Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

"Cajun" Name Will Be Replaced On Production Version

At the Detroit Auto Show Matthias Muller said that the small Cayenne would get a name change before it went into production: 

There’s also a small SUV called the “Cajun” (pronounced “kah-YOON”) in the works. Müller said he realized they’ll have to think of a new name for the production version after American colleagues started pronouncing it “kay-jun”.

Here's the link to the Forbes article containing the quote:

blogs.forbes.com/hannahelliott/2011/01/13/porsche-plans-small-cajun-suv-new-sports-car-under-boxster/

Re: "Cajun" Name Will Be Replaced On Production Version

GM Austin:
    At the Detroit Auto Show Matthias Muller said that the small Cayenne would get a name change before it went into production: 

There’s also a small SUV called the “Cajun” (pronounced “kah-YOON”) in the works. Müller said he realized they’ll have to think of a new name for the production version after American colleagues started pronouncing it “kay-jun”.

Here's the link to the Forbes article containing the quote:

blogs.forbes.com/hannahelliott/2011/01/13/porsche-plans-small-cajun-suv-new-sports-car-under-boxster/

So they hadn't googled the word "Cajun" until they heard their American colleagues "mispronouncing" it?  Smiley  Smiley

--

fritz

OK, so rather than immediately jump to the conclusion that that is the lamest bit of corporate spin I've ever heard, let ask in what language is Cajun pronounced  "kah-yoon" and what did our German brethren believe this word to mean? What did they think we would make of it?

The nerve of Americans to mistake "Cajun" (kah-yoon: a small furry swamp dweller) for "Cajun", a small furry swamp dweller.

I guess if we have to ask, we just don't get it.

--

"When you design a car around the customer's wishes, you get cup holders. When you design a car around innovative thinking, you get a Porsche."

I dunno - "Cajun" just reminds me of a chicken topping for a Create Your Own pizza at Pizza Hut  

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Funny story (actually sad...it is true): One of my customers has a daughter named...Cayenne (no kidding). When I called the girl Cayenne, the little girl corrected me and told me this is pronounced "Cheyenne".  Little background: many Germans actually say Cheyenne to the Cayenne, I don't have a clue why. When her mother came in, I asked her too how the name is pronounced and she told me....Cheyenne. I then asked her where she took this name from and she told me...from the Porsche Cayenne. Taking it a little bit too personal (stupid me, I shouldn't do that with a customer), I then told her that I owned a Porsche Cayenne and that this is pronounced Cayenne and not Cheyenne. You should have seen her reaction, "do you think I'm dumb, I know how to pronounce Porsche Cheyenne". 

She is a cashier at a supermarket but nethertheless, it is pretty painful to have to say Cheyenne to her daughter each time I see her, even if I know that the correct pronunciation is Cayenne.

Porsche should really re-consider their name choices, I even know a Cayenne owner who pronounces the name Cheyenne.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

haha that's a funny story. Poor girl, her parents were too lazy to come up with a real name... why would you name your daughter after an SUV

Porsche should stick to numbers, though now im thinking there may be a poor bastard named 911. That would be even worse..

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Suggestions for a "Cajun" name change:

1. Cayenne Sport

2. Cayenne Coupe (if it really is going to be a 2-door only)

3. Cayenne Z

4. Cayenne LT (for "light") 

5. Cayenne R

Alternatives:

1. Cayun

2. Cayes

3. Cay

Not really an expert in name giving. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

I like "Cayenne Sport"!

Cayenne R should only be used if it is in fact a "R" rated car. (doubtful)

The other option is to drop the Cayenne name completely (which I will not miss) and call it something along the lines of Porsche 4x4 SWB (short wheel base) or ORS (Off Road Sport) or SURV (Sports Utility Recreational Vehicle).

Unfortunately , I think the ridiculous names are here to stay so I expect something along the lines of Cayun, Cay-dos, Cay-tres, Cojones!

Maybe we'll see another play on the pepper/Louisianan theme set in motion by the Cayenne.

Porsche Cubanelle.
    Porsche Habanero.
    Porsche Jalapeno.
    Porsche Pimiento.
    Porsche Serrano.
    Porsche Tabasco.

Hm... Serrano. Spanish name --> Carrera... Looks like we may have a contender.

Now if you'll excuse me, all this talk of peppers has made me peckish.

rulesdontapply

rulesdontapply:

Maybe we'll see another play on the pepper/Louisianan theme set in motion by the Cayenne.

Porsche Cubanelle.
    Porsche Habanero.
    Porsche Jalapeno.
    Porsche Pimiento.
    Porsche Serrano.
    Porsche Tabasco.

Hm... Serrano. Spanish name --> Carrera... Looks like we may have a contender.

Now if you'll excuse me, all this talk of peppers has made me me peckish.

rulesdontapply

..or Porsche Naga Jolokia (the hottest chilli pepper in the world)

RC, Does Cheyennes' mother pronounce Porsche as "Porsh" or "Porsha" ?
    --

2003 Cayenne Turbo

Cayenne Sprint ?
    --

2003 Cayenne Turbo

Carrageous:

OK, so rather than immediately jump to the conclusion that that is the lamest bit of corporate spin I've ever heard, let ask in what language is Cajun pronounced  "kah-yoon" and what did our German brethren believe this word to mean? What did they think we would make of it?

The nerve of Americans to mistake "Cajun" (kah-yoon: a small furry swamp dweller) for "Cajun", a small furry swamp dweller.

I guess if we have to ask, we just don't get it.

According to one post I read somewhere, the internal "working title" for the project, "Cajun", was arrived at by abbreviating "Cayenne Junior, which is quite credible. 

What is barely credible is that anyone would consider carrying over this internal name as a model name without the simplest of checks on its possible meanings, interpretations in other major languages. 

--

fritz

Very amusing.  So between the lines, then, we at Porsche have  learned from an American colleague that our refined and euphonic name will be utterly distorted, mangled and many will take offense.

--

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

It's interesting how different people pronounce the name Cayenne. I invariably hear "Kay-yen" here in the UK. When in Germany, I have heard "Kay-yen" and also "Ki-yen". I wonder which one Germans consider correct?

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm sports suspension/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

i have agood german friend with the same 'cheyenne' problem.

corrected him so many times but still...

i guess he thinks that i am wrong with my 'cayenne'

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I've been going with "Ki-yen" or "Kay-yen" ever since I was little and would refer to the pepper, the capital of French Guyana and the Porsche that way. I've been hearing the following renditions over the years:

"Ki-yen."
    "Kay-yen."
    "Kah-yen."
    "Kah-yeen."
    "Kay-anne."
    "Kah-yanne."

Looks like the word will be twisted no matter what. I still can't get over the reasoning behind Porsche's sudden name change for the Cajun. I opposed it from the start, but they're changing it just because their American colleagues 'mispronounced' it?

Really?

rulesdontapply

I would suggest CAYUGA for the new Cajun. It's a county in the state NY and subpart of the Iroquoise as well.
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Conny997:
    I would suggest CAYUGA for the new Cajun. It's a county in the state NY and subpart of the Iroquoise as well.

Nah, you'd probably then get some German parents naming their daughter Cayuga ................ and pronouncing it Tschey-udja.  Smiley

--

fritz

Conny997:

It's also the site of a local track just west of here : http://www.torontomotorsportspark.com/

RC:

Funny story (actually sad...it is true): One of my customers has a daughter named...Cayenne (no kidding). When I called the girl Cayenne, the little girl corrected me and told me this is pronounced "Cheyenne".  Little background: many Germans actually say Cheyenne to the Cayenne, I don't have a clue why. When her mother came in, I asked her too how the name is pronounced and she told me....Cheyenne. I then asked her where she took this name from and she told me...from the Porsche Cayenne. Taking it a little bit too personal (stupid me, I shouldn't do that with a customer), I then told her that I owned a Porsche Cayenne and that this is pronounced Cayenne and not Cheyenne. You should have seen her reaction, "do you think I'm dumb, I know how to pronounce Porsche Cheyenne". 

She is a cashier at a supermarket but nethertheless, it is pretty painful to have to say Cheyenne to her daughter each time I see her, even if I know that the correct pronunciation is Cayenne.

Porsche should really re-consider their name choices, I even know a Cayenne owner who pronounces the name Cheyenne.

Way to go RC, I am sure your customer appreciate your high level of discretion and  care Smiley

hugo:

Way to go RC, I am sure your customer appreciate your high level of discretion and  care Smiley

She and her family are still coming to me, I guess I stopped my bickering in time. Smiley

Thanks god I'm in a job where professional trust is extremely important, so I can actually be more blunt from time to time without loosing a customer/patient. Smiley

--

I suggest Porsche Baja, Naja or Gaia/ Gaja Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

rulesdontapply:

I've been going with "Ki-yen" or "Kay-yen" ever since I was little and would refer to the pepper, the capital of French Guyana and the Porsche that way. I've been hearing the following renditions over the years:

"Ki-yen."
    "Kay-yen."
    "Kah-yen."
    "Kah-yeen."
    "Kay-anne."
    "Kah-yanne."

Looks like the word will be twisted no matter what. I still can't get over the reasoning behind Porsche's sudden name change for the Cajun. I opposed it from the start, but they're changing it just because their American colleagues 'mispronounced' it?

Really?

rulesdontapply

The right pronunciation is Kah-yenn Smiley

Right pronunciation for Porsche is Porsheh.

Maybe this (taken from the internet) helps, even if I'm not really sure it should be explained with -uh:

What is the correct pronunciation of Porsche? While the “proper” way to pronounce some German terms in English may be debatable, this isn't one of them. Porsche is a family name, and the family members pronounce their surname PORSH-uh, not PORSH! Same for the car. You don't say NYKE for Nike, so don't be lazy and leave off the e in Porsche! Porsche's U.S. TV commercials pronounce the name correctly and so should you.

--

bigbuzuki:
    RC, Does Cheyennes' mother pronounce Porsche as "Porsh" or "Porsha" ?

She is German, she got it right. Smiley

--

bigbuzuki:
    Cayenne Sprint ?

As in Mercedes Sprint (a transporter) ? Nope, not going to happen.

--

What's with the the German using impossible to pronoun names? I thought Germans are technical, straight forward?

How about redoing the whole Porsche line?

911  ---> 911

Panamera --> 911 Long

Cayenne --> 911 Xtra Large

Cajun --> 911 Large

Cayman --> 911 Short

Boxster --> 911 Small

Future 928? Easy, 911 Medium.

People will misrpronounce just about any car name. 

In the U.S., Peugeot (Puh szhow) is almost always pronounced Pew sho.

Ford is--in the South--pronounced Fohd.  Chevrolet is Shivoleh.  Honda is honder, Toyota is Toyoter.  BMW is BMdubya.  SUV is esshewvee. Smiley

RC:
    hugo:

She and her family are still coming to me, I guess I stopped my bickering in time. Smiley

Thanks god I'm in a job where professional trust is extremely important, so I can actually be more blunt from time to time without loosing a customer/patient. Smiley

Good job RC.

Please say Hi to her son Cayman for me.Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe #13;  2011 Panamera 4

Targa Tim:
    RC:
    hugo:

Good job RC.

Please say Hi to her son Cayman for me.Smiley

She has no son and I am going to be the last person on earth to give here the wrong idea (about the name choice of a possible future son). Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759314 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433601 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259687 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256821 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80535 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870579 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805519 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM