Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2011 Detroit Auto Show | 'Spectacular' Porsche concept debut

Porsche 918 Spyder rendered - model may debut in Detroit...

This is a rendering of the Porsche 918 Spyder which may debut at the Detroit auto show next month as a production-ready model.

Porsche has hinted in a recent press release at a "spectacular" Detroit debut for an unspecified model and the production 918 Spyder seems the likeliest bet.

Or it may just be the most wishful.

But Porsche has not been at the Detroit show in years and they would want to return with a splash.

Porsche-918-Coupe_WCF-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

So Porsche has found a way to exploit Audis excess capacity to build R8 chassis? 

After the Cayenne/Q7//Q5/and the new smaller Cayenne I would not put it past them!

I hope its more than just cross brand platform extension.

JimFlat6:

So Porsche has found a way to exploit Audis excess capacity to build R8 chassis? 

After the Cayenne/Q7//Q5/and the new smaller Cayenne I would not put it past them!

You know that might just be the ticket. It would explain the absence of any significant development time for an "over the 911" mid-engine sports car.  It would also allow Porsche to offer the car at a much lower price, just above the Turbo, and probably under $200K USD.  It would be ironic if the first non-limited production mid-engine Porsche above the 911 turned out to be an Audi in Porsche clothing!Smiley

--

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

DaveC:
    JimFlat6:

You know that might just be the ticket. It would explain the absence of any significant development time for an "over the 911" mid-engine sports car.  It would also allow Porsche to offer the car at a much lower price, just above the Turbo, and probably under $200K USD.  It would be ironic if the first non-limited production mid-engine Porsche above the 911 turned out to be an Audi in Porsche clothing!Smiley

Or Lambo in Audi in Porsche clothing.  Not a bad thing really!

Apparently it has been confirmed: Porsche is going to present the 918 Spyder COUPE at the Detroit auto show. Ouch.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Allright, so much for the "spectacular" part then :P

Christian, will this be an addiional model to the 918 spyder, or will this be the production version, where the spyder was "just" a concept?

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

I'm disappointed! I presume this will be the customer version of 918 which is out of most people's budget.

I expected a front engined coupe based on the Panamera (but with better looks) for "normal" buyers who wished to move out of  the 911 models.

--

"Form follows function"

Seems I need to research other definitions for "spectacular" beyond what I thought I already knew. 

--

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

If the coupe really is presented, I'm going to be one step closer to giving up on Porsche.

Their buildup and subsequent release for the Cayman R was a complete letdown. While I'm sure the R will be a phenomenal drive, Porsche didn't put enough into it to warrant the incredible image they built up prior to its unveiling.

I hope the coupe is just a rumor and that they come up with something else. The 918 is by all means a revolutionary sportscar, but it's time for new surprises; surprises that don't necessarily cost hundreds of thousands of Euros.

Zero hour: January 10, 6:30 AM, Detroit time. We'll be there.

Two words, Porsche: bring it.

rulesdontapply

What's the fuss all about? All of us were speechless, when 918 Spyder was released and almost 99% were "Please Porsche bring it to live!!!".

Now it's going to be reality and you are negative - why? 10.01.2011 will be a remarkable day for automotive history as a whole, so I'm really happy, that Porsche was brave enough to produce this model!

We will have enough time for Panamera Coupe, 458 rival, etc... Give the 918 all the glory and time, which it really deserves.

I wonder if they will use this platform for the next Gallardo and R8?

So the 918 will end up with the current V8 TT or the RS Spyder Naturally Aspirated ?

--

918 with a 4 cyl engine...now that would be 'Spectacular'

Boyko23:

What's the fuss all about? All of us were speechless, when 918 Spyder was released and almost 99% were "Please Porsche bring it to live!!!".

Now it's going to be reality and you are negative - why? 10.01.2011 will be a remarkable day for automotive history as a whole, so I'm really happy, that Porsche was brave enough to produce this model!

We will have enough time for Panamera Coupe, 458 rival, etc... Give the 918 all the glory and time, which it really deserves.

We were speechless because it was unexpected, it pleasantly surprised everyone. but making a huge deal out of a future release by throwing around words like spectacular and then just releasing the same car with a roof is where porsche fails. they tend to build up so much anticipation that the final product falls short. 

Enmanuel:
    Boyko23:

We were speechless because it was unexpected, it pleasantly surprised everyone. but making a huge deal out of a future release by throwing around words like spectacular and then just releasing the same car with a roof is where porsche fails. they tend to build up so much anticipation that the final product falls short. 

The 918 Spyder was just a concept car. Now if the Detroit car is production ready with the right styling (that deviates from the concept as it usually happens) and super performance this will be even more exciting for Porsche fans.

However, such a car is addressed to a small minority and besides its halo effect it's irrelevant for me.

Myself and others as Porsche fans and owners  would be more elated if they presented a V8 front engined coupe to go into production asap. Many people want to drive a sports Porsche but they also want to get out of the 911.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The 918 Spyder was just a concept car. Now if the Detroit car is production ready with the right styling (that deviates from the concept as it usually happens) and super performance this will be even more exciting for Porsche fans.

We have just read an official statement in another thread in the last few days that only one prototype of the Spyder exists so far, and saw that prototype being driven some time ago in Monterey, CA, as if it was powered by a lawn mower motor. So all the testing and development work still has to be done.
    I think you can safely rule out a production-ready Coupe version at the Detroit Motor Show. Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    reginos:

We have just read an official statement in another thread in the last few days that only one prototype of the Spyder exists so far, and saw that prototype being driven some time ago in Monterey, CA, as if it was powered by a lawn mower motor. So all the testing and development work still has to be done.
    I think you can safely rule out a production-ready Coupe version at the Detroit Motor Show. Smiley

It will be just another concept car then. A variation on the 918 theme Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Yes, I remember they said somewere about the 918 coupe that they will be presenting just a "concept".

--

Porsche 918 Coupe in Detroit...

2011-Porsche-918-Coupe_AutoExpress.jpg

Reports suggest race-specific 918 Coupe is Porsche's 'spectacular' surprise for Detroit show...

(4 January 2011)

The ultimate Porsche is almost here! Speculation has been rife ever since the German firm let slip that it would be unveiling something ‘spectacular’ at the Detroit Motor Show next week - but only now has information began to trickle about what the newcomer will be.

According to our German sister magazine AutoBild, the Detroit surprise will be the second instalment in the 918 series, more specifically a coupe version of the hybrid 918 Spyder hypercar shown in Geneva last year. And our rendering gives an indication of how the show-stopping new model will shape up.

One thing’s for sure, with a low and wide stance, stubby nose section and muscular haunches the 918 coupe will look every inch the flagship for Porsche’s range. But if our sources are to be believed, this is a story with a twist in its tail.

Rather than simply showing a road-going 918 Coupe, it’s a race-ready 918 that will grace the Detroit stand. Building race-specific models for privateer racing teams, such as the 911 GT3 RSR, is a hugely profitable enterprise for Porsche, so this theory would seem to add-up.

It's not the first time we've seen race-ready versions of high-performance road cars recently, either. McLaren has relesed an official sketch of its MP4-12C GT3 car, while Ferrari's 458 Italia Challenge has also broken cover.

There’s no word on how the power will be provided just yet, but expect a similar hybrid set up to the 918 Spyder, which combined a 493bhp 3.4-litre unit from the companies existing Spyder race car with three electric motors for a total of 718bhp.

If the coupe version does appear in racing trim, expect it to weigh even less than the 918 Spyder’s 1,490kg kerbweight too – suggesting a 0-62mph sprint in around three seconds and a 200mph top speed.

For all the official details and images of Porsche’s Detroit star, visit AutoExpress next Monday January 10, when we’ll be reporting live from the show floor...

2011-Porsche-918-Coupe_AutoExpress-link

Smiley SmileySmiley

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Reports suggest race-specific 918 Coupe is Porsche's 'spectacular' surprise for Detroit show...

(4 January 2011)

Rather than simply showing a road-going 918 Coupe, it’s a race-ready 918 that will grace the Detroit stand. Building race-specific models for privateer racing teams, such as the 911 GT3 RSR, is a hugely profitable enterprise for Porsche, so this theory would seem to add-up.

Race-ready? 

So which existing racing category would this car be able to run in competitively?  Smiley

--

fritz

I think that is great, of course a coupe would be more sensible in 918 clothes than a spyder. I think we will definitely see the spyder, but why not a more serious production ready coupe first. Remember Porsche charges more for a coupe than a spyder

I don't think it will be on the R8 chassis or anything. That was just announced. They said Porsche started the 918 development right after the CGT was done, so it's gone way back. It also has a full carbon chassis, so it's based on the CGT if anything..

This being the new topend Porsche, i think it is pretty spectacular indeed... it even has a racing engine

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

fritz:
    Boxster Coupe GTS:

(4 January 2011)

Race-ready? 

So which existing racing category would this car be able to run in competitively?  Smiley

Smiley Fantasy Concept Class? Smiley

--

Enmanuel:

E.g., Cayman R? 

Atzporsche:

They said Porsche started the 918 development right after the CGT was done, so it's gone way back. 

When and where was that said?  Smiley

--

fritz

Wolfgang Dürheimer meets Chris Harris at the launch of the Porsche 918 Spyder...

Wolfgang-Dürheimer-Porsche-918-Spyder_Chris-Harris_Evo-video_part-1

Wolfgang-Dürheimer-Porsche-918-Spyder_Chris-Harris_Evo-video_part-2

Smiley SmileySmiley

So it took "more or less" 6 years (start of production of the Carrera GT in 2004 to first showing of the 918) to build just a concept car? 

Yeh, yeh. If you say so. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    Atzporsche:

They said Porsche started the 918 development right after the CGT was done, so it's gone way back. 

In a Porsche video, i forget which one. A factory driver said they started development pretty much after the CGT. I wish i remembered the link or video Smiley

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

I think, it makes sense, Porsche to present the 918 race version, which will compete in 24h of N-ring this year. This was already announced some months ago…
    If they put enough factory support, it will be great advertisement of the new model and good opportunity to sell really fast the street legal version after that.  

Well, at least if it is a race model, it will be pretty spectacular, right? That is what porschephiles all over the world have been dreaming of for a long time... especially if it will be a Le Mans car...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Atzporsche:
    fritz:
    Atzporsche:

In a Porsche video, i forget which one. A factory driver said they started development pretty much after the CGT. I wish i remembered the link or video Smiley

It's in the vid that Boxster Coupe GTS linked to right under my post asking that question  -   Chris Harris interviewing Wolfgang Dürheimer.

I wouldn't put too much value on "throw-away" comments like that one. 

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775729 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440894 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262342 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260531 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879936 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814888 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM