Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2010 South Korean F1 Grand Prix

10 days to go till Friday Practice at the new Yeongam circuit in South Korea. Being a new circuit, I guess none of us really knows what to expect. At least, it appears that everything is all set and there will be a race taking place there.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/10/11382.html

IMHO it's a little risky for a brand new circuit to play such a major part in the final stages of the championship. I would have been happier if this had been one of the flyaway races near the start of the season - rather like Bahrain was when it hosted its inaugural race a few seasons ago.

I think Hamilton's and Button's chances have receded significantly since Japan. They don't have the quickest car, their team hasn't been able to set up the car to maximise its performance, the drivers have made errors or tactical mistakes that have meant they have not finished on the podium as consistently as necessary to beat the 2 Red Bull drivers or Alonso. Hamilton and Button depend now on something going wrong for the others i.e. their hopes are no longer entirely within their own hands.

More than ever, I see this as a straight fight between Alonso and the 2 Red Bull drivers.

However, it is too easy to fall into the trap of thinking how this will play out if all drivers perform to their best. But that's a big 'if'. Anything can happen. Engines and gearboxes may not last a race weekend. Drivers and/or their pit crews could make mistakes under pressure. A DNF can happen at any time for any reason. So any of these top 3 could become 2010 F1 World Champion.

I still think Alonso can do it but let's see. Red Bull returned to winning ways in Suzuka with an utterly dominant performance. When they win so easily like that, it really feels like this championship is theirs to lose.

http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/2010/

Mathematically, Webber is in the lead but when did he last win a race? Hungary was a long time ago. If Vettel keeps winning and Webber keeps coming second, Vettel will win the title.

Meanwhile Alonso needs to outscore both Red Bull drivers consistently. He also needs Massa to take points away from the 2 Red Bull drivers but I can't see that happening. Massa seems like a broken man since Hockenheim with no fight left in him. He is no 2 at Ferrari. He always was. But the tragedy is that he didn't want to believe it until it was communicated to him in front of the whole world. And now he seems deflated and demoralised. Other than earning money to pay the bills, there is no future for him at Ferrari except as Alonso's helper. He is a loyal man so maybe he will do this. But for how long? And how content will he be playing a secondary role?

I guess all will be revealed over the next few weeks Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg

Re: 2010 South Korean F1 Grand Prix

I didn't even know this till now. It's cool that SK gets an F1 race. I just checked out the circuit design on google and unfortunately it looks like it comes out of the Hungaroring mold, all turns and chicanes with limited fast sections.

It looks like a very technical circuit - it's designed by Herman Tilke. What I care about most is how much opportunity there will be to overtake

http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/korea_840/circuit_diagram.html

Turn 1 on lap 1 will see plenty of drama - Tilke keeps designing courses that almost guarantee a Safety Car on the first lap

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Judging from the layout, the first corner is a little like Suzuka.

People want a long straight for start/finish, somewhere it has to end with a corner. A slow corner is better since the accidents will be at lower speeds, so I can see the logic behind the layout.

It looks like a very interesting circuit, actually. Turns 4,5 & 6 look like they  might give some interesting overtaking strategies and then that long series of esses and double-apex turns looks interesting coming down the back.

I agree that it's an odd choice to stick a brand new course in at this point of the season. It's not broken in and no one's had a chance to drive it, I presume. It would be nice to extend an extra day of practice.

Question: does F1 make the track specs available for the simulators on a new track?

--

"When you design a car around the customer's wishes, you get cup holders. When you design a car around innovative thinking, you get a Porsche."

Not sure if this has been posted before on Rennteam:

Looks like it'll be an pretty course. Nice mountains in the background. That was just a couple of weeks ago, looks like they've got a huge amount of work to do.

Thanks for posting those.

--

"When you design a car around the customer's wishes, you get cup holders. When you design a car around innovative thinking, you get a Porsche."

Eunice:

Judging from the layout, the first corner is a little like Suzuka.

People want a long straight for start/finish, somewhere it has to end with a corner. A slow corner is better since the accidents will be at lower speeds, so I can see the logic behind the layout.

The best circuits are collection of straights joined by necessary corners

Monza (awesome)

Monza.png

hockenheim The old legend THE GRAY

Hokenheimring_(2in1).png

Paul Ricard

Paul_Ricard.png

Canada  2 straights + 2 hairpins

montreal79.jpg

Silverstone TURBO DAYS - even the corners were fast

silverstone.jpg

suzuka - graceful curves, still fast

SuzukaCircuit.png

Spa turbo

spa83.jpg

You´re welcome. I am also curious to find out how Korea´s first F1 weekend will be.

Thank you racerx. Awesome post.

Friday Practice lap times:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/results/8499352.stm

--

RT Moderator 
    - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Drivers complain about Korean circuit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9118137.stm

--

RT Moderator 

Special license plate granted by the government for Bernie while in South Korea.

32052565.2.jpg

From today's practice session.

02.jpg

201010228953459_r.jpg

Just watched the Friday practice, looks like the track is holding up well enough, other than a few areas like turn 16 and the sunken curbs. David Hobbs was wondering if that's the track starting to settle in places. It's built on pretty low-lying land.

McLaren looked great in practice, getting both cars in top five. Webber, as always, was spectacular and Alonso, too. Surprised to see Vettel in 7th, but it's only Friday after all.

I'm very concerned about the safety of that last corner and the blind entry into the pit lane. I can imagine something very ugly happening there.

And I'm a little worried about the track officials. Did anyone see when Algesuari spun and stuck in the middle of the track? The screen showed yellow, then red ... and the flagman behind the stalled car was still waving a green flag. 

That's a bit scary!

--

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/oct/19/bernie-ecclestone-interview

Ecclestone has never worried much about public opinion. Did he lose any sleep last year after describing Hitler as a politician who was "able to get things done"? "Not at all. I knew what I meant."

His apparent endorsement of Hitler was, he explains, an expression of his belief in dictatorships. "Absolutely. I get myself into so much trouble when I say these things but I don't think democracy is the way to run anything. Whether it's a company or anything you need someone who is going to turn the lights on and off. We had Mrs Thatcher and when she was in charge she did turn the lights on and off. She brought the country to where it was before it got muddled up again."

Ecclestone suggests that Max Mosley, despite his sado-masochistic lifestyle and his father's past as the founder of British fascism and a supporter of Hitler, "would have been a very good prime minister. Max would've been ideal. He would know how to handle things. Max had an awful lot going for him. Maybe people thought he was too clever."

Saddam Hussein was another dictator, like Hitler, who could "turn the lights off" with devastating brutality. But Ecclestone argues that he made Iraq a more stable country. "Absolutely. It's been proved, hasn't it?"

--

WHERE CAN I WATCH LIVE ONLINE FOR FREE? 

I am at work for another 3 hours! 

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

http://www.fromsport.com/v-0/8/76/v-87666.html 

thanks Thoma, what a race! Im devastated RBR took two DNFs this weekend after all their hard work.

--

indeed shifting is ancient technology - so is a fuel burning engine..  I happen to like both :) 

I still don't like the guy, but credit where credit is due.,  Alonso did well.

--

It was a great race, or so I hear. I have this clever system of recording the races so that, instead of watching them at 1 a.m. here, I can catch them with my  Sunday morning coffee. Unfortunately, that only works if the race is within the scheduled broadcast window. So my feed shut down at about lap 26.

But I did enjoy seeing fifteen laps of the SLS driving fast in the rain; hated seeing Webber lose it into the wall; and was filled with hope that the McLarens would pull something out of the bag.

I'm afraid my boy Jensen's championship season is over and Hamilton's seems doubtful. I just don't think McLaren has the car this year, for all they've tried. Meanwhile, Ferrari has the momentum and Red Bull, as usual, as the problems.

Kudos to the South Koreans: nothing they could do about the rain but, all in all, an interesting track and a good race.

--

Carrageous:

It was a great race, or so I hear. I have this clever system of recording the races so that, instead of watching them at 1 a.m. here, I can catch them with my  Sunday morning coffee. Unfortunately, that only works if the race is within the scheduled broadcast window. So my feed shut down at about lap 26.

You can program your DVR to automatically record an extra amount of time (I use 90 minutes) and I just barely made the finish.  I recommend you do the same.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs).  Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550 Maranello

I didn't know that, I'll check it out. Mine is DirecTV ... what's yours? Too bad we can't download recordings on a DVR and e-mail them to each other. 

Feel like boxing up your DVR and sending it down so I can watch the end of  the race? 

--

Grant, thanks for the tip. Just found where I can extend the recording and ALSO found that the broadcast is running again in a few minutes. Have to go out but I've set it to record and go an extra 90 minutes. Let's see if I can get the second half.

If I can my wife will be so thrilled!!! More racing!

--

A great drive from FA. Bad luck for Vettel. A decent drive from Hamilton but I was disappointed by Webber and Button. They should be pushing harder in the final few races. Instead, they both lost the initiative today.

I was disappointed by the race - no one's fault - rain usually mixes things up nicely but spending dozens of laps behind a safety car is too much of a potentially good thing.

I would have preferred it if they had just delayed the start instead.

I really think the South Koreans should have got everything ready much earlier. OK, so they lost 51 days due to rain but why didn't they just have the place ready months ago. That way, some weeks rain wouldn't have made a difference.

The track looked good but there was just sand and dirt all round it. No time even to finish the landscaping etc.

I thought the high kerbs were detrimental. Small kerbs allow skillful drivers to make some use of them. Timid drivers may steer clear. Gung ho drivers can get caught out. But if the kerbs are too big, no one can use them - you just lose it if you drive on them. Webber was the main culprit today.

There appear to be plenty of other things that need to be put right e.g. slippery concrete in the pit lane, pit lane exit leads straight to the racing line at turn 16 etc.

I think this circuit will be great in 2011. It was only operating at 85% today. I also think it was a mistake for it to host a race at the end of the calendar. This should have been scheduled for early in the season IMO.

The Red Bulls may be the fastest cars but over the course of the season, Alonso has performed best. IMO he would be a worthy 2010 World Champion (if he does eventually win it).

IMO Vettel isn't ready yet - as a driver, but also as a person. While Webber is where he is mainly because of the car (despite improving dramatically this season as a driver from the guy who kept blaming his bad luck and making excuse after excuse for underperforming in the past - IMO he has really stepped up a gear this year).

Sadly for Hamilton and Button, they haven't had the car to compete consistently at the front all season. They have only occasionally been able to outperform the others either because of rain or on one of the few circuits that really suited the McLaren car.

Rosberg was so unlucky today - feel v sorry for him. Schumi did well as did Massa and Barrichello. The quiet, unsung star today was Kubica. He was hardly shown on TV but he delivered today yet again.

Today, the rain really exposed the poor judgement of some of the less experienced drivers. They made avoidable mistakes through being over-eager.

My take on the championship is that Button is already looking like a beaten man. Hamilton will keep fighting but he just doesn't have the car to compete for the title. Webber made a bad mistake today. Very costly IMO.

It's become a straight fight between Vettel and Alonso now. Both guys really want it. The Red Bull is the better car but if I had to bet my life on it, I would bet on Alonso. He can handle the pressure and he seems really focussed.

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

What a race full of surprises !!!

Alonso knows how to do his homework, be conservative when its meant to be, use his head, and by far (vs Massa) put the F10 BEYOND ITS LIMITS and try and face the Red Bulls !!!

I'm very happy for him, can't wait for Interlagos !!!

On the other hand, it was sad watching Webber say goodbye to the championship for such a ¨ stupid¨ accident, I am sorry for him because apart from Alonso I would love Webber to win the title !

Also Vettel had very bad luck, but who hasnt during this season.....

I hope the F10 performs in good shape towards the Red Bull's for Interlagos, and hope to see a one to one fight vettel alonso with sunny weather in the brazilian track !!! That would be insane !

--

I would have loved seeing Webber getting the 2010 title this year. Alonso will probably take it, and if so it is indeed well deserved. I may not like the guy myself, but if he takes it it will be deserved. This being his first rain win says something, for better or worse...

--

Excellent post-race analysis from Andrew Benson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2010/10/alonso_in_champion_form_after.html

--

RT Moderator 

More post-race analysis from Martin Brundle

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9125998.stm

--

RT Moderator 

I don't know hwat Brundle is smoking but there was no way Hamilton could have won, his tires were completely gone by the last quarter of the race (he was already reporting problems mid race already) and he deserves plenty of merit for keeping the car on the track till the checkered flag and bringing it in second. Alonso was able to conserve tires well during the race and once that became a factor, he was able to open up a huge gap being able to maintain his race pace till the end, there were laps towards the end were Alonso was several seconds faster than Hamilton. Should Hamilton been in front of Alonso after the last pace car, Alonso would of had no trouble overtaking him and leaving him behind, fortunately for Hamilton, Massa was too far behind to catch up before the flag. I think Hamilton made a great drive, he went wide several times, but never lost it and managed second, you could not ask any more from him IMO as Brundle suggests.

I think Hamilton is a better overall driver than Vettel or Webber, and of course Button, its just that he doens't allways think smart and makes mistakes he could have avoided if he though of the big picture instead of the moment. He had a very very fast car right up to the last third of thre championship, and capitalised on it (as well as with the help of some questionable FIA desitions all in his favor too), but then threw it all away in three races with mistakes he could of have avoided. Once he manages that aspect of driving he will be a greater force to reckon with. Maybe he leart his lesson, because in Korea he seemed very focused and collected on the track. For next year's championship he, along with Alonso, would be my picks for the two driver's with most posibilities. Webber is on his way out and he is only getting older and may not have the opportunity of the fastest car on the grid as this year. Button is a smart driver but has never shown the same level as Hamilton or Alonso, and Vettel seems like he will never learn, he is not a newbie anymore, he breaks under pressure, has the wrong attitude about it, has given an image of a prick in some maneuvers on the track, and the RedBull may not have the advantage in speed that they had this year to be able to start every race in P1. If it were Hamilton or Alonso in the Redbull this year with Webber, they would be champion already and Webber would have been overshadowed.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690768 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410004 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256128 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235365 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774918 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM