Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New M5 rumor mill gossip

Herbaliser:

A 2-tone sedan with RWD that can be driven hard only on a perfect weather doesn't make sense to me.

That is simply not the case, RWD is far from obsolete. If you are a good driver, it offers a much more rewarding driving experience IMHO. My M5 (e39) is a perfect example of a powerful, 2 ton, RWD sedan that can be driven hard and safely on the road. As long as the road is dry, I always deactivate traction control. If it is raining, I don't think driving hard is a good idea period!

Most cars are set up to understeer from the factory, the M5 is no exception, I have done much to dial out this understeer to the point that the car corners neutrally. The limits are high, but it is possible to adjust cornering attitude using the throttle without fear of losing control.

If I were in the market for a new M5, I would insist on RWD. I do think Xdrive should be available as an option for those who live in colder/wet climates.

RC, i am with you.

why would i go for a sedan when today's power-suv's offer the best of both worlds.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

RC, i am with you.

why would i go for a sedan when today's power-suv's offer the best of both worlds.

Because many people who defend sedans, don't seem to have a clue about the capabilities of high performance SUVs.  Smiley  Smiley

Of course there is also the higher fuel consumption but the benefits of a high performance SUV instead of a sedan are huge, especially in regions with bad weather, bad streets or if you have a large family (or a wife with lots of luggage... Smiley).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

trip:
    Herbaliser:

A 2-tone sedan with RWD that can be driven hard only on a perfect weather doesn't make sense to me.

That is simply not the case, RWD is far from obsolete. If you are a good driver, it offers a much more rewarding driving experience IMHO. My M5 (e39) is a perfect example of a powerful, 2 ton, RWD sedan that can be driven hard and safely on the road. As long as the road is dry, I always deactivate traction control. If it is raining, I don't think driving hard is a good idea period!

After watching a M5 in snow, I can assure you: if the M5 doesn't need 4WD, I don't know which other car would need it. xDrive would be a huge success on the M5.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Totally agree ! here in Switzerland for examples Mercedes has loost a lot of customers because of not having had a long time 4wheel versions for their limousines etc - now picking up this trend with the CLS as well.

Audi got that market advantage here for a long time and from a traction point of view to have 4wheel drive is a very good thing specially with 500 HP plus car. Just this morning you could have not driven a RHD M5 - but certainly yr M5 x....+15 cm snow overnight !

I never understood why a high power car should have RWD only. Beside of bad weather like snow and ice y've a lot of problems even on wet roads due to the loss of grip during start and/or strong acceleration.
    --
    Kind regards, Conny 

Porsche 997.2 Turbo S  *  BMW X5 M

Conny997:
    I never understood why a high power car should have RWD only. Beside of bad weather like snow and ice y've a lot of problems even on wet roads due to the loss of grip during start and/or strong acceleration.

Smiley Many believe that AWD takes away the fun but modern AWD systems can be tweaked in various ways to keep the fun. Smiley

--

absolutely agree

99% of these cars are driven on a daily basis on normal roads. 4wd is a huge advantage.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

In dry climates and excluding Utility Vehicles, 4wd is not enjoyable at all, unless you go over 500 HP.

--

"Form follows function"

I kick-down at 60km/h activates the traction control on my RS6 if the tires are not warm enough. And this is with the "boring" torsen quattro...Whatever they do with those 2-ton sedans, the level of fun they provide will never touch a proper sports car. So why bother with the RWD.

Last year when I went to the pre-launch presentation of the Panamera in Leipzig, we were given many different Porsches to drive on the track to compare them with the Panamera. Guess what I did - after the first 15 min I changed my Panamera Turbo for a Boxster then I got a Carrera...and didn't look back for the Panamera. Its a fantastic car but If you want fun - get a "small" Porsche.

Another thing that I will miss in the current and future sport sedans is the V10 sound and vibration. The unique cylinder firing sequence of the V10 is amazing. You just feel that you drive an exotic sport engine, not a super-smooth, upgraded V8 derived from a standard production model.

I disagree with you guys regarding AWD.  I like to play with the rear end of the car a little when I am driving late at night or in the middle of no where.  For example, I just came home (it's 2.30am) and it was raining outside.  I was having fun drifting my GT3 with MPSC tyres at relatively low speed at various intersections.  Would never have been able to do that in a AWD car!  That is also why I love driving our M3.  It has such a playful chassis that will allow me to lighten the tail as I wished.  When I test drove the RS5, I hated it.  Sure it is a bloody fast car and hugely competent, but I just could not "play" with the rear end like I can with the M3.  Of course, having said all that, I live in sunny Australia and the only snow is 2.5 hours away from me up at the ski fields.

WAY:

I disagree with you guys regarding AWD.  I like to play with the rear end of the car a little when I am driving late at night or in the middle of no where.  For example, I just came home (it's 2.30am) and it was raining outside.  I was having fun drifting my GT3 with MPSC tyres at relatively low speed at various intersections.  Would never have been able to do that in a AWD car!  That is also why I love driving our M3.  It has such a playful chassis that will allow me to lighten the tail as I wished.  When I test drove the RS5, I hated it.  Sure it is a bloody fast car and hugely competent, but I just could not "play" with the rear end like I can with the M3.  Of course, having said all that, I live in sunny Australia and the only snow is 2.5 hours away from me up at the ski fields.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Although my E39 M5 is far from state of the art these days, it remains a very competent and fun car to drive. With the considerable modifications I have made to the suspension, the car handles as well as modern day super-saloons, it just isn't as powerful. Despite weighing 4000 lbs, the car is now quite nimble and very well balanced. As WAY said of his M3, an extremely playful chasis. If the M5 wasn't RWD, I would not be nearly as fond of it. This is one of the reasons I am not a fan of Audi's super-saloon offerings, the AWD system and nose-heavy cornering attitude kill the fun.

I admit, the Bay Area is a fairly dry climate and we never get snow, perhaps if I lived in Northern Europe my opinion would change. I would also like to add that I completely understand the rational for AWD sedans and even super-suv's. If I had the means to afford a dedicated RWD sports car as well as a family hauler / daily driver, the hauler would be an AWD SUV capable of nasty weather and Lake Tahoe adventures. In the future, this is likely the mix I will go for, although I hope to keep the E39, it is just so compelling!

Nothing beats RWD both for fun and speed on dry tarmac / track. Winter time requires AWD though, or FWD at the very least.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

2012 showroom release for the M5, sounds a bit too far off?....

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

2011 is more like it.

--

intouch1:

2011 is more like it.

Press release will be in Summer next year, launch at the IAA Frankfurt Motor show in September.

reginos:

In dry climates and excluding Utility Vehicles, 4wd is not enjoyable at all, unless you go over 500 HP.

--

"Form follows function"

I guess you are one of the few lucky ones.  Smiley

Unfortunately we have a lot of snow and rain in Germany, AWD is a huge benefit.

--

Are these the real pix ?

bmw-f10-m5-1.jpg

bmw-f10-m5-2.jpg

bmw-f10-m5-3.jpg

bmw-f10-m5-4.jpg

bmw-f10-m5-5.jpg

--
    Happy Driving

Hmmm looks photoshopped. Also, too similar to the regular 5er and the little M bits seem to be from the last generation. Surely we will see something more aggressive. Trunk spoiler? It's a PS and the real thing will be way nicer! 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

its a PS, but a really good one. 

The wheels looks horrible, they look so feminine, I am sure BMW M has better taste than that.

That thing is the real deal!

i doubt it is. lines look random.

--

It'll have better rims and an actual new front and rear bumper.. this is just the last one someone slapped on the new chassis in a photoshop. New M5 think, some 6er lines and maybe even some i8 elements mixed with that aggressive new "softness" 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Photos look nice (if real) but what bothers me is the M5 Saloon license plates. I can't imagine that BMW uses the description Saloon in Europe, so maybe this is just a good photoshop job done by talented US M5 fan.  

I posted the photos in the official german M forum, if they get deleted, we have our confirmation. 

--

Just got this in from BMW: Photoshop. Cheers.  

--

Also, the new M5 will have air intakes in the bonnet, correct?.......

--

throt

"I didn't do it"

RC:

I posted the photos in the official german M forum, if they get deleted, we have our confirmation. 

Smiley Smiley

--
    Happy Driving

RC:

Photos look nice (if real) but what bothers me is the M5 Saloon license plates. I can't imagine that BMW uses the description Saloon in Europe, so maybe this is just a good photoshop job done by talented US M5 fan.  

Why not use the word saloon in Europe? 

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662640 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401312 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254609 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229281 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59666 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4383 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853589 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    762050 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM