1950:

Either I buy a set of black mirrors or have the white ones painted black.   I think I am leaning towards buying the new black mirrors...if I can get a "flat black" color from Porsche that matches the stone chip guards.  yes    ...otherwise I will have to get the mirrors painted to match the chip guards.

I do not want glossy black mirrors on the car when everything else that is black is a low gloss or flat black.

Having previously had a bad experience with wrapping mirrors, I came to the same conclusion.  I approached the local OPC a few weeks ago and asked them to provide a quote on a set of black mirrors.  The reply was that these parts are not available from Porsche, but that the in-house bodyshop would be happy to paint them for me.  Their quote for painting both mirrors in full came to the equivalent of about USD900 (including tax of 14%).

I'm actually considering doing the top section only (rather than the full mirror or the bottom section).  It looks like this would reduce the quote to about USD700.

The drawback of this approach is, of course, that it is irreversible (i.e. you can't simply revert to white if you decide you don't like the black).  Also, I didn't check that they could do it in flat rather than glossy black - this will have to be the next step, as I agree it's important to match the other black bits. 

PureBlue:
    The reply was that these parts are not available from Porsche, but that the in-house bodyshop would be happy to paint them for me.  Their quote for painting both mirrors in full came to the equivalent of about USD900 (including tax of 14%).

Thanks Blue, I will check with my dealer to see if I get the same response on availability ...and get their estimate for painting too.  Smiley

I'm visiting an Indie paint shop tomorrow to chew over some ideas and get some prices...broken heart

Will let you know what comes of it....

--

My boss' 996 GT3 RS has them in Au naturel carbon fibre on a white car.  Very nice....

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

Budster:

My boss' 996 GT3 RS has them in Au naturel carbon fibre on a white car.  Very nice....

Any chance of some photos..?

Does he have any other carbon 'bits' on it.. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690571 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409821 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256056 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235290 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858505 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774766 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM