Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide - USA Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Carrera GTS

I am placing my reservation/order today for a January build GTS (White Cabriolet).  Smiley   I LOVE this car!!!  It's just what I've been waiting for (for too long!)...glad I held out for this one! 

I have heard that only 200 are being allocated to the USA.  Could this be true??  Smiley  Dealers in my area have told me they are getting only ONE allocation (so far).   

Re: Carrera GTS

Welcome to rennteam.  GTS is not a limited edition and I have a feeling your dealer is trying to charge you major premium on top of window sticker.

Check with other dealers too.

--
    Happy Driving

I have spoken to several dealers.  I'll be paying about $2,000 over invoice.  Smiley  It's my second Porsche so I know all the dealers around here pretty well.   ...but think they are being fed a line of BS from PCNA.  PCNA is a pain in the butt to deal with!!!   Smiley 

There's no way I'd pay a premium to the dealer in this economy, especially since they always add on extra BS to the sticker.  I could live w/ MSRP and no dealer add ons if I had to, but that would be as far as I'd go.  The limited allocation is also BS as Ron stated.  I'm sure Porsche isn't going to crank them out given the limited life expectancy for the 997, but the GTS isn't the Speedster or Sport Classic. Good luck, it's a terrific car w/ great specifications.

--

Carpe Diem--life is but a crack of light bounded by eternities of darkness (Nabokov)

Thanks for your comments and the heads-up.  You can bet I will be shopping the GTS specs I want and the pricing with several dealers in order to see who is hungry these days!   ...should be interesting.  I will post any good info I find.

Either way you won't see many GTS, i think it's a fantastic model from porsche. Really nice end of life for the 997. Great order, i can't wait for the pictures to come. It's just stuning in white!!

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

Hey Atzporsche,

Thanks for the vote of confidence!  You stated my sentiments....EXACTLY!!    Happy motoring!

Congratulations Doug...Smiley

I've ordered a GTS as discussed in this thread .....

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20179486/Carrera_GTS_Porsche_911_Now_Even_Sportier/page1.html

There's been no mention of a price premium in the UK but OPC's over here concur that, although it's not an official limited edition, it will become limited due to the short production run and low allocation numbers..Smiley

Don (Dasein) has just ordered one in the USA - you could ask him about terms etc. over there. 

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Thanks John...and congrats to you! (and your friend Don)  Smiley 

I am still trying to finish up my specs for the configuration on the January build I have reserved. Hopefully that will happen this week but PCNA is very hard to pin down when it comes to specific details on this.

I expect to have the final specs this week sometime and then will check pricing with a few dealers.

...appreciate feedback from anyone now going through this here in US.  Thanks!

Plenty of 'specs' discussion on the above thread for you to chew through...

What have you come up with so far on the configurator?

--

They don't have a complete "car configurator" for the GTS on the website...only a list of Standard and Optional equipment.  There is enough information there for me to put my specs together...but the problem is finding out from PCNA is those options are "available" with the January build.

Porsche is nortorius for telling you an option is available and then telling you it is not! (that specific build date...but "may be available in the future").  I am wondering if anyone knows how many "options" loisted on the website are TRULY available with the earliest build dates (Jan or Feb) for US orders.  Thanks!

Check the German Configurator on www.porsche.de All options are listed with accurate availability dates.

Even if you don't speak German use a dictionary or the google translation facility.

Many German speakers here will help you.

--

"Form follows function"

That's awesome, Thanks Reginos!  Smiley ...exactly what I was looking for. 

Now the trick will be to see if PCNA (USA Porsche) will honor that configuration website.   

doug1950:

That's awesome, Thanks Reginos!  Smiley ...exactly what I was looking for. 

Now the trick will be to see if PCNA (USA Porsche) will honor that configuration website.   

If you choose print (drucken) at the end of your configuration,  a PDF file is created with the Option Codes of the options you have chosen. You mention those to your Porsche Center.

--

"Form follows function"

Got it, thanks!  I have spoken to a local dealer and we can use the German configurator (for now).  However, the dealer cannot tell me FOR CERTAIN if the option I want will be available for the build month I am reserving (January).  

...sending my deposit check today to reserve the order...and I can always cancel later and wait for another build month if the car the way I want it cannot be built in January.  I have to wait and see...  

Great! Keep us informed. If you want an option badly better wait a bit longer until it's available. Unless of course you can have it retrofitted.

--

"Form follows function"

As a little side note: today I heard the rumor that the GTS may become a standard model in the new 991 model lineup and that the widebody=AWD model policy has been terminated.

Not sure how true this is but to me, it would make sense.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

DaveC:

There's no way I'd pay a premium to the dealer in this economy...

Very well said. I get the feeling that some dealers want to profit from people who they think are still wealthy and can afford it. In this economy, the customer actually has pretty good chances to get some pretty sweet deals.

I don't have a clue about GTS allocations for the US but since the GTS is not a limited production car, I highly doubt that there is any limit. Maybe PCNA has introduced some sort of limitation of allocation but I highly doubt it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:
    Maybe PCNA has introduced some sort of limitation of allocation but I highly doubt it.

"Slow production" rather than limited production, thats what I'd call it. Leaving the door open to sell many of them but at the same time keeping it a special model.

The latest I have heard is that Porsche has planned (hoping) to build 1,000 GTS models for now. 

I agree...it is indeed not a "limited edition", but probably limited more by sluggish economy, etc. 

Allocations are slow here in Calif.  Most dealers are getting only one or two cars allocated per month, if they are one of the larger dealers.  I am "next on the list" for a January build at my dealer, if they get an allocation.  They are one of the largest dealers in Calif and only got two cars allocated to them for December. 

At this snails pace, I doubt you will see many of these cars sitting on car lots in 2011, or rather until the economy improves. 

Regarding pricing, dealers are telling me in the US it will sell for MSRP...no premium upcharges.

We need to understand that the 991, the 997 successor, is just around the corner. Early 2011, the 991 should be made official. Of course Porsche won't produce 10000 GTS anymore until 991 production starts (very likely around March with pre-production starting slightly earlier) but I think that chances are pretty good that anyone who wants a GTS can actually get one. The problem may be allocation indeed since I can imagine that 2 cars for a Californian dealer are more of a limitation than 2 cars for a dealer in Cleveland. The Californian dealer very likely moves these cars very fast but a Cleveland dealer ?...  Just a stupid example but you get my point.

--

RC:

As a little side note: today I heard the rumor that the GTS may become a standard model in the new 991 model lineup and that the widebody=AWD model policy has been terminated.

Not sure how true this is but to me, it would make sense.

Hmmmm!!

That puts a new complexion on the purchase of a 997 GTS now... if a 991 GTS is just around the corner..Smiley

Then again... it will still be a few years before the 991.2 GTS arrives... so makes no difference really..Smiley

--

Porsche is a brilliant marketing machine when it comes to sports cars...so there will ALWAYS be something new that we will want every other year or so, right?  Smiley 

...but then that's half the fun of it all!

I completed the GTS configuation with the dealer and ordered the car today.  Smiley   

...build date is Dec. 3...late January delivery most likely. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689721 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409332 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255795 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235020 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65547 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858088 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774160 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM